Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Ah, let's see what the English localization of Dongle Rapper has to offer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

It's interesting to meet the gang again. I kinda forgot what they all were like.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

I couldn't care less about some Japanese name being mispronounced. But wasn't Sakura's gender kept ambiguous for quite a while in the original?

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Alright, then I misremembered. :shobon:

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

I'm not sure I like Monokuma's voice so much. But it doesn't really matter.

Mondo sounded suspiciously like Vegeta, there. :v:

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

No, in the last thread it was 'whichever of their names is easiest to remember'.

When you say Naegi I immediately know it's our protag. When you say Makoto, it's a typical Japanese consonant-vowel-consonant-vowel-consonant-vowel thing and as far as I'm concerned that could be any of the guys or girls.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

I agree with orenronen on this one. Not the best way to handle this joke.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Why is that track called Box 15 anyway? Does that name have any meaning at all?

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

It says in that vid that proto-Leon was a punk rocker. I guess they made him a baseball star just to fit with the punishment? And then later they wrote the crystal ball story around it.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

FPzero posted:

: There's actually nothing in here but I wanted to show it off. The classrooms play very little role in the game. Occasionally you can find a student in there during Free Time but other than that, almost nothing important happens in them.

No kidding. Even Monokuma must hate that awful wallpaper.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Huh, there's something interesting in that scene which I didn't notice the first time, in Orenronen's LP, but which stood out now. I can't say what it is because spoilers, but it's kinda neat seeing it now.

You know tagged spoilers are allowed in this thread right?

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Yes, look at this other totally real Japanese person.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Is it bad if I have no idea what the difference in presentation is supposed to be?

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Ah, cool. Thanks for clarifying that.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Leif. posted:

The gang leader guy even refers to Chihiro as "Dude" at one point.

I was wondering if this was also the case in the Japanese version.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

So glad to finally see :syoon: again. Toko's original personality gets so grating after a while, this is her better side.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Pittsburgh Lambic posted:

This does all explain why it was Fukawa, specifically Fukawa, who shut down Ishimaru's proposal that everybody reveal their secrets to each other right in the gym. Whatever anyone else's secret was, Fukawa's secret read something around the lines of "I'm mentally ill and I randomly turn into a famous serial killer who specifically targets effeminate boys for a slow, gruesome death because they're so fuckin' cute."

Gotta wonder if there were two slips of paper in Fukawa's envelope, one for her secret and one for Genocide Jill's. Then again, I'm not sure I want to know what Genocide Jill's embarrassing secret is.

"I randomly turn into an annoying novel writer without self esteem."

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

I actually forgot the exact sequence of events, so there's still a bunch of little mysteries each round.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Wait, when was Sakura last referred to as 'Ogre'? I feel that came up much more often in the original version.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

The question should've been phrased in heavy slang. Cockney rhyming slang maybe?

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Overflight posted:

Taka has become the Hybrid. Rassilon help us all.

Half timelord, half super saiyan. All badass.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Why does it say 'BLUB' around Hifumi when he's angry?

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Bronchitis is good for a person. My dad used the week he was down with bronchitis to stop smoking, that proves it. :v:
Or was that pneumonia? I just realized I don't really know the difference

Anyway, I hope you get better soon.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

I really like this trial. Going in, I didn't remember anything but the true culprit.

But all the directions it goes, everyone who was involved and got blamed... it's just great and it all makes sense, somehow.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Togami only thought that everyone was out to maximize personal gain. The idea that someone could become so upset that they'd be willing to sacrifice their own life just to try and punish someone else they blamed never crossed his mind. That's why he failed to understand.

Knowing Sakura, she might not even have wanted to punish anyone. She figured people were fighting because of her, and simply wanted to end the fighting. And this was the only solution she could think of. Never lost her principles, even till the very end.

By the way, Byakuya saying 'please' was rather unexpected.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

FPzero posted:

: Makoto! The dawn of a new era draws near!

A shining new era is tiptoeing nearer.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

rip, gg.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Imagination or not, the outcomes of this trial makes me think that the mastermind was never planning to play fair. If the game had allowed you to make the wrong choice in an earlier trial, Monokuma would've executed whoever was chosen, somehow would've silenced the actual killer, and let the trials go on.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

I'm just gonna leave a picture here from a very early update.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

drat, for some of those Hangman's Gambits the solution is obvious from the start. For others, such as this "REPLACED" one, I just didn't see it while watching the video. I mean, I knew what Makoto was trying to say, but there's so many words to indicate someone switched identities.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

I personally like to believe that before, everyone but the mastermind was a decent kid, who fit right in. Look at how much fun they were all having in the old school photos.

It's just that the mastermind's memory wipe turned them all ~anime~.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I really do wonder how Junko fit that mask over her hair.

Her haircut seems to be about as stable as her personality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Yes, it is cheesy. And yes, Junko is still insane. And no, nothing of this story makes sense.

But this last trial is just so incredibly... satisfying.

Virtue posted:

What? Is that it? They don't go outside?

It isn't ... quite over yet. I mean, have you seen any credits?

Oh, by the way, there's a fun fact we can talk about now.

- Hiro predicted that his and Makoto's kids will have the same mother. This is true... for the bad ending after chapter 5. Hina is the mother.
- At the beginning of chapter 4, Hiro predicted that there would be no more murders. Well, who died since then? Sakura, but she wasn't murdered, she committed suicide. Alter-ego in the punishment, but we know from her saving Makoto later on that he didn't die. In chapter 5, Mukuro was already dead, and Makoto survived the execution. And in the final chapter, Junko died, but that was once again a suicide.

Hiro is truly a clairvoyant, but it doesn't become obvious until you think about it later on.

Carbon dioxide fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Sep 1, 2016

• Locked thread