Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
I was gonna make an effort post, but eh. Suffice it to say: I won't be buying it at launch. I will wait to find out how much they expect to charge for teams. If it is $10, I will not buy the game simply on principle, even though my favorite team is already in it. If it is $5, then I will probably pick the game up on a sale at some point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Blackmage Yapo posted:

I'm sure by the next summer sale they'll have the game with all the DLCs for like $15.

Yeah, all one team they release by then. But, hey, at least then we'll have three different versions of loving elves, not including short hairy rat elves.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Funso Banjo posted:

Well, we're already talking about moving our SA tournaments over to BB2. I imagine BB1 will get pretty dead eventually.

The question isn't if people will move to BB2; they will eventually, given enough time (like, multiple years). The question is if enough people will hold out on BB2 long enough to make it untenable for the publisher so that the money dries up and we end up with half a game. I certainly hope that doesn't happen, but then again, if Cyanide and Focus weren't so poo poo, then all our doubts wouldn't be so reasonable.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Washout posted:

OKAY EVERYONE TELL THEIR FAVORITE FUMBBL STORIES!!

My favorite was when I tried to play a GFL tourney game by accident during some sort of maintenance. Rather than just say, "Sorry, can do that", it caused the game to drop off into the twelfth dimension and did not allow it to be played when the maintenance was over. We eventually had to be kicked from the tourney, play it as a pick up game, then get readmitted and adjust the records manually.

Washout posted:

in fumbbl there are literally no bugs,

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Wooper posted:

Fumbbl has like three bugs and they are all obscure and in the previous post.

Isn't Ball and Chain broken? Or did that finally get fixed?

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Steve Holt! posted:

My internet cut out for a few seconds and the game was able to reconnect me, so it does almost support resuming. It might be similar to BB1 where if you start the game right away after crashing it tries to reconnect.

For goodness sake, that was one of the biggest complains about Cyanide, and it's unresolved. "Pay 40 bux for the game you can already play with 1/3 the teams and basically no meaningful improvements where your league can still be torpedoed by a bug."

Any confirmation if the Wizard Bug is still in there? I wouldn't put it past them at this point.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

boatiemathmo posted:

I am certainly in the minority here, but I'd love to know how the singleplayer works out. Much as the real BB fun is in multiplayer, I find that it's often painfully slow watching a human opponent slowly stand up his guys one by one and plan his move. Playing a singleplayer campaign in the original kept games down to about half an hour, which suits me quite well at the end of a day.

If you want faster games (against human beings at least), play FUMBBL. Without all the flourish and flummery, it is so much faster it is not even funny.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Morbidmind posted:

BB2 is supposed to have buyable character cosmetics using those Cyan's you've been getting. Apparently we're going to be able to purchase them for real bucks to buy our equipment with or earn them in matches. BS either way, as I'm wondering if gear will be player specific, so lose the player lose the gear?

If this comes to fruition, they'll be doing the same thing that people crucify big publishers for; sticking microtransactions into non-free games. I've said this wouldnt be a problem if the game was budget priced, and while $45 is not $60, it is still hardly a budget product. Of course, it sure looks like a budget product what with the missing features and omitted teams and user experience designed by space aliens who apparently never played a game.

If you haven't bought in yet, maybe give this a pass for a week or two to see if they fix what they say they will. We had big bugs in the last editions, and we got a patch once a year if we were lucky. If we weren't, we got a new edition to buy instead.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Various Horror Stories posted:

:gonk:

Magnetic North posted:

If you haven't bought in yet, maybe give this a pass for a week or two to see if they fix what they say they will. We had big bugs in the last editions, and we got a patch once a year if we were lucky. If we weren't, we got a new edition to buy instead.

That, or something like it, should probably be in the OP.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Victor Vermis posted:

That's dumb. I assume leagues can choose to only allow new teams and/or review applicant teams before accepting them so that seems like a completely unnecessary move.

The option to play "friendly" matches in which no perms stick (I assume) and no SPP is gained is interesting, though. It allows for resurrection tournaments although book-keeping would need to be done offline and there still isnt an option for skills to be assigned by team owners/league admins and and and...

Way2go Cyanide.

Wow, I hadn't heard this part yet. Holy poo poo, this release is a pile.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Washout posted:

I'm sure there are still easy ways to farm teams, like you could create your own custom league and have two people join then just schedule a bunch of matches or whatever and then drop back in to the open league. All they needed to do to solve the problem was have a public league that was matchmaking only...

Even with Nagg, you could still send your 750 TV teams against each other since no sane person would be spinning at that TV. Still, Nagg was a huge step forward compared to Auld.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Blackmage Yapo posted:

I honestly can't believe people play against the AI in this game. Like last thread we had at least a few people who had never played a single multiplayer game but could beat the AI all the time!

I remember a friend getting in on the beta for the original Cyanide. We played this against the AI a few times before we actually understood the rules. I explicitly remember hoping that the computer would run the ball towards the wrong endzone to cause me to not lose because it happened enough times to become expected. I don't know how AI is actually programmed, and I bet it's hard, but something tells me you can go: if (unit.MA > distanceToGoal && !unit.inTackleZone) then fuckingScore();

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Nasgate posted:

It's kind of insane that you pay minimum 70k for a unit you know will either die or get a crippling injury, and will be lucky to get level two.

Two things:

1: That 70K lino has 4 AG. Dodge away into an unoccupied square on a 2+ (if my rulechecking is right, I don't elf and I normally let the computer do the math). If you want them to live, don't let them block you for free, especially if you don't yet have any defensive skills. Generally, you want your opponents to roll more dice than you because it involves taking risks, but giving away blocks is generally the exception, so long as you remember...

2: Those line elves are there to get their necks broken so that your actual good pieces don't, particularly on the LOS where that type of pain can be difficult to avoid. If your 70k unleveled line elf dies, that is somewhat of a good thing, because it means your +AG Strip Ball Jump Up Wardancer work 200k didn't.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

I know many goons disagree with me, but this is how I think of T16 fouling:

What is generally considered unacceptable behavior for Blood Bowl? Poor sportsmanship (insults, complaining), intentional slow-play, quitting a game, T16 Fouls. I think this can be divided into the two things: things in the rules, and things outside the rules.

There are no rules about complaining about how your opponent is 'flash flash flash' all the time, or regarding talking about your opponent's promiscuous mother. But this is outside of the purview of the rules. The same goes for intentional slow play.

What about quitting when someone kills your favorite precious snowflake or fouls on turn 16? Those are both within the rules of the game, but there is a difference. The concession rules are more a matter of reality, to allow completion if someone should have to leave before a game is done. It's not really in there as a anger outlet valve, but it can be misused in that way, and it's not like you can have no rule for a concession. On the other hand, fouling is also a part of the game. I'm not a BB historian, but I imagine it necessary because otherwise players could leave their valuable pieces laying down on the pitch so they could not be blocked anymore. It also can discourage stalling. Unlike ragequitting, a T16 foul is not an incorrect usage of a necessary part of the game.

Now, don't get me wrong. T16 fouls are a bad idea: they gain you basically nothing. Casualties from fouls grant no SPP. In a normal round-robin tourney, you are weakening an opponent that you will not face again, which makes it easier on your other opponents, who may gain more SPP than they would have before facing you. Unless the opponent is a lock for the playoffs and you are too, the only thing it gets you is a little sick, twisted satisfaction from putting the boot in on Turn 16.

So, where do we draw the line? Well, consider what you could get away with in person. If someone whined the whole game about getting diced, or mocked their opponent non-stop, or intentionally played slow to irritate their opponent, or quit when something went wrong, people might not willingly play with them anymore. It's still prevalent online because that shunning is less of an option there (unless you play in a curated league like MHI or something), since you have a huge pool of random people you won't see again. Also, consider that those behaviors are not specific to Blood Bowl. You can imagine the same thing happening when playing Magic or Bridge or Monopoly.

T16 fouls are different. They are not a matter of bad behavior in the same way. It is a poor tactical choice that can harm your opponent and gains you nothing, but it is allowed in the rules of the game. There are compelling reasons not to do it. It's moderately impolite. But it is just not as bad as people make it out to be. If you want to do it, you should feel free to stomp your little heart out. But be ready for an intensely negative response.

tl;dr T16 fouls now, T16 fouls tomorrow, and T16 fouls forever.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Washout posted:

I love fouling turn 16.

Marry me.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Donnerberg posted:

In all fairness, whoever came up with Blood Bowl had no understanding of how to name poo poo.

Dodge and block are both skills and player verbs. Star players and star player points have no relation. Diving catch is not a dive. The break tackle skill and the tackle skill do not affect each other.

I'm sure there's more if you want to be pedantic about it.

Oh yeah, there's blitzers, but anyone can blitz. :haw:

Counterpoint: The Right Stuff has an awesome name.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

FoolyCharged posted:

But isn't on enough units. Just imagine if wood elf linemen had it, people might actually take the tree!

Because, you know, when I think Wood Elfs, I think "Yeah, that team needs help scoring."

That would still be awesome though :haw:

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

GNU Order posted:

Of course if cyanide's blood bowl 2 was well made you could reconnect to a game that you drop from.

And if my grandmother had wheels, she'd be a deathroller. :(

On a related note, according to the Dice Tower Blood Bowl is getting a new physical edition. I hadn't heard anything about this yet, and it is nowhere to be seen on GW's website or Forge War's website. Still, I found this and this, which were both posted just this weekend.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Mr. Squishy posted:

It's a band.

oh poo poo I need to make Electric Light ORKestra how have I not already made this team

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Victor Vermis posted:

RIP Blood Bowl.

Hey, at least by splitting the player base between CE and BBII, that means 50% of us saved our money for the physical version next year that they'll also screw up.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Victor Vermis posted:

Wake up fuckers, it's a new day.

I dunno, fumbbl's nice and all, but you gotta figure the drought of interest caused by plowing the player base in twain isn't something that's going to be overcome.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

As predicted, Blood Bowl II is on sale.

Magnetic North posted:

Blackmage Yapo posted:

I'm sure by the next summer sale they'll have the game with all the DLCs for like $15.
Yeah, all one team they release by then. But, hey, at least then we'll have three different versions of loving elves, not including short hairy rat elves.

Also, notice that these guys are such greedy bastards that they aren't even putting Norse at 60% off, instead trying to wring an extra $2.10 out of people.

You know, if at least one of you that preordered had instead spent the money on an SA smilie, we could have the :cyanide: equivalent of :pgi: or :soe:. Just saying, might have been a better use of your money.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

I admit, watching 6 hours of world cup finals yesterday almost made me want to buy BB2. But I'm still not going to.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

GNU Order posted:

Or they saw it in some other totally sane implementation in a league system and decided to open palm slam it into the giant open matchmaker

This is almost certainly the explanation. It implies both the thoughtlessness of Cyanide's incompetent history and the self-important meddling that comes from having been selected to make the sequel when you don't realize you sucked the first time.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

For those interested in Tabletop Blood Bowl, it made an appearance at the Essen Speil fair. This site has links to some GW videos about it. In particular, here is direct link to an unboxing video.

:siren:Event Cards Are Back:siren:
The game rules seem to be mostly unchanged, except a new 16-sided die to randomize players for things like Throw A Rock.
Enough dice for both players, and though the block dice have the same symbols but they are set into a circle for whatever reason. Looks very unreadable.
Folding two-sided pitch.
Box set contains Orks and Humans. 2 sprues for each team: 3 Linemen, 1 Blitzer, 1 Thrower, 1 Catcher/Black Ork Blocker.
Cards for each positional with stats on it. (Not sure if this is for each position or each unit?)
If you're not interested in the hobby aspect, you don't have to paint or glue; the minis can fit together and are made with blue and green plastic so they are easily tell them apart.
Game comes with a code for 50% off the BB2 computer game if you have the good sense to have not bought in yet.

There is reference to Skaven, but I don't know anything else to how purchasing other teams will work. Also cannot find any reference to the MSRP.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

The end result is:

You can play Cyanide and people constantly concede to you when their wardancer gets KO'd.
You can play in person and then you will have no more friends, or at least none willing to play.
You can play FUMBBL and then loving kill yourself.

You pays your money and you takes your choice. In any case, you don't get to play Blood Bowl.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

More stuff about Tabletop BB: A video review from the Dice Tower. Note: these guys are board gamers, not BB players, but it also gives you a better look at some of the components.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Washout posted:

That review is pretty bad, they explain the basic rules and then talk about how simple the game is without understanding anything about formations etc.

Yeah. I guess the complexity in BB is a bit more opaque than, say, a normal 3-hour self-contained board game? I guess that can be said about any strategy game, though I think BB makes me think along the lines of abstract strategy games (Go, Chess, Hive, etc) where you don't really understand the game until you've lost at it 50 times.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

I didn't want to flood this page with nerd talk about the tabletop version, but there is now a MUCH better video review out there from The Secret Cabal Gaming Podcast. The podcast is about board games / RPGs and they have only recently broken into doing video content. Still, Jaime is actually a Blood Bowl player, so his perspective is a bit more what we might be hoping for.

Also, I only just noticed but the human Thrower and Catcher minis come with balls in their hands and goddamn that bothers me way more than it should.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

According to this guy, lots of changes, mostly to do with league management and communication:

A team editor, which would allow tournaments that don't start with rookies.
Many tournament options including resurrection tournaments, manual seeding, double elim etc.
Commishes can can award spp / injuries etc to recreate a lost / crashed game.
More skills will be able to be set to be optional (apparently you can't turn off fend in BBII? wtf).
You have the choice to display dice or percentage.
New chat for leagues and after match chatting which may sound bad but you can also muting people in chat and banning them from leagues you run.
Multiplayer pausing; you can pause but your opponent can unpause so it can't be abused. It's actually better than the FUMBBL timeout system for friendlies.
Also like a bunch of other stuff I didn't put down but it all sounds okay.

Even though a lot of the questions raised here (retirement, spiraling expenses, etc) aren't mentioned specifically, it sounds like they left no stone unturned. This sounds like BBII should have been in the first place. I will certainly consider getting this one and getting back to my usual strategies of turn 16 fouls every single turn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Lunethex posted:

So in BB2 you can foul while going for a touchdown.

Move into the endzone with the ball and queue up a foul, as long as it's in range, and you foul from the end zone by throwing your boot at their body or something, and it can't send you off and it rolls normally anyway.

At least this isn't as bad as the Wizard bug the first time around. The real key will be to see if they change it when they release the next version of the game.

Besides, more fouling is strictly a good thing :orks:

• Locked thread