Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.

UCS Hellmaker posted:

Did you know that when it does happen it will fire on you? And never stop?

Wait really? This has never happened when I'm just moving into a station that's already hostile. Or do you mean your wanted status suddenly gets carried over from an adjacent system/territory?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Happy Anniversary!

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Danger - Octopus! posted:

Saw a post on the frontier forums from some huffy idiot saying it was rubbish you could see orbital lines and lock on to unexplored planets. He seemed to think that having to identify planets in a system by watching for movement against the other stellar objects would be better gameplay.
It's sort of zen doing that, but I'm glad the disco scanners exist.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Decided I am going to fly my Cutter to Colonia instead of waiting around for the aliens. :downs:

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters

That's very cool.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Knifegrab posted:

This too.

How would it negatively effect people who play solo?

Hey here I am again to bring up the whole issue a lot of people seem to not get with Elite ready here it goes:

INSTANCING

Because the game instances you, as an open-only player, will still never see most people because the game will instance you away from most other people based on raw numbers.
Because of this you can not tell if influence in the BGS was done with people in solo or in open because there is zero difference between the two as far as you are concerned.
Frontier could say tomorrow 'ok we made it so solo players don't influence the BGS' and change nothing and you'd never know. If you are out hunting for a specific person and you never see them but you know for sure they are playing the game, you can't tell if they are in a solo instance or a different multiplayer instance because there is gently caress-all of a difference.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Knifegrab posted:

Why do you care? You only want the benefits of open but no possible negative? Play private group then.

I do all three!

Also by your logic, meeting people is a negative? Are you a hermit?

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

vorebane posted:

That's very cool.

Note the station going full-out murderspaz after the Asp jumps out.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Drake_263 posted:

Note the station going full-out murderspaz after the Asp jumps out.
It always gets a chuckle out of me.
Beta Dahan Gateway was really 'special' :allears:

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

zooted heh posted:

why don't they make all payouts in open like 30% more? Sure if you wana fart around in a private server or solo and avoid the player base you can but by making open more profitable I think more people would join in.

Like so many other aspects of the game, frontier has no interest in good game design at all. They are making a space game that caters to a very specific form of nerd-autist that actively hates and despises the idea of the game being streamlined, easy to understand, or appeal to anyone other than within their bubble.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

radintorov posted:

It always gets a chuckle out of me.
Beta Dahan Gateway was really 'special' :allears:
Dahan Gateway didn't need no stinkin' lasers to gently caress your poo poo up!

timn
Mar 16, 2010

I'm reminded of when I got my first 144hz monitor and turned all the graphics settings to rock bottom for butter-smooth framerates while using headtracking. For a fun time try turning supersampling down below ×1.

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

asp_infront_of_things.iff

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
I love Star Citizen, and all it's craziness
GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA
College Slice

That station spaz is amazing, and reminds me of some of the old POSs in eve that would randomly turn SKYNET and loving wreck the owners and anyone who dared venture close.

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
College Slice

Drake_263 posted:

It depends entirely on the systems you're in. The systems immediately around the starting system see plenty of traffic, and places like Zaonce and Eravate do, too, mostly from the 84'er crowd thanks to them being famous from the previous games. Certain engineers like Felicity Farseer tend to see a lot of traffic, too, since everyone wants FSD upgrades at some point. Wherever the current community goals are end up hotspots, too, of course. Aside from that, though, the universe is just such a vast place that you're not that likely to run into anyone unless they're actively trying to track you down.

When I had my issues with getting randomly murdered, it was right around the time ED hit steam, so there was a moderate sized influx of new players, and the starting system was pretty heavily trafficked. Plenty of new blood for gankers to get their murder on with.

I've thought about going open and running around in Diamond Frog space, but never really bothered to jack with it. I did see a station that was owned? by Diamond Frogs. Wondered if it was actually the group, or a coincidence.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

Hobold posted:

That station spaz is amazing, and reminds me of some of the old POSs in eve that would randomly turn SKYNET and loving wreck the owners and anyone who dared venture close.

randomfag: hey what's a friendly tower in qy6
facialimpediment: 6-24 is a friendly tower in qy6
facialimpediment: though it does tend to shoot blues
zastrow: hold on there
zastrow: sure 6-24 is goonfleet
zastrow: but it sure isn't friendly

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

Drake_263 posted:

*station ppaz*

That actually reminded me of when Big Harry's just started firing all its guns during our grand re-opening palladium cloud event.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqT2hTQg2AY&t=20s
:toot:

Alehkhs fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Sep 22, 2017

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Well, I'm sold.

ModernSociety
Jul 12, 2017

Knifegrab posted:

Not sure why they don't just decouple open, and solo. I mean wouldn't that make everyone happy?

What happens when the two game states diverge? Let's say the current CGs pass at the max tier in open, but fail completely in solo/PG, there would be a knock on effect that FD would have to maintain, lest they incur the fury of one side, for 'abandoning' them. The two games would move further and further away from each other.

It would happen on a smaller scale in the BGS too, factions would almost immediately take on different jurisdictions, meaning anything related to the territorial state of the game that FD wanted to do, would have to make sense in two totally different iterations of the galaxy.

Hobold posted:

When I had my issues with getting randomly murdered, it was right around the time ED hit steam, so there was a moderate sized influx of new players, and the starting system was pretty heavily trafficked. Plenty of new blood for gankers to get their murder on with.

I've played open pretty much exclusively since 1.1, and I can honestly say I've only seen a handful of assholes. As long as you always have an exit strategy for whatever you are doing, it's pretty easy to get away in the grand majority of ambush situations.

ModernSociety fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Sep 22, 2017

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

ModernSociety posted:

What happens when the two game states diverge? Let's say the current CGs pass at the max tier in open, but fail completely in solo/PG, there would be a knock on effect that FD would have to maintain, lest they incur the fury of one side, for 'abandoning' them. The two games would move further and further away from each other.

It would happen on a smaller scale in the BGS too, factions would almost immediately take on different jurisdictions, meaning anything related to the territorial state of the game that FD wanted to do, would have to make sense in two totally different iterations of the galaxy.

Good point

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
College Slice

ModernSociety posted:

I've played open pretty much exclusively since 1.1, and I can honestly say I've only seen a handful of assholes. As long as you always have an exit strategy for whatever you are doing, it's pretty easy to get away in the grand majority of ambush situations.

Yeah, I had no idea what the gently caress I was doing. I even completely cocked up trying to fight interdiction the first couple times. If I went back to open now, I'd likely be fine and happy, I just can't be bothered. I don't see a point and doing CGs has been nice and peaceful.

I can also just afk at a nav beacon and not have to worry about dying, at least as long as my hold is empty.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug
Finally did it.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Mike the TV posted:

Finally did it.

Keep flying forward.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFl4uQR9cVk
Buddy with the same problem illistrating this wonderful bug

ModernSociety
Jul 12, 2017

Mike the TV posted:

Finally did it.

Nice job CMDR. An impressive feat in a sidey.

Planning on heading back to the bubble, or are you traveling onwards from there?

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

ModernSociety posted:

Nice job CMDR. An impressive feat in a sidey.

Planning on heading back to the bubble, or are you traveling onwards from there?

I don't think I have the patience yet to get to Beagle Point.... It's more than doubling the journey. Besides, I figure I'll get Exploration Elite even if I head straight back. The end goal is triple Elite without ever leaving the Sidewinder.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

I've been doing the road to riches, and have been popping into stations periodically to see how much I'd made so far. In my first few stops I made 4 million, the next ten or so I made 13 million. Some of the systems are worth over a million each, making this far and away a more efficient cash cow than space trucking or space tour guiding. Maybe combat is faster? I haven't really tried mining.

Inspector Hound fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Sep 22, 2017

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Road to riches is a great way to make money and grind exploration to elite but it gets so boring with so many visits to the galaxy map and just following the list. I made 100m in a couple days by doing a long range (26kly) passenger mission by just honking each system while scooping and moving on, and then taking neutron stars back.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

One of the coolest subtle things about heading to colonia (or the core) is watching the slow progression of star density. I've been skirting up the galactic arm instead of taking the straight path there. Hit up a nebula and stuck my name on a couple planets in it, and slowly progressing there.

I almost instead want to head back to the main checkpoints because it sounds cool to hit those remote outposts in the black on the way to Colonia.

One of those times I sit here like "why do I love this boring weird game so much?" but in a good way.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

I did fly out to the coalsack nebula to confirm that starts get blotted out (they do, I think?) but i got distracted before I got it to the barnards loop/orion/horsehead area to see if space turns orange or pink, or to see the dense group of stars there.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Inspector Hound posted:

I did fly out to the coalsack nebula to confirm that starts get blotted out (they do, I think?) but i got distracted before I got it to the barnards loop/orion/horsehead area to see if space turns orange or pink, or to see the dense group of stars there.

It does

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKC1kSUtfIw

The video is from Gamma, before the game was out out and there was no free camera. You were locked into your FPS view unfortunately. Also someone in the comments said that the dark regions are now closed off? :iiam:

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

I'd loooove it if we had Stuff To Do in a nebula. Homeworld and HOTDS are gorgeous in part because of their nebula skyboxes.
Alas, it's darkness for us.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Sixto Lezcano posted:

I'd loooove it if we had Stuff To Do in a nebula. Homeworld and HOTDS are gorgeous in part because of their nebula skyboxes.
Alas, it's darkness for us.

The asteroid bases are all positioned with a cool nebula nearby: head out to one and grind missions or whatever!

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
Also speaking of station spazzes, friendly reminder that the first time Frontier had a capital ship hanging around near a station, the station accidentally hit the capship with a laser while shooting at a criminal, the capital ship returned fire, and the station naturally returned the favor.

They fluffed the whole thing in-universe as their respective automated defense systems having a glitch.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Just bought my first Type 9, and the ability to cart 480 tons of cargo around per trip really makes a difference. :stare:

Breetai fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Sep 23, 2017

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Inspector Hound posted:

Speaking of which, since I haven't been there in over a year, is the loop and Orion and all that still locked up behind a wall of permit-required systems or can you go there agan? I was doing the rounds back there when I was suddenly booted back towards the bubble as the wall went up and if/when I ever get back to civilisation, it would be nice to continue that trip.i

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Tippis posted:

Speaking of which, since I haven't been there in over a year, is the loop and Orion and all that still locked up behind a wall of permit-required systems or can you go there agan? I was doing the rounds back there when I was suddenly booted back towards the bubble as the wall went up and if/when I ever get back to civilisation, it would be nice to continue that trip.i

I am just back from Orion and there are still a bunch of restrictions around the loop.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
[quote="“Breetai”" post="“476678098”"]
Just bought my first Type 9, and the ability to cart 480 tons of cargo around per trip really makes a difference. :stare:

[/quote]

Now imagine almost doubling that with the iCutter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Breetai posted:

You monster

• Locked thread