Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

It's Big Daddy's year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fsmhunk
Jul 19, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I got a good feeling about sting this time, guys.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

Edge & Christian posted:

Koji Kanemoto (1999). As someone who paid no attention to Japan at the time, who is that?

Was a cool junior wrestler for a long time in NJPW. Think he got mad when YUKES sold it to Bushiroad, and quit the company over it. Not 100% on that, but I remember hearing it. Went to W1 and beat up a fan. Got fired. Now wrestles in BJW.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END
The most decorated tag team in the history of wrestling is not only not going to make it in, but probably gets dropped from the ballot after this year. Are the Von Brauners not a slam dunk? Did Dave ever do a long writeup on them? I feel like I vaguely remember something.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
if it's not Brock and Yuji Nagata I will be very surprised

edit: oh and ultimo guerrero

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Lid posted:

if it's not Brock and Yuji Nagata I will be very surprised

edit: oh and ultimo guerrero

Nagata didn't fare too well last year, did he? I'm guessing headlining the company during a down period is doing him no favors.

It's going to be very interesting to see how the new ballot entries fare. NQQ and ChampJulius have sold me on CIMA but I'm skeptical on his chances.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

HulkaMatt posted:

Was a cool junior wrestler for a long time in NJPW. Think he got mad when YUKES sold it to Bushiroad, and quit the company over it. Not 100% on that, but I remember hearing it. Went to W1 and beat up a fan. Got fired. Now wrestles in BJW.

IIRC he also had disagreements with Choshu over the booking.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

HulkaMatt posted:

Went to W1 and beat up a fan. Got fired.

Wait what?

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

I don't know any info other than he beat up a fan and Wrestle-1 was forced to fire him.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
This is the entirety I could find from the Observer archives. Oct. 6, 2014:

"Koji Kanemoto was fired. He had beaten up a fan and it was such that there was no other decision that could be made."

I did find this fun story from the Rudy Reyna obituary in the May 4, 2015 issue:

"He (Reyna) was brought into pro wrestling by Hall of Famer Rene Guajardo. Because he (Reyna) was gay, Guajardo told him that there would be wrestlers who would try and bully him and that he had to fight back and establish a reputation early, or it would never end. Legend had it that he, early in his career, got into a fight with Villano I backstage, and got the better of it, which established his reputation. Even in the early 90s, when Koji Kanemoto was in AAA as Tiger Mask, frustrated about having to work with the Exoticos given his New Japan background, he started working real stiff with Escarlata. Reyna came in and worked rough with Tiger Mask, and Kanemoto calmed down from there."

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..
That's funny since Fujiwara of all people clearly had a blast working the exoticos that came to New Japan:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fc60lQ3xVDw

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

I think I remember reading that now. I do remember him roughing up CIMA and Don Fujii when NJPW brought them in for a show in 2000.

Funny, since IIRC Danielson praised him for being a really safe worker in an interview many moons ago.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I don't understand why June Byers doesn't make it in.

Does anybody have a link to the old thread where many interesting things were said (and sourced) regarding Sting and Luger?

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Halloween Jack posted:

I don't understand why June Byers doesn't make it in.

Does anybody have a link to the old thread where many interesting things were said (and sourced) regarding Sting and Luger?

If you mean mine, I actually just dug it up because this thread made me want to reread that stuff. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3570076

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

oatgan posted:

i think CIMA is the most interesting of the new candidates because he propped DG up on his back for an incredibly long time and almost single handedly established it as the #2 promotion in japan but i'm sure not quite quinten has actual numbers there and cares about this much more deeply than i do

sorry i just saw this thread now.

For those who actually are going to do research on the ballots, CIMA is an interesting case. There are a couple of angles that people can either build a case for him or dismiss him. A lot of it is a referendum of Dragon Gate as a promotion. Years ago, Dragon Gate was very dependent on him being in the main event and now it's at the same health as it was at its height when he was the ace (99-13). Tanahashi hasn't been a formal ace that long!

If you are numbers guy, he's basically taken a would be ultimo dragon vanity promotion ala onita and sasuke and made it the sustainable number two in a continent and arguably the number five promotion in the world. it's still not the level of noah/all japan and not much bigger than ecw when you consider it's penetration around the country.

He still puts out regularly 3.5-4 star matches. If DG had better iPPV/Streaming for the west, I'd assume Dave would have better coverage of that which influences voters. He wrestles a style that a lot of older voters don't care for at all.

If you want to look at his influence consider the gaijins he has been a mentor to: Neville, Sydal, Ricochet, Swann, Uhaa/Crews and even guys like Owens and Zayn for short . Neville and Ricochet especially regard Dragon Gate as the place where they improved the most in their career.

There are also going to be voters who look at Hamada and Sasuke aren't in the Hall of Fame that CIMA shouldn't be because Lucharesu wasn't a mainstream vein of wrestling.

I went into researching CIMA thinking I was going to build a case for him being a Hall of Famer, but at this point I keep on going back to the belief that this is going to be a referendum as Dragon Gate as a promotion. If that happens, I don't think he's going to stay on the ballot past this year.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
FREE DAVE BROWN

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

NickRoweFillea posted:

FREE DAVE BROWN

I overpaid :(

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..
Found out today that Fujiwara has never been on the ballot :psyduck:

DynamiteKidd
Jun 11, 2015

by Shine
I don't know a ton about WONHoF voting but I definitely think CIMA will have a hard time getting enough votes to stay on the ballot.

I mean I know nobody mostly known for ECW ever had a prayer, there's a definite stigma against guys from non-major promotions, at least after the territories (although I'm surprised Junkyard Dog isn't in, is that just people going against him as a worker because he was really not good? He was definitely a draw in Mid-South)

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

CIMA deserves it more than Sting, Punk, Lesnar, maybe Bryan, AJ right now, and arguably Nakamura.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

I'd say CIMA definitely deserves a better look than Nakamura. Nakamura wasn't the guy he is now for a long time.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

nakamura will get in easily if he keeps going at this rate for a couple more years and especially if he gets another run with the world title that doesn't tank business

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

HulkaMatt posted:

I'd say CIMA definitely deserves a better look than Nakamura. Nakamura wasn't the guy he is now for a long time.

If AJ didn't get in for having a bunch of good matches in a promotion full of stables and weird matches why should CIMA?

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

MassRafTer posted:

If AJ didn't get in for having a bunch of good matches in a promotion full of stables and weird matches why should CIMA?

He was the booker as well wasn't he?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

KungFu Grip posted:

He was the booker as well wasn't he?

If we're getting into ego tripping on this ballot it is hard to knock CIMA when we have Daniel Bryan the guy who couldn't drop a belt clean if he had Spic and Span.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

DynamiteKidd posted:

although I'm surprised Junkyard Dog isn't in, is that just people going against him as a worker because he was really not good? He was definitely a draw in Mid-South

Dave loathed JYD and trashed him constantly in the newsletter (Junkfood Dog was his nickname for him). That's probably had a huge influence.

Abrasive Obelisk
May 2, 2013

I joined th
ROVPACK IN THE HOOUUUUSE!
:vince:
he still knows...

MassRafTer posted:

If we're getting into ego tripping on this ballot it is hard to knock CIMA when we have Daniel Bryan the guy who couldn't drop a belt clean if he had Spic and Span.

What do you mean?

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

he vacated the WWE and IC titles REFUSING to put anybody over in the process and wouldn't even let Sheamus pin him without a banana peel distraction at Wrestlemania

he also won the PWG world title on his last match on the company instead of letting Chris Hero put someone new over with his very long title run

loving politician daniel bryan

DynamiteKidd
Jun 11, 2015

by Shine

Fauxhawk Express posted:

Dave loathed JYD and trashed him constantly in the newsletter (Junkfood Dog was his nickname for him). That's probably had a huge influence.

I guess if you look at a guy's body of work as a whole, his ability to draw, his influence, and his in-ring performance, JYD isn't exactly the total package, but he was really goddamn huge in Mid-South and incredibly over both there and in the WWF.

Eh, if I was running a wrestling HoF he'd be an obvious inclusion IMO. Then again I'd say the same about Malenko and he's a no-hoper for the Newsletter Hall since he was never on top anywhere and famously lacks charisma

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Carrying a company for a decade and helping found the modern high flying style is bigger than being perpetually squandered by a company for a decade, though now that I think about it both AJ and CIMA were influential in the early 2000s high flying scene.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

MassRafTer posted:

Because CIMA''s fed can draw in a decent sized building for major shows and seems to actuallly be in the black?

Thauros fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Sep 16, 2015

DynamiteKidd
Jun 11, 2015

by Shine
is New Japan drawing badly or do you think he was talking about TNA

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

DynamiteKidd posted:

The latter, as his TNA record is what he had to stand on when he fell off the balllot the first time. . I'm a tad worried at some of the early G-1 and recent Korakuen gates as a huge NJPW fan but AJ's drawn well on top for big shows as Invasion Attack (first big show not headlined by one of the native big 3 in forever) and Dominion (sold out a big arena unlike the mediocre to bad showings in Yokohama and Seibu last year) indicate.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

DynamiteKidd posted:

New Japan isn't selling out Korakuens anymore. DG had one during the recent huge rainstorm: Super No Vacancy Sell Out where the fire marshall made them take in less standing room tickets.

MassRafTer posted:

AJ doesn't nearly have the level of influence and hasn't had the longevity?

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice
I'm real interested to see how los misioneros hold up. arguably they are the most influential and changed their continent forever with their pioneering the trios match.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

oatgan posted:

he vacated the WWE and IC titles REFUSING to put anybody over in the process and wouldn't even let Sheamus pin him without a banana peel distraction at Wrestlemania

he also won the PWG world title on his last match on the company instead of letting Chris Hero put someone new over with his very long title run

loving politician daniel bryan

"Big Sexy" Daniel Bryan

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!
Raw doing 2.4s with Sting in the main event doesn't bode well for him getting in.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

tzirean posted:

If you mean mine, I actually just dug it up because this thread made me want to reread that stuff. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3570076
Thanks!

I still don't get why June Byers doesn't get in. She wrestled a lot and held the championship for a long time.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

dsriggs posted:

Raw doing 2.4s with Sting in the main event doesn't bode well for him getting in.

Brother next year when they're doing 1.8s, 2.4 is going to sound great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END
I'm curious about Volk Han, so I googled, and I found this writeup. Haven't read past a few paragraphs, but it's started to get pretty interesting. I didn't realize he had a reputation as possibly the best shoot-style wrestler ever, or at least in the RINGS organization.

http://www.f4wonline.com/more/more-top-stories/102-japan/38835-2014-hall-of-fame-candidate-profile-volk-han

Anyone have an Volk Han knowledge to drop?

• Locked thread