Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ManicVolcanic
Jun 5, 2016
Junko is actually the only person who was neither murdered nor executed for murder; she was killed for breaking the rules by attacking Monokuma. This makes her, in my opinion, the most forgettable student, as she was never the subject of a trial, making it harder to remember her and put the pieces together.

Though, there is another question: Kyoko checked the body, and the measurements of the corpse matched those in Mukuro's profile. Do Junko's measurements match Mukuro's? Looking at the pictures suggests... maybe. Mukuro is sitting and Junko is standing in Hiro's picture, both of them are in the water in Byakuya's picture, Junko is farther away in Hina's picture, and it's hard to tell just how tall she is in Makoto's picture because of Taka's arm. However, it's close enough to not be able to rule it out yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

ManicVolcanic posted:

Junko is actually the only person who was neither murdered nor executed for murder; she was killed for breaking the rules by attacking Monokuma. This makes her, in my opinion, the most forgettable student, as she was never the subject of a trial, making it harder to remember her and put the pieces together.

Though, there is another question: Kyoko checked the body, and the measurements of the corpse matched those in Mukuro's profile. Do Junko's measurements match Mukuro's? Looking at the pictures suggests... maybe. Mukuro is sitting and Junko is standing in Hiro's picture, both of them are in the water in Byakuya's picture, Junko is farther away in Hina's picture, and it's hard to tell just how tall she is in Makoto's picture because of Taka's arm. However, it's close enough to not be able to rule it out yet.

In the game, at any time, you can look up the measurements of the characters using the e-handbook, so a player would be able to compare them to Mukuro's measurements.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

:siren: Click here to watch this update's video. :siren:

: La-la-la! I can't hear you! La-la-la-la-la!

: The number of lights on in the bio lab doesn't match the number of people who have died!

> Fire "Bio Lab Lights"

: The inconsistency Kyoko's talking about is...the lights!
: Ga-haaah!
: Wh-What are you talking about? What about the lights...?
: Like I said before, the bio lab also acts as a morgue.

: And as part of that, a giant refrigerator was installed in there. That's where everyone who's died is stored.

: And it was set up so that when a slot had a body in it, a blue light would turn on.
: In other words, if the blue light is on, that means there's a body in that slot.

: But I counted up the number of blue lights that were on, including the one Mukuro was in...and there were only nine!

: Why does that matter? You gotta give me the bite-size version here, man!

Nine lights doesn't make sense. The number of lights that should be on is...

> Ten lights

: Ten of the lights should have been on. Any other number is incredibly suspicious!

: S-Suspicious...? Why?
: That's simple. Just recall who's died here so far, and it should become clear.

That's right... That's the key to solving this mystery...

Sayaka died first...

Junko was second...

Leon was third...

Chihiro was fourth...

Mondo was fifth...

Taka was sixth, then Hifumi was seventh...

Celeste was eighth...

Sakura was ninth...

And victim number ten was Mukuro.

: Hm... So ten people in all?
: That's right. Any other number should make you immediately suspicious. But according to the lights in the bio lab, only nine people were being stored there...
: Y-You're saying a dead body just...up and disappeared!?
: I got it! The mastermind destroyed one of the bodies to get rid of evidence!
: But if they wanted to do that, they would've destroyed Mukuro's body, since they actually killed her. And yet...her body was left alone.
: Then...whose body disappeared?

: It may very well be...that none of them disappeared.
: B-But if that's true, then why doesn't the b-body count match...?
: Including Monokuma's executions, there have apparently been ten deaths. But there were only nine bodies.
: That's the point I'm trying to make.
: I'm completely lost! How can the number of victims be less than the number of murders!?

The reason there are less bodies than murders... The explanation for more murders than victims... Why is that...? What would it take for that to make sense...?

> The same person was killed twice

: What about if...the same person was killed twice?
: Huh? Killed twice...?
: Officially, ten murders have been committed so far.
: But one of the victims may have been murdered...and then murdered again.

: Murdered and...m-murdered again...?
: If that's the case, there could have been ten killings but still only nine victims, right?
: T-Technically you're right I guess, but still...something like that--
: Could easily have happened. No, it *is* what happened.
: Sounds like you're already convinced. Then can you tell us who was killed twice?

: Before she was killed as Mukuro Ikusaba, she was killed as someone else.
: And that's why the body had to be stored in the bio lab until the moment we found it in the garden...
: No no no, that's crazy talk! She was killed as someone else? Come on!

: Besides, who could that "someone else" even have been!?
: All you have to do is look at those bodily injuries of hers and that will become obvious.
: Nothing's gonna become obvious...!
: Because Kyoko's totally delusional!

: Who is this "someone else" that Mukuro was killed as? Was it... Sayaka Maizono? Junko Enoshima? Leon Kuwata? Chihiro Fujisaki? Mondo Owada? Kiyotaka Ishimaru? Hifumi Yamada? Celestia Lu--whatever? Or maybe Sakura Ogami? No no no...
: There's no way anyone was murdered twice!

Mukuro died from the wounds she had all over her body. There's gotta be some sort of explanation that can solve this mystery...

: The goal is to Absorb the name of the person who was killed twice and shoot Monokuma's last weak point. As for who was killed twice, we only know of one girl who died from wounds all over her body.

> Absorb "Junko Enoshima"

> Shoot "murdered twice"

: Junko... Wasn't her fatal injury pretty similar to Mukuro's?
: What do you mean...?

: Well, remember what happened to her? She was impaled by a bunch of spears, all over her body.

: And Mukuro died from a number of wounds across her body... When you compare that to the stab wounds Junko suffered...
: Then the s-similarities...match...?
: Yes, and those are the *only* fatal injuries that match up.
: That explains why those "two" bodies are actually one and the same.
: So let me see if I have this straight...

: Junko, or someone going by that name, was stabbed to death with multiple spears.

: Then her body was kept in the bio lab for however long, before being dragged out again.

: Only this time, it was presented as the corpse of one Mukuro Ikusaba.

: It all matches up, right? Those wounds Junko suffered could easily be these same injuries.
: Then...it's really true? Mukuro and Junko are the same person...?
: Wait, so then...
: Nng! What does it all mean!?

: It means that there haven't been ten victims, but nine. Which also means that among the people we thought were dead...one is still alive.
: ...And that's the true identity of the mastermind!?
: Who is it!? Who's behind all this!?
: We already kn-know the answer to that... It's Mukuro! Sh-She's still alive!

: She took J-Junko's body...

: ...and made it look like she was th-the one who died!

: S-So Mukuro is still alive. She's g-gotta be!
: ...
: Total silence...? Then I m-must be right...! I'm right, aren't I?

Mukuro...alive? The one that's still alive is Mukuro...? But... Can we really believe that?

: The body we f-found in the garden...
: It wasn't Mukuro!
: Then she's still alive!?
: Th-That's right. She made it look like Junko's b-body was her!
: S-So the mastermind's true identity is...Mukuro!
: Whaddya say, Monokuma!? Do you give up!?
: Hmmmmmmm...

Mukuro is still alive? Can I really believe that?

: Much as I've like to agree with Toko, we have Mukuro's profile. Kyoko confirmed that the dead body matched Mukuro's measurements perfectly...

> Shoot "wasn't Mukuro" with "Mukuro Ikusaba's Profile"

: No, the body we found in the garden was Mukuro that's one thing we can be sure of. The body's appearance and measurements are consistent with her records.
: Right, Kyoko?

: She was 5 foot 6 inches tall and weighed 97 pounds. Her vitals were 31-22-32.
: Everything in her profile is consistent with that corpse.
: And then there's the matter of the Fenrir tattoo. So there's no question it's her.

: B-But...if Mukuro's not the mastermind, then...who's actually still alive...?

Someone's made it look like they died, but they're actually still alive... There's only one person it could be...!

Buzzsaw Roomba
Feb 14, 2012

Christ, what an asshole.
Well, they've spelled it out for us.

It could only be Mukuro's evil twin!

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

nonsense the mastermind is clearly...
An ai encased in a drone! It never set foot in the school because it was flying the whole time!

ManicVolcanic
Jun 5, 2016
If I actually called that Mukuro was impersonating Junko for whatever reason I'll be a little mad

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009
Speculation:

Junko being the mastermind makes way too much sense, given the evidence. Why is her face hidden in the photos? Because it's actually her, not Mukuro, and that way no one has a true face to look at. Why did the corpse have a fenrir tattoo? Because it's actually Mukuro. Ditto for the vitals matching. Why didn't the true mastermind have a tattoo when she attacked Makoto? Because it's Junko, who has no tattoo.

The only weird thing to explain is how the swap occurred in the first place. If we go the other way, and assume Mukuro is the mastermind, then all the explanations above don't work and need to be filled in. The only thing a Mukuro theory solves is the swap explanation, because there wasn't one.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Buried alive posted:

Why did the corpse have a fenrir tattoo? Because it's actually Mukuro. Ditto for the vitals matching. Why didn't the true mastermind have a tattoo when she attacked Makoto? Because it's Junko, who has no tattoo.

Something I found amusing is that also retroactively makes Makoto's counter argument that the person who attacked him couldn't have been Mukuro because she didn't have a tattoo wrong, because if it was Mukuro posing as Junko, that tattoo was covered up and made invisible with makeup anyway (so the person who attacked him could still have been Mukuro with the tattoo covered up).

Kangra
May 7, 2012

I don't have any comment on the speculation, but this did sort of stick out at me:

vvvvvvvvvv
Yes, that's my own shoddy Photoshop skills on display. I doubt I'm the first to do it, of course.

Kangra fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Aug 24, 2016

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Kangra posted:

I don't have any comment on the speculation, but this did sort of stick out at me:

That's wonderful, did you make it? :allears: Made me laugh even though I already made the connection.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

I'm just gonna leave a picture here from a very early update.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

: Junko is still alive. It's the only possibility!
: Are you sure about that?
: ...Huh?
: I admit, since Mukuro is undoubtedly dead, Junko does seem to be the only other explanation.

: But we saw her get impaled. She died right before our very eyes...

: If Junko were still alive, the death we saw would had to have been some kind of charade.

: But you yourself confirmed she was dead, did you not?

Now that you mention it...

I gently placed my hand on Junko's lifeless body... I touched her wrist to check for a pulse, like they do in movies and stuff, but...

: ...She...really is dead.

There wasn't anything else to say. She was gone...

I did check, absolutely. And I can say for sure...

: She was dead. There's no question...Junko was dead.
: So...the idea that she's still alive...
: It must be...wrong.
: Th-Then you're withdrawing your p-previous statement...!?

: Puhu... Puhuhu! I know you gave it your best shot, but too bad! I guess your conclusion was a dud!
: Ahahaha! Too bad, too bad!
: This case hasn't been decided just yet...
: Oh...?

: You haven't given up already, have you Makoto?

...Huh?

: N-No, of course not! There's no way I'd give up that easy!
: That's all well and good, but how do you intend to solve the problem standing in your way? Junko absolutely died. Mukuro absolutely died.

: Then both of them are dead, right!? There can't be any kind of survivor story!
: I think we need to look at this from the opposite direction.
: Huh? The opposite direction...?
: Let's assume Junko is still alive. If so, how could she have survived?

How could Junko have survived...?

I checked her. She was dead, I'm sure of it.

But still...if she *were* alive somehow... Could it be that...Junko's not the one that died? It wasn't Junko, but someone else entirely? Maybe she used some sort of trick...

: New to this Hangman's Gambit is the green letter. They take 4 hits to break. Additionally, the game has been gradually ramping up the speed of the minigame for a while now.

: The letters move more erratically and you probably have two or three seconds from the time the letter appears before it disappears. You're really encouraged to use your Focus Gauge here to give yourself more time to hit the fast moving letters.

> REPLACED

: That's it! What if she switched places with someone else!?
: S-Switched places...?
: That's right. Before the spears could kill her, she got someone to take her place.
: Specifically, Mukuro Ikusaba!
: Then that would make it Mukuro's corpse that showed up later.
: Which is why the body's height and weight and everything matched Mukuro's profile, right?
: I dunno anything about this switching places thing, but...

: ...that had to be Junko who got stabbed to death, right?

: Yeah, you're s-saying they switched? When could they even h-have done that?

: Right when she was a-about to die? Like she used some kind of ninja r-replacement technique?

: Good point. There's just no way they could have switched like that.
: So maybe the whole idea is wrong...

There has to be some way... I need to figure out how to explain how they could have switched...!

> They switched at the beginning

: The two of them...may have switched places from the very beginning.
: What...? From the beginning?

: Yes, from the moment we first met. If that's when they switched...

: ...then they wouldn't have had to switch at the moment of death, right?

: After all, the one we saw at that point would have already been Mukuro.

: H-Hold on...! So you're saying the "Junko" we first met...

: ...was actually Mukuro all along!?

: Th-Then...we'd already met her!?
: I had, like, a normal conversation with her!
: When we first met, none of us knew who anyone else was.

: So Mukuro could have simply told us her name was Junko...and we never would have known the difference.

: That would easily allow the two of them to switch places from the very beginning.
: Wait, but Mukuro had a tattoo on the back of her hand, right!?

: Junko never had any tattoo like that, did she?

: She could have hidden it with foundation or something like that. If she did, it likely melted away in the explosion, exposing the tattoo after the body was extinguished. Plus, there were the fake nails found on the hands of Mukuro's body.

: They were the same fake red nails she was wearing when we all met for the first time.

: B-But...if she really did use foundation...
: Correct. Even if there was no tattoo on her hand, I couldn't say for certain it wasn't Mukuro.
: So I'm glad nobody noticed that glaring hole when we were trying to figure out who attacked Makoto...
: But too bad for you, Monokuma. You can't deny it anymore.

: Wait, so...! This whole thing was a set-up from the very beginning!?
: If that's true, it was quite an elaborate plan, to be sure. Making it look like Mukuro was Junko...
: The reason such an elaborate plan was possible is because the two of them were working together.
: So Mukuro, the Ultimate Despair, teamed up with someone like her...

: In other words, it would be fair to say that Junko herself was also the Ultimate Despair!
: What's wrong? Lost the will to fight back?
: I think he's just afraid...

: Afraid? What's that mean, afraid?
: Fear is only possible where hope is possible. I only have despair, so fear is an alien concept to me.
: Then why haven't you been saying anything?
: Because it's a bunch of nonsense. Junko's my secret identity? Puhuhu! As if!

: Then why did you try and protect Junko's real identity?
: I tried to protect her identity?
: When did I do that?

So he still refuses to admit it. But... He can try and deceive us all he wants, it doesn't matter. Because I've already figured it out... He tried to hide Junko's identity. And not just once, but twice... The first time was during our latest investigation...

> Present "Interview DVD"

: While I was in the A/V room, watching the DVD of our interviews with the headmaster...

It wasn't just the monitor. The DVD player itself had apparently turned off. Which of course meant that the DVD player wasn't playing anymore.

: Wh-What the heck just happened...?

: Oopsie! Looks like it broke! Out of service!
: What? It just so happened to break just now...?
: Now, then, when, doesn't matter! Failure can strike anywhere, anytime!
: That's what failure IS, right!? *leaves*

: You made sure I couldn't finish watching the video. And the reason you did that...
: ...is because you didn't want me to see the real Junko, did you?
: Oh, yeah! If everyone was in that video, of course Junko would've had to show up!
: And if Makoto saw the real Junko...it would've been totally obvious that the Junko we met was an imposter!
: Th-That whole power outage thing was just a fluke!

No, it wasn't a fluke. The mastermind definitely orchestrated that power outage...! And that's not the only time they tried to hide Junko's identity. The mastermind tried to cover up one other piece of evidence. I've gotta reveal that!

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
This twist was pretty neat when I first saw it when reading Oren's LP in the archive. Plenty of hints but still pretty subtle.

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009
Foundation seems like a lame way out for the tattoo, but I guess it works, so..eh.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Buried alive posted:

Foundation seems like a lame way out for the tattoo, but I guess it works, so..eh.

It's actually quite plausible, there are foundations designed to cover tattoos, but tap on a couple of layers and blend, and you can cover that size of a tattoo easy with most types of foundation. Or even theatrical makeup.

Robindaybird fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Aug 25, 2016

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

drat, for some of those Hangman's Gambits the solution is obvious from the start. For others, such as this "REPLACED" one, I just didn't see it while watching the video. I mean, I knew what Makoto was trying to say, but there's so many words to indicate someone switched identities.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Carbon dioxide posted:

drat, for some of those Hangman's Gambits the solution is obvious from the start. For others, such as this "REPLACED" one, I just didn't see it while watching the video. I mean, I knew what Makoto was trying to say, but there's so many words to indicate someone switched identities.

If you think that is bad, the second game is worse. All of the solutions are twice as long as this one, and the minigame is now stupidly hard. On my second run of the game, I went from full health to almost a game over, despite knowing what the solution was. Twice.

Also,

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Something I found amusing is that also retroactively makes Makoto's counter argument that the person who attacked him couldn't have been Mukuro because she didn't have a tattoo wrong, because if it was Mukuro posing as Junko, that tattoo was covered up and made invisible with makeup anyway (so the person who attacked him could still have been Mukuro with the tattoo covered up).

The game did go over this, so you were right to be confused.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

The Hangman minigames are some of the worst localization choices I've ever seen. It was my least favorite game in the original, make no mistake, but at least there the words were carefully chosen for character diversity and clarity, as well as for steadily escalating difficulty as the game went on (and they never got even close to as long as the English version sometimes makes them). This version is random and it looks like the localizers didn't even make an effort to match the game-design aspects of it.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Why didn't they just use 'Imposter'? Same number of letters and way more obvious :negative:

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Now that the monocat is out of the monobag, go read again Junko's Mukuro's free time events (handy link)

Choice quotes:

quote:

: Listen, maybe I can introduce you to some of my friends sometime! So, what's your type? You're super passive, right? So you need an aggressive girl!

: I'll find the perfect girl for you as soon as we get outta here! Ehehe! I hope you're as excited as I am! *leaves*

She was totally going to set up Naegi with Mukuro :)
And now I'm :smith: 'cause I'm thinking that maybe those two were actually dating in the missing year.

quote:

: What, do I look like I would? Do I seriously look like a killer!?
No comments needed on this one

quote:

: And up until now, I never did that. I never let my dreams grow... All I saw was that one dream. I put everything I had into that one narrow little world... I feel like there's so much more I could be doing that I'm not, and I don't like that feeling... So I think I'm going to start looking for it... Is it childish of me to think like that? Am I just being a baby?
:smith::smith:

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

Omobono posted:

Now that the monocat is out of the monobag, go read again Junko's Mukuro's free time events (handy link)

You forgot to mention her "hobo life" which is probably actually her life with Fenrir.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Also that Naegi mentions she looks different than she does in magazines.

Grats thread, this time some rear end in a top hat didn't make one of the major twists of the game into a thread meme.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Omobono posted:

She was totally going to set up Naegi with Mukuro :)

How would she set Naegi up with herself?

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Rarity posted:

probably by dropping the Junko charade at some point and go 'Hi, Junko said you'd be a good fit for me?'

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

The headmaster is kind of incompetent when you think about it. His goal was to tuck away the best and the brightest for a good future and keep them safe right?

So who does he pick? Of the 16 he managed to include a future crime lord(Byakayu), a gang boss(Mondo), a serial killer(Genocide Jill), a child soldier(Mukuro), and a terrorist(the mastermind).
Thats...not exactly a great selection for 1/3 of your group.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

What happens to junko in the bad ending where everyone has Hina babies? She just stays in the room forever?

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Virtue posted:

What happens to junko in the bad ending where everyone has Hina babies? She just stays in the room forever?

The bad ending was just in Makoto's mind. He didn't know that she was alive then, so she wouldn't have shown up in his daydream.

ManicVolcanic
Jun 5, 2016

FoolyCharged posted:

The headmaster is kind of incompetent when you think about it. His goal was to tuck away the best and the brightest for a good future and keep them safe right?

So who does he pick? Of the 16 he managed to include a future crime lord(Byakayu), a gang boss(Mondo), a serial killer(Genocide Jill), a child soldier(Mukuro), and a terrorist(the mastermind).
Thats...not exactly a great selection for 1/3 of your group.

Byakuya is ruthless, but wouldn't have tried anything on anyone in the school under normal circumstances. Mondo is similar -- he's hotheaded, but a good guy. Mukuro is an obviously questionable choice, but for the rest, it was likely impossible for the headmaster to know anything was up.

I'm more concerned with the choice of Celeste. She's the Ultimate Gambler, known for being impossibly skilled at lying. Why is she a good idea to bring into the school?

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Whether or not he knew doesn't change the fact that of the people the headmaster chose to rebuild society or whatever, a large portion of them were criminals.
He seems to have built some kind of bomb shelter environment for the up and coming generations greatest minds and yet populates it with people whose specialties are useless to society at best and downright hostile at worst.

It's no wonder the mastermind took over, the guy was bad at his job

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

I personally like to believe that before, everyone but the mastermind was a decent kid, who fit right in. Look at how much fun they were all having in the old school photos.

It's just that the mastermind's memory wipe turned them all ~anime~.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

: I tried to protect her identity?

: If you didn't notice earlier, there's something very wrong with the photos!

> Fire "Group Photo"

: The video wasn't the only thing you tried to cover up. You did the same thing with this group photo!
: Uh--! Uh-ooooohh...!
: I noticed it just a little while ago, when we were all comparing the photos we'd gotten. In all the photos, there's a certain similarity, an unusual circumstance.
: Wh-What's so unusual about them!?

The unusual circumstance common to all these pictures...

The unusual circumstance is...

> Junko's face

: Junko's face. The one thing common to every single photo is that you can't see her face.

: It's hard to believe her face would just happen to be hidden in every single picture, don't you think?

: And on top of that, in this photo you can see that Mukuro is clearly visible. So in other words, at that point, the two of them hadn't switched yet. With all that in mind, there's no doubt that the girl whose face is hidden here is the real Junko. Which is why you had to have pictures that didn't show her face. Because if we could have seen her face, then it would have clearly revealed...
: ...that the Junko in the pictures wasn't the Junko that we knew!

: Xanadu!
: I believe everything Makoto said is true.
: Junko and Mukuro switched places before we met either of them.
: So she killed Mukuro, who had taken her place, making it look like she'd died. And the real Junko...is still alive.
: And she's the one behind this whole murderous situation, this "killing game"...

: She's the true mastermind and the Ultimate Despair!
: Xanadu times two!
: With this, the identity, and the crimes, of the mastermind have been exposed.
: N-No, wait...! Hold on!
: Don't bother trying to deny it. There's no more room for debate. You don't have anywhere left to run.

: I'll prove everything...right now!

: Here's exactly what happened!
: (Don't forget to read right to left!)

: We met the Ultimate Fashionista, Junko Enoshima right after we all arrived here... But that wasn't the real Junko.

: The girl we saw before us was actually the sixteenth student, who had taken Junko's place. And that girl's name was Mukuro Ikusaba.

: But it wasn't long before she died at the hands of Monokuma. In other words, the mastermind...Junko Enoshima.

: Her body was kept in the bio lab, which had been converted into a morgue. Until Junko decided to put her body to use.

: Junko dragged the body out of the bio lab, using the tarp to carry her to the garden. She fabricated the murder to try and frame Kyoko, who'd proven to be one big thorn in her side.

: Meanwhile, she wanted us all to think Mukuro was still alive, and hiding somewhere inside the school.

: So she put on a mask and then attacked me.

: After making sure I'd gotten a good look at the mask, she left the room...

: Then she put the same mask on Mukuro's body. This was all to make us think the person who attacked me and the corpse were one and the same... She wanted us to believe the murder had only recently taken place.

: Finally, by strapping a bomb to the body, she was able to destroy any remaining evidence. She needed to hide the body's true identity. She had to make sure we didn't find out it was actually the same person we'd met in the beginning. This is the truth behind Mukuro's murder. And the one who carried it all out is the true mastermind, the one controlling Monokuma...

: The real Junko Enoshima!

: That's the whole story behind this incident! Well? What do you have to say to that!?
: ... ... ...
: ... ... ... ... ...

: What, are you broken again?

: You can't get out of this, so don't even try!

: Come on! It's time you finally revealed yourself!

: It's not like y-you're an endangered species or something! How l-long do you plan to keep hiding?

: Give it up, Junko. The game's over.

: ...Over?
: Puhu... Puhuhu... Did you really think the story would end once we reached the climax of the case?

: Wrong! There's still plenty more to go!

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Oh Junko.

Lots of people have mixed feelings about her, but I still think she's one of my favorite anime villains.

EDIT: You have the last update as the video link.

ManicVolcanic
Jun 5, 2016
Alright, here we go. Finally, the truth is out. The introduction panel for Junko's reveal was a nice touch.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

I still think my approach of getting just the first couple of lines after this reveal in the corresponding update (up to where the player gets to make a choice) was one of my best structuring decisions on the original thread.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

edit: ^^^ That would've been another good way to do it but this felt like a more natural cutoff between the updates. I think I also split my video at this exact point too, making the edits easier in post.

hopeandjoy posted:

Oh Junko.

Lots of people have mixed feelings about her, but I still think she's one of my favorite anime villains.

EDIT: You have the last update as the video link.

Do I? I just went to fix it and the url for the video is definitely different from Part 5's video. Not to mention clicking it takes me to Part 6.

FPzero fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Aug 26, 2016

Buzzsaw Roomba
Feb 14, 2012

Christ, what an asshole.
Xanadu! Hello Despair!

Time to find out what it's all been about!

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

FPzero posted:

edit: ^^^ That would've been another good way to do it but this felt like a more natural cutoff between the updates. I think I also split my video at this exact point too, making the edits easier in post.

It also had to do with the nature of that thread, of course. At that point back then, the Junko reveal was the ultimate non-surprise and stopping it just there would have opened the door to many, many poo poo posts, especially considering it took a few days to translate and prepare the next update.

Having just a couple of more lines after the reveal makes such a different impression of the situation, that it opened the door to some of my favorite reaction posts ever instead.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

FPzero posted:

Do I? I just went to fix it and the url for the video is definitely different from Part 5's video. Not to mention clicking it takes me to Part 6.

You're right, I just kept scrolling too high up to find the video link.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

orenronen posted:

It also had to do with the nature of that thread, of course. At that point back then, the Junko reveal was the ultimate non-surprise and stopping it just there would have opened the door to many, many poo poo posts, especially considering it took a few days to translate and prepare the next update.

Having just a couple of more lines after the reveal makes such a different impression of the situation, that it opened the door to some of my favorite reaction posts ever instead.

Hahaha, I bet. I should go back and look at them later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

The reveal is really good in my opinion. From a meta perspective the major red warning is that they put that "Junko, you don't look like the magazines" exchange out of the free time events, but all other foreshadowing was on the level.
Ok, Mukuro's dead sprite is basically a palette swap of "Junko"'s dead sprite, but it's later enough that it is something that is not obvious.

Rarity posted:

That evening:
"Junko, later on when this is over you'll be the ultimate wingwoman or God help me, you'll become the ultimate warzone victim instead."

• Locked thread