Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Zane Bresloff should be in the Hall of Fame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Edge is the strongest US candidate and I don't think it's close at this point.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Abrasive Obelisk posted:

With Batista as a solid-

Wait, why Edge over Batista?

Better worker, while not the draw Batista was at his peak was a very consistent house show draw with some good PPVs thrown in. I am a huge Batista fan but his time as a big draw was short and while he's underrated in the ring he'd never ever get in as a worker.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Abrasive Obelisk posted:

Sure, but would Batista's drawing power + work + influence beyond wrestling help his case?

Influence beyond wrestling isn't really a consideration. It might be for some people but Dave shoots it down when it comes up in the Big Daddy case. Batista's drawing power helps but his work doesn't really help his case. He's better than a Hogan or Konnan but he's below most guys in the Hall. Edge on the other hand is in the upper tier when it comes to match quality. I don't put a lot of stock in the number of four star matches a guy (this is frequently cited in Edge's case) but I think his body of work is really impressive.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

oatgan posted:

iirc it's wrestlers that overwhelmingly vote for edge

man this list is barely complete

But it is definitive proof what trash workers Volk Han and the Sharpes were.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Daniel Bryan posted:

Which is one of the dumber things about this hall of fame really. Drawing is an aspect of candidacy, not the deciding factor but seems to be so heavily weighed in the eyes of voters. Probably because it can be objective. But the era we're in now, it's more subjective than ever as to what is the draw. Especially in WWE.

Great draws, but bad workers get in. Not great draws, but great workers struggle to. They shouldn't based on the criteria, but they do. Because subjectivity.

Bryan has net positives in the influence and draw categories, but his strength and what ultimately will get him in is his work. If you looked at his working resume and there were no other aspects of candidacy, he's a slam dunk and probably the strongest US candidate.

For a bad worker to get in they have to be a historic level draw. There's probably as many workrate candidates in as drawing.

Edge & Christian posted:

I know it's not *just* supposed to be drawing power, but the idea that Edge is questionable as a draw next to other inductees (Angle, Benoit, Guerrero, Mysterio, Jericho) seems weird to me. I know that all of those people worked outside of the WWE, and Angle was (briefly) a draw on top at TNA. I assume Mysterio is/was a draw in Mexico, but did any of the other three really work on top/in money drawing angles outside of WWE? I'd give the edge to all of them (except maybe Jericho) in terms of in-ring performance at their peaks, but Edge is still miles ahead of Sting or Warrior or whatever other borderline guy of years past.

Is there a limited number of votes you can turn in each year? I'm kind of surprised Punk got as low as he did, though I could probably be convinced he's not deserving. Bryan seems to be sort of the more perfect example of the Punk candidacy, in that you could argue they were never a long-term main event draw in WWE, but they had a big headlining body of work in the indies where they drew about as much money as any has been able to demonstrably draw in that setting, then performed about as well as anyone can do in the modern WWE system, all while performing at a high quality level. Bryan had less time on top in WWE, but his indie work blows away Punk's in terms of breadth and depth.

Rey Mysterio almost single handedly made WWE a dominant force in Mexico, and then when his career was derailed by injuries WWE's fortunes in Mexico were derailed. Benoit headlined one of the biggest WMs of all time (debatable who drew that number) but is pure workrate. Jericho is mostly workrate. Angle got in before he was ever in TNA and I doubt anyone would consider that. Angle has some decent drawing chops but his use as a comedy guy hurt that later on. Eddy was a pretty poor draw.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

HulkaMatt posted:

I'd say CIMA definitely deserves a better look than Nakamura. Nakamura wasn't the guy he is now for a long time.

If AJ didn't get in for having a bunch of good matches in a promotion full of stables and weird matches why should CIMA?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

KungFu Grip posted:

He was the booker as well wasn't he?

If we're getting into ego tripping on this ballot it is hard to knock CIMA when we have Daniel Bryan the guy who couldn't drop a belt clean if he had Spic and Span.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

mariooncrack posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUXQ20UGqCs

One of the best MMA fighters (at the time) vs. the best shoot style wrestlers

I don't really know much about Volk Han either besides he was one of the best shoot style wrestlers.

You meant to say (of all time.)

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Hoping Col James McLaughlin made it in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Spermgod posted:

There's clearly many people voting in the Mexico category that have no business doing so.

Not sure if there's a good argument for Nakamura getting in before Taue and Akiyama.

Both guys are failures as draws and Taue is looked upon as not being that good.

NotQuiteQuentin posted:

i can't get super angry but i'm surprised that american treasure karl stern didn't get william muldoon in as much as he was banding about it.

Misionerios not getting in after POPULARIZING THE TRIOS MATCH always befuddles me.

but hey, I expected CIMA to get dropped off the ballot and he stays on for another year!

He said he's not sending in his proposal until next year.

• Locked thread