Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
What game reviews have you read/watched that said things that were blatantly untrue about a game? (Bonus points if these bad reviews put people off the game in question)

---------------

Here are some excerpts from IGN's Dragon Ball Z Infinite World review (emphasis mine):

quote:

"This game has the worst Dragon Ball fighting mechanics I have ever seen," he said after fooling with the controller for a few minutes and before handing the device back to me with a look of disgust. "It's also a really terrible game."

...That's pretty much where the good news ends. It's not that fighting is broken in this fighter; it's just that it's really boring. You'll tap buttons like mad, and end up just firing off fireballs.

...You can still edit your skills to modify your character and you can still transform, but none of this makes up for the fact that button mashing just isn't that fun.

...You'll go to other story levels to be trained, and you'll have to complete a certain number of moves. That sounds OK, but the game never tells you how to do these required moves

Basically the game has the same fighting mechanics as Dragon Ball Z Budokai 3, a great game that is definitely not about button mashing. He also complains about how the game doesn't tell him what to do on missions, when there is a menu that you can enter after choosing a mission that tells you what to do :downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
*crickets*

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

https://www.ign.com

borf
Apr 5, 2006

Surprise, nobody cares about dragonballs or game reviews. Sorry :(

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
Review said that game was bad/good, when in fact game was good/bad. Fill in blanks and erase as necessary and that's the whole thread.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
Sorry boss, only mega threads get any traction. Also

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Every review of Dragon Age 2 ever. Also the RockPaperShotgun review of New Vegas, which was completely dishonest and intentionally chose bad pictures as proof of the game world feeling empty and unrealistic.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2010/10/21/wot-i-think-fallout-new-vegas/

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

popular game everyone liked.. turns out... was bad :mrgw:

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
No one actually reads reviews. Please don't encourage people to start, op.

BattleHamster
Mar 18, 2009

Big Scary Owl posted:

What game reviews have you read/watched that said things that were blatantly untrue about a game? (Bonus points if these bad reviews put people off the game in question)

---------------

Here are some excerpts from IGN's Dragon Ball Z Infinite World review (emphasis mine):

Basically the game has the same fighting mechanics as Dragon Ball Z Budokai 3, a great game that is definitely not about button mashing. He also complains about how the game doesn't tell him what to do on missions, when there is a menu that you can enter after choosing a mission that tells you what to do :downs:

OP, you seem to be confusing lies with opinion.

This is easy to do when you don't agree with the opinion, but none of the things you pointed out in that review were lies.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
reviews no

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
In Super Mario brothers you play as the master chief and your mission is to stop 9/11 before it happens by going back in time and killing osama bin laden

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

PantsBandit posted:

In Super Mario brothers you play as the master chief and your mission is to stop 9/11 before it happens by going back in time and killing osama bin laden

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!
MonsterW21Faces said that All Points bulletin would continue running and be awesome and be amazing (This was back in the days before it shutdown)

People got so mad/lame that they bought a banner ad condeming him and saying "HE LIED TO GAMERS"

It was pretty funny

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

The real answer is all of them

• Locked thread