Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

It stretches on from the Kasei Valley to the Argyre Sea, from the rolling plains of Xanthe to the jagged peaks of Tharsis.

Once, this land served as a colony to a sprawling empire from across the stars. These Imperials brought civilization to a dead world, created life of all shapes and sizes and spread it all throughout the planet. They lived like gods in shining, floating places and craved worship and servitude from their creations.

They fled this land millennia ago, their palaces long buried beneath the red sands. And we, the creatures they left behind, we live, build, and thrive on the bones of their legacy.

This is the Crimson Verge; a land of petty fiefdoms, bizarre wonders, and harsh wilderness as far as the eye can see, where people fight to build a better world than what came before.

It attracts Masters from all over the planet; warriors, scholars, and artisans who practice the Imperial art of Flow manipulation to shape reality and perform feats beyond mortal reckoning. Many seek dominion and glory, others look for knowledge or treasure from lost Imperial palaces, and some just wish for the next stop in a long, dusty road. Their tales and battles across the Verge are legendary.

You are a Master, an adept of gun and blade, shaper of the Flow that breathes in all life. Where do you place yourself in this chaotic land? What legends do you leave behind? How does the world sunder at your wake?

_____

This isn't an open recruit. I've already decided who I want in this game, so this is more of a thread to dump ideas in.

This is Romance of the Three Kingdoms and Exalted going by the way of John Carter of Mars, Numenera, and a bit of Warframe. It will be a high-powered adventure game about larger than life heroes who do awesome things and kick aside the armies and titans that dare stand in their way. Expect to battle with kung-fu/gun-fu/magic, discover weird things, forge new domains, use cool artifacts, handle impossible threats, and deal with all my cute NPCs.

Other than that, I want us to build on the setting proper together so we can fill it with hooks that your characters care about. Introduce new species, cultures, secret martial arts schools, metaphysical facts, etc at your whim. I'm going to try a very open approach to running this game and might ask a lot of input from you, serving more as a judge than a GM with an concrete plan. We'll see how it turns out!

We're all new to Strike, so let's take this slowly. Just go ahead and put out some preliminary characters concepts and ideas about the setting. I'll set up my next post about setting building and what rules we're using for character creation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.
Working on my character but here's some ideas for a hostile nation on the edge of the Verge.

This is just a collection of concepts for a moment, pending a more formal write up.

The League of Tharsis
(also called the Tharsian League, Tharsis. Things from there are Tharsian or League [eg. Tharsian soldiers, League noble].)
  • Ostensibly ruled by the Astyanassa (or Astyanax). That position has no real political power in the current age however.
  • Real power rests with the Anassa (or Anax), the rulers of the city-states that make up the league, and their noble houses.
  • The source of the Anassa's power is that they descend from bloodlines that have access to powerful artifacts only they can use.
  • The Grand Ecclesia is a sort of parliament of the Anassa that is supposed to see to the day to day running of the League for the Astyanassa, in practice the Anassa use it for political infighting and hammering out disagreements among themselves.
  • The Astyanassa has one real power left - appointment of the Strategos, supreme military leader. There hasn't been a Strategos for two centuries, because no one city-state or Anassa has had enough power to force an appointment over the objections of the others.
  • The city-states of the League are barred by law and tradition from going to war with each other, though they do use duels between champions to settle issues pretty regularly.
  • Recently, certain city-states have started taking military action in the Verge. The stricture against conflict doesn't apply to outsiders, and if a Anassa can gain enough power and prestige with conquests in the Verge, they might be able to get themselves named Despot.
  • The invasion is more a competition than a cooperative campaign, but Tharsians see defeat of one of their own as a slight to all of them. They'll relish a small reverse or two suffered by a rival, but will present a united front if the honor of the League as a whole is impugned.
  • The other power in the League are the war-covens, practitioners of the Weirding Way (more below). Most serve one Anassa or another, but a cadre of witch-paladins serve the Astyanassa directly (technically, their Polemarch makes all the real decisions) as a sort of private guard / champions who see to matters that affect the League as a group (typically chasing down renegades or dealing with monsters or foreigners).

The idea is sort of a mix of Greek city states and Japan prior to the unification under the Tokugawa shogunate, with a bit of BattleTech's Clans thrown in.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
A collection of thoughts about how the world works:
  • The remnants of some broad health and disease control systems still work, if you have operator access.
  • This can perform "miraculous" healing. But the same system also controls stuff like end-of-life, death-with-dignity options.
  • Did we mention this system has a few glitches and computer virii? It does.
  • Operator access, to this or any other global system, thus offers powerful, if kind of unreliable, miracles.
  • Other such systems might exist, but generally those the systems recognize as operators are recognized by one system only.

And a collection of thoughts about my character:

Who might be named Plai Soldur

• Vampiric Necromancer Leader.
  • I seem to have any number of these swords. They just appear in hand when needed. I'm not so good a swordsman, but I can throw them.
  • So. Miraculous healings. Powerful people might request one. At least one got a miraculous, swift death instead, possibly because "too gone to save". Maybe it just went wrong. Who was it?
  • May have been converted to Cirno's character's belief system. Probably got access after conversion.
  • Cleansing the system of virii and allowing other people to access could really help people everywhere. Deputy healing magic.
  • Humble beginnings until the system recognized her as an authorized user.

Staticpulse
Nov 1, 2010

Herein I have explained the operation of the sun.
Here's some details on my character's backstory.

Name: Mimiko

A long time ago, there was a quaint little village tucked far off the beaten path. The villagers kept to themselves and their simple ways, wanting nothing to do with the larger world. But the small village off the beaten path was a frequent victim of monsters and humans alike, who attempted to take advantage of its relative isolation.

The village had a savior in their spiritual leader. A young woman with long black hair and a robe of white and red channeled the power of the gods and drove back all aggressors. The woman gained a reputation for her bravery and abilities; soon enough imitators in other clans and villages surfaced. These women became to be known as ‘Miko’ and known for their ability to interpret spirits and channel the gods.

One day, a frightening man appeared from the south. Having conquered many smaller nation-states already, he turned his eye northward and moved to incorporate those lands into his ever-expanding empire. The northern lands faltered before the conqueror's might, unable to work together against their common foe.

The years that followed were brutal. The Conqueror took what he wished and did not protect the Northern Lands from the monsters and bandits that he left in his wake. The Miko from the small, isolated village stood up to the chaos to protect her village and her people. Her valiant deeds touched the heart of the people and whisperings of uniting under her banner against the Conqueror began to surface. These whisperings wormed their way to the Conqueror’s ears...

One day, the Conqueror visited the small, isolated village. He came with an offering for the Miko, an intricately designed Gehobako. But the box was a fake; a monster resided inside the box and attacked the Miko when she inspected it. The Miko perished and the monster assumed her identity. The Conqueror was satisfied and left the village, leaving his faithful minion behind.

For a time, the fake Miko was a faithful follower of the Conqueror. She stamped out dissent and did not move against the bandits and monsters that plagued the land. The people began to despair, believing their protector had been cowed by the Conqueror. But, one day, a young boy approached the Miko and spoke to her.

“Miko, Miko. Why do you not help us? The bandits take our food and our treasure and our families. Are you not a good Miko who will help us?”

The fake Miko considered for a while. The Conqueror told her to impersonate the Miko in the small, isolated town. “Yes. A good Miko would help the people.” The Miko stated, slowly rising from the floor. She left the town that day.

One week later, she brought back food and treasure and the abducted people.

Years passed again. A great monster ravaged the land. The young boy, now a young man, approached the Miko again. “Miko, Miko. Why do you not help us? The great monsters that roam the land take our food and our treasure and our families. Are you not a good Miko who will help us?”

The fake Miko considered for a moment. “Yes. A good Miko would help the people.” The Miko stated, slowly rising from the floor. She left the town that day.

One month later, she brought back the heads of the monsters who plagued the land.

Years passed again. The Conqueror had taken over the entirety of the land. A grueling, non-stop war of fifty-three years had at last ended. He and his closest advisors held a great feast, drinking and eating the food of the lands he now claimed. When he retired to his bedchamber that night, he saw a young woman with long black hair and a robe of red and white.

“Mimic, Mimic. Why are you here? The world is mine and not a thing exists that does not belong to me. You have been a good Mimic who has helped me and so anything you desire shall be yours.”

The fake Miko considered for a moment. “I desire to be a good Miko.” The Miko stated, slowly rising from the floor. She fought the Conqueror that night.

The next morning, she brought back the peace the people desired.

Motivation: I will become a true Miko! - Mimiko’s greatest desire is to be a good miko. Miko’s have the power to channel the power of a god, an ability which she lacks. So, in order to become a good miko, a true miko, she must gain that power. Either she must find some way to become fully human or, perhaps, even become a god herself...

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

I figure a visual reference would be good.

Map taken from this place, I used some other maps as reference to name some major regions. The names are either simplified or twisted to sound more interesting. Feel free to interpret them however you like.

In fact, here's a Google Drawing, where I plop circles to where I assume Gorbash and Staticpulse's empires are. Edit it if you want, add some place names too if got any!

Which reminds me... since we're doing the world building thing already, I'm going to steal something from Gorbash's game and put up some questions to answer.
  • One person of import to the world (does not have to be connected to your character)
  • One group that has a degree of authority or control, and their sphere of influence
  • One interesting location
  • One thing you know (a verifiable fact about the world)
  • One thing you've heard (a rumor, a story, something you think is true but don't have proof of)
  • One thing you've seen (something strange you've seen but don't fully understand or have proof of)
  • One piece of music to be your character's theme
I'll answer these questions myself, and also ask some more questions once your character concepts are more concrete.

Mitama fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Sep 18, 2015

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

That's really cool. The placement for the Tharsis League makes sense to me.

Though maybe it should be the Labyrinth of Night? That just sounds cooler to me somehow.

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Yeah, I agree! :P I'll change it on the next pass.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

TurninTrix posted:

Which reminds me... since we're doing the world building thing already, I'm going to steal something from Gorbash's game and put up some questions to answer.
  • One person of import to the world (does not have to be connected to your character):
  • One group that has a degree of authority or control, and their sphere of influence:
  • One interesting location: Footfall Cathedral: Said to be the first place the Imperials ever visited. As much a museum and neutral meeting ground as an actual religious house, it's been accepted as a place of no war or planned violence for centuries. No one would violate that, certainly.
  • One thing you know (a verifiable fact about the world): It's not just me. Healing, death, and seeing to the final rites of the deceased are all seen as connected. A town's doctor is also its mortician, and may dress like it's a funeral even for routine visits or times when the patient is doing better and expected to recover. Health and death are intrinsically connected.
  • One thing you've heard (a rumor, a story, something you think is true but don't have proof of): It's said, though I've yet to see it, that those who try unauthorized demands for healing are sometimes transformed into monsters. Surely that's not true, though. We'd know, right?
  • One thing you've seen (something strange you've seen but don't fully understand or have proof of): Once, during a distant call, I would have sworn that the person on the other line wasn't distorted by the net's virii, but simply... taken over. Not the actual person on the other end, but what I saw seemed like it trying to impersonate him. That's silly, though, of course.
  • One piece of music to be your character's theme: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_3Zad-e9f4
I'll answer these questions myself, and also ask some more questions once your character concepts are more concrete.

I'll work on the other two later. I don't have ideas for those.

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Oh yeah, do you guys prefer other sentient species/civilizations playing a big part in the world, or should it be a human-dominant civilization with weird creatures/fae folk/whatever in the periphery?

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

I mentioned it in chat, but I'd lean more towards only humans with some strangeness at the periphery, or maybe one other important non-human species/civilization with strangeness at the periphery. Say like Barsoom, where the Red and Green Martians predominate, with smaller groups in the hidden corners, except no horrible racist pastiches.

-------------

Regarding technological communications - handheld short-range devices are common and easily used. Over a mile or two, they're reliable, and in good conditions maybe five. Trying to communicate further than that though requires special equipment (long range radio), some kind of infrastructure (wires), or access to the ancient Worldnet.

Very few communities in the Verge can afford to put up their own wired communications (though the League of Tharsis maintains a telegraph network within their own territory and connected to a few major points in the Verge), but most do have a long-range device of some sort.

Outside of a settlement, though, if someone wants to try to communicate over very long distances, they have to attempt to access the Worldnet.

An ancient wireless internet that blankets the entire planet, the Worldnet fell apart after the Imperials left. Today it is ridden with rogue virtual intelligences, countless virii (some of them even sentient themselves), and stranger things. Connecting a device to the Worldnet is fraught with peril. Even a clean, hardened device will quickly be overcome within a few minutes, and once that happens the virii can often jump to local technology, quickly becoming a mortal danger.

More powerful states sometimes reclaim local Worldnet hubs and fortify them against the external hordes, but these usually fall apart within a decade. Others are able to pull resources out of the Worldnet and establish parallel intranets for local use. These are harder for the virii to infect, but one mistake can lead to their fall.

Large communities and powerful factions maintain listeners that monitor Worldnet traffic, so an emergency call has a chance of reaching someone, though they rarely attempt to reply.

Rarely an ancient site will have a relatively stable Worldnet presence, and much can be learned by those willing to risk accessing them. Similarly, the great and ancient virtual intelligences inhabiting the Worldnet sometimes impart secret knowledge or insight if properly petitioned.

As a general maxim, the more primitive a communication system is, the more it can be trusted, and the more likely people will rely on it for important things. The more advanced it is, the more vulnerable it is to virii.

-------------

For fashion and style, in the Verge gear that has a more technological or industrial appearance is considered archaic. Something that looks like it was mass-produced, that looks to our eyes to be high-tech or modern, seems old fashioned to people in the Verge, because that sort of gear looks like the ancient things the Imperials wore. Maybe even like what the Imperials wore before the Golden Age.

Gear that has a more contemporary appearance tends to be have a more fantasy-esque appearance.

The Tharsis League deliberately apes the old-fashioned styles with their clothing and gear, though they tend to accessorize it with more fantastic things (capes, etc).

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
Jaleh the Immortal, Wielder of the 8th Ancile

Millenia ago, the Old Gods reigned. We, the brothers and sisters of the Order of the Peoples' Shield, followed their edicts and upheld their law amongst their empire. Our order blossomed then, with caesareums located in every city and village, large or small. We had been gifted with a most amazing artifact: the 12 Anciles. Requiring full-body surgery to implant, the Anciles were a network of connected nanohives and builders, keyed in to specific genetic sequences to integrate fully with the body. A guardian armed with an Ancile may turn their body to Imperial Steel to defend themselves, or create weapons from seemingly nowhere, or enhance their muscles and bones to perform acts of great athleticism; they are never unarmed, never defenseless. These artifacts allowed us to travel the land and ensure the law of the gods remained upheld, that good would always destroy evil, that no child of the gods need fear chaos or barbarism. But as well all know, the time of leaving came, and the Old Gods vanished. Ours is not to question why; if the Old Gods believed it should be so, then it should be so, amen. Ours is only to do.

In the time since then our order has had to change. We are no longer the Order of the Peoples' Shield; such a name implies a multiplicity of other Orders dedicated to the Old Gods. There are so very few left, we are now simply the Order of the Old Gods. We maintain our faith, and our duties. Our Immortals, armed with the Anciles we still have, travel this empire and safeguard it from usurpers and tyrants. We gather records of the times of old to safe keep them, and technologies deemed too dangerous for the hands of others as well. We search eternal for the lost Anciles, but most especially the First, believed to have a power unimaginable - that all other Anciles are but desperate and lesser copies of it. We stand against the hubris of the Tharsian who believe themselves equal to if not greater then the Old Gods. We stand against the horrors of the Conqueror, who would plunge our land into a den of lies and chaos. And always, we seek to make a greater world, to bring about a new dawn and awakening, to follow the teachings of the Old Gods and to bring about a new state of peace and happiness.

Jaleh the Immortal, Student of the Cleansing Pyre and Healing Hearth, the Lioness Who Roars Her Defiance, it is now your turn. We have ensured your genetic code is correct. Our doctors have already prepared. Soon the time for your grand pilgrimage will come. Remember your oaths to stay pure and good in thought, word, and deed. Beware the other religions, especially those that espouse venomous asceticism; the path of self denial is one of poison, to weaken you in your war against evil. And Jaleh...may your feet all light on the road that never ends.

TurninTrix posted:

• One person of import to the world (does not have to be connected to your character)
  • One group that has a degree of authority or control, and their sphere of influence
  • One interesting location
  • One thing you know (a verifiable fact about the world)
  • One thing you've heard (a rumor, a story, something you think is true but don't have proof of)
  • One thing you've seen (something strange you've seen but don't fully understand or have proof of)
  • One piece of music to be your character's theme
  • The Oracle, a highly advanced genius built across and connected to more databases then we know of. Our Order is still unsure of the precise steps needed to summon it, but once you DO have it's attention, there is virtually no question it cannot answer; as far as we can tell it has full access to every sensor relay, every satellite, and every library that exists. Until we find a more permanent way to summon it's attention, it seems to simply visit people or groups on whim. If it has an ulterior motive - and of course it does - we do not yet know it. Remember, the intelligence of a genius is radically different from that of a living being. There is no telling what it could want, or even if we could understand it if we knew.
  • The Fraternity of the Red Rose. Originally allies of ours, the Red Rosers were a widespread and disparate group of scientists, mostly biologists, with their own private network to share their findings. In time, they grew more and more organized; at one point it was rare for doctors not to have some connection to the Fraternity. Their goal was simple; as our understanding of the Old Gods increased, so too did our need to learn the world around us. They would share all knowledge with each other freely, to unlock all gates and open our eyes to the very foundation of life. Since then, things have changed. In the wake of the Conqueror's armies and the march of Tharsis, they have begun to splinter heavily. On the least terrible, some readily join the Tharsis League, though doing so means splitting off from the Fraternity and denouncing them (of course, many who do this do not announce it, allowing them to act as spies). Far more have begun to delve into darker regions; information from Conqueror lands paints a grim picture of mutated soldiers and lab-born thralls to act as meat for his armies. Others have begun engaging in increasingly obscene experiments, and our Order destroyed one cell who was performing vivisections on Tharsis citizens in hopes of isolating and finding the origin of the Wilding Way. All things considered, members of the Fraternity are to be viewed with suspicion on meeting them; there are fewer and fewer boundaries they would not consider breaking.

• The Order of the Old Gods added containing artifacts and weapons of the Old Gods to our list of precepts after one temple had a particularly disastrous attempt to use an ancient weapon to help fight off an invasion - only to find it rained fire from the heavens indiscriminately on those that tried to use it, and poisoned the land for miles and miles around. If the weapon was not destroyed, it lies buried in the ruins of what is still a poisoned and irradiated wasteland.
  • There are places, I have been told, where the genius loci of an area - the AI - have grown fully sentient, independent, and corrupt. Often times they will "consume" the other local geniuses in some manner and take their access, expanding their reach, and slowly turning the region into whatever their bizarre and inhuman intelligence drives them to make. As strange and terrifying as the physical world may be in such an area, the local intranet is far worse.
  • A drifter known as Who Heard Thunder Speak crossed my path early on. A curious man who fought using a style of martial arts I had never heard of before. He must have had some sort of augmentation similar to my own, given his perchance for hurling blasts of electricity and throwing foes back with a thunderous boom. I tried to speak with him, only to find him at best half-mad, and at worst fully insane; there was little I could learn before we went our separate ways. I find myself wondering what turned him into the weapon he is - and worrying would could occur if the wrong hands could repeat it.
  • Quiet Theme / Loud Theme

~*~

Background: Immortal / Warrior-monk (Alliance of Temples (Connections), Hand to Hand Combat, Record Keeping, Old Empire Politeness, Machine Insight)
Trick: Scan Ancient Technology (an Ancile-bound Immortal always knows what the machines of the Old Gods are built for)
Origin: Order of the Old Gods (Languages, Ancient History)
Complication: Tremendously Naive (Jaleh has never left the temple before now...)
Personalize: Brute Strength
Trick: Heavy Lifting (Jaleh can always left an object or obstacle if anyone can)
Complication: Repressed Boisterousness (when things get heated, Jaleh's calm, cool, and quiet attitude falls apart quickly)

Poor [1]

Kit: Brute
Advance: And Look Good Doing It

Tacticool Combat

Class: Martial Artist (Weeping Willow, Tempest, Scorpion)
Role: Striker (Mobility)
Feat: Superhuman (Darkvision, super leaping)

ProfessorCirno fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Oct 17, 2015

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
So I'm taking and running with some stuff discussed on IRC and just treating it as a given for now if no one complained right then. If anyone doesn't like anything here, just let me know on IRC/post here and I'll change it; I'm happy to adjust to suit, but I'm taking the chance when I have time to post stuff.

The town always needed a doctor. It was simple math; the farming communities for any distance around were no home of medical professionals, and farm work can be dangerous. The Soldur family had been that for generations, passing parent to child. Whether sickness, injury or actual death, someone had to care for those who were not at their peak.

Plai was the second of three children in her generation; not the one intended to inherit the franchise, as it were, but certainly someone who might. She grew up assisting, learning, taking care of those who either had minor ailments and thus did not need the specialized care of her father or elder sister, or those who were beyond help and thus needed merely to be seen to on their way out of this life.

So, then, when a charismatic preacher came to town, there was little to hold her. Plai set aside her life as it had been to follow this interesting, non-ascetic faith that was offered, and the promise of gathering valuable lost records. Even on the road, after all, a good medicine woman had value, especially for someone who might travel to distant and dangerous regions.

Things changed one day, though, when they happened to visit another village where a fatally wounded guard was spending his last night. Plai did what she could to make his time comfortable, but it was of clearly little use. If only there were something more she could do. The Old Gods had had miraculous healing machinery, after all, scattered throughout the region. If only that were accessible...

Rmt Acc Eng: Gene sequence authorized. Boot sqnce init. Command? :ins:

To her startlement as much as anyone else's, the guardsman did not only survive the night, by the next morning he was on his feet and hale as ever. It didn't work for everyone, nor always to the extent or method wanted, but with surprisingly little practice, Plai quickly became able to call this health-maintaining machinery at will.

Tales of this miraculous healer spread, faster than she could travel. It was, thus, not too surprising when someone called on her to heal someone who could not move. This was rarely asked for with such a large group of soldiers, however. It seemed something had happened to the Conqueror; he had been grievously injured and stood now at the border of life and death. Plai was escorted to the Conqueror's bedside, and called upon to heal him.

For him, it did not heal. His body was consumed instead, meting a swift end rather than a lingering one. In the confusion and in the stunned disbelief, Plai slipped away. Soon enough, though, this 'murder' would be placed on Plai by general acclaim.

Plai Soldur

Background: Country Caretaker (Bartering, Gratitude of the Common Folk, Medical/Funereal Knowledge, Etiquette, Medical Technobabble (Heroic).)
Trick: Diagnosis (Pai is always able to tell if someone is injured or sick, and in what way, upon a brief examination)
Origin: Admin of Global Health Network (Miraculous Healing (Heroic), Wealth)
Complication: Checkered Reputation (Plai is sometimes seen as a miraculous healer, other times as a death dealer... and sometimes both somehow together)
Personalize: Observation
Trick: TBA
Complication: Inappropriate Levity

Rich [2]

Kit: First Aid, Healer

Tacticool Combat

Class: Necromancer (Gift of Vampiricism, Phantasms, Deadly Poison, Command Undead, Life Drain)
Role: Leader (Tactics, Heal, Try Again!)
Feat: Resilient

ZeeToo fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Nov 6, 2015

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
A few basic beliefs of Jaleh's religion:

1) The Old Gods were perfect and created this world for us; they gave us instructions and rules to follow to ensure this world would come to full fruition and grow into a paradise.
2) There is no great cosmic evil deity; all citizens (aka everybody) have the ability to make their own choices and choose to follow a path of good or a path of evil.
3) Likewise the world is not inherently an evil or sinful one; there is no "fall of man." Again, the Old Gods created this world - implying it is lesser or unfinished or that it has been tainted is paramount to demeaning the Old Gods, and is blasphemous. All evil things that are done are done by individuals.
4) The true and correct path in life is to follow the laws and instructions of the Old Gods. Most of this would be basic Imperial law that has since drifted and changed over the millenia.
5) Not everyone need follow this religion; rather, those called to it do so in order to fight the war against evil.
6) Asceticism is strictly frowned on. The Old Gods created this world so that it could be enjoyed and grown - self denial is intentionally removing yourself from the gifts of the Gods, and weakens you in your fight against evil. Life should be enjoyed in moderation, but still enjoyed.
7) There is much the Old Gods did and know that we do not yet understand. To that end, practitioners are called on to find all records they might have left behind and have them sent to the scholars in the temples. Even the most basic and seemingly useless records could mean something.
8) There are many things the Old Gods built and used that we do not yet understand that could be frightfully dangerous - the Anciles when used improperly will tear their user apart at best, and take the whole village with them at worse. Questionable artifacts should be delivered to the temples and put into storage to be studied and specifically not used.
9) I imagine the temple is made up of mostly scholars and scientists, with a few martial branches such as the one Jaleh belonged to who either protect the temple or go out and fight evil elsewhere. Jaleh just became one of the few elite that are given an Ancile.

Ideas:

1) The temples could have their own private network they use to share information they gather, especially the records of the Old Empire. The AI are seen as other servants of the Old Gods; maybe a bit of Roman genius loci influence.
2) Jaleh's specific temple started off as an imperial cult built around both deifying the Old Empire and using a set of artifacts to protect them; there could be other former cults that have likewise drifted out there.
3) Maybe a whole "Lost Ark" -esque storage facility somewhere used to store all the various technological artifacts they find and don't believe the populace is ready to use?
4) That First Ancile the grandaddy and superpowered one, is still out there...!

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Varakyn Phokaina

Tharsis. Defender of Civilization. Last bastion of the vanished Empire. When the rest of the world fell into chaos, the Astyanassa of Olympus held firm. At the foot of the Silver Strand, her redoubt remained unconquered. Over time, her champions descended the Starry Stair and founded the Thirty-Three Poleis. Like all sisters they were quarrelsome, but in time the League united them. And so began the Great Task, of returning civilization to our red world. Or so the legends say. I, being a Tharsian, know that this is a tale much polished, it's troublesome realities worn smooth. Not a lie, but hardly a truth.

I was born in ancient Urros, the First of Cities, at the very foot of the Starry Stair. My family were simple tradesfolk, programmer-mediums and archivists. I do not remember them well, for I left them when I was still small. The Covens test all who might have the gift, and they did not miss me. I became an initiate of the Twice Broken Circle, oldest and most revered of the War Covens. I learned the secrets of the Weirding Way, unknown even to the Empire. I mastered the shimmering sword and the unseen shield. So much did I excel that the Iron Citadel opened its doors to me. I was squire to Nyane Angelina, called the Hand of Dawn. It was she who seconded me when I took my oath before the Alabaster Throne, who sponsored me into the Hetaireia.

It was the proudest day of my life. I was personal champion to the Astyanassa, companion of Polemarch Selene Nikephore. As a Hetaeriarch my profession was battle. I fought in a dozen Trials to uphold the prestige and rights of Urros, and won them all. I slew foul beasts and rogue automatons. I was I who bested the Bronze Thing of Obin. But my pride began to sour. Though at first I strove to keep to my oaths, I was caught in the endless intrigues and countless factions of the White Court. I would call it a crystal viper's nest, but at least in a snake pit you need fear only for your life. Flush with victories and honors, I soon stopped resisting temptation, and indulged myself, as much as the rest. For a time the jealousy of my rivals did not matter - I had the favor of the Polemarch, powerful friends among the mentat-nobility and even in the Grand Ecclesia.

But I had made enemies. I was cavalier and foolish. I allowed myself a transgression that could not be ignored, only overlooked, and those enemies made certain it was not. I was stripped of my office and my honors, exiled to the hinterlands, cast out from the League. The Ban was pronounced upon me. I could not return to my home, until and unless I could prove myself worthy with some great deed.

And so I have come to Verge. This place of danger and adventure, untamed and unconquered. I am a paladin no longer. Nothing more than a poor knight-errant with nothing but her Art and her Oaths. I had lost myself, but perhaps here I can be found again. To remember how to be a true knight.

e: Added music theme link in the name at the top.

Character Sheet posted:

General
Background: Witch-Knight
Skills: Courtly Manners, Dragon Slaying, Tactics, The Weirding Way, Covenmates (Connections)
Wealth: Poor [1]
Tricks: Shimmering Sword (Varakyn can create a blade from mental energy that can cut through any normal substance, eventually.)

Origin: Tharsian Exile
Skills: Intrigue, Epikos Oros
Complication: Chivalry

Personalization
Skills: Programmer-Medium
Tricks: Autohypnosis (Varakyn can perfectly recall anything she hears or reads, whether it be words, numbers, or diagrams by entering a meditative state.)

Gear:

Motivation: To be a true knight

Kit: The Psychic
Advance: Hallucination

Tactical
Class: The Duelist
Base: Duel, Change Target
At-Wills: Demand Attention, Get Over Here
Encounter: Perfect Defense

Role: Blaster
Base: Multitarget Boost
Precision Boost: Precision
Action Trigger: Consistent Attack

Feat: Superhuman
Sense: Third Eye
Movement: You can spend a Move Action to teleport up to your speed to swap places with a willing creature you can see, or an Attack Action if they are unwilling.

Comrade Gorbash fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Oct 26, 2015

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Okay, since we have concepts going in an interesting direction, I'm looking for sheets this time.

Just follow both parts of Character Creation, as well as a Kit. We're using the Heroic Skill rules on page 71, so pick a skill from Background and another from Origin to mark as your Heroic Skills. This is your "Kung Fu", so to speak, the skill that you're trained to the point of supernatural ability and makes you a Master.

If you need help with it, hit me up. I still need to ask questions for everyone, but I'll save that when things in school get better.

Staticpulse
Nov 1, 2010

Herein I have explained the operation of the sun.
Character sheet time!

Name: Mimiko

Background: Miko (Fortune Telling, Rituals (Shinto), Exorcism, Spirit Channeler, Big Game Hunter; Omikuji of Fate)

Origin: Mimic (Shapeshifting, Impersonation; Agoraphobia)

Personalize: Wandering Gourmet (Cooking; Purifying Salts; Always Hungry)

Gear:

Miko Toolbox: Contains tools for performing Shinto rituals and Exorcisms. (prayer beads, ofuda, tamagushi, etc.)

Motivation: I will become a true Miko! - Mimiko’s greatest desire is to be a good miko. Miko’s have the power to channel the power of a god, an ability which she lacks. So, in order to become a good miko, a true miko, she must gain that power. Either she must find some way to become fully human or, perhaps, even become a god herself...

Kit: The Seer - Sight Skill: Fortune Telling

Once per session, you may foresee the results of an action before you or another player rolls. Announce that you are using this ability, make the roll in question and let the DM describe the results, including any resulting Twist. Then you may decide whether to go through with the roll and the outcome you foresaw, or to try something different.

Advances

True Dreaming: Whenever you sleep, the DM will reveal a dark future you can change.

Class: Shapeshifter

Gain the abilities Blurred Form and Primal Compulsion. Usable in normal form only.

After using a Transformation Power, may use a Move action to change forms.

One-form Shifter (Viper Form, Yamata-no-Orochi)

When you Rally, you may choose to regain your spent Transformation power. When you use it for the second time, instead of transforming again, you may add one of the following traits to your transformed form for the rest of the combat:

• Plus one size (e.g. 1x1 becomes 2x2).
• Plus 1 reach.
• Plus 4 speed.
• All your attacks become “melee or range: 5” instead of melee

You may also sacrifice a level 3 or level 7 Encounter Power to gain another use of your Transformation Power if you want to enhance your form without Rallying.

At Level 5, increase the damage line on all your At-Wills and your Melee Basic Attack to 3.

Role: Defender

The Defender’s key action is Marking. In this game, Marking simply gives the Defender
more chances to hurt the monster in question. If they make an attack that does not include you as a target, or if they shift out of a square within your reach, then they grant you an Opportunity. You don’t need to be up close to keep monsters Marked either. You can deal Opportunity damage at range.

Defense Boost: When you take 3 or more damage, Resist 1. When you roll 3 - 6 on an attack, regain 1 HP.

Stickiness Boost: Deal +1 damage on Opportunity attacks. Gain the Mark ability.

Feat: Long Reach - +1 Range

Skills: Fortune Telling, Rituals (Shinto), Exorcism, Spirit Channeling, Big Game Hunter, Shapeshifting, Impersonation, Cooking
(Spirit Channeling and Shapeshifting are Mimiko's heroic skills, Fortune Telling is her Seer skill)

Wealth: Poor [1]

Reputations: N/A

Tricks:

Omikuji of Fate: When divining a fortune via a randomized method (e.g. fortune cookie, omikuji), the fortune is eerily accurate. A positive fortune will generate a Good Luck Advantage while a negative fortune will generate a Bad Luck Complication.

Purifying Salts: Whenever Mimiko cooks no matter how rotten, poisonous, or otherwise unfit for consumption the food and drink are she can turn it into a clean meal (taste is another matter).

Complications:

Agoraphobia: Fear of open places. Usually fine with a roof overhead. Not much of an outdoorsman either.

Always Hungry: Shapeshifting burns a lot of calories. It’s hard to resist a smell of delicious food when your stomach is growling...

Staticpulse fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Oct 20, 2015

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Hmm. If all goes well this weekend, I should be able to get the thread up so we can get started. :tem:

I'm going to put you guys at the province of Mesa, south of the Mariner's Canyon and at the northern edge of the Conqueror's territory. Faced with a crumbling empire and the approaching armies of Tharsis, the Despot of Mesa (and once servant of the Conqueror) has rapidly fortified the region, instilled paranoia upon the populace, and sent bounties for each of your heads for various reasons (we should talk about that :U). Meanwhile, the Despot's men continue to dig deeper and deeper beneath the capital city, in the hopes of finding something long lost forgotten: an Imperial weapon said to shatter whole armies.

By the way, how well does everyone know each other? I know Plai and Jaleh have a thing going right now. Do all prefer to know each other beforehand or should this be your first adventure together?

Would you prefer to start things off in the middle of a battle to kick the action off, or just a few steps towards one to establish everyone?

Mitama fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Oct 15, 2015

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
Plai and Jaleh know each other, but I'd at least like the group to know each other well enough to have gotten past the introductions. Maybe we're still feeling each other out, but might as well skip to where we're a group and past "why would we travel together, can I even trust you".

I'd also like to start in a battle. I want to try out Strike!'s tactical combat, so let's get rolling with that.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
I vote we start with a fight!

Also, it's pretty obvious why the Conqueror wants us dead, at least for Plai and Jaleh. The Order of the Old Gods has "gently caress YOU, TAKE DOWN THE CONQUEROR" as an explicit goal!

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Just to make doubly sure, the game thread is up.

I decided not to put it in the OP, but I had this song playing while I wrote this. Is it appropriate? I thought so. :U

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

I added some macros for everyone's powers in the roll20 app! You can find them in the settings tab, I believe.

Let me know if I messed anything up and I will fix it asap (or teach you how to make them yourselves, geez).

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Sorry for the spam in the roll20, I have no idea what I'm doing :B

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Next post should be coming later, sorry.

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Alright, what is the consensus here? :P

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Okay, we did rolls and the result was a Push: both sides a take a Hit. You have to make a choice before I can reply:

If you remove her last trait, the stubborn remnants of her advance pursuit catch up to you, but you dispatch them with some damaged inflicted. If you want to inflict a Strike, you steal a march from her, but blazing ahead burns out your ship's engine sooner than you think.

Either way, you take two Hits because of Reckless Effort.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

• Locked thread