Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

spog posted:

I'm dying to know what those three items were.

Evidently they weren't what he wanted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Evidently they weren't what he wanted.

This is what happens when you're afraid to make a scene.

Neith
Feb 16, 2013

I used to work in a Grocery Store years ago. I was a Manager on Duty at night and I liked to have fun and sing while I worked. Usually customers liked the attitude I had because I was carefree and made things fun for my employees and customers.

Anyways, singing some bullshit song and a customer came from another aisle and said, "You ever think people just want you to shut up? Just shut up!"
He walked away....

A few days later a customer called and said they had just had surgery and there was no way to come to the store. He asked me if he could pay over the phone and if I would get someone to deliver it. Both things against policy. Regardless I said I would do it. I took his payment and then delivered the products. I knocked on the door and when he said "Come in" I opened the door and saw that it was the very same customer that told me to shut up. I could tell he remembered me and I just smiled.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

Tequila Sunrise posted:

I worked at one of those warehouse-style grocery stored during college, no frills to save the customer money or whatever. A dude came in once, walked around with a shopping cart, bought like 3 items and asked for a carry-out, which we normally don't do unless you ask, but one of the grocery guys was kind enough to carry out this dudes Pepsi and chips or whatever. Dude walks the grocery guy to the edge of the parking lot, hops into his brand-new off the lot van (stickers from the dealership still on it), and tips the dude $5. About thirty seconds later he sticks a gun in his mouth and offs himself, still sitting in the parking lot.

So, don't leave us hanging. Was this a good customer story or a bad one?

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

$5 tip is pretty generous.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Neith posted:

I used to work in a Grocery Store years ago. I was a Manager on Duty at night and I liked to have fun and sing while I worked. Usually customers liked the attitude I had because I was carefree and made things fun for my employees and customers.

Anyways, singing some bullshit song and a customer came from another aisle and said, "You ever think people just want you to shut up? Just shut up!"
He walked away....

A few days later a customer called and said they had just had surgery and there was no way to come to the store. He asked me if he could pay over the phone and if I would get someone to deliver it. Both things against policy. Regardless I said I would do it. I took his payment and then delivered the products. I knocked on the door and when he said "Come in" I opened the door and saw that it was the very same customer that told me to shut up. I could tell he remembered me and I just smiled.

When you got back did everyone applaud because everyone knows folks break out in applause all the time, not just tell you hey good job or "nice" when you were done with whatever you did.

Old Man Pants
Nov 22, 2010

Strippers are people too!

I'm a bartender at a service bar at an events center. The worst customers are the ones who want to let their small children order. It's 5 minutes of do you know what you want? What do you have again? Honey would you like this or that? When I probably could've serviced the 40 people in line behind you in the amount of time it took to take your $3 order that you didn't tip on.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
I sometimes work late shifts on Fridays/Saturdays at a restaurant. We're a prime location for drunks after last call. I've definitely seen my fair share of crazy and weird. I wish I could remember more, but just off the top of my head:

- A guy who showed me a full camera roll of nudes of all the girls he's slept with in the last few months. Half of it was nude selfies.
- A girl slurring her words so hard that her boyfriend started to beat her.
- A girl locked herself in the bathroom hysterically crying after breaking up with her boyfriend.
- A girl greened out in a corner, started seeing Nazis, and called the police.
- A homeless man who tried to smash through the front door after closing because "we turned off AC/DC."
- Exorcist vomit. Multiple times.

The worst moment was when a mentally ill woman came in and asked to use the bathroom. When she came out, she briefly mentioned that she was almost due with a baby but she lived on a park bench, and then waddled out like it wasn't the most :smith: thing.

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009

Shneak posted:

- A girl greened out in a corner, started seeing Nazis, and called the police.

I've never seen that particular euphemism before. Does it just mean she did way too much weed or something? Green-out high as opposed to black-out drunk?

Grave Deadline
Nov 23, 2010
Bad person who ended up being a customer.

During a flight, before the plane leveled off, this guy violently throws his seat back and the metal armrests backs jam into my knees. I rub my lanky appendages and the people sitting on either side of me gasped a little--it turned out that they were friends or relatives of the family sitting in front of us. Getting whapped was partially my fault but the guy seemed like a douche and, over the course of the flight, I grew an irrational hatred for him and his whiny, pudgy kid. As we slowly made our way down the aisle getting off of the plane, my eyes burned holes in the back of his bald head and scaly neck.

A week or so later, I'm cleaning the outside of a glass door in the front of the Panera Bread style restaurant I was working at. A party of 5 comes to the door and I hold it open for them. As they walk in and the glass door closes behind them, I notice this guy's dry lakebed looking neck, and know instantly that it was the same people the flight. Same guy, wife, fat kid, and the couple that sat next to me. The restaurant was slow so I was able to jog inside to the register and take their order. With a big grin I asked, "Did you guys take a flight here from Atlanta recently?" It took them a second to remember, because it was a connecting flight from Florida, but the bald guy says they did and asked how I knew. Then, the couple who were sitting next to me both recognize me and they excitedly agree "This is the kid whose knees you hit with your seat." Bald guy breaks eye contact with me and goes, "Great, now he's going to spit in my food." He gives a weak "sorry," they order, and he throws a dollar in the tip jar without making eye contact again. It felt pretty great making him mildly uncomfortable.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
did you spit in his food?

Bomrek
Oct 9, 2012
Today some guy made me put his newly-bought hemp necklace on him. To make this easier he kneeled in front of me like he was being knighted.

I had to shuffle around behind him to actually get the necklace on right.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

JFairfax posted:

did you spit in his food?
those are the best, because you don't need to, he can't prove it, and he'll still have a sneaking hunch you did and never be able to do anything about it.

Also he got called out on being a dick to a stranger in front of his family a week later, so it must've been a memorable knee-bash

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE

Buried alive posted:

I've never seen that particular euphemism before. Does it just mean she did way too much weed or something? Green-out high as opposed to black-out drunk?

Yeah, getting to high on weed ends up with the stoner going green.

Weldon Pemberton
May 19, 2012

Jeza posted:

Realtalk: funny to read this thread living in the UK and having visited the States quite a few times. People in the US will be bending over backwards to help you, and will sometimes genuinely smile. Not even a fake smile, but real. Everybody in the UK celebrated the day they invented electronic checkout, I tell you what. On the flipside native Brits will be far too embarrassed to make a scene in a shop most of the time.

Like, sometimes I buy a coffee and they ask me black or white. And I say white, but get black, and I take it because I don't want to sound like a dick, even though it's a perfectly reasonable mistake to expect them to correct. I've had friends from abroad get really confused in a supermarket because everybody is constantly apologising to everybody else for the most trivial reasons, like walking a little bit in front of their trolley or brushing past their clothes.

I'm even sorry right now, for making this post.

I'm British and live with my partner in the US.

Today he went into Walmart and was angry with the staff because someone else there had told him they can't refund or transfer funds from a gift card, even if the receipt is produced, but the hotline on the card told him the opposite. He wasn't rude, but he made it clear he wasn't pleased with the fact he had wasted a trip there and could have been down $100 if he hadn't double-checked the hotline. The problem was solved, but he was annoyed that they didn't give him like $20 on top of that for the trouble. I found it mildly embarrassing tbh, I don't expect to get free poo poo for a minor inconvenience if it's solved eventually.

Another time we were eating at a pizza place and they put a topping on our pizza that we had requested removed. So they made another pizza without the topping, AND let us keep both pizzas and our drinks for absolutely free. I thought that was insanely generous but my partner was like "good, they put us in a lovely seat and then gave us the wrong pizza, I would have yelled at them if they hadn't made those offers". I would have just removed the toppings myself and eaten the pizza if they hadn't noticed...

I don't think he is a bad customer as he isn't openly rude, but his expectations regarding the behaviour of retail and service staff are waaaay higher than mine.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Weldon Pemberton posted:

Today he went into Walmart and was angry with the staff because someone else there had told him they can't refund or transfer funds from a gift card, even if the receipt is produced, but the hotline on the card told him the opposite. He wasn't rude, but he made it clear he wasn't pleased with the fact he had wasted a trip there and could have been down $100 if he hadn't double-checked the hotline. The problem was solved, but he was annoyed that they didn't give him like $20 on top of that for the trouble. I found it mildly embarrassing tbh, I don't expect to get free poo poo for a minor inconvenience if it's solved eventually.

Another time we were eating at a pizza place and they put a topping on our pizza that we had requested removed. So they made another pizza without the topping, AND let us keep both pizzas and our drinks for absolutely free. I thought that was insanely generous but my partner was like "good, they put us in a lovely seat and then gave us the wrong pizza, I would have yelled at them if they hadn't made those offers". I would have just removed the toppings myself and eaten the pizza if they hadn't noticed...

I don't think he is a bad customer as he isn't openly rude, but his expectations regarding the behaviour of retail and service staff are waaaay higher than mine.

Your partner sounds entitled.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Pook Good Mook posted:

Your partner sounds entitled.

yeah, reading this I was wondering if you were both gay and he was the prissy bitch of the couple.

Davinci
Feb 21, 2013
Yeah your partner is a dick

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
Yeah your husband sounds like a whiny bitch, I bet all his meals are 90% spit by volume.

Please inform him that an internet stranger thinks he's a cock.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Weldon Pemberton posted:

your partner is going to beat your children

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

JFairfax posted:

A pretty messed up thing to post, no?

Thrifting Day!
Nov 25, 2006

Jeza posted:

A pretty messed up thing to post, no?

Sometimes the truth needs to be blunt

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

JFairfax posted:

I don't think we need to add a precrime here. He's lovely even without that.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
Let me fix it:

JFairfax posted:

your partner is going to beat his meat alone once you realize what an entitled manchild he is and dump his rear end.

Better? :v:

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
I'll endorse it

Old Man Pants
Nov 22, 2010

Strippers are people too!

Got to see a bit of instant karma on NYE, a guy walked up to the bar ordered 2 drinks, and proceeded to say "hurry up buddy!" Didn't tip on his tab, and rolled his eyes at me when paying. He then proceeded to spill both his cranberry drinks all over himself.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
I'm not your buddy, guy!

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
In my family "buddy" is what guys call strange dogs and small children you don't remember the name of. It's insanely demeaning to call a grown man buddy unless you're already well acquainted.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Shneak posted:

The worst moment was when a mentally ill woman came in and asked to use the bathroom. When she came out, she briefly mentioned that she was almost due with a baby but she lived on a park bench, and then waddled out like it wasn't the most :smith: thing.

Well, that's the saddest thing I've ever read.

I just started working at a cafe, which is good, because I've been out of the job for six months. It is also bad because I suck at it, but that's okay.

So far, I've only had two "bad" customers, who were completely forgettable and stupid, but everyone else has been incredibly nice and cool. This is very new to me. Here's some of my top faves of bad customers from over the years:

1) The lady who sweetly asked if we had a bathroom (yes, but the elevator is broken, feel free to use the cafe across the street! We cleared it with the owner) and then proceeded to bug another employee and started to scream loudly that she was going to "loving piss right here on the floor".

2) The dottering old woman who suggested our bread was poorly made because we hired Asians.

3) Tipped with a giftcard on a $250 bill. "Keep the change," he winked, leaving me with an unusable sum of $7.50 trapped in plastic.

4) About ten years ago or so, the Canadian and American dollar were on par, leaving a lot of Canadian consumers asking why books still had two different prices (answer: publishers set prices several months in advance). Me, a 19 year old girl, was left alone in the bookstore to close alone when suddenly someone, I don't know who, released a group of very young, loud developmentally challenged children into the store and then loving left. As I was trying to pry books from their hands, a very large older man came in and demanded to know why he had to pay 2 dollars more for John Grisham novels than say, someone in Utah, and when I explained it he launched into some very specific abuse targeted towards me. Tired and frustrated, I snapped and started screaming at him, and I am amazed he didn't complain.

e: I only just realized this thread died a while ago, forgive me

cash crab fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Apr 17, 2016

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

coyo7e posted:

In my family "buddy" is what guys call strange dogs and small children you don't remember the name of. It's insanely demeaning to call a grown man buddy unless you're already well acquainted.

Thank you for this 4 months later.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I work in a comic store part time. We have enough terrible customers that a coworker and I started a bracket of assholes. We still haven't picked a winner.

But good customers! I've had a couple that are regulars bring my coworker and I Christmas presents- hand sewn plushies of our favorite characters! loving awesome. Cases of beer and hundreds of cookies are also dropped off at Christmas time.

Multiple times I have helped little kids get their first comic. It gets me everytime. :-)

On the flip side, I regularly have mothers- always Moms- get pussycat when they ask about buying The Walking Dead for their darling little shits. "I will show you were they are, but I will warn you that they aren't for kids. It's pretty dark."
"It's OK, he watches the TV show."
"That's great, but the book is much darker and more violent with mature content. I recommend you look through it before you decide to buy it."
"I know what my kid can read." I will reinforce that it isn't for kids, often showing them the rape and torture of Michonne, and they get the picture, but sometimes just act like assholes anyway. I've also straight up refused to sell it to people. It's almost always the Moms that get pissed; Dads normally take the attitude of "Good looking out."
Typical retail stuff with a spin happens- "Do you have that one Wolverine book where he fights that guy?" Cue 15 minutes of me trying to narrow it down, only to find out that it was a comic where Wolverine fought a dude, but it wasn't one of the 30 villains named off.
"Why isn't Batman in this book?"
"Because it is a Spider Man book."
"Yeah, but why isn't Batman in it?"

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

bulletsponge13 posted:

I work in a comic store part time. We have enough terrible customers that a coworker and I started a bracket of assholes. We still haven't picked a winner.

But good customers! I've had a couple that are regulars bring my coworker and I Christmas presents- hand sewn plushies of our favorite characters! loving awesome. Cases of beer and hundreds of cookies are also dropped off at Christmas time.

Multiple times I have helped little kids get their first comic. It gets me everytime. :-)

On the flip side, I regularly have mothers- always Moms- get pussycat when they ask about buying The Walking Dead for their darling little shits. "I will show you were they are, but I will warn you that they aren't for kids. It's pretty dark."
"It's OK, he watches the TV show."
"That's great, but the book is much darker and more violent with mature content. I recommend you look through it before you decide to buy it."
"I know what my kid can read." I will reinforce that it isn't for kids, often showing them the rape and torture of Michonne, and they get the picture, but sometimes just act like assholes anyway. I've also straight up refused to sell it to people. It's almost always the Moms that get pissed; Dads normally take the attitude of "Good looking out."
Typical retail stuff with a spin happens- "Do you have that one Wolverine book where he fights that guy?" Cue 15 minutes of me trying to narrow it down, only to find out that it was a comic where Wolverine fought a dude, but it wasn't one of the 30 villains named off.
"Why isn't Batman in this book?"
"Because it is a Spider Man book."
"Yeah, but why isn't Batman in it?"

I'm going to take a wild guess and say that one of the customers you hate is some nerdy kid who is nerdy even by comic store standards, and hangs around the comic store all the time. He is so nerdy he can't even get an invite to D&D and Warhammer games in the back room.

thrakkorzog fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Apr 18, 2016

Munchables
Feb 8, 2015

Ask/tell me about legal cannibalism

thrakkorzog posted:

I'm going to take a wild guess and say that one of the customers you hate is some nerdy kid who is nerdy even by comic store standards, and hangs around the comic store all the time. He is so nerdy he can't even get an invite to D&D and Warhammer games in the back room.

That's the kinda guy I wanna hear stories about.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

We have A LOT of dudes who fit that profile. Two come to mind- 600 and Stripper Joey. 600 is a 400LG dude who is about five feet tall and just about that around. I made the mistake of talking about a movie in front of him, and now he things we are friends. Dude loves to bitch about absolutely inconsequential poo poo. I mean, poo poo that even the other nerds go, "Dude, chill the gently caress out." He loves to sperg out about Spider Man. During the Superior Spider Man run (a storyline/series that had a dying Doc Oc put his consciousness into Peter Parker's brain. It sounds stupid, but was actually pretty drat good) he lost his poo poo that Peter Parker was gone (he wasn't). When Peter came back, he bitched that he didn't revert back to status quo. Then he botched that they were bringing Miles Morales Spider Man to NY. "There is too many Spider Mans in NY! You have Peter, Miles, Spidey 2099, and Spider Gwen. You can't have that many heroes in NY!"
Me- "Yeah they would get in the way of the X-men, Daredevil, Fantastic Four, The Punisher, The Avengers, and the Morlocks."
"Yeah but..."
Anyway, he is extremely long winded. When the Suicide Squad trailer dropped, he asked me if I watched it. I said yeah, but it looked like a poo poo show. He seriously followed me around the store for 40 minutes attempting to convince me it is awesome. He most recent kick is that DC is going to reveal the Joker's real name (for the New 52 universe that is being killed off) and won't shut the gently caress up with his dumbass theories that no one gives a poo poo about because they are killing the universe with that issue (or shortly after, I can't remember). I have never had an interaction with him on new book day that lasted less than 20 minutes. He is fairly polite- he will hold his comments until I finish ringing someone out, or just wait until people leave. But he will also insert himself into ANYONE'S conversations evenly remotely comic related.

Cue Stripper Joey. SJ is a nice guy who loves comics, but has absolutely no one else to talk to about them, so he wants to discuss every single title he gets at length, discussing theories and plotlines to the point of insanity.
"Are you reading Hulk?"
"No, not this series."
"Well, they are...:insert 45 minutes of tediousness for a series that is three issues old:" He used to come in ten minutes before we close, and then we would be there nearly an hour while he got diarrhea of the mouth about series that everyone tells him we don't follow. Nice guy, but find someone else who is into your hobby.

Three weeks ago, the stars aligned. 600 and Stripper Joey met. They spent an hour in the store, then two hours out front discussing two things- Spider Man and the Joker reveal. It was terrible. They have accidentally run into each other each week since, and as their conversations drag on and they float around the register, we have taken to not so subtle social cues to push them out.

Not a great story, but there is one. I can probably come up with more.

One of my favorites was listening to a D&D group drop into debate.
"It couldn't work, he doesn't have muscles. A skeleton can't cast magic missile. Physically impossible."
"There is no recoil. Besides, it's a magic missile."
"What level is the Skeleton?"
"Doesn't matter, he doesn't have the tendons to absorb the recoil."

"Wait- are guys actually debating whether a reanimated Skeleton who you were just fighting, who was swinging a sword, can physically handle launching a magic missile?"
"Yeah, because-"
"So in a game full of dragons, wizards, and Elves, your suspension of disbelief is whether a fictional monster can do fictional monster poo poo? You guys are nerds."

I gently caress with customers a lot. :-/

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Weldon Pemberton posted:

I despise going out with these kinds of people - they're passingly polite to the wait staff but once they're gone they'll start ranting about how terrible everything is and how lovely their tip is going to be. Their sense of entitlement over petty poo poo sucks all of the fun out of the evening. The wait staff pick up on it, too - your grim pseudo-smile isn't fooling anyone. They can't wait until this person and by proxy their entire table leaves, lovely tip or no.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

bulletsponge13 posted:

Three weeks ago, the stars aligned. 600 and Stripper Joey met. They spent an hour in the store, then two hours out front discussing two things- Spider Man and the Joker reveal. It was terrible. They have accidentally run into each other each week since, and as their conversations drag on and they float around the register, we have taken to not so subtle social cues to push them out.

Sounds like the start of a beautiful friendship.

* also holy poo poo, thank god Finland doesn't have tipping because your grim pseudo-smile isn't fooling anyone. They can't wait until this person and by proxy their entire table leaves, lovely tip or no. why are you making a simple money for food transaction so complicated.

doverhog fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Apr 23, 2016

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Why is he called stripper joey?

inkblottime
Sep 9, 2006

For Lack of a Better Name
I worked at Amazon during the WTO riots. We had to evacuate due to the escalation of violence, tear-gas leaking in, and the fact the national guard had been called in to enact curfew. As we were clearing/re-routing calls to other call centers, several people on my group had customers angry that we weren't sticking around to help them with their orders. One exchange went something like:

:mad::"You need to help me with my order."
:v::"But ma'am, there's a riot outside and we're being evacuated."
:mad::"I've been on hold for a long time and you're going to fix my order!"
:v::"You're kidding, right? The entire city is on lockdown."
:mad:: "I don't care!"
:v:: "..."

People are rushing by while this is happening, all heading for the stairwell where we waited, holding our breaths from the teargas, for the riot police to get us to what we thought would be safety, but ended up amounting to dumping us into the middle of the chaos. Then, once we got past all the police barricades, we ran through (literally) empty Seattle streets, trying to find a way home as cops shot teargas at us because they thought we were rioters. But, you know, that lady's order was super important. :colbert:

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

President Ark posted:

Why is he called stripper joey?

Because he was a former stripper named Joey.

We also used to get weird phone calls
"Thanks for calling X comics, this is bullet sponge, how can I help you?"
"Do you take infants?"
I think this is a prank from one of my friends. "Do you mean to trade or sell?"
"What? I mean do you take infants to watch?"
"Um, no. This is a comic book store."
"Oh. I thought I called a daycare."
It turns out it wasn't her fault. The yellow pages website has us listed under childcare and comics.

Another phone call:
"Hello, X comics, how can I help you?"
"Is my prescription ready?"
"I don't know."
"Why the hell not?!"
"Sir, this is a comic book store."
"So this is the CVS on Y road?"
"No sir."
"Well, why the hell isn't it?"
"Because I think you dialed the wrong number."
"Sorry."
I looked it up to check. Our number is no where close to theirs- the only thing in common is the area code.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

inkblottime posted:

I worked at Amazon during the WTO riots. We had to evacuate due to the escalation of violence, tear-gas leaking in, and the fact the national guard had been called in to enact curfew. As we were clearing/re-routing calls to other call centers, several people on my group had customers angry that we weren't sticking around to help them with their orders. One exchange went something like:

:mad::"You need to help me with my order."
:v::"But ma'am, there's a riot outside and we're being evacuated."
:mad::"I've been on hold for a long time and you're going to fix my order!"
:v::"You're kidding, right? The entire city is on lockdown."
:mad:: "I don't care!"
:v:: "..."

People are rushing by while this is happening, all heading for the stairwell where we waited, holding our breaths from the teargas, for the riot police to get us to what we thought would be safety, but ended up amounting to dumping us into the middle of the chaos. Then, once we got past all the police barricades, we ran through (literally) empty Seattle streets, trying to find a way home as cops shot teargas at us because they thought we were rioters. But, you know, that lady's order was super important. :colbert:

My girlfriend tells a story about when she worked at a Starbucks in Orange County and they were told to close one day by the fire department because of massive forest fires that were threatening the neighborhood (I think this was 2009). They locked the doors and were cleaning quickly before heading out and a lady started pounding on their front door. The manager went over and explained what they were doing and the lady was apparently livid.

You could see the flames from the parking lot.

• Locked thread