Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Yeah, it already drops down to 30 in stations and well below that in busy stations. Maybe for PS5 or if Sony decides to allow Pro-only VR support (and then I'd seriously consider upgrading).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
https://reddit.com/r/EliteDangerous/comments/7j07kh/will_anything_ever_be_done_about_combat_logging/

Combat logging continues to be the funniest thing you can do in Elite Dangerous.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

At times I've thought about taking meeping to the next level and pulling pvpers over just to logoffsky in front of them and wonder how many times it would take before I got a warning.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Boogalo posted:

At times I've thought about taking meeping to the next level and pulling pvpers over just to logoffsky in front of them and wonder how many times it would take before I got a warning.

I'd watch this video.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

I'd watch this video.

So would I.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

From the OP:

quote:

We are a PvE and PvP group. We like to mess with people (not kill them unless they do something that we feel warrants it). One of the ways we recruit new members to our group is by seeing who is a good sport about it and who gets sour.
...proceeds to make a thread about it on reddit starting with "for the love of GOD!", not sour at all.

Edit: I somehow ended up trading exactly 4000 tonnes for Diamond Frog CG.

Dwesa fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Dec 11, 2017

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Based on demand this new station is going to look like a giant intel processor.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

chaosapiant posted:

Based on demand this new station is going to look like a giant intel processor.

A Slot-1 Pentium II SECC

Plek
Jul 30, 2009
I dunno, I've delivered so many superconductors that I think we're actually building some sort of levitating train or hoverboard park or something.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug
Just in case anyone didn't know, Frontier is in the middle of a 24 hour livestream to gather donations for SpecialEffect, a charity that helps disabled people, in particular by giving them computer accessibility options and even games. Anyway, if you donate £6 you get a special Sidewinder paintjob, and ever £10 gets you a raffle ticket for a bunch of different prizes.

The fundraising page: https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/frontier-developments

The stream: https://www.twitch.tv/frontierdevelopments

Anyway I thought it was kind of cool, and they occasionally answer questions and and for every £1000 donated, they 'unlock' something. Some are spoilers for the upcoming season, some are just silly challenges.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

I'd watch this video.

Maybe once I get my dirty drives back.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Well, after puzzling around with the E:D map and reading parts of the manual, I've determined that I can't get my little starting ship down to the future Diamond Frogs home, it just doesn't have the jump range to leap from star to star to tug 6 tons of freight on over there.

But, it was an education trying to get to the skill level to figure out I couldn't do a thing. Not disappointed, though, since the the in-game tutorials look boring as hell and it's more fun to make it halfway to a chosen goal than a prescribed one. What's the function of this station of theirs going to be, anyway? Just a nominal hangout for some goon role players?

Gonna do a little combat grind this week and build me a better space truck.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

doctorfrog posted:

Well, after puzzling around with the E:D map and reading parts of the manual, I've determined that I can't get my little starting ship down to the future Diamond Frogs home, it just doesn't have the jump range to leap from star to star to tug 6 tons of freight on over there.

But, it was an education trying to get to the skill level to figure out I couldn't do a thing. Not disappointed, though, since the the in-game tutorials look boring as hell and it's more fun to make it halfway to a chosen goal than a prescribed one. What's the function of this station of theirs going to be, anyway? Just a nominal hangout for some goon role players?

Gonna do a little combat grind this week and build me a better space truck.

Have you considered/tried jumping in discord and seeing if any frogs want a tagalong fighter pilot for bounty hunting? It's fantastic fun, cooperative, you get paiiiiid and you learn a lot about combat in a totally free ship. I do it with friends sometime and it's pretty much as fun as this game gets in pve.

Duuk
Sep 4, 2006

Victorious, he returned to us, claiming that he had slain the drought where even Orlanth could not. The god-talkers were not sure what to make of this.

Boogalo posted:

Maybe once I get my dirty drives back.

Where did dirty drives go?

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Nice piece of fish posted:

Have you considered/tried jumping in discord and seeing if any frogs want a tagalong fighter pilot for bounty hunting? It's fantastic fun, cooperative, you get paiiiiid and you learn a lot about combat in a totally free ship. I do it with friends sometime and it's pretty much as fun as this game gets in pve.

Never thought of it, thanks for the suggestion. So I'd fly their fighter I assume? Which means I can teleport my brain into their ship and not have to fly my door stopper all the way over there. Sounds like a good idea.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

doctorfrog posted:

Never thought of it, thanks for the suggestion. So I'd fly their fighter I assume? Which means I can teleport my brain into their ship and not have to fly my door stopper all the way over there. Sounds like a good idea.

That's exactly it. The hosting player also gets a passive bonus just for having you on board, which makes murdertime even more efficient. Try it out, never hurts to ask and it's an early leg up to get you out of that Sidewinder, without you missing out on anything content/progressionwise.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Excited about the upcoming QoL changes to engineered modules? Frontier has heard your feedback and you will now have to roll G1-4 to upgrade a new module to G5 :laffo:

https://reddit.com/r/EliteDangerous/comments/7jad7f/on_the_24hour_live_stream_sandro_confirmed_each/

loving Sandro man. Can’t they send him to go gently caress up the new Jurassic Park IP?

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

I kinda understand the reasoning maybe. I think it's that you start at G1, go through each grade one at a time, and it can only ever get better. Every subsequent roll you do will only improve the stats making the good stats higher and the bad stats lower on your roll. So instead of having us roll randomly XX times you progress to G5 and roll it a few more times to push it a bit further toward the maximum?

That is if I am understanding the new engineering correctly, I have not followed it that closely since they originally announced the overhaul.

GuyonthecoucH
Apr 10, 2004

This better come with storage limits on engineering data and materials removed, it's bad enough as it is to keep space free with tools like edengineers.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

GuyonthecoucH posted:

This better come with storage limits on engineering data and materials removed, it's bad enough as it is to keep space free with tools like edengineers.

It's getting changed to a cap of 100 per material

Here's a thread with stuff: Elite Dangerous 2018 Roadmap [Regularly Updated]

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Excited about the upcoming QoL changes to engineered modules? Frontier has heard your feedback and you will now have to roll G1-4 to upgrade a new module to G5 :laffo:

https://reddit.com/r/EliteDangerous/comments/7jad7f/on_the_24hour_live_stream_sandro_confirmed_each/

loving Sandro man. Can’t they send him to go gently caress up the new Jurassic Park IP?

Sandro seems like that guy who thinks Project '99 is the height of game design.

Step 1. Make a game with no content
Step 2. Make a long rear end grind to hide Step 1.
Step 3. Assert that "challenging" is interchangeable with "time consuming" so when someone bitches about step 2 accuse them of wanting easy mode.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Xae posted:

Sandro seems like that guy who thinks Project '99 is the height of game design.

Step 1. Make a game with no content
Step 2. Make a long rear end grind to hide Step 1.
Step 3. Assert that "challenging" is interchangeable with "time consuming" so when someone bitches about step 2 accuse them of wanting easy mode.

He learned it from Braben.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Protip: roll at least level 4s of everything before the next patch. :sweatdrop:

Space Skeleton posted:

I kinda understand the reasoning maybe. I think it's that you start at G1, go through each grade one at a time, and it can only ever get better. Every subsequent roll you do will only improve the stats making the good stats higher and the bad stats lower on your roll. So instead of having us roll randomly XX times you progress to G5 and roll it a few more times to push it a bit further toward the maximum?

That is if I am understanding the new engineering correctly, I have not followed it that closely since they originally announced the overhaul.

I mean, that would make sense, yes. But you forgot that each material requires potentially hours of grind in order to get just 3 pieces. Now, instead of having to do three rolls for each level to max out the loyalty for the next rank, you will potentially have to do dozens per level in order to max out your grade, then wash-rinse-repeat up the ladder. What used to be 12 rolls to start maxxing out a module and get to grade 5 will likely now be more like 50-100 rolls to get to grade 5. That translates into a couple extra in-game days of mat-hunting in what was already a tedious, multi-day grind. It basically walls off PVP to everyone except the bitterest of bittervets or the most dedicated poopsockers.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Is the community goal over yet? I could do some beer runs tonight.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Blind Rasputin posted:

Is the community goal over yet? I could do some beer runs tonight.

Still up? https://community.elitedangerous.com/en/communitygoals

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

you will potentially have to do dozens per level in order to max out your grade

Why? I don't see that said anywhere.

If I have an engineer rep up to G5 already then under the coming overhaul it should be:
- Roll G1
- Roll G2
- Roll G3
- Roll G4
- Roll G5
- Keep rolling G5, with each roll improving the stats by a random amount until I am happy.

Seems like a lot fewer rolls than:
- Roll G5 200+ times fishing for a near perfect result.

Space Skeleton fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Dec 13, 2017

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I'm new to this game, what's all this rolling G's talk? Is it necessary to play the game to a basic level of enjoyment, or is it a thinly disguised way to keep long-term players busy with the same old grind?

I'll take my answer off the air (point me at an article).

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

doctorfrog posted:

I'm new to this game, what's all this rolling G's talk? Is it necessary to play the game to a basic level of enjoyment, or is it a thinly disguised way to keep long-term players busy with the same old grind?

I'll take my answer off the air (point me at an article).

You can visit engineers to modify your ship modules to alter their performance. Usually increasing one stat at the detriment of some others.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Ah, so like, typical MMO "crafting" gambling nonsense, occupying a space somewhere between being mildly useful and a complicated waste of time.

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

doctorfrog posted:

Ah, so like, typical MMO "crafting" gambling nonsense, occupying a space somewhere between being mildly useful and a complicated waste of time.

In this case they did the impossible. It is both incredibly useful AND a huge waste of time.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

doctorfrog posted:

It's more like space, a endless vacuum that sucks all the life out of the game.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

quote:

You will need to maximize benefits from an upgrade before you can start applying higher rank versions to a module. We still want to reward the process of upgrading modules

Oh what the gently caress Frontier.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Boogalo posted:

Looooooooool

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Boogalo posted:

Bleh, I see. Well, then it depends what they mean by "maximize" and how generous it is as each roll improves the result.

I'm still all for having each roll always be an improvement though. Totally random rolls is no good.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Space Skeleton posted:

Why? I don't see that said anywhere.

If I have an engineer rep up to G5 already then under the coming overhaul it should be:
- Roll G1
- Roll G2
- Roll G3
- Roll G4
- Roll G5
- Keep rolling G5, with each roll improving the stats by a random amount until I am happy.

Seems like a lot fewer rolls than:
- Roll G5 200+ times fishing for a near perfect result.

Because (as currently explained by the devs) you will have to max out each rank before it will let you progress to the next. So you have to roll an almost perfect G1 before it will let you roll a G2 and :lol: if you think FDev will have each roll be >30% better than the last...

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Boogalo posted:

I'm setting up a kickstarter to get this tattooed backwards onto Sandro's forehead.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Daztek posted:

It's getting changed to a cap of 100 per material

Here's a thread with stuff: Elite Dangerous 2018 Roadmap [Regularly Updated]

We get a materials trader? Holy poo poo!

But I wonder how detention facilities will work: What if you don't have any money? Will the detention facilities become the Hotel California for space poors? :lol:

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Libluini posted:

What if you don't have any money? Will the detention facilities become the Hotel California for space poors? :lol:

Detention Facilities are more for making people pay fines and bounties on their ships (because now bounties are accrued on the ships) than to prevent someone from nuking imp or pubbie ships with a "cheap" vulture you can buy with a single round of rare trades.

Can't wait to see a pletora of "The Pubbie Ganker, a cheap Eagle build made for salt by SDC" videos on YouTube :munch:

Also lol at the notion of remaining space poor. Begin doing everything and just remain with enough money for a rebuy and you will never run out of money.

limaCAT fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Dec 13, 2017

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

limaCAT posted:

Detention Facilities are more for making people pay fines and bounties on their ships (because now bounties are accrued on the ships) than to prevent someone from nuking imp or pubbie ships with a "cheap" vulture you can buy with a single round of rare trades.

Can't wait to see a pletora of "The Pubbie Ganker, a cheap Eagle build made for salt by SDC" videos on YouTube :munch:

Also lol at the notion of remaining space poor. Begin doing everything and just remain with enough money for a rebuy and you will never run out of money.

That's all fine, but also completely irrelevant. My question was: What happens if you end up in detention with no money to pay your fines? Are you just imprisoned there forever? I sure hope Frontier thought about edgecases like this one! :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Libluini posted:

That's all fine, but also completely irrelevant. My question was: What happens if you end up in detention with no money to pay your fines? Are you just imprisoned there forever? I sure hope Frontier thought about edgecases like this one! :allears:

Get a freewinder? In the new system bounties will be on ships and not on the players. Also never fly without a rebuy.

• Locked thread