Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

DreadLlama posted:

https://eddb.io/system?u=1&g=16&p=2&o=16
https://eddb.io/system?u=1&g=16&p=3&o=16

True space grognards have a dedicated second monitor for Eddb.io. It is awesome.

I play in VR and have an app called V that gives me a movable window inside my VR environment that has a web browser. It is perfect for this and youtube.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Khablam posted:

Just stick poo poo on there mate its not too hard.
Biweave / hull tank works OK.

This is what I used, or close to it - https://eddp.co/u/ADZXA1wt

Idea was just to fly the fighter, swap back once in a while to launch a limpet and collect materials for engineers. 4 limpets+lasers lets you stay out a while. Turrets because it's slow and helps your npc shoot non-stop.
Not a lot of point in a SCB as the NPC doesn't use them well, but will usually back off if they lose shields.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

jubjub64 posted:

I was in solo tonight and saw a ship piloted by a "LOWTAX". Is there a developer connection to SA?

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Backers could name NPCs. I've killed Chris Roberts a few times in Elite: Dangerous. :woop:

I usually let Lowtax go. :shrug:

I've shot Twilight Sparkle and Derpy Hooves down a couple of times by now. And rammed the poo poo out of Chris Roberts in my T9HV one time.

Re: Pythons and hardpoint sizes, remember that certain types of weapons 'swing above' their actual class. Things like missiles, torpedoes, PACs and heavy cannons are pretty much designed to present a credible threat to larger vessels even from C2 mounts.

Personally, my Python has a pair of fixed C3 burst lasers for primary all-purpose guns, a C3 PAC under the chin for big fat heavy targets, and a pair of C2 seeker racks. Even with engine mods she's not exactly the most nimble thing out there, and seekers are perfect for crippling a vital subsystem on a tough target or slapping some evasive little bastard senseless.

Mr. WTF
Jun 12, 2003

I DON'T GET JOKES

TipsyMcStagger posted:

Can anyone explain why you would use a turret over gimballed? I know you can set them to forward, fire at will, and something else but what benefit they have? Can they shoot backwards?

Yeah...I have a general purpose anaconda, but it's somewhat fitted for bounties. The engines are modded so I can move faster than typical, but I'm still outmaneuvered by most things. I have I think 4 turreted pulse lasers, and then 3 gimbaled multicannons (including the huge hardpoint)...maybe more, can't recall. But the value of constant fire being applied from the pulses, almost no matter where the enemy is, is enormous. It takes their shields down and KEEPS them down while we are maneuvering (and reliably tick the hull down between multi-cannon strafes). They are very effective, and for me, on that kind of loadout, their constant hits more than make up for the damage reduction they have from being turrets. I doubt I'd use them on a vulture or something though where I'd always be in a position to get the shots I wanted.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
I have a friend who tried very hard to convince me the Vulture was a Bad Ship because his armament of choice for it was a pair of turreted beam lasers. At C2.

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Put the boots to him, medium style.

Hair Elf
I don't recommend flying a "general purpose" build. Build the ship to do a particular job. Remember: ship modules are like legos, they are hilariously interchangeable, and you can store up to 60 of them in your garage. I have a fully fit combat conda. Engineered to the gills. But it's also my best cargo hauler, so if if I need to haul freight, I store the fighter bay, SCBs, HRPs and dictor and slap in some cargo bays. It can still carry 400+ tons, and as an added bonus, it can roflstomp anything that tries to pull it over, since it's still fully armed and heavily shielded. It just lacks the combat endurance that it would normally have. None of that matters especially when you're just hauling freight.

It only takes about 5 minutes to switch loadouts from full on CZ/Copbrawl combat to (heavily armed) freighter.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

I don't recommend flying a "general purpose" build. Build the ship to do a particular job. Remember: ship modules are like legos, they are hilariously interchangeable, and you can store up to 60 of them in your garage. I have a fully fit combat conda. Engineered to the gills. But it's also my best cargo hauler, so if if I need to haul freight, I store the fighter bay, SCBs, HRPs and dictor and slap in some cargo bays. It can still carry 400+ tons, and as an added bonus, it can roflstomp anything that tries to pull it over, since it's still fully armed and heavily shielded. It just lacks the combat endurance that it would normally have. None of that matters especially when you're just hauling freight.

It only takes about 5 minutes to switch loadouts from full on CZ/Copbrawl combat to (heavily armed) freighter.

Look at this spacepleb who doesn't have a hull for every roll... :sun:

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Hair Elf

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Look at this spacepleb who doesn't have a hull for every roll... :sun:

I'm too lazy to grind out the rep for a cutter. And the anaconda does more damage than the Corvette, so that's out too. I guess I could buy another conda hull but :effort:

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

I'm too lazy to grind out the rep for a cutter. And the anaconda does more damage than the Corvette, so that's out too. I guess I could buy another conda hull but :effort:

You're in luck, I heard a Sidewinder is functionally identical to an Anaconda

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

lemonadesweetheart posted:

Just saying but you can get equally good rewards for non-criminal passenger missions. From my limited experience the reward doesn't seem to be based on the foibles of whatever gimp you're taxiing around.

I ended up doing another one and had no problems. I did ping off the slot on my way in but I didn't use silent running, I just boosted through both on my way out and back in and didn't experience any issues. I'm mostly just taking missions for rep so I can start getting navy missions. If there's a better way to get rep I'd like to know because I'm still pretty new. I built a combat viper last night to try out some massacre missions (I tried one with the asp and while I completed it, I was limping back to the station) but haven't actually taken it out yet.

Money seems pretty easy to come by so I have just been experimenting with different loadouts and my plan is to go the long distance routes (and passenger missions) in my asp and then ship the viper in if I need it.

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...

Khablam posted:

This is what I used, or close to it - https://eddp.co/u/ADZXA1wt

Idea was just to fly the fighter, swap back once in a while to launch a limpet and collect materials for engineers. 4 limpets+lasers lets you stay out a while. Turrets because it's slow and helps your npc shoot non-stop.
Not a lot of point in a SCB as the NPC doesn't use them well, but will usually back off if they lose shields.

Why wouldn't you let the npc fly the fighter?

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

TipsyMcStagger posted:

Why wouldn't you let the npc fly the fighter?

Because the Keelback has all the grace of a flung bowling ball in flight, paired with relatively thin shields and armor for a supposed hybrid combat ship. And the target profile of a freaking barn. It's better to let an NPC take it over and have them sit back and support, rather than watch the NPC have all the fun in a fighter while you sit with a thumb up your arse in the Keelback.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters
How soon after being hit does a shield or biweave shield start recharging again?

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...
So I took that keelback out in a high res site and had an absolute blast for an hour and a half.. got up to ~3 million credits in bounties for the CG of KAAL system.

That's when my turret shot something it shouldn't have when I was "assisting" in a fight and I lasted a whole 3 seconds in the middle of those police cruisers...

Is there anyway besides untargetting to stop turrets from firing? I turned my turret mode into "Fire at target"

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

"Fire at target" does just that.
It's better to stay a bit above or below the rocks so you can each mass lock before dying.

Moochewmoo
May 13, 2009
Is trading that boring? I don't find exploration super compelling and while combat missions that make 200k is cool and all it either feels like 1 target turkey fight or 2 ships rip me to shreds. Finding goods and exploiting market short falls really doesn't sound to terrible.

If it's not apparent I'm newbie as all poo poo.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

TipsyMcStagger posted:

So I took that keelback out in a high res site and had an absolute blast for an hour and a half.. got up to ~3 million credits in bounties for the CG of KAAL system.

That's when my turret shot something it shouldn't have when I was "assisting" in a fight and I lasted a whole 3 seconds in the middle of those police cruisers...

Is there anyway besides untargetting to stop turrets from firing? I turned my turret mode into "Fire at target"

Chances are your turret didn't aim for an ally but one got in the line of fire. Target only helps but only so much you can do for allies floating into you LoF.

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.
I thought I read that they had stopped accidental friendly fire from giving you bounties?

Mu77ley
Oct 14, 2016

Dravs posted:

I thought I read that they had stopped accidental friendly fire from giving you bounties?

It depends. If you just glance of the shields then you just get a warning. If you actually do hull damage that's an instant bounty.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters

Moochewmoo posted:

Is trading that boring? I don't find exploration super compelling and while combat missions that make 200k is cool and all it either feels like 1 target turkey fight or 2 ships rip me to shreds. Finding goods and exploiting market short falls really doesn't sound to terrible.

I never did trading but your most effective way to make money in combat early to mid game is bounty hunting, hit up resource extraction sites near gas giants or nav points near stars.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Moochewmoo posted:

I'd say it's less boring than exploration (since landing and taking off is more interesting than scanning poo poo) but more boring than combat. If taking off, jumping a bunch and landing sounds like a ton of fun to you, trading is the way to go!

Moochewmoo
May 13, 2009
Alright I'll give nav beacon camping a try. Any weapon or gear suggestions for a starter ship?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Mu77ley posted:

It depends. If you just glance of the shields then you just get a warning. If you actually do hull damage that's an instant bounty.

I think that's not really very well thought out, considering you could theoretically load up a ship with armor and poo poo instead of relying on a shield, and I'd imagine there could be some NPCs out like that, too. Getting instant bounties because you accidentally hit a police ship geared towards armor instead of shields sounds rather unfun.

If there aren't any NPC-loadouts like this, it's even worse because with this kind of thing now Frontier can't even introduce them without wreaking havoc among players everywhere. They've essentially programmed themselves into a trap.

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.

Moochewmoo posted:

Alright I'll give nav beacon camping a try. Any weapon or gear suggestions for a starter ship?

If in the sidewinder, 2 gimballed pulse is fine to tag targets that are being shot by the space cops.

If you can afford a Viper Mk3 then something like 2 small lasers and 2 medium MCs works pretty well. Just put the biggest shield you can afford onto it, and the biggest engines and power distributor. It's a very fun ship.

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.

Libluini posted:

I think that's not really very well thought out, considering you could theoretically load up a ship with armor and poo poo instead of relying on a shield, and I'd imagine there could be some NPCs out like that, too. Getting instant bounties because you accidentally hit a police ship geared towards armor instead of shields sounds rather unfun.

If there aren't any NPC-loadouts like this, it's even worse because with this kind of thing now Frontier can't even introduce them without wreaking havoc among players everywhere. They've essentially programmed themselves into a trap.

It's not even the bounty that I mind, it's the fact that instantly all of the cops in the instance will stop what they are doing and make a beeline for you. It's super dumb. If they just changed it to a fine instead of a bounty, it would make a lot more sense.

Dirty Frank
Jul 8, 2004

Moochewmoo posted:

If you're just starting, trading with some podcasts or whatever is low key satisfying fun. Just be honest with yourself when you feel like youre grinding and go do something else.

If you go bounty hunting in the smaller ships, stay close to the system authority's, your just helping them don't engage on your own.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

Dravs posted:

It's not even the bounty that I mind, it's the fact that instantly all of the cops in the instance will stop what they are doing and make a beeline for you. It's super dumb. If they just changed it to a fine instead of a bounty, it would make a lot more sense.

Or, you know, changed the cops' target prioritization so every mall cop in the sector won't immediately home in on you with your 200CR assault bounty over the half-a-mil-bounty enemy-of-society Anaconda that's actively trying to kill them right now.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

I wouldn't try suggesting nerfs to criminal flagging to the whiney player base.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Dravs posted:

Frontier probably modelled space cops after the cops in the USA :v:

Mu77ley
Oct 14, 2016

Libluini posted:

It's a pretty tricky programming problem though. How do you gauge player intent without adding a ton of potential exploits (just look at the issues that happened with griefers ramming people at stations)? At the end of the day it has to mostly come down to player skill and people needing to learn a bit of situational awareness and not becoming so target fixated so much that they mess up.

Mu77ley
Oct 14, 2016

Dravs posted:

Yes, that could do with being tweaked a bit. Maybe they could track the cumulative amount of time that a ship has been firing upon them to gauge threat. Might need some kind of multiplier based on weapon damage output though, otherwise you may get away scott free finishing off a cop with one final canon round, etc.

Mu77ley
Oct 14, 2016

Libluini posted:

Frontier probably modelled space cops after the cops in the USA :v:

Well, there is a death sentence for parking violations, so could be. ;)

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore
Remember diaper sniper? You can steal and murder all day and they'll ignore you. But you shoot one cop: statewide manhunt.

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...
I'm almost 100% sure it was from the chaff turret scramble, starts wildly shooting everywhere. It just sucks that I can't just click my fire button again to stop shooting. I have to drop target.

Question: anyone got a breakdown of different fighters?
And does my fighter keep attacking the target when I drop it off I ordered that fighter to defend then attack target

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

TipsyMcStagger posted:

I'm almost 100% sure it was from the chaff turret scramble, starts wildly shooting everywhere. It just sucks that I can't just click my fire button again to stop shooting. I have to drop target.

Question: anyone got a breakdown of different fighters?
And does my fighter keep attacking the target when I drop it off I ordered that fighter to defend then attack target

Once a fighter's target is destroyed, it resets back to 'defend'. Ordering a fighter to attack target once won't make it constantly target whatever you're targeting, if that's what you're worried about.

I haven't actually done an in-depth examination of the fighters yet, but here's what I've found so far:

Gutamaya GU-97 Imperial Fighter: Infuriating little poo poo. Super fast, super nimble. Drifts like a motherfucker and handles like a squirrel on meth. Tends to end up in an uncontrollable spin off you bounce off something at high speed. It's got decent shields but a hull made out of glitter and unicorn farts. The speed and tiny size make for an incredibly frustrating target but is extra vulnerable to turrets - consider using one of the chaff-equipped variants.

Core Dynamics F63 Condor: The 'average' fighter. Still very fast and agile, but is almost twice as tough as the GU-97. A vicious little bastard that can deal a surprising amount of damage in a short time. Also the only fighter that can carry kinetic weapons - the Rogue-F with fixed multicannons can absolutely savage smaller ships, as long as somebody else downs their shields first. Used to have terrible dorsal thrusters, but Frontier fixed that some patches back.

Lakon Taipan: The big fat tank fighter. It's got the least agility and a bigger profile than the other two, but is also drat tough for its size. It's also got a gigantic afterburner; it's the slowest fighter in normal flight, but the fastest when it boosts. Visually, I feel it's the most interesting of the three; the variable geometry wings fold and unfold from a compact storage configuration when it docks and launches, and they also actually dynamically reconfigure based on your heat levels.

The GU-97 and Condor can be found in Imperial and Federal systems, respectively, while the Taipan is sold in independent and Alliance systems.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

The Taipan also sounds the best

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Taipan is the best in vr.

Always used a fixed beam version or plasma. You'll get yuge dps and with a bit of levelling your NPC pilot can use it consistently.
It's good training for yourself too.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
Also note that the heat sink launcher on the Gelid-something variants isn't for sneaking around; it's for yuuge damage spikes. Fighter heat sinks instantly refresh your weapon capacitor, letting you fire for full effect approximately twice as long before you overheat. Full power to weapons, beam lasers and a strategically deployed heat sink let you deal an obscene amount of damage in a short period.

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...
Do fighters have ammo? or are they unlimited?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Hair Elf
If they run out, you can just tell the fighter to dock and resupply/repair. Fighters carry magical weapons that are insanely strong compared to anything you could mount in a C1 hardpoint. The plasma repeaters are especially hilarious because they do absolute damage. Fitting a fighterbay is equivalent to adding like 15-30 DPS to your ship, depending on pilot skill.

• Locked thread