Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
I can hardly wait for the conclusion of this. It's been quite a ride.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

A lot of it is obvious in hindsight, seeing Makoto taking charge is refreshing after being lead by the nose longer than really necessary.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

: I'm providing a video for the first part of this update if you'd like to watch this section instead of reading it. It only goes halfway through, so don't forget to come back when it's finished.

:siren: Click here for a video. :siren:

This should be able to play DVDs just fine...

: Well then, I'd better take a look...

I took the DVD Kyoko gave me and put it in the player.

Music fades out.

It said that it was playing, but nothing appeared on screen. I stared into the black of the monitor. It must have only been a few seconds...but to me it felt like an eternity. And then, all of a sudden...an image appeared.

: S-Sayaka!?

It took me by total surprise. I hadn't seen Sayaka in who knows how long, and there she was...

: Okay then, are you ready to begin?

The voice I heard was of the man positioned on one side of the screen. It was the voice of a middle-aged man.

: I do apologize, but I hope you don't mind if I record our conversation. I'm a little slow, you know. I never really got the hang of taking notes while having a conversation.

It sounded like he was trying to make a joke, but Sayaka's tense face didn't move a single millimeter.

: So, this video is meant to serve as a kind of contract substitute. It's not that I don't trust you guys. It's more like...insurance. So please don't worry too much.
: ...
: Now then, let me get straight to the point. There is a chance that you may have to spend the rest of your life here in the school. Can you accept that?
: Y-You want me to accept that...?

Sayaka was obviously at a total loss. It made total sense. Who would agree to spending the rest of your life in this school?

: I...accept.

...What?

: Thank you. And I'm sorry about all this... Well, I can promise you that I will do everything in my power to keep you safe. As the headmaster of Hope's Peak Academy, I give you my word.

As if on cue, that's where the video cut out.

There was a lot I hadn't understood up till now. But this...only this... I simply couldn't comprehend what I'd heard. Because I know how much Sayaka wanted to get out of here. I know how much she wanted to escape and pursue her dreams with her friends again.

: She wanted that so bad...she tried to frame me for murder. So...why? Why would she say yes to living here for the rest of her life?

As I sat there thinking about it, I noticed a sudden light. On the monitor, the video that I thought was finished flashed back onscreen. My eyes darted back to the screen.

And if I was confused before...what I saw next pushed me right over the edge.

: ...Huh?

What I was was...me. Impossibly, undeniably, me...

: So, Makoto. Before we begin, I should let you know that I'll be recording our conversation.
: Yes...

Me and the headmaster were looking at each other. He and I were having what seemed like a fairly normal conversation. But I, the I in the here and now...had absolutely no memory of it. I had no memory of even meeting the headmaster, much less sitting down to talk to him like this.

: Now, shall we get straight to the point? Makoto... There's a chance you may have to spend the rest of your life in the school. Can you accept that?
: ...Yes.

This can't be real... I...said yes?

: I'm sorry I'm putting you through all this.
: Well, I mean...we don't have much of a choice, do we?
: But I promise that as long as you're in this school, I will do everything I can to protect you. As the headmaster of Hope's Peak Academy, that's the very least I can do for you.

Once again, the video cut out. From there, the video repeated the same scene again and again with the others.

Byakuya...

Toko...

Hina... Everyone... They all said that they agreed to live in this school...forever. And then...

Kyoko... Her interview with him had been recorded just as clearly. Without a doubt, she *had* met him. She'd sat down with the headmaster of Hope's Peak Academy--her father... And when he asked her his question, she answered the same as everyone else. She accepted a life within the school.

Just as Kyoko's interview was wrapping up...

*Click*

Music cuts out.

...the monitor suddenly went black.

: Huh...?

It wasn't just the monitor. The DVD player itself had apparently turned off. Which of course meant that the DVD player wasn't playing anymore.

: Wh-What the heck just happened...?

: Oopsie! Looks like it broke! Out of service!
: What? It just so happened to break just now...?
: Now, then, when, doesn't matter! Failure can strike anywhere, anytime!
: That's what failure IS, right!? *leaves*

: Failure my rear end! You cut the power on purpose!

Well, whatever...

: Even if I watched the whole thing, it'd just be more of the same... He'd ask them the question, and they'd all say yes...

I couldn't help myself. I let out a huge, exasperated sigh. But as I did...I remembered something.

: I fainted, too. And when *I* woke up...I noticed a strange feeling of...separation within myself. A disconnect.
: Thinking back on it now, at that point my memory was gone. At that time...I'd forgotten. I couldn't remember why I'd come to this school, and I couldn't remember what my "ultimate" ability was.
: But...what would make you forget all that?
: Strange, isn't it? It's hard to imagine it happened by chance. It seems much too convenient.

A convenient outcome... Something that seemed to obviously work in favor of the mastermind... So does that mean...

: ...I've lost my memory, too?

What about the others? Have we *all* forgotten? Or... ...

*Ding dong, bing bong*

: For anything that has a start, there has to be an end. And if the end comes, then that means it's time for a fresh start. There is no night that doesn't have a dawn... Although that dawn is totally pitch-black! There is no storm that won't eventually end... Of course, then that leads to drought! But as I said, every end is the promise of a new beginning. Which is why I'm sure we'll get to meet again. Because the end is only the beginning!

: Anyway, let's get started! The beginning of the end of the class trial! Everyone gather once again at you know where! Puhuhuhuhu! Puhuhu!

It's about to begin again... The class trial...is going to start. The final class trial... The last time all our lives will be on the line... The last time hope and despair are on the line...

: I don't have a choice. I have to do this...

Okay, then! This is the end...!

I guess I'm the first one this time...

: You're early, Makoto.

: Does that mean you feel prepared?
: Yeah...for now, at least. But where's everyone else? Why aren't they here yet?
: Don't worry, I'm sure they'll be here soon.

And just like she said...

: Byakuya!
: B-Byakuya...?

Music fades out.

They arrived, one after another. But they were all in the same state of shock.

: Hina...?

: Hiro?

Silence. And it wasn't any normal silence. It was the deafening silence of fear and suspicion. It was like...the first class trial.

: AaaahhhI'mlaaaattteeee!!!
: Ahh, strong silent Master is so wonderful! So cool, so hot, my loins are ablaze!
: Now listen, everything'll be just fine if you leave it to me!

: With my scissor-sharp scissors in hand, I'll stab and gouge and shiv the master of evil...!
: But, I thought you couldn't kill anyone but adorable little boys...
: If it's what Master wants, it can be a boy, girl, or anything in between! I can handle it...

: ...Achoo!

: N...nng...where a-am I?
: No human language can describe the disappointment I'm feeling right now.

: Puhuhu. Is everyone here? Ooh, and wearing our Gloomy Gus faces, I see!
: Okay, well then...let's begin!
: This final class trial is gonna be slathered in pitch-black despair! Climaximum sorrow!
: You're right. This *is* the final class trial. And this time, it'll be fair.

: Whaddya mean, THIS time!? Stop with all the slander! I'm a bear in good standing, ya know!
: If there was a Mr. Fair Guy Universe contest, I'd take home the tiara every year! I'm gonna win this game super fair and square!
: And I'll make sure everyone watching at home knows...that despair is mightier than hope.

: Enough of your tedious drivel. Begin the trial already.
: Sure, sure. Let's begin the trial already! I'll be waiting for you down below.
: So don't try and run away...
: Ahh-hahahaha! *leaves*

Laughing as loud as ever, Monokuma disappeared.

: Hmph. Whatever.
: This will be over in no time. *leaves*

With an inexplicable confidence, Byakuya was the first into the elevator. One by one the others followed.

: ... *leaves*
: ... *leaves*
: Gh-ngh... *leaves*

Nobody made eye contact, nobody said a word. They just disappeared into the elevator.

: They're all acting...odd. Like they're paranoid, suspicious of each other... But you know why that is, don't you?
: Y-Yeah, I think so...
: Well, you can tell us all about it soon. At the class trial...
: You're right. I'm ready...

: Ready to win, right?
: Of course...
: I'm glad to hear you say that. *leaves*

And then Kyoko was aboard the elevator.

Music fades out.

I started making my way toward the opening. Step after step toward that gaping maw... I'd resolved that this would be the last time. I repeated to myself that there was no fear, no mystery left. I pushed my anxiety down, calmed my trembling body. And finally, on steady legs...

...I passed the threshold and stood in the elevator.

Without warning it began to descend... Deeper and deeper...

Deeper...deeper...deeper still.

Deeper and deeper, deeper and deeper, deeper and deeper...

Deeper and deeper it fell...

I closed my eyes, and sight fell away. All sound, too, disappeared. Alone in the universe, I waited for the elevator doors to open for the last time. What could have been seconds or centuries later...I felt the gentle vibration of the elevator come to an end. I slowly opened my eyes.

: This...is the final trial site?

: Whaddya think? Isn't it just the perfect background for deciding a person's fate!?
: It's the long-awaited last stage! The always-exciting final boss battle!
: Puhuhu... And I'm gonna sit in on this one! I'll just sit right here in the vacant sixteenth seat!

: Well then! Let's...BEGIIIIIIIIIIIINNN!!!

: Welcome...to the Final Class Trial. It's all come down to this.
: The ticker along the bottom reads the following:

"The mastermind stands exposed, and must pay for their crimes. Now all that's left is the looming mystery of Hope's Peak Academy itself..."

: Unfortunately, since Chapter 6 has no Free Times, I didn't get enough SP over the course of the game to add Breathing Technique to my list of equipped skills. Therefore, the list of skills I'll take in to this trial will remain the following: Algorithm, Upshift, Cool and Composed, Robot Jock, Melodious Voice and Handiwork.
: Lastly, let's go over our Truth Bullets.

: They had also been struck in the head with an object about as thick as a metal pipe. The body was covered with other wounds, but these were at least several days old.

: In addition, the areas directly connected to Mukuro Ikusaba's death are the garden and dojo.

: ...there's no doubt that this tarp came from there.

Height: 5 foot 7 inches
Weight: 97 pounds
Vitals: 31-22-32

: Kyoko has confirmed that the corpse matches these characteristics.

: They are motivated only by despair, making them some of the most despicable people to ever live.

: ...the pocketbook:
: "Despair walks among us. And so, we survive... There's a second 'despair'..."

: ...Mukuro's body inside, comes to a total of nine.

: ...somehow...?

: ...interference, Makoto wasn't able to watch the DVD all the way through.
: And with that, join me next time for The Final Class Trial.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Oh man I am excited

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009
So..Makoto isn't in the class picture because he's the one who took the photo then, right?

Also the mastermind clearly can't be any of the students present, because who's controlling Monokuma? So it's either Mukuro, or Mukuro and a split personality Makoto who are taking turns.

Of course the way this game goes I wouldn't be surprised if there's a reveal that 'Kuma can be operated remotely or something.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Buried alive posted:

So..Makoto isn't in the class picture because he's the one who took the photo then, right?

Maybe. Or maybe he was home sick that day.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
It's even simpler than that and so, so devious. It's great.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Obviously, Makoto is a vampire and doesn't show up in photos.

ManicVolcanic
Jun 5, 2016
The implication I got was that it was Hifumi taking the photo in a large mirror, as he was holding the camera.

Mukuro *has* to be the Mastermind right? That's the only way that the rule of starting a class trial when everyone is present could be circumvented: if Monokuma was standing in for Mukuro this whole time.

VibrantPareidolia
Oct 12, 2012
Well there is an empty chair in the photo next to Hina. So this could've been the test shot Makoto took before setting the timer and getting in there.

VibrantPareidolia fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Aug 19, 2016

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

He could be behind someone, like Junko having her face blocked by Taka.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

:siren: Click here to watch this update's video. :siren:

: Since this will be the final class trial, I've come up with a special rule! So listen up!
: If you can figure out Mukuro's killer, and go on to solve the mystery of this school...
: ...you guys win!

: But if you can't...
: ...then I win!
: And of course, waiting for the loser is the super exciting, super heartpounding punishment!

: Are you saying that if you lose, you'll execute yourself?
: Yup, sure will!
: ...And that's final? No loopholes? No wiggling out of it later?
: Of course not! Bears never go back on their word!
: Never mind all that. I just have one question for you...
: Ohh, you're taking this seriously, huh? Are you feeling okay?

: Is the mastermind...only one person?
: ...Hmm?
: Don't bother. I already know the answer.

: You're all the mastermind, aren't you!? You're all out to get me! I'm right, aren't I!? I knew it!

: You guys have all been working together, haven't you!? I have evidence, so I know I'm right!
: Hey! You stole my line!
: You're all out to get me, I'm sure of it! I have evidence of my own!
: What a coincidence. I too have evidence to present. Evidence that proves everyone other than me has been working together...
: Wh-What...? Wait, hold on...
: This doesn't make any sense... How can the three of us each have that kind of evidence!?

All three of them think that everyone around them is their enemy... There's no doubt this is a trap Monokuma's set! He set it up so we would suspect each other...

: We received the same kind of evidence the others did.

Shoot "the three of us" with "Group Photo"

: It's not just you three. I have evidence, too.
: What!? You too!?
: The evidence you're all referring to is this group photo, right?

: W-Well, yeah...
: ...Huh? Wait, but mine's different! With the picture you have...I'm in it!
: But that can't be right! Cuz in my picture...

: See? I'm the only one not in it!

I figured as much. In which case...

: Hiro, you have a picture too, right? Let's see it!
: O-Okay, but be careful with it. It's pretty important evidence...

This one, too...! It's just like I thought!

: So the secret in these pictures has been revealed...
: Secret or whatever, I don't care! You guys are all in on this together! That's why I'm the only one missing!
: But you're in my picture!
: You're the ones trying to trick me!
: So the whole purpose behind these photos was to get us questioning and fighting with each other...

: The mastermind laid a trap to make us each think everyone else was working against us!
: Huh? I laid a trap?
: A trap!? How rude! What grounds do you have for such audacious accusations!?

The proof I need to reveal Monokuma's trap... Each photo has a certain something in common. There's a connection regarding what person isn't shown in the group photos. And that person is...

> The ones who got the photos

: In each case, the only one not in the picture is the person who received it.

: So, in the picture I got, I'm the only one missing.

: In the picture Hina got, she's the only one missing.

: And in the picture Hiro got, he's the only one missing.

: As long as we're talking about it, I suppose I should show you my photo, as well.

: In other words, Monokuma gave each of us a group photo in which that person wasn't included.
: And when we each saw our picture, we just assumed everyone else was the enemy...?
: Puhuhu... Figured it out, huh?
: Yeah, I thought that must be it. But how was that a hint?

But you know...there might be more to this than just Monokuma trying to confuse us... There's something else that bothers me about everyone's pictures... What is it? What's digging at me...?

: Listen, can I see everyone's group photo one more time? It's not directly connected to what we're talking about, but I'd like to double-check something...
: Sure, no problem.
: Yeah, I don't mind.

I'm sure there's something unusual about these group photos... What is it? I need to compare each of them one more time.

Byakuya's picture...

Hina's picture...

Hiro's picture...

And mine...

There's something strange about all of them. Something I can't quite pin down... Something...

: ...strange about the photo...

: Can you just forget about the photo already?
: Grr... Trying to trick me with such an obviously fake photo... I'm still pissed about that!
: And on top of that, they went to all that trouble to make it look like we were wearing matching uniforms!
: Hmm? So you think they're fake?

: No no no, I assure you, they're quite real.
: Wh-What are you talking about!? There's no way!
: Yeah! I don't remember ever taking a picture like that!
: So it's gotta be a fake! I'm sure of it!

: But you know... Can we really be so sure?
: ...Huh?
: Don't get me wrong. I don't remember taking this picture, either. But... Is that really enough to be absolutely positive they're fake?
: Wh-What do you mean...?

The reason I don't remember this picture isn't necessarily because it's fake... There might be...some other reason... Some...terrible reason...

An unbelievable but entirely horrifying reason...

> AMNESIA

: Let's say that somehow...we'd all lost our memories. That could explain it, couldn't it?
: Oh, I get it! So we all just lost our memories at the same time and forgot about the photo. Makes sense!
: ...As if! You expect me to believe such an unbelievable occult-type story!?
: Y-Yeah! We all lost our memories? That's just...crazy!

It's only natural that they wouldn't believe it... But no matter how much they refuse, if that's the absolute truth, they have no choice...! We can't move forward until they accept it!

ManicVolcanic
Jun 5, 2016
The strange thing about each photo is that Junko's face is hidden or obscured... but what could that possibly mean? I'm super confused. In any case, everyone having spent a year in the school already and having forgotten it is a convenient explanation for both the photographs and the DVD. Another detail I really like is that Toko is clearly Genocide Jill in Hiro's photo. ...does that mean that Jill would remember that photograph? Something to keep in mind, as her memory is a truth bullet in this trial.

Wait.
Oh no.
Junko's face is obscured. Remember way back when we first met everyone, and Makoto said that Junko doesn't look like she does on the magazine covers? What if this Junko is an impostor? What if Junko, one of the first dead, is the Mastermind?

I would be kind of mad but also delighted if that was the truth.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

All I know is that Byakayu's photo is definitely the best of the lot solely for Sakura and Hina's reaction to Sakura

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

Toko got a picture too, and they showed it off in the anime. In it, everyone in a snowball fight, with Junko being hit in the face as the picture was taken.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Yeah, Toko's picture was something that was added in the anime because of how they had to compress the investigation details. In the anime, Monokuma visits each student instead of calling them to the gym. In the game, we can assume Toko was passed out when he called them for hints, explaining why she doesn't have one.

I'm making an update focused on Extra Content from the game and surrounding media that'll be posted after the game is beaten and I'll show off her picture during it.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Wasn't there something about mukuros nails that hinted the body might have been Junko? Need to go back and read that section again

ManicVolcanic
Jun 5, 2016

Virtue posted:

Wasn't there something about mukuros nails that hinted the body might have been Junko? Need to go back and read that section again

If you go back and look at the body, and then go waaaaay back to when Junko was alive, the nails and boots match. I tossed Junko-as-the-mastermind out only semi-seriously. It's far, far more likely that Mukuro is the mastermind and Junko's body is standing in for Mukuro's.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
There's only one clear answer for who the mastermind is:

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

There's only one clear answer for who the mastermind is:

I don't know, man, have you considered the possibility that Killerman might be Killerman?

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Nebrilos posted:

I don't know, man, have you considered the possibility that Killerman might be Killerman?

But if you never play the game, then Killerman never gets to kill people, therefor never becoming Killerman in the first place, so you're the reason that Killerman is Killerman, making you the mastermind.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

EponymousMrYar posted:

But if you never play the game, then Killerman never gets to kill people, therefor never becoming Killerman in the first place, so you're the reason that Killerman is Killerman, making you the mastermind.

That logic is so stupid. So why does it make so much sense.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Christ, you guys* are morons. Hiro falling hook and sinker I would expect because he has room fridge temperature IQ (Celsius scale), Hina and Byakuya not so much.

*the characters of the game

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Omobono posted:

Christ, you guys* are morons. Hiro falling hook and sinker I would expect because he has room fridge temperature IQ (Celsius scale), Hina and Byakuya not so much.

*the characters of the game

To be fair, Hina never really struck me as a luminary. Not the complete numbskull that is Hiro, but still. She spent most investigations guarding the body because she didn't think she'd help.

Byakuya, on the other hand... Well, I could see his ego telling him that the only explanation for how the others solved the trials he couldn't would be if they were chrating. Still, :cmon:

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Hello, I moved this weekend and my internet was just installed today. Updates will continue on their recent one-a-day schedule, except for today, because I'm going to post one now and another later tonight to make up for the move! By the way, at this point I have the whole game minus School Mode and Free Time Roundups recorded and written, so you can expect continued updates as we approach the end!

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

: You're saying we all got spontaneous amnesia?
: Since when did this turn into some kind of sci-fi fantasy!?
: I promise you I haven't lost my memory! Ever since I got to this school...
: ...I remember everything that's happened!
: So the i-idea that we all lost our m-memories...
: ...is totally stupid! Obviously!

Even if we don't want to believe it, it it's the truth, we don't have a choice...! Otherwise, we'll all die in here!

: Seven Truth Bullets to choose from now. Thankfully, you should be able to narrow it down even with this many available. We might remember everything since we woke up, but what about that other thing we have no memory of?

Shoot "I remember everything" with "Interview DVD"

: Those photos aren't the only things that point to the possibility of memory loss. This DVD does the same thing.
: You're not g-gonna show us something indecent, are you!?
: ...N-No, it's nothing like that!

: It's a video of all of usk being interviewed by the Hope's Peak Academy headmaster.

: When you say "all of us" you mean...
: I mean all of us. Including you.
: You lie! I never did any kind of interview!
: No, it's not a lie. Just watch the DVD and you'll see for yourself.

: The headmaster did, in fact, interview you.

: What are you saying!?
: I didn't imagine you would remember.
: It's not about whether or not I remember...!

: You expect me to believe all this? That I...I lost my memory somehow...!?
: Well, we don't have any way to refute it, so we have no choice but to accept it as reality.
: How can you say that!? We're talking about living, breathing amnesia here!
: To be honest, I have something else on my mind right now.
: Something else...?

: You said the DVD contains recordings of us being interviewed by the headmaster, right?
: What were the interviews about?
: The headmaster sat each of us down, one at a time, and asked us that same question... He asked us if we could accept the idea of spending the rest of our lives in this school.

: What kind of qu-question is that...?
: And? How did we answer?
: We'd say no, obviously!
: Actually... We all...said we could.

: Even me... I heard myself say yes, I could spend the rest of my life at this school.

: Wh-Why!? Why would you say yes to s-something like that!?
: I don't know! I don't remember a thing!
: The same goes for everyone else? Nobody remembers...? You don't remember choosing to live here forever. Or even talking to the headmaster about it at all...
: It doesn't matter if I remember or not. Even if I bought the whole amnesia thing, the idea that I would want to live here forever...
: That's just insane! How can I believe that!?

: Insane or not, we can't move forward until you accept it. Am I right?
: You sure are! Cuz it's all true!
: Whaaaaaat!?
: I know it sounds absurd, but...if it's the truth, there's nothing we can do about it.
: Indeed. We only have one path in front of us.
: Th-Then...we really...?

: Yup! You all totally lost your memory at the same time!
: This is all...making my head hurt...
: And this isn't like some normal kind of memory loss.

: You stole some specific memories from us, didn't you?
: Oopsie! You figured that part out too, huh?
: Of course. There's no way we would all just happen to get amnesia at the same time.
: B-But...how could someone just s-steal our memories?

: How...?
: Come come come, that hardly matters right now!
: If I said it was hypnotism, would you believe me? Or we opened up your skulls and messed with your brains?

: Would you really believe anything I said? How it happened doesn't matter right now!
: What matters is figuring out what memories you took from us. That's what you're trying to say, right?
: Puhuhu! I knew I could count on you!

: The interview with the headmaster, taking that group photo... Those can't be the only memories we lost. There must have been a purpose to it all. A reason for taking away our memories...
: Of course there was a purpose! It all has to do with the original motive!

The original motive...

: You mean the "motive" you came up with to try and get us to all kill each other?
: That has something to do with the memories you stole from us?
: Puhuhu! It sure does! But that part's still a secret...!

: Anyway, I'm sure it's not easy, but let's all focus on the class trial for the murder of Mukuro Ikusaba!
: Okay, so you want us to figure out who killed her before we do anything else...

So until we do that... Well either way, we have to explain every last remaining mystery. So...

The one who killed Mukuro--the true mastermind... That's what we need to expose!

: So who did it...? Who killed her?
: Whoever did it is the same one who's behind everything.
: That much I'm sure of.
: But when you think about it... Is the mastermind really here in the school?
: Of course!
: They hafta be here somewhere!
: What makes you so sure?
: Umm... what *does* make me so sure...?
: Exactly. You're j-just making stuff up. There's no way the m-mastermind is here. The mastermind is p-probably a million miles away...
: C-Cuz masterminds always lurk off in the b-background, right?

The mastermind--the one controlling Monokuma... Where is the mastermind...?

: We know that Monokuma is controlled from the room behind the Data Center. That means the mastermind has to be in the school.

> Shoot "a million miles away" with "Monokuma Control Room"

: There's no question that the mastermind is somewhere within the school.
: How do you kn-know? Did you find s-some evidence or something?

: In the back of the data center, I found a panel that controls Monokuma.

: The mastermind must have been using that to control him all this time.
: So there can't be any doubt, the mastermind has been inside the school all along!
: There can't be any doubt...

: In which case, there also can be no doubt that the mastermind is one of us.
: What? Why?
: Recall what Makoto told us Monokuma said to him earlier...

: I'm sure I told you this already, but...this killing game began with sixteen participants, all of them high school students. And the only people to take a single step in Hope's Peak since the killing game began...are those sixteen students.

: So if the mastermind *is* in the school, we have to assume it can only be that 16th student.
: But...how'd they m-manage to survive all of this?
: So we're the only ones here...?

: I-It's not me! I'm not the mastermind!
: Well it's not me!
: I blame M-Makoto!
: What!? Why me!?
: C-Cuz! It's super weird how you're the o-only one who survived being executed!
: Oh, I get it! The only way he coulda survived is if he was actually the mastermind himself, right!?
: Aww nuts! Ya got me!
: W-Wait, what are you trying to say!?

: Everyone, calm down. There's no reason to panic.
: The mastermind's true identity will become clear soon enough. Just as soon as we find out who killed Mukuro.
: That's a good point. Rather than wasting time bickering, we should put our minds to work solving this mystery.
: Yeah, well, how much time have we already spent talking about the murder?
: He's r-right. What more is there to t-talk about?
: If you want something to talk about, I think there might be one thing...

: We haven't fully established what Mukuro's fatal injury was.
: Huh? But...I thought we figured that out. She died when she got hit in the back of the head.
: No, that isn't actually what killed her. It was something entirely different. Wouldn't you agree, Makoto?

Mukuro's actual cause of death must have been...

> The other wounds

: All of the wounds covering her body... That's what really killed her.
: Hey, now hold on a second! You did read the Monokuma File, right?

"The body was covered with other wounds, but these were at least several days old."

: It made it pretty clear. Those wounds were made *at least* a few days ago.
: So they can't possibly be what killed her!
: Consider this--what if the murder itself took place at least a few days ago?
: Wh-What...?

: What if, when we discovered her body, she'd already been dead for several days?
: If that's true, then naturally the wounds that killed her would appear to be however many days old.
: Th-That doesn't make any sense! Because...because she had all th-those wounds before she ever c-came here!
: Huh? How do you know that?

: Isn't it o-obvious? She was the Ultimate Soldier, right? So that means...y-you know...
: You're wrong.
: Ahaha... She d-denied me... Hahahaha... Before I could even s-say anything...
: Hahah...ha...ahe...hehehe...! Come on--I mean--you think I'm--?
: I'm not weird, okay!? At least l-listen to what I have to say b-before you deny me!

If you're so sure we're gonna deny you, why bother saying it in the first place?

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

So is nobody going to point out that monokuma is being controlled from a different room in the building and thus can't be anyone present?
Because killing the infighting and paranoia strikes me as something important to do

Buzzsaw Roomba
Feb 14, 2012

Christ, what an asshole.
Maybe the Yasuhiro at the trial is actually his astral projection, and his real body is in the Monokuma Control Room!?

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

I just noticed the "We Forgot" tag for this thread so :golfclap:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

SardonicTyrant posted:

I just noticed the "We Forgot" tag for this thread so :golfclap:

Well god drat :stare:

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

FoolyCharged posted:

So is nobody going to point out that monokuma is being controlled from a different room in the building and thus can't be anyone present?
Because killing the infighting and paranoia strikes me as something important to do

Paranoia is really hard to get rid of once it's set it. It would totally kill the infighting though which would help speed things along (note that two of the calmest classmates are also the smartest.)

kvx687
Dec 29, 2009

Soiled Meat

FoolyCharged posted:

Didn't they already address that? Byakuya was theorizing that Monobear could be preprogrammed and the mastermind could be subtly leading the conversation so nobody would notice.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

: Mukuro w-was the Ultimate Soldier. She must've been in a h-hundred different battles.
: So when you th-think about it...
: Obviously she g-got all those wounds in battle!
: Are you finished?
: You didn't d-deny me this timesy wimesy!
: Agh! You made me go all cutesy!
: Don't worry. There wasn't anything cute about it.

The victim was the Ultimate Soldier, who'd strolled across a thousand battlefields... Is that how she got all those wounds...?

: According to Mukuro's profile, she never sustained any injuries in battle before arriving at the school.

> Shoot "all those wounds in battle" with "Mukuro Ikusaba's Profile"

: No, Mukuro didn't suffer those wounds in battle. The file we found in the headmaster's room said as much.

: Despite the time she spent in battle after battle as a member of Fenrir...when she entered this school, she hadn't sustained a single injury.
: T-To be denied so completely... Actually, it's k-kind of refreshing!
: *gasp* M-Maybe it's cuz of all of Master's t-training!

: Anyway... So we can be sure that Mukuro suffered all those wounds after coming to this school.
: In which case, they could be the very thing that killed her!
: As a matter of fact, it's hard to imagine any other possibility.

: When examining her body, I found that her stomach and head wounds came after she was already dead.
: Unless anyone has any better suggestions, I think we can say this with confidence...
: The wounds Mukuro sustained all over her body are what ultimately killed her!

: But if that's what killed her...
: ...then does that mean she's really been dead for who knows how long!?
: That's exactly what it means. When we found her body in the garden, she'd already been dead for several days.
: So then, what about the little matter of what happened last night?

: Makoto, you said you were attacked in your room by a masked assailant. If Mukuro had already been dead for several days, certainly it couldn't have been her. So who was it that attacked you?

The identity of the one who attacked me... I can't think of anyone else...!

> The mastermind

: The one who attacked me...was the true mastermind.

: When we discovered Mukuro in the garden wearing the same mask...I naturally assumed she must have been the one who attacked me. But I was wrong. It wasn't her at all. It was the mastermind!

: Ahaha! Hahahaha!
: Wh-What are you laughing at...?
: Oh, don't mind me. I'm just getting a little impatient sitting her listening. I think I'm gonna jump in!

: Let's start off with a nice, easy question. Your assumption that I attacked Makoto is just that, right? An assumption. You can't really know who was under that mask, can you? I mean, that's the whole point of a mask!
: The true identity of the masked attacker is Mukuro Ikusaba! At least, that's what I think!
: Puhuhu... Do you have any evidence that might convince me otherwise?

No, there's no way Mukuro is the one that attacked me... Even if I didn't see their face...

If you compared what we know about Mukuro to the masked attacker...it should be obvious!

: You never saw their face, right?
: So you can't have any idea who was under that mask!
: I'm telling you now, it was Mukuro Ikusaba!
: You're wrong. Even without seeing their face...there's another part of the attacker we can use to prove it wasn't her.
: Oh? And what is this other part?
: Is it the right hand? Or the left hand? Maybe the right foot? Or perhaps the left foot?
: Or could it be... the hips!?

Whoever attacked me, they didn't have something Mukuro definitely had... That should be proof enough that the one who attacked me wasn't Mukuro!

: We need to choose the correct body part to prove that it wasn't Mukuro. In this case, we know that the attacker didn't have the tattoo on their right hand!

> Absorb "right hand"

> Shoot "it was Mukuro Ikusaba"

: Mukuro had a tattoo on her right hand, if I remember correctly. A "representation of Fenrir"... In other words, a wolf tattoo. But I saw the right hand of the person who attacked me...

: ...and there was no such tattoo. So there's no way the person behind the mask was Mukuro!

: Y-Yeah, well, okay... Ya got me, I guess it wasn't her...
: But that still doesn't prove that it was me! It could have been, ya know...someone else, right?
: Hiro, Toko, Hina and I all have solid alibis for that entire night.
: Yeah! We were in the gym tearing you apart! So it couldn't have been any of us!
: O-Okay, sure, it couldn't have been any of you...

: But...what about Kyoko!? It totally could've been her!
: Uh-oh! No snappy comeback? Did I score a bull's-eye?
: If you insist, I don't mind showing you.
: Huh? Show me what...?
: What do you think? I'll show you the one thing that proves beyond a shadow of a doubt it wasn't me.

Before anyone could say anything...

...Kyoko was removing her gloves.

: Your hands...!

Without thinking, I let out a gasp. It was more than just a little burned skin...

: Awful, isn't it? It happened when I was first learning to be a detective. I was inexperienced...
: I thought you didn't want anyone to see those scars...
: If it means we get another step closer to unmasking the mastermind, it doesn't really bother me.

Kyoko seemed to savor the words as she said them. Then she put her gloves back on.

: My scars should suffice as proof. Makoto, did the person who attacked you have scars like mine?
: No...not at all, I'm positive.
: Then this much has been made clear...

: There can be no doubt that the one who attacked Makoto is the true mastermind.
: Puhuhu... This is just awful!
: On top of my secret being revealed, I had to look at those positively grotesque scars of yours!
: Ah, sorry! Did I say that out loud? I do hope I didn't hurt your feelings...!
: Not at all. You can say whatever you want.
: Sure, as long as it means pushing me farther into the corner, right? But I'm not cornered just yet!

: Because if you hadn't noticed, the circumstances surrounding Mukuro's death are totally unknown!
: That's true... All we know right now is she was killed a good while before this morning.
: On the contrary, we don't know anything other than that!
: You're not going to tell us she was already dead before we arrived here or something, are you?
: Puhuhu. In that regard, you have nothing to worry about!

: I promise you, without a doubt, she died after our little killing game began here!
: Then somehow, she was killed in secret, without any of us knowing.
: And after she died, who knows how much time went by before we found her, right? Did the culprit stash her somewhere? She couldn't have been in the garden the whole time, could she?
: If she was, she w-would've been totally decomposed... Just like your b-brain!

: Then...she was being stored somewhere?
: But...to hide a body here...to just store it somewhere...?

There's only one place... I can't think of anywhere else the body could have been stored...

> The bio lab

: Mukuro's body was probably kept hidden in the bio lab.
: The b-bio lab...? You mean, on the 5th f-floor?

: That's right. It's actually set up for use as a morgue. So it's the perfect place to hide a body, and it'd keep the body preserved at the same time.

: Then you're also saying the body was moved from the bio lab to the garden...
: And I have no doubt that that's exactly what happened. In fact, I have proof...

The proof that shows the body was carried from the bio lab to the garden...

> Present "Tarp"

: What makes me so sure the body was carried from the bio lab to the garden is the tarp that we found in the garden. When I was checking it over again, I noticed something...
: I noticed that some text had been stamnped on one corner of the tarp.

: Oh! It says bio lab!
: Holy cow... How'd you notice that tiny little thing?
: Makoto's nit-picky nature seems to have surfaced with perfect timing...
: This proves that the tarp originally came from the bio lab.

: In fact, there's a whole stack of tarps just like it in there.

: So when the killer moved the body to the garden, they must have grabbed a tarp to wrap it in. Then they simply left it as it was to protect against the sprinklers, and put the coat on it afterwards.
: Wow...you m-made everything sound so amazingly c-consistent!
: B-But that's just a wild guess!
: Where's your evidence!? Prove that the body was wrapped in a tarp and moved!
: There is no evidence. I was simply explaining what I think happened.
: But you seem to be getting pretty worked up about it, wouldn't you say?

: ...Worked up!?
: Now that the conversation has turned to the topic of the bio lab, you must be getting pretty nervous. Because the key to uncovering your secret identity is hidden within that room, isn't it?
: Are you talking about unmasking the mastermind!?
: You see, the bio lab contained an inconsistency--one so major it can't be overlooked.

An inconsistency in the bio lab...? Could you be talking about...?

: La-la-la! I can't hear you! La-la-la!
: Such a child... Oh well, just ignore him.

Hrmm... I need to pull myself together and think... The inconsistency in the bio lab... Could you be talking about--?

: Hey, by the way, Makoto! What about that one thing!?
: What...one thing?
: Puhuhu...What do you think? I'm talking about...

: ...your family.

What!?

: Puhuhuhu! Don't tell me you forgot about that video message!

: So what do you think? Are you sure your family's still okay?

: Wh--!? Why are you bringing that up now!?
: Your mom, your dad, your little sister... What do you think has happened to your family?
: Are they really as safe as you might have assumed?

: S-Stop talking about that!
: Calm down, Makoto. He wants you to get upset.

Yeah...I need to calm down. I can't let him get to me...! He's just saying that cuz he knows we're getting close to the truth of the bio lab! So if I want to shut him up...

...I need to expose the inconsistency and slam him with it!

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
For those of you playing along, it is possible to know what the inconsistency is based on the result of the investigation. So, anyone want to take a stab at it?

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

For those of you playing along, it is possible to know what the inconsistency is based on the result of the investigation. So, anyone want to take a stab at it?

Well..who's alive?

Makoto
Toko
Byakuya
Hina
Hiro
Kyoko
Mastermind.

Who's dead?
Junko
Ogre
Leon
Fan fic guy
Compass
Biker
Chihiro
Mukuro
Sayaka
Liar.

That's 17 total. 10 deaths, but only 9 lights. If the game is to be believed, we found the Headmaster's bones, so he's not the extra person. The only other possibility is that one of those dead people isn't actually dead.

The fact that you can't see Junko's face in any of the pictures is bothering me. Like..what if Mukuro somehow pulled off a face-swap with Junko, or something?

Buried alive fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Aug 23, 2016

ManicVolcanic
Jun 5, 2016
You're right, it's definitely the number of bodies in the bio lab. I'm basically positive that it means Mukuro is the mastermind and planted Junko's body to serve as her own. The fatal wounds are at least several days old with no upper limit, meaning it's plausible they could have been sustained at the beginning of the situation. They also seem to match Junko's execution for breaking the rules, which was being impaled by several javelins. The photographs having Junko's face blocked out is baffling, though. I suspect it was to keep anyone from comparing what remains of the corpse's face with Junko's and spotting any possible remaining similarities.

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
Yeah, it's the number of bodies. I was pretty certain that Mukoro used her body to stage her own death but I am losing fate in that theory. Only thing I can think of is that Junko is the mastermind and pulled off some elaborate swap and had Mukoro be impaled though, and I have no idea how she would have pulled that one off. Might go back and look at that update again.

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

Thesaya posted:

Yeah, it's the number of bodies. I was pretty certain that Mukoro used her body to stage her own death but I am losing fate in that theory. Only thing I can think of is that Junko is the mastermind and pulled off some elaborate swap and had Mukoro be impaled though, and I have no idea how she would have pulled that one off. Might go back and look at that update again.

If you think about it, there is no reason for the swap to be elaborate - if you take the Junko mastermind theory, we just need to ask ourselves: did we, at any point, talk to junko enoshima in the flesh?
Remember, the body had fake nails and the tattoo clearly had some sort of make-up applied over it. If, mukuro was the one who was hit by gungnir....well that would make a lot of sense wouldn't it.
Oh wait no, it wouldn't. Why the gently caress would Mukuro pretend to be Junko? I mean the memories of the rest were tampered with, but not, say, swapped (would be hilarious if Hifumi pretended he was Byakuya, bat alas) and i doubt the mastermind would make such a weird exception. I mean it's a solid con, but kinda nonsensical.
A more reasonable line of thought would be to assume, that the mastermind is clearly Byakuya.
Of all people here, he is the most fit for that role - smart, well-bred, self-made. He sugggested the "subtly guide conversation" monokuma control system, and he is the only one we have seen tampering with the crime scene. He got to laugh it off of course, but, well.
Of course that leaves either Mukuro or Junko missing, and since we established the body belongs to Mukuro... well i think Junko is in the data center now, controlling monokuma. A brilliant 2-people ploy to usher despair in the world and make the Togami collective the rulers of the world.
Sounds about right, no?

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
Except we still saw Junko die, which still would have to be explained.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Yeah the Junko dying outside of a verdict thing was a bit odd. Will be very surprised if that doesn't come up again

• Locked thread