Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

Jack Trades posted:

Has anyone tried Blood Bowl 2 yet? Is it playable or did Cyanide gently caress up again?

It's the same poo poo, cyanide has a proven track record of being unable to improve.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I remember a game of blood bowl where it randomly gave a league opponent an extra man on the field but I managed to tie the game anyway.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Jack Trades posted:

Has anyone tried Blood Bowl 2 yet? Is it playable or did Cyanide gently caress up again?
It's very playable but has some kinda-annoying UI changes from BB1.

The main improvements:

- You can see how far your kick can potentially scatter, in case you didn't know that already (sorta handy)
- You can see negative tackle zones and strength for blocks very easily
- I assume it'll have a slightly larger playerbase because I believe (although could be wrong) that it's going to sync up between platforms
- You can elect not to use Dodge in the wide zones very easily (before, you needed to have block or a similar skill that would let you pick skills to use at the end of a block roll)

The main things that gently caress me off with it:

- Unit abilities are harder to 'read' at least for now, because the text list has been changed to icons (probably one of those things we'll get used to)
- Nearly everything is animated, which is sort of cool in theory but in practice drags simple actions out, including setting up players
- UI is maybe a bit too slick?
- Unless something changed in the big patch we got yesterday, you can't select skills to ask automatically (although you often get to choose whether to use them on related rolls).

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

jBrereton posted:

- I assume it'll have a slightly larger playerbase because I believe (although could be wrong) that it's going to sync up between platforms

I think this was something that they've said isn't going to happen.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

Drone posted:

I think this was something that they've said isn't going to happen.

That's just sad. If Rocket League can pull it off with PC & PS4 then it can be done here. If Microsoft says no then just let them play with themselves.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

Raged posted:

That's just sad. If Rocket League can pull it off with PC & PS4 then it can be done here. If Microsoft says no then just let them play with themselves.

No kidding, this is the biggest missed opportunity of the entire game, but I doubt it would increase sales much, which is probably why they are not doing it.

iSurrender
Aug 25, 2005
Now with 22% more apathy!

Yorkshire Tea posted:

That makes no sense...

As an elf your pieces value at about 20-30k higher than opposing pieces. So let's do some maths. When you foul there's a 1/6 chance that you lose a piece worth an outlay of let's say 70k in a decently levelled game. There's a 5/6 chance this doesn't happen.

Against an average AV of 8 (the AV of non-elf teams that are worth a drat) and no assists you're rolling 2d6 to break armour and need a 9. That's a 27.77% chance to break armour. We'll round it to 25% for ease of calculation.

After that you roll injury, you need a 7 or more to take someone out the game, which is a 58% chance, we'll call it 60% for ease.

So when you foul against AV 8 there's a (0.25*0.6) 15% chance that a piece worth, let's say 60k gets removed from the field. There's a 16.7% chance (1/6) that you lose a player that's worth more than the player you're fouling.

You can improve the odds by bringing in assists on the foul but then you're positioning elves next to a player to attempt an injury roll that grants no SPP and you're elves so you're almost certainly fighting at a manpower disadvantage.

tldr: DO NOT FOUL AS ELVES.

1) Why are you fouling an enemy piece worth 60k, foul a star if you're gonna foul at all

2) If you break armor the odds of getting sent off on a foul are 11/36

iSurrender
Aug 25, 2005

GNU Order posted:

The ladies love my resourcefulness and the fact that I didn't spend 200 hours poopsocking a team meant for brainless murder

How have Brettonians been faring? The roster looks like they're meant to play like lovely discount Amazons. Having 4 players who start with Wrestle is cool and all but the stats across the team are uninspiring and the Wrestle units are the ones with Strength access so presumably you want them standing upright.

Reading some of the design concepts and playstyles, a lot of people seem to note that the team plays a ground running style but are not very strong so they don't hold up well against a 2-1 grindy bash team, which leaves them a bit in limbo. Wrestle on all your players makes it even easier for elves to clear tackle zones to run through, as well. Nothing wrong with adding a team which isn't amazing, or even necessarily good, but why make a new race when you have 20+ to choose from already? The bad teams in the game are at least entertaining, Brets just look tedious. Pretty unexciting skill access across the board as well.

e- Oh looks like you can't play them yet

Murderchaos can suck it

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Rygar201 posted:

That said, they have plenty of time to adjust some of this poo poo because Beta.

I thought the game was being released next week.

Patch notes say they will move the END TURN button, which is currently on the field and overlooks you clicking on the pitch. Not much else beyond that, so expect Cyandide to stuff up other things.

It is a lot nicer to watch, and you can watch live games at any time.

I expect the DLC teams will be overpriced and take 2-3 years to complete the roster...just in time for BB3 to come out.

You can upgrade your stadium for 100K, and if you do it a 2nd time, you can add astrogranite to cause +1 armour breaks on GFI. Take that gutterrunners! Or add a -1 if you're playing AS Skaven. Or give both teams a wizard. Or some other, more minor effects.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

What about removing the loving goalposts that have literally no context in the game whatsoever and block the camera for no reason? It's painfully obvious that they make the game according to the rules and literally none of them know how to play it.

Stagger_Lee
Mar 25, 2009

Washout posted:

What about removing the loving goalposts that have literally no context in the game whatsoever and block the camera for no reason? It's painfully obvious that they make the game according to the rules and literally none of them know how to play it.

Cyanide's been reading this thread and just assumed that we love posts that suck.

iSurrender
Aug 25, 2005

Stagger_Lee posted:

Cyanide's been reading this thread and just assumed that we love posts that suck.

:boom:

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

So I just spent a couple hours with BB2. Relative newbie perspective incoming:

The game is very smooth to play, I think, particularly on a controller. There are some small niggling points (not being able to queue up moves as easily as in BB:CE), but FUMBBL has some similar eccentricities there too. The cutscenes are cool, but they definitely need to have an option where they only play during TD's and injuries.

They've changed the cost of some players, and I'm not really sure why. You can't do the standard fresh setup of an Orc team anymore because Black Orcs are now more expensive (meaning you can only get 2 rerolls instead of 3 if you go for the 4 BOB/4 blitz/2 lino/1 thrower combination). I don't know if this is because some specific and well-informed thought went into it, or it was just "let's change poo poo that ain't broken". More experienced players could probably answer that.

The UI is really smooth, but I agree with what some others have said in that it may almost be -too- smooth. The optimist in me says that at least it feels like BB2 will see some sort of continuous dev cycle outside of "pump out DLC and that's it", but the realist in me knows that Cyanide is a poo poo company and this won't happen.

The Cabal TV feature is really nice, being able to save and review your previous games, as well as viewing other current live games that are happening, and apparently the top 5 most popular games are marked for you to see (though I didn't find this?). Replays of strategy games are pretty much a must these days, and it's a quality-of-life feature that I think is really nice, and the way they've packaged it is pleasing as well.

I played 3 games in the official NAF league with my Orc team. The first game, I got a TD and was about to score a second when my opponent conceded (he had taken 3 permanent injuries to different players in the first half alone, so he was probably raging pretty bad). The second game, the opponent went AFK during coin toss. The timer ran out, and then nothing happened... I let it sit for a few minutes and still nothing happened, so I just conceded because gently caress that, all I lost was a fan factor point for it anyway. My third game was actually really fun despite losing 3-0 to Skaven. The first half was really tense and I was quite close to scoring a couple times, and we ended it 0-0. The second half... well, not my proudest moment. But my opponent was communicative, friendly, and helpful, which I thought was pretty magnanimous. He pointed out a mistake that I made in my roster (don't ask why I put +1 AG on a BOB...) and offered me some general pointers, and showed me just how much of a threat a super fast team like Skaven can be. He had a pretty sick two-turn TD by running the ball from one end of the pitch to the other, passing it between 3 of his dudes who were already pre-positioned. His rat ogre was pretty much useless the entire game, I think only 2 or 3 rounds he was actually able to succeed a Wild Animal roll.

I don't know what sponsorships do, or if they're just cosmetic. Similarly I don't know that the stadium upgrade rules are A Thing in Blood Bowl or if Cyanide just kinda made them up for this game, so I have neither positive or negative things to say about it.

Someone else mentioned that it's annoying that the player cards only display icons for their skills and not the names of them written out. While annoying, I also think this is just something we'll have to get used to. I don't necessarily see it as a bad thing, just something different and new and therefore scary and evil.

I don't know how robust the game is with managing a league. Some goon will have to figure that out when a goon league actually gets set up and starts running. I hope it's decent at least... the NAF League that I've got my Orcs in is basically just used as a matchmaking queue (which, by the way, only takes a few seconds to get a game, and I'm playing in a non-peak time zone).

Overall I'm happy I bought it, but very cautious about how it's going to look in the future. If Cyanide makes a few tweaks, I think it's an improvement over BB:CE. I still haven't tried out the AI... someone on Reddit was saying they've noticed an improvement, but it's still not good. I'm also really skeptical about the DLC model... it could work well, or it could not, it all depends on their pricing and release schedule. If they roll out the teams at a decent clip and at a decent price point, I think it'll work out fine. I'm not as hot on the idea of selling teams as packages (so like, pay $15 and get 3 teams, of which you may only want one), so my best-case scenario is individual team DLC's for $5 a pop. We'll find out on Tuesday though.

Drone fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Sep 20, 2015

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Comstar posted:

I thought the game was being released next week.

Yeah, it's launching in two (2) days.

Plus, anyone expecting drastic improvements or changes clearly hasn't dealt with Cyanide before. This is pretty much what we'll get. Any major overhauls will be in the form of Blood Bowl 2: Now You're Paying Us Again Edition.

Drone posted:

The timer ran out, and then nothing happened... I let it sit for a few minutes and still nothing happened, so I just conceded because gently caress that, all I lost was a fan factor point for it anyway.

This has happened to me a couple of times as well versus the AI. It's infuriating, especially since the game doesn't support any kind of resuming.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Sep 20, 2015

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
I refuse to believe that they have actually changed the cost of any players on the orc team.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
The GW team who made bloodbowl is in contact with the cyanide people so if ballance changes have been made its probably because of them. Black orc is one of those positionals that are insanely well priced so its not really suprising theyd get a nerf.

jneer
Aug 31, 2006

Mush Mushi!
I believe the cost of Orc Blitzers has increased, not Black Orcs. Still has the same effect of limiting Orcs to 2 rather than 3RR with the standard team.

Also, if we're going to find things to complain about, can the "UI being too slick" not be one of them? I mean the aesthetics(both UI and visuals) are the only reason to buy this game.

Steve Holt!
Aug 28, 2006

STEVE HOLT!

College Slice

Der Shovel posted:

This has happened to me a couple of times as well versus the AI. It's infuriating, especially since the game doesn't support any kind of resuming.

My internet cut out for a few seconds and the game was able to reconnect me, so it does almost support resuming. It might be similar to BB1 where if you start the game right away after crashing it tries to reconnect.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Steve Holt! posted:

My internet cut out for a few seconds and the game was able to reconnect me, so it does almost support resuming. It might be similar to BB1 where if you start the game right away after crashing it tries to reconnect.

For goodness sake, that was one of the biggest complains about Cyanide, and it's unresolved. "Pay 40 bux for the game you can already play with 1/3 the teams and basically no meaningful improvements where your league can still be torpedoed by a bug."

Any confirmation if the Wizard Bug is still in there? I wouldn't put it past them at this point.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
Technical problems aside, I don't know what Cyanid did in the past to make you this suspicious of BB2. I've played a lot this week, and it's been a largely fine and a fun time.

I look forward to the elf bullshit teams that we'll get next week, and I hope Gnu picks it up because his BB1 Lets Plays are awesome.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Donnerberg posted:

Technical problems aside, I don't know what Cyanid did in the past to make you this suspicious of BB2. I've played a lot this week, and it's been a largely fine and a fun time.

Four full price releases of Blood Bowl for DLC content added.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
Okay, that's a lovely thing to do. Pretty much the Madden business model then.

It looks like we'll be able to cherry pick the DLC this time around, judging by how the pre-order offer is Wood Elves or Lizards. That's probably a good thing, right? It should be cheaper unless you want to buy every team.

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Sep 20, 2015

bisonbison
Jul 18, 2002

Really enjoying getting back into fumbbl after a few years away. I wish it was easier to launch blackbox teams, though. Half the time I queue and don't get matched, even with an even coach count.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Four full price releases of Blood Bowl for DLC content added.

they werent full price if you bought the previous one though. i think chaos edition was 9 euros on release if you owned the previous editions?

boatiemathmo
Dec 12, 2004
It was - and what was very strange was that it stayed at the discounted price until you bought a copy for yourself. So when CE came out I bought it for the discounted price for several of my friends before buying my copy. Odd, but handy at the time.

I am certainly in the minority here, but I'd love to know how the singleplayer works out. Much as the real BB fun is in multiplayer, I find that it's often painfully slow watching a human opponent slowly stand up his guys one by one and plan his move. Playing a singleplayer campaign in the original kept games down to about half an hour, which suits me quite well at the end of a day.

Has anyone tried the SP campaign yet? The previous game was a bit weird, in that you didn't really face too many different levels of opponent. Even in the beginner tournament you'd come up again 1400 TV teams (when you'd expect it to be bracketed for 800-1200 or so, given that your team was brand new), and by the end I typically had a TV around 500 or so higher than all the AI teams, which was a bit disappointing. It'd be nice if the top AI teams were very highly skilled to give something of a late game challenge, especially given how bad they are at using inducements.

No amount of skills will necessary make the AI actually decent, I grant you, but having them also run uphill in terms of player base just seems cruel.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

boatiemathmo posted:

I am certainly in the minority here, but I'd love to know how the singleplayer works out. Much as the real BB fun is in multiplayer, I find that it's often painfully slow watching a human opponent slowly stand up his guys one by one and plan his move. Playing a singleplayer campaign in the original kept games down to about half an hour, which suits me quite well at the end of a day.

If you want faster games (against human beings at least), play FUMBBL. Without all the flourish and flummery, it is so much faster it is not even funny.

Rogue
May 11, 2002

Magnetic North posted:

If you want faster games (against human beings at least), play FUMBBL. Without all the flourish and flummery, it is so much faster it is not even funny.

Yup. I'm just getting back into things and trying fumbbl after doing cyanide only back years ago and I really like it. Games seem to go about 40-45 minutes on average, sometimes faster, and all of my opponents have been pleasant, with no rage quits even if I'm totally dicing them.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

There's no way to FUMBBL on a tablet is there?

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

Rogue posted:

Yup. I'm just getting back into things and trying fumbbl after doing cyanide only back years ago and I really like it. Games seem to go about 40-45 minutes on average, sometimes faster, and all of my opponents have been pleasant, with no rage quits even if I'm totally dicing them.

That's because you'll get banned if you rage quit unless you mutually quit, even if you are being diced. But real coaches learn that skipping on that +5 for mvp and other assorted xp is bad for your team.

Because when you rage quit it leaves that game open and locks both teams, you have to get a mod to come in and force a concession.

Washout fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Sep 21, 2015

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
I own Legendary and Dark Elves (DE not through Steam mind you) and Chaos Edition is STILL $30 for me. I just checked the Steam page to see if I was crazy and it's $29.99...

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

I own Legendary and Dark Elves (DE not through Steam mind you) and Chaos Edition is STILL $30 for me. I just checked the Steam page to see if I was crazy and it's $29.99...

You have to register everything in steam, all your old license keys and stuff. I had to have steam support do it when I bought it back then.

Box wine
Apr 6, 2005

ah crap
You can just add your keys to steam unless that got removed at some point.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
I'm saying I own LE on Steam. Not even added through a key, I bought it through Steam itself.

Rogue
May 11, 2002

Is there any way to download/parse a fumbbl match and run it through a variance calculator to see how bad your dice really were? Some games just feel like you can't get anything done, I guess I'd like to know if I'm making mistakes or just getting unlucky.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

boatiemathmo posted:

Has anyone tried the SP campaign yet?

Barring streamers and their special copies, the SP campaign isn't available yet. On the other hand, game comes out tomorrow (err, by which I mean Tuesday) so we'll see.

I'm actually kind of hyped even though I bought LE and CE already: I think from a newbie perspective there are genuine improvements over BB1 as to how easy the game is to control and how pleasant it is to play (It may help that I'm using an Xbox controller on my PC so I don't run into, say, the mistaken end-turn issue) that mean that I might actually put some hours in. I didn't play enough BB1 to really get the Cyanide rage that the vets ITT have, and I bounced right off FUMBBL so MP here might be a happy medium filled with players just as bad as I am.

Since I'm an unrepentant elfbowler the initial team selection works for me (and given the way they're doing preorder bonuses I can HOPE that they'll stick to adding the remaining races in patches and DLC rather than redoing BB1's release cycle all over again, because that's both a better AND more profitable way to do it.)

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Sep 21, 2015

Rogue
May 11, 2002

Also, :lol: (my opponent's dice actually, this time!)

Half 1 Turn 2

code:
Micheal starts a Block Action.
Dauntless Roll [ 1 ]
Micheal fails to push his strength.
Micheal blocks Shoulder Press:
Block Roll [ SKULL ]
Re-Roll using TEAM REROLL
Micheal blocks Shoulder Press:
Block Roll [ SKULL ]
Block Result [ SKULL ]
Armour Roll [ 4 ][ 4 ]
Rolled Total of 8
The armour of Micheal has been broken.
Injury Roll [ 6 ][ 5 ]
Rolled Total of 11
Micheal suffers a casualty.
Casualty Roll [ 6 ][ 8 ]
Micheal has been killed.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Rygar201 posted:

There's no way to FUMBBL on a tablet is there?

I've been looking into this since first starting on FUMBBL a week ago and, unfortunately, no. Maybe if your tablet is running Windows, like a Surface or something.

I really like FUMBBL a whole lot, but drat if I feel like normal ranked play punishes those who haven't been minmaxing the game for a decade. It makes being new to the game slightly unpleasant. But that's probably different in a private league.

To be fair though, everyone I've played on FUMBBL has also been very nice and helpful when I tell them I'm just learning the game.

Are there any running goon leagues in FUMBBL, or just the current competition in CE? Or is anyone planning on starting one in BB2 to test it out?

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

My first ever BB2 game and of course I get a game against a dwarf. My ogre immediately kills 2.

Steve Holt!
Aug 28, 2006

STEVE HOLT!

College Slice

Rogue posted:

Is there any way to download/parse a fumbbl match and run it through a variance calculator to see how bad your dice really were? Some games just feel like you can't get anything done, I guess I'd like to know if I'm making mistakes or just getting unlucky.

Don't know about fumbbl but there is/was a really bad windows app that could do it for BB1, so I took a quick look at what might be possible in BB2. Looks like the replay files are just zipped up XML files with all the data in it, so it should be pretty easy to extract stats out of them. The files are in C:\Users\<username>\Documents\BloodBowl2\Profiles\<coach name>\Replays and you just need to extract the bbrz files (I used 7-zip). I'll probably try to do something with it this weekend if no-one else has.

Edit: Actually I'm not going to post any of the XML in case Cyanide put in some credentials in plain text.

Steve Holt! fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Sep 21, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rogue
May 11, 2002

Drone posted:

I really like FUMBBL a whole lot, but drat if I feel like normal ranked play punishes those who haven't been minmaxing the game for a decade. It makes being new to the game slightly unpleasant. But that's probably different in a private league.

Someone told me about the 145 league on fumbbl which is designed for new players - check that out.

• Locked thread