Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DLord
Apr 28, 2013
Hello Ultimate Despair. And that is right and meant. Just you wait and see.

Like all the other Ultimates, their skill is out of this world and so is Junko's Despair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

FoolyCharged posted:

The headmaster is kind of incompetent when you think about it. His goal was to tuck away the best and the brightest for a good future and keep them safe right?

So who does he pick? Of the 16 he managed to include a future crime lord(Byakayu), a gang boss(Mondo), a serial killer(Genocide Jill), a child soldier(Mukuro), and a terrorist(the mastermind).
Thats...not exactly a great selection for 1/3 of your group.

Since when is Byakayu a future crime lord?

orenronen posted:

I still think my approach of getting just the first couple of lines after this reveal in the corresponding update (up to where the player gets to make a choice) was one of my best structuring decisions on the original thread.

My favorite was when you structured the case 4 trial so several updates ended with someone different claiming to have killed Sakura.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

FoolyCharged posted:

Whether or not he knew doesn't change the fact that of the people the headmaster chose to rebuild society or whatever, a large portion of them were criminals.
He seems to have built some kind of bomb shelter environment for the up and coming generations greatest minds and yet populates it with people whose specialties are useless to society at best and downright hostile at worst.

It's no wonder the mastermind took over, the guy was bad at his job

Quite frankly nothing about the story/premise makes a drat bit of sense if you try to think about it. The more which gets revealed, the less sense it makes. It's probably best to just dismiss it as dumb and turn your brain off.

orenronen posted:

It also had to do with the nature of that thread, of course. At that point back then, the Junko reveal was the ultimate non-surprise

I think that a significant share of the blame for that rests on you for saying "Every character is important" or "Every character has a significant role to play", and sticking to that even after it was pointed out what a pointless death Junko had. That was a big flag which fuelled tiresome speculation far in advance of Chapter 5. Sometimes, I think that telling blatant lies to the audience is the best plan, although I understand that comes down to personal preference.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Aug 26, 2016

Buzzsaw Roomba
Feb 14, 2012

Christ, what an asshole.
The mysteries of Danganronpa are structured in such a way that the player will usually figure out the twists well in advance of the protagonist. This is even more the case in an LP, in which scores of people are pouring over each update multiple times and discussing them with each other.

I enjoy it anyway!

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Yeah, any mystery in an LP can usually be figured out much faster than intended just because you have time to go back and re-read stuff. In this game, since all you have is a limited transcript, you just have to keep moving the story forward. There's no opportunity to go back and re-examine aspects of the case like we can here. It makes it a lot more tense as you try to figure out the answer to the mystery. And even if you figured it out way ahead of time, like with Celeste in Chapter 3, figuring out how the whole thing was done is another fun part of it all.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

In a screenshot LP, the ability to go back in the thread and putting the following two screenshots back to back is very powerful. All it takes is one person to recognize Mukuro's corpse and checking.

To add to that, the previous LP's thread went full retard with the JUNKOS meme for like 100 pages, to the point that the mods had to threaten the banhammer to make it stop. Everyone was still thinking about Junko, so of course someone would notice it. The moment the meme got traction, any chance of this reveal going unnoticed was nil.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

I think that a significant share of the blame for that rests on you for saying "Every character is important" or "Every character has a significant role to play", and sticking to that even after it was pointed out what a pointless death Junko had. That was a big flag which fuelled tiresome speculation far in advance of Chapter 5. Sometimes, I think that telling blatant lies to the audience is the best plan, although I understand that comes down to personal preference.

It also doesn't help that he mentioned that in the artbook the developers said that Leon and Sayaka were killed first because they were sick of using them as a base for the other characters, without mentioning Junko, who died in between them, suggesting that her role wasn't over yet.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

I mean, "An Example" isn't an unimportant role...

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Quite frankly nothing about the story/premise makes a drat bit of sense if you try to think about it. The more which gets revealed, the less sense it makes. It's probably best to just dismiss it as dumb and turn your brain off.

I dunno, the headmaster is actually an incompetent loser whose plan sucks justifies quite a bit about how a single terrorist took over his entire school to the point of trapping the kids into a murder game.

She showed the player that the characters can and will die and that breaking the rules results in very lethal consequences. Her death sets up most of why monokuma is a threat, that's a pretty important part to play.

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006
Canadian Santa Extraordinaire

FPzero posted:

[i]The unusual circumstance common to all these pictures...

I kind of wish they had obfuscated this a little more. The only photo in which anybody else's face is obscured is Leon's in the swimming scene, which, nevermind it feeling a little unrealistic and put on- it makes it glaringly clear in every shot that you should notice :siren:there's one person you can't see:siren:!

If 2-3 people in every shot were obscured in some way maybe it wouldn't be so clear.
Or maybe it would just draw attention to Junko more? I don't know.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

I don't recall ever saying that. I do remember saying that some characters are exactly the stereotypes they first appear to be and don't get much development while others have Layers, and that it's difficult to predict at the beginning which is which.

I also said pretty soon after the LP started that dead bodies we see on screen are real and no one comes back from death in this game, which is completely true (if you ignore the short period of time where Yamada appeared to be dead but wasn't) yet deliberately misleading.

The JUNKOS meme, as I remember it, started from some conspiracy-theory-like posts (which turned out to be at least partly true) that got repeatedly ridiculed but also spawned a lot of responses where every possible scenario involving the character was offered. It was a funny (but unfortunate, knowing where the story goes) joke that turned annoying as people who weren't particularly funny kept latching into it, until it reached the point where the moderators made it a bannable subject.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

The one thing I remember the most from the JUNKOS meme was the picture someone drew early on of Hiro with both his arms out, slightly odd look on his face with the caption "JUNKOS". And then the slow realization that "this lovely meme might actually be true" as the truth started coming out.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

:siren: Click here to watch this update's video. :siren:

: Voice Actresses: Amanda Celine Miller & Erin Fitzgerald
: We have been waiting! Waiting so very long for peasants like you to appear! If you swear your fealty to us, we will reward you with half of the entire world! We've even drawn up the deed already! We will grant you honor, status, and some of our home cooking! Have you made your choice? Will you serve under us?

> No thanks

: Oh, did you think I was being serious? Sorry, I was just messing with you. It's been so long since I've had an audience, even I'm not sure what kind of role I'm supposed to play.

This...is the mastermind! She's... The real Junko Enoshima...

: Anyway, looks like I've finally been set free. Having to play Monokuma all the time, day after day... It was like I was stuck in purgatory, or like a slow suicide. I get bored so easy, ya know?

: Y-Your face...
: Huh? What about my face? What's wrong with my beautiful face? People have told me I'm cuter than a hundred chihuahuas combined.
: I feel like...this isn't the first time I've seen you.

No, I do remember seeing it... I'm sure I've seen her too somewhere. Was it...?

> Before arriving at school

: That's right! It was before I ever came to this school. I remember seeing a magazine cover...

: And...you were on it!

: Wow, you have a pretty good memory. I guess that's why you've made it this far, huh?
: So I was right... Then what you told me in the main hall when this all began...

I've seen her on tons of magazine covers, but...[/i]

: I feel like that doesn't quite match up to reality.
: Huh...?

: Oh, are you talking about my cover photos and junk?
: Ahaha, well of course! Those are totally photoshopped.
: Photoshopped...?

: Yeah, you know--edited to hell and back. With like, computers and junk?
: Oh, so they aren't real...

: Sometimes a little lie is necessary to keep things moving along, wouldn't you agree?
: That explains why she didn't quite seem the same. Because she was a different person all along...
: I'm me, and Mukuro is Mukuro. She tried her best, but there's just no way she could have passed as the Ultimate Fashionista. Two people can never become one as long as the walls of mind and body exist... Not even if they're twins.
: T-Twins!?
: I know, it's such a cliche, right? I'm almost embarrassed to admit it. So basically, Mukuro and I had your stereotypical "twin" relationship... The older sister, tough and proud--that was Mukuro. The younger sister, smart and cute--that was...

: Hyaaaahaha! Me! Junko loving Enoshima! And together, we were the Despair Sisters! AKA the Ultimate Despair!
: Whoa, she's a totally different person now!
: Like I said, I get bored easy as hell! I even get fuckin' bored with myself!

: B-But if you're twins, why do you have d-different last names?
: Ugh, that again? You have any idea how many times people ask me that poo poo? Maybe it's new to your dumb rear end, but it bores me to tears! Answering the same questions, over and over! Just make up whatever answer you want, I don't give a poo poo! The truth's fuckin' lame, anyway.
: But...if she was your twin, that means...you killed your own sister?
: And for reasons deeper and darker than the ocean! ...Hah! As if!

: Well, I suppose I'd better explain... For my plan to work, someone had to be able to control the killing game from behind the scenes.

: The so-called mastermind had to operate Monokuma, keep an eye on everyone, things like that. But after looking at the situation, I determined it would be impossible for Mukuro to perform such duties. Because naturally, she turned out to be the letdown of the family. Leaving me behind to run off and join some band of mercenaries... Such a disappointment.
: So, I decided to play the role of director and have her join the rest of you in your school life. I could have let her work alongside me, but she would have been useless to me that way. Besides, 15 students seemed like a solid number to start with. Of course, the fact that she was the Ultimate Soldier posed something of a problem.
: She had what I call the "three atrocities"--atrociously rank, atrociously filthy, atrociously repulsive. It was atrociously clear just how out of touch she was with the rest of society. Meanwhile, my "Ultimate Fashionista" status has an undeniable appeal that I didn't want to go to waste.

: And that's...why you switched identities?
: Sadly, her inability to match my personality was even greater than I'd calculated. It was a lost cause... She was nothing more than a bit player, an extra unworthy of lines. Being the utter disappointment that she was, anyone would have expected her to get killed off right away. Which is precisely why I killed her--to meet everyone's expectations.

: That... can't be your only reason, can it?
: Well no, of course not. I also did it to avoid becoming bored.

: I've never been a stickler for following a plan to the letter, ya know? If I planned everything out and knew just what was gonna happen, that'd be sooo boooring! So, I changed things just a bit, and decided to use Mukuro to make a little point!
: In other words, Mukuro's death was a one-sided, premeditated act of betrayal.
: Just as I suspected... When Mukuro was killed, she must have been as surprised as anybody else.

: ...Wh...? H-Huh? This wasn't...supposed to... Why...me...?

: Eh-heh! So you figured it out? Well you're right! There's no way Mukuro could have pulled off such a convincing performance! But she did teach you all a very valuable lesson, don't you think?
: ...How can you talk like that...?
: You sacrificed your own sister... How does that not even bother you!?
: What? I sacrificed her? That's what's got you so hot under the collar? Jeez, misunderstandings sure are scary!

: We were the Ultimate Despair, ya know? So we never had any kind of hope, or expectations. No, I've felt despair as long as I can remember, like I never should have been born at all. When I was born, I cried tears of total despair. So that's why for us, it's not a big deal whether we die or kill! We're just those kinds of people. We can do anything! We've always been filled with despair, so when we do something, we go all the way and live without regret!
: So you just murdered your own sister, and didn't think anything of it...?

: That's not true at all... That's why it gets me so...excited.
: ...Huh?
: Killing my precious sister with my own two hands... That act is filled with so much despair, you can't help but put a "super" in front of it. It's like super super super super super despair. No, more than that... Super super super super super super super super super super super super super super super despair... It just feels...so...good...
: What the hell is wrong with you...?
: And my sister, too... In that moment of death, I think she must have felt that despair. After all, to be murdered by your own sister, and only as an example to someone else...? She must have died feeling such excruciating hopelessness... I'm so...jealous of her. Super jealous...

: I knew you couldn't be just some ordinary person. You're some kind of...abnormality.
: Turning your own despair into some kind of fetish... Abnormality doesn't even begin to describe it.
: Like, Genocide Jill is crazy for sure, but...this is a whole nother level of nuts!
: You're saying I don't compare to some lowly beast that can only kill the weak, right? So I'm hopelessly attractive? Hopelessly brilliant? Hopelessly athletic...? I'm the hopelessly perfect ultimate human?

: No...I don't think there's anything "perfect" about anything you just said.
: Yeah! Master's way more p-perfect! Cuz on top of everything else, he's got that n-noble blood!
: Huh? Don't you mean...*had* that noble blood?
: What did you just say? What do you mean by that?

: Puhuhu. You still haven't figured that part out yet? Man you guys are so sloooow! You haven't even solved all the mysteries, and yet here you are, yap-yap-yapping away!
: Are you talking about our memories...?
: You've already solved this mystery, right? I'm the killer. So how about the next one? Maybe you should solve the riddle of your missing memories, *then* you can start gloating.

: drat straight! That's exactly what we're going to do. We're going to solve all these mysteries...
: And then...we'll have our victory!

: Puhuhu. I can't wait...

-----

: If you didn't watch the video, I'd like to point out that for every personality Junko takes, her voice changes drastically. If you don't watch the whole thing, I'd at least recommend skimming the video to get an idea for how they each sound. Her personalities here are a big part of what make Junko, well, Junko.

FPzero fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Sep 18, 2016

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

I'll have to commend Junko's VA for versatility, but does feel like the voice director missed that the second personality is a massive Dio reference.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

It's impressive how much the group is going along with this. I can explain a few of them, but Junko is probably fortunate that Mondo, Sakura or the like are out of the picture.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
I forgot how expressive Junko was. Serious Far Cry 3 vibes here :allears:

FoolyCharged posted:

It's impressive how much the group is going along with this. I can explain a few of them, but Junko is probably fortunate that Mondo, Sakura or the like are out of the picture.

The 'don't attack the Headmaster' rule is still in effect, so they'd just get Gungnir'd. Also Junko is kind of the only one who knows what's actually going on and can confirm any mystery solving the group does.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

EponymousMrYar posted:

I forgot how expressive Junko was. Serious Far Cry 3 vibes here :allears:

The 'don't attack the Headmaster' rule is still in effect, so they'd just get Gungnir'd. Also Junko is kind of the only one who knows what's actually going on and can confirm any mystery solving the group does.

Well 1) she's not the headmaster
and 2) she can't control monokuma to enforce that rule right now anyway.

I can totally see why the current group is choosing to pump her for information rather than attack her though

GodofDiscord
Sep 5, 2013

Not the strongest, but the cutest.

Robindaybird posted:

I'll have to commend Junko's VA for versatility, but does feel like the voice director missed that the second personality is a massive Dio reference.

I think in this case, Junko has 2 Voice Actor's. Coincidentally they are the same Voice Actors for both Touko and Genocide Jack. So in some roundabout way, Touko is the true mastermind.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

FPzero posted:

The one thing I remember the most from the JUNKOS meme was the picture someone drew early on of Hiro with both his arms out, slightly odd look on his face with the caption "JUNKOS". And then the slow realization that "this lovely meme might actually be true" as the truth started coming out.

It was a parody of the Ancient Aliens guy. The main meme has the guy in that pose and facial expression.

ManicVolcanic
Jun 5, 2016
I'm absolutely baffled. The hell is going on?

I suspect that Genocide Jill is the key to the missing memories. The game is going out of its way to remind you of her, and we have her memory as a Truth Bullet.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

ManicVolcanic posted:

I'm absolutely baffled. The hell is going on?

JUNKO.

That's what's happening.

Edit: I'm going through the first part again now that the cat's out of the bag.

quote:

: They make the eyes and junk super big, and tweak the skin so it looks all ceramic and porcelain.

Maybe it's the eyeshadow, but Junko's eyes do look a lot bigger than Mukuro's.

Orange Fluffy Sheep fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Aug 27, 2016

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

GodofDiscord posted:

I think in this case, Junko has 2 Voice Actor's. Coincidentally they are the same Voice Actors for both Touko and Genocide Jack. So in some roundabout way, Touko is the true mastermind.

I believe in English Fukawa and Genocider are two different voice actors, and the one who does Genocider also does Junko - and is different from the actress playing Mukuro elsewhere in the game.

Which is silly. Get someone with range to play two aspects of the same character (or closely related ones).

Edit: Huh, just noticed my red text.

orenronen fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Aug 27, 2016

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
From the start it seemed clear that the mastermind of the whole thing had to be twisted and insane. Junko totally delivers on that front. She's completely nuts and her VA('s?) are doing a fantastic job. She's manic and completely unhinged.

Robindaybird posted:

No idea who you're referring to.

Who gave Orenronen that title? The only LP's he seems to have commented in recently is this one, and I don't think he's "making GBS threads it up".

Buzzsaw Roomba
Feb 14, 2012

Christ, what an asshole.
*Ding dong, bing bong*

: A red text title has been discovered! After a certain amount of time, which you may use however you like, the thread trial will begin!

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
:wow:

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Let's stop this right here - I don't really care who gave me the red text, and I was long overdue for an avatar that isn't DR related anyway. This isn't my thread and let's not poo poo this up for real.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Buzzsaw Roomba posted:

*Ding dong, bing bong*

: A red text title has been discovered! After a certain amount of time, which you may use however you like, the thread trial will begin!

Hahaha, I appreciate this but I had to edit the portrait out of habit. :v:

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
I've seen making GBS threads up other people's LPs, hell I do it all the time, and nothing Oren has done resembles it.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

C-could someone please just SMACK Junko? Please? Like, seriously, if I were actually playing, I would've turned my system off right then and there. That is literally the most annoying thing I have EVER seen. The main villain of a story should not make the viewer feel ANNOYED by their presence.

Buzzsaw Roomba
Feb 14, 2012

Christ, what an asshole.
:yikes:

KillerEggplant
Apr 2, 2011

Buzzsaw Roomba posted:

Well, they've spelled it out for us.

It could only be Mukuro's evil twin!

And here you probably thought you were joking. Heh.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

serefin99 posted:

C-could someone please just SMACK Junko? Please? Like, seriously, if I were actually playing, I would've turned my system off right then and there. That is literally the most annoying thing I have EVER seen. The main villain of a story should not make the viewer feel ANNOYED by their presence.

It feels appropriate when the villain is a teenager who decided to gently caress everyone else over just for kicks.

ManicVolcanic
Jun 5, 2016
It seems to me like they took the inscrutable and baffling nature of Monokuma and turned it up for Junko, which makes sense.

Can I just say that Makoto's "drat straight" was the most... something thing that I've heard in the entire LP? Cause it definitely was.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I really do wonder how Junko fit that mask over her hair.

ManicVolcanic posted:

Can I just say that Makoto's "drat straight" was the most... something thing that I've heard in the entire LP? Cause it definitely was.

drat straight.

Buzzsaw Roomba posted:

Well, they've spelled it out for us.

It could only be Mukuro's evil twin!

:allears:

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Aug 27, 2016

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I really do wonder how Junko fit that mask over her hair.

Her haircut seems to be about as stable as her personality.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

:siren: Click here to watch this update's video. :siren:

: Alright! Then let's get straight to the point! What memories did you steal from us!?
: ...
: When the g-group pictures were taken... A-And those interviews... It must mean...

: I g-got it! It must have s-something to do with our entrance e-exams!
: Hmmmmmmm...
: No fair! At least give us a hint!

: Your brains are like sponges, all drippy and leaky. I already gave you a hint before! All the memories you lost share something in common with a few other things... Do you recall?

Thinking back to what Monokuma's told us... The memories that were stolen from us, and what they must be related to...

> The motives Monokuma came up with

: You're talking about the motives you provided to try and get us to kill each other, right?
: So you do remember, after all. Well, I would hope you wouldn't forget something so important. It was stupid of me to even ask. I apologize from the bottom of my heart for my bad manners.

: So then, let me ask you another question. Did you notice that each motive I presented you had a specific theme to it?
: A th-theme...?
: Yup, you got it. So that's my question to you all... When Sayaka was murdered, what was the theme of the motive I presented?

The theme for the motive Monokuma gave us for the first murder...

> Human connections

: The driving force behind the motive you presented us with at that point was human connections.
: Ding ding ding! You got it. Remember those DVDs I gave you guys? Each video showed the total destruction of your most important relationships.

: For example, your family...

: For example, your friends...

: I ruined all those relationships, and showed you the results. It was to motivate your desire to escape, and kickstart your urge to kill. But still...what a cruel thing to do.
: You're the one that did it!
: Yes, well, I'm perfectly happy to accept your disapproval.

: Okaaay! Time for the next question! Umm, so...what was the theme for the second motive!?

For the second murder...the motive's theme was...

> The past

: It was...our past, right?
: Yaaay! Makoto got it right again! That time, the theme was...

: ...embarrassing memories and secrets! Kyah! And the whole reason Mondo did what he did was to protect his secret!

: So...? How long do you plan on dragging this out?
: Relax, relax! Okay, on to the next question! Sooo, what was the motive for the third murder!?

The theme for the third murder was...

> Greed

: It was money, wasn't it? Greed.
: Seek and destroy! Hell yeah, you got it again!

: Goddamn straight it was money! Celeste killed Hifumi and Taka for a little personal gain! Her greed led to all kinds of death and destruction!

: What's the point of all this? Why are you making us go through this case by case!?
: Haahahaha! Don't worry, sweet cheeks! Just one more to go! Now, can you tell me the motive behind crazy-rear end Sakura's crazy-rear end death?

The motive in the case of Sakura's death was...

> Betrayal

: In her case, it was betrayal...
: Precisely. You see...

: Once I revealed Sakura's betrayal, that led to everything that came afterwards...

: Anyway, it looks like you answered all of my questions correctly. How painfully delightful...
: But what's the point? What meaning is there in asking those questions now?
: Relationships, secrets, money, betrayal... These are all pretty standard motives, right? The most normal of normal, totally middle of the road!

: But of course those aren't the only motives that exist in this world... In fact, there are as many reasons to kill a there are people on Earth. They compel humans to kill each other, bringing despair to the world. This is what we refer to as the seed of despair!
: Seed of despair...?
: Just as water, air, and food promote growth in living things, the seed of despair also needs nourishment... And that nourishment...is hope! Despair can grow only in the presence of hope! Two sides of the same coin, divided by a razor-thin line... Such is hope and despair!

: ...How much longer is this stupid speech of yours? Weren't we discussing our missing memories? Why are you trying to change the subject?
: If you would listen, you would see I'm *not* changing the subject. We *are* discussing your memories. What I'm trying to say is, the "seed of despair" is closely tied to your memories.
: H-How so...?

: You see, by taking away your memories, I gave you hope. Of course, that hope merely existed to be consumed by despair.
: How could taking away someone's memories...give them hope?
: And plus, you haven't given us any hope anyway!
: Is that so? All you've been able to think about during your time here is how to escape, right? The mere fact that that's what you want proves I gave you hope.

: What are you talking about...?
: If none of you wanted to escape this school, the killings never would have taken place. That is why we took your memories--so that you would have the desire to leave!
: The only reason we want to leave is because you took our memories... Is that what you're saying?
: Puhuhu... Correctamundo!
: Which means, if we *did* have our memories, then we *wouldn't* want to leave. Do I understand that right?

: Wh-What!? Why the HELL would having our memories make us not wanna leave!?
: Puhuhu... A most troubling thought, isn't it? But it's not enough. I want more distress, more despair...! I put so much effort into creating hope in order to feed your despair and make it grow... So, just like Crazy Eddie slashing his prices and passing the savings on to you, lemme give you a hint!
: Huh? Really!?
: Then h-hurry up and tell us!
: Okay dokey! Like they say, seeing is believing!

: I'd like for you to see...the outside world.

The...outside world?

: You mean the world beyond the school walls?

: So something really did happen out there...
: Now are you interested in what I have to say? You wanna see what's out there? Puhuhu. I wanna see, too... See your faces sink into despair...!

: Ah-hahahaha! Now then, OPEN SESAME!!! Behold, the world beyond the school walls! This is the outside world you've all been so anxious to claw your way back into!

: ...
: ... ... ...
: ... ... ... ... ...What the...?

: Dangerous... The world has grown so very dangerous. That's what this means.
: What are you talking about!? None of this makes any sense!
: Wh-What am I looking at?

: This is a scene f-from a movie or something, r-right?
: What you just saw... All of you should recognize it.

We should...recognize it? What about it should we recognize? This whole thing is insane...

: That world...is locked away within the memories that were taken from you. If you can't remember, please just try... Do your best to try and recall...
: Haahahaha! Better kick your brain in the rear end, cuz it's up to that grey lump whether you live or die! "I don't remember" ain't a fuckin' excuse no more! Cuz now it's time...

: ...for the final class trial!

ManicVolcanic
Jun 5, 2016
Oh, now it's time for the final class trial? What was all that leading up to it then?

I sort of figured that there had to be some sort of catastrophic event that led to everyone agreeing to stay in the school forever on the DVD. This sort of ridiculousness, though, I didn't expect.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

I really hope this trial ends with the mastermind offing herself as she claimed she would and the surviving kids just sitting around.
Does anyone know where the switch for the elevator is?
anyone?

ManicVolcanic posted:

I sort of figured that there had to be some sort of catastrophic event that led to everyone agreeing to stay in the school forever on the DVD. This sort of ridiculousness, though, I didn't expect.

same

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Those pictures are pretty ridiculous. What are the odds that they're fake?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
I dunno, the world seems pretty rad. Put on your best clothes, your Monokuma mask, grab a blunt object, and get to smacking.

What is that guy doing, hitting the trunk of a car that's already on fire? Why is he wearing gloves? Who cares? It's a party!

• Locked thread