Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.

GNU Order posted:

On the topic of murder + telling good blood bowl stories, some of the most fun I've ever had playing a video game was running a cheated, farmed up minmaxed hypermurder clawpomb Chaos squad against clueless pubbbies.

I ended a game with 13 CASes and a KO scored against a 14 man halfling team. I almost felt bad. Almost.

You can't post that without including a link to the video of said game. Such a good game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Gaghskull posted:

Okay, this explains a lot. You are a terrible coach at elves and skaven. Like others have said, an elf team (maybe dark elves) does not and should not get into a punching battle with other teams. Mostly because you will lose them. Standard elf/rat play is to grab the ball, take it somewhere safe, then wait until you can cross the entire pitch in one turn through passing/gunner bullshit. Linemen aren't there to punch, they're there to keep more valuable players from getting blitzed.

If you should suddenly find yourself winning a CAS battle with another team, then gently caress it, punch 'em all day long while Nuffle favors you. But punching is not the first choice with these teams.

I'm not punching with elves- I mean, the end of a non-scoring turn is everyone dodging out of TZs- you don't generally need to cage unless you want to be forward enough that they might break through one of the screeners and run a guy in to put TZs on the ball carrier.

It's still a dumb rear end sport with enough guys to cover the field with TZs and absolutely no requirement to do anything with the ball in order to maintain posession, which makes it remind me of pre-shot clock basketball- a keepaway offense once you got the lead.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Seems Horns are bugged in Blood Bowl 2. I was messing around against the AI, and it kept getting the +1 strength on blitzes even without moving one square before the block.

E: and on blitzes made while getting up.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

Huzzah! posted:

You can't post that without including a link to the video of said game. Such a good game.

Yeah way to cheat... at an online video game and then playing against someone. You are pretty cool.

cKnoor
Nov 2, 2000

I built this thumb out of two nails, a broken bottle and some razorwire.
Slippery Tilde

Der Shovel posted:

Seems Horns are bugged in Blood Bowl 2. I was messing around against the AI, and it kept getting the +1 strength on blitzes even without moving one square before the block.

E: and on blitzes made while getting up.

You no longer need the 1 square of movement for horns to work.

Also, please do not foul with your pro elves. It makes me sad. :(

Gaghskull
Dec 25, 2010

Bearforce1

Boys! Boys! Boys!

Panzeh posted:

I'm not punching with elves- I mean, the end of a non-scoring turn is everyone dodging out of TZs- you don't generally need to cage unless you want to be forward enough that they might break through one of the screeners and run a guy in to put TZs on the ball carrier.

It's still a dumb rear end sport with enough guys to cover the field with TZs and absolutely no requirement to do anything with the ball in order to maintain posession, which makes it remind me of pre-shot clock basketball- a keepaway offense once you got the lead.

There are plenty of things an opponent can do to keep up pressure on you to move or score. It can be as simple as just moving on up into base contact with the elves. Maybe they just send a couple of blitzers to go make your ball carrier move. Or they can just start fouling and killing elves to make you do something. There are always options.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

GNU Order posted:

On the topic of murder + telling good blood bowl stories, some of the most fun I've ever had playing a video game was running a cheated, farmed up minmaxed hypermurder clawpomb Chaos squad against clueless pubbbies.

I ended a game with 13 CASes and a KO scored against a 14 man halfling team. I almost felt bad. Almost.

Wow real cool... cheating. You must be real popular with the ladies.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN
I don't see the appeal either but it's not really cheating. Heck, I volunteered my Zons to play that team. Using farmed teams in Auld isn't really cheating because Auld accepts farmed teams and allows direct challenges.

If you want to play non-cheater teams, spin Nagg. Or one of the supervised private leagues like Forum Open League or Mister Hadwick (though I have no idea how active either of those are with BB2's pre-release ongoing.)

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

The ladies love my resourcefulness and the fact that I didn't spend 200 hours poopsocking a team meant for brainless murder

How have Brettonians been faring? The roster looks like they're meant to play like lovely discount Amazons. Having 4 players who start with Wrestle is cool and all but the stats across the team are uninspiring and the Wrestle units are the ones with Strength access so presumably you want them standing upright.

Reading some of the design concepts and playstyles, a lot of people seem to note that the team plays a ground running style but are not very strong so they don't hold up well against a 2-1 grindy bash team, which leaves them a bit in limbo. Wrestle on all your players makes it even easier for elves to clear tackle zones to run through, as well. Nothing wrong with adding a team which isn't amazing, or even necessarily good, but why make a new race when you have 20+ to choose from already? The bad teams in the game are at least entertaining, Brets just look tedious. Pretty unexciting skill access across the board as well.

e- Oh looks like you can't play them yet

GNU Order fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Sep 17, 2015

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
What is a good site for team guides and strats?

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

Raged posted:

What is a good site for team guides and strats?

https://fumbbl.com/help:LRB6RaceStrategy

and

http://bbtactics.com/

are my favorites

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Are you going to be doing LPs on BloodBowl 2 when it comes out are you taking a break after PRO ELVES BEST ELVES?

Steve Holt!
Aug 28, 2006

STEVE HOLT!

College Slice
I went and bought Blood Bowl 2 anyway because I loving hate myself.

Also I didn't see anyone post the song yet so here it is: http://tindeck.com/listen/jvdn

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Does BB2 still have announcers? If so can they say spiral correctly?

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
Same announcers, and they have a physical presence on the start screen, which is kind of neat. Haven't noticed them saying spiral yet.

They're pretty good about commentating on positioning and such, which is helpful if you have no idea what's going on, and slightly annoying if you do.

The only offensively bad line I've heard so far is a loving awful HBO pun leading into a Game of Thrones reference that falls completely flat. The delivery is a war crime.

The Hman
Jan 6, 2015
I play a dwarf team and roll double defender downs every time and when i don't roll those i roll both down and stay up.

This is not a joke.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

The Hman posted:

I play a dwarf team and roll double defender downs every time and when i don't roll those i roll both down and stay up.

This is not a joke.

Good. :colbert:

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

Count Bleck posted:

Are you going to be doing LPs on BloodBowl 2 when it comes out are you taking a break after PRO ELVES BEST ELVES?

Nope, I'll let somebody else do the LP thing after I'm done

GNU Order fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Sep 17, 2015

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Oh god a yes/no answer to an either/or question :psyduck:

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

GNU Order posted:

Nope, I'll let somebody else do the LP thing after I'm done

....I'm almost certainly taking up the mantle as long as I can find a co-pilot willing to tolerate me for more than an hour a week.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

cKnoor posted:

You no longer need the 1 square of movement for horns to work.

Feh, and I went and even checked the latest living rulebook version I could find to make sure the rule hadn't changed since I last played.

Oh well!

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

In an odd case of game play reflected in skill ups, my Rat Ogre caught a touchdown pass in my last game and rolled +1 AG for his skill up. I took it, because Nuffle Smiles on the Fun Haver.

The back story is that my Gutter Runner who was in position got badly hurt, so I lobbed it to the nearest player who was my Rat Ogre. He deftly caught the ball, blitzed the jackass who hurt my Gunner, and ran in the TD.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer
So in a fit of rage, I rolled up a human team with the sole purpose of fouling and injuring high TV teams. No plan for winning, just fouling and injuring as much as possible.

All 6 linemen have dirty player.
4 blitzers have nothing.
The ogre's just there for MB.
I usually hire Morg'n'Thorg.

It was going well. Until a Rat team.

I had a wizard this time. He had 2 throwers, 2 linemen, a gutter, and a stormvermin within fireball radius.

I only BH one. Followup foul on gutter. Stunned. Sent off.

Next turn foul. Stunned. Sent off.

The rats proceed to wreck my poo poo, getting 2 KO's, and 5 injures including 2 MNG and 2 AV/AG stat injuries.

Nuffle was tired of my poo poo.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Many of the players I've been seeing on streams have been pretty egregiously bad, even by my dim standards, which makes the game tempting to pick up just to go on a murderspree, but aha I'm not giving a poo poo developer $40 for 8 teams.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Pick up the ball first, run him where you want, set players up kind of where they can react to incoming enemies and run up to them! RIGHT!?

Yeah, the amount of times I'll watch someone play and not give ANY thought to the order of which they do things or the risk each thing poses as a turn over or even to the idea of what a TZ is makes me feel INFINITELY better in how horrible I am at the game. I'm bad, I'm not THAT bad.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Yeah, the amount of times I'll watch someone play and not give ANY thought to the order of which they do things or the risk each thing poses as a turn over or even to the idea of what a TZ is makes me feel INFINITELY better in how horrible I am at the game. I'm bad, I'm not THAT bad.

I've had numerous games where dudes will just completely space out on standing up players, covering the ball or anything. One die block with no rerolls and no skills? gently caress EVERYTHING ELSE, I'M GONNA START MY TURN ON THAT!

Enjoy these, our salad days.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Also, having bought two out of the FOUR releases of the first game at full price (I STILL don't own CE out of spite) I'm waiting for solid details on pricing before even giving BB2 the time of day. The rerelease/pricing shenanigans for the first game almost guaranteed I'll never buy another Cyanide game...

bisonbison
Jul 18, 2002

On Fumbbl, is there a key for "Cycle through players with available actions"?

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer

Voyager I posted:

Many of the players I've been seeing on streams have been pretty egregiously bad, even by my dim standards, which makes the game tempting to pick up just to go on a murderspree, but aha I'm not giving a poo poo developer $40 for 8 teams.

I need to figure out a private stream so you can teach me the ways to, y'know, play competently.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

Bootcha posted:

I need to figure out a private stream so you can teach me the ways to, y'know, play competently.

Cknoor is a really good player, so watch him play and get a good handle for how the game works and the kinds of formations you should use.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
< Not Pictured: Good Blood Bowl Player.

I can recognize people making really obvious mechanical mistakes like first-action hot plays or not understanding assist mechanics but I my understanding of the game is nowhere near as nuanced as the people who have been playing it for more than two months.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"
I think the main tricks advanced players use involve getting a lot of mileage from blitzes, and maneuvering your formation so that you can hit them more than they hit you, and get better assists by freeing other players when needed.

Beginners or even intermediate players just use a free player to blitz and try to hit somewhere that makes a good impact, and that's fine when necessary but you can declare a blitz at the very start of your move too and then run free, or you can make your hit and then relocate to a better position elsewhere, which is the real strength of using a blitz. Getting an extra block that you would not have gotten normally is good, but getting a block and a free assist is even better.

Order of operation is also extremely important, always do the easiest things first and the hardest things last, and just automatically assume you are going to fail key actions and put your board position in place to defend when that action does eventually fail.

Also big guys are worse than even the worst linemen, even a troll is worse on the field and will hurt you more than just taking another orc lineman would, and elite non funhavers never take big guys. Even the rat ogre is a major liability compared to having another skaven lineman instead, much less a lineman with block or wrestle. This changes a little bit if you are in a tournament setting where you won't be facing equal TV teams all the time, and then in some circumstances the huge TV bloat won't hurt you. But if that rat ogre is giving every opponent a free wizard you would really be better off without it.

Washout fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Sep 19, 2015

Gamesguy
Sep 7, 2010

Is there going to be a goon league for BB2?

Steve Holt!
Aug 28, 2006

STEVE HOLT!

College Slice
The AI seems a bit better but still pretty dumb. Some highlights of Skaven vs a Hard AI Orc team:
  • Using 6 guys to mark 2 downed linemen who were nowhere near the ball
  • Using a black orc to blitz and hit someone he was standing next to, then not moving (and he got a pow)
  • 2DB blitz with no block against a guy with block as the first action for no good reason
  • Using a blitz to hit a guy when there was already someone else next to them who could have blocked (again for no reason I could see)
  • Not getting the ball carrier into a scoring position on turn 15 even though there was space and MA spare
  • Generally ignoring the fact that it's the last turn or close to the last turn

Steve Holt! fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Sep 19, 2015

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Does anyone know how well BB2 plays with a controller? That is maybe the one thing that tempts me about the new game is the idea of playing it on the couch (using PC with a wireless controller, not a console)

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Out of the houses, which is the most blue?

The answer might not be be obvious at first.

Gravy Boat 2k

Drone posted:

Does anyone know how well BB2 plays with a controller? That is maybe the one thing that tempts me about the new game is the idea of playing it on the couch (using PC with a wireless controller, not a console)

I like the way that it plays with a controller, it is nearly as good as XCOM's controller option. I'm using it as my main input device, even though I am not, in fact, playing from a couch or with a wireless controller even.

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
How am I supposed to whine in chat with a gamepad?

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Out of the houses, which is the most blue?

The answer might not be be obvious at first.

Gravy Boat 2k

Wooper posted:

How am I supposed to whine in chat with a gamepad?

You know, it's weird, as far as I can tell there isn't a way to type with the gamepad, but down on the d-pad does open up the window for you to type into chat. Maybe I just didn't try hard enough looking for a way to type with the pad though.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Has anyone tried Blood Bowl 2 yet? Is it playable or did Cyanide gently caress up again?

Jack Trades fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Sep 19, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

Jack Trades posted:

Has anyone tried Blood Bowl 2 yet? Is it playable or did Cyanide gently caress up again?

It's in beta but seems legit to me. There are some quality of life changes they need to add. My biggest complaint is the camera constantly moving to highlight whatever player your opponent selects, that poo poo needs to go. That said, they have plenty of time to adjust some of this poo poo because Beta.

Alas add pass block God drat it.

• Locked thread