Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

huh. i had no idea the game had that sort of functionality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omniblivion
Oct 17, 2012
I dicked around a bit after downloading this last weekend. Work has been a loving rear end in a top hat so I haven't been able to hop on much. I'll probably snoop out frogs this weekend or next weekend, but right now I've been just doing rando missions with boom data delivery. I'll start doing the board flipping thing, that sounds like it would be way better than actually moving system to system to pick up new quests.

What's a good credit amount to save up before buying a new ship or new gear? I'm at like 300k right now because i was stupidly doing 8k credit reward missions while learning the game. I was going to do the road to riches in the starter ship but that takes like 1.5 mil to buy the scanners? Will I die a horrible death in the starter ship doing that? Also, do you sell scanning data every 20LY or save it all until the very end?

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

It's not a private server in the technical sense, but it behaves exactly like one as far as the end user is concerned.

Solo mode does basically the same thing, only the member list is just you.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

if you're at 300k you're pretty close to a cobra mkIII which is a workhorse beginner's ship that can carry you through just about anything you want to do. it can stick on enough cargo to be competent at trading, it can carry enough guns to be competent at bounty hunting, it can jump far enough that it can be competent at exploring, and it's cheap to replace if you bite off more than you can chew in any of those things.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

300,000k will get you an Eagle with C rated fittings and leave a comfortable margin for rebuys.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

NJersey posted:

Oh come on, you posted this after the Beyond patch notes were released then you disappeared from the thread for a while:

Coincidentally, you were posting in the EFT thread a bunch during that time then return to this thread after getting kicked out of the EFT thread for being a poo poo poster there too. You even reply with the same lame sarcastic attempts at rolling with the punches when people here call you out on your bullshit we see coming from a mile away.

These are pretty much the only two Games threads I read so seeing you bounce from one to the other and back again with your poo poo posting and people telling you to gently caress off is pretty funny and telling about you as a poster...

:qq: I asked a question because I don't want to read massive changelogs and keep up with every little tweak to the game!

edit: Pre-emptive :nallears:

Knifegrab fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Feb 22, 2018

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

Omniblivion posted:

What's a good credit amount to save up before buying a new ship or new gear? I'm at like 300k right now because i was stupidly doing 8k credit reward missions while learning the game. I was going to do the road to riches in the starter ship but that takes like 1.5 mil to buy the scanners? Will I die a horrible death in the starter ship doing that? Also, do you sell scanning data every 20LY or save it all until the very end?
You really need a Detailed Surface Scanner more than anything else because the payout from scanning a single Earth-Like world or Water world it will pay for itself. Someone else mentioned a Cobra but I like the Hauler because it has mad jump (25ly!) distance with an A-rated drive, no engineering. I'd go store up 500-550k credits and get that ship. The most important things are the DSS, and the FSD, then I like to D-rate everything just to lighten it up and increase the jump range.

Once you've got it, go scan a few systems on the road. Figure about 250k per planet you get a detailed scan from, don't bother scanning the star or any other planet. Get about 2-3M spacebux worth of data if you can without running out of gas (8-12 planets) then go turn in and get the good scanner, a fuel scoop, and maybe A-rate your distributor, powerplant and thrusters if you feel like you want to. At that point you can just go start a-scannin'. I would collect a minimum of 10M before you go turn in each time but it is up to you how interested or bored you are with it.

Ships you might enjoy buying along the way now that you're a space famous space explorer:
Cobra MkIII - I was in this one for a long long time doin' rare trades back when that was the bees knees. Good cargo capacity, ok fighter, good jump range
Vulture - The best fighter there is in the game by my metrics, which you should take with a grain of salt because I am really bad at this game.
Asp Explorer - The best affordable do-it-all. Great jump range, good cargo, not great in combat. I use this as my grocery getter (engineer poo poo) because it gets around so well and has space in the trunk.
Dragonball Explorer - My exploration ship. Has a little more range than the Asp once engineered, but not really any cargo space. I like it because the engines sound like I found them at the garbage dump and they might go at any time.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
Is it true other people can hear your scanner honk now? If so I may finally go exploring...

Omniblivion
Oct 17, 2012
As a side note, someone mentioned this earlier and I do have to agree. As a newer player, the first few times you warp to a new system and land directly on the star is a pretty crazy, pucker-up, experience.

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
The networking code is all peer-to-peer and janky as poo poo. Players are separated into instances, and just because you’re in the same star system as another player does not guarantee you will see each other in real space.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

INTJ Mastermind posted:

The networking code is all peer-to-peer and janky as poo poo. Players are separated into instances, and just because you’re in the same star system as another player does not guarantee you will see each other in real space.

This is true but for the past few times I've played with friends we've always been placed into the same instance, no idea if it is worse in a heavily impacted area (community goals) but it definitely seems better ymmv

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer
You guys have talked so much about the engineering changes in this patch but nobody has mentioned the most important thing which is where is my Diamond Frogs decal?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
A dumb question: Does someone know the position of Asteroid bases not yet on any official lists? I'm especially interested in the galactic northwest, and the farther out the better.

My PS4-account will go to some of the really far away ones in the other direction (my main target is 7k+ ly away!), but it would be nice if my crazy PC main expedition could route through some more in his neck of the woods (which is from the core towards, well, the northwest)

By the way, do asteroid bases have large pads? My Imperial Cutter may otherwise not even be able to land in one, rendering this entire post moot. :v:

a big fat bunny
Oct 4, 2002

woo look at 'em gonk

CapnBry posted:

You guys have talked so much about the engineering changes in this patch but nobody has mentioned the most important thing which is where is my Diamond Frogs decal?

loving really. What is the update on the Frog sticker goddammit. i didn't haul an absolutely unnecessary amount of freight just because i had nothing better to do.

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

squeak... squeak... SQUEAK!
Lipstick Apathy

CapnBry posted:

You really need a Detailed Surface Scanner [snip]

Thanks for that post! I've been really enjoying exploring/salvaging way more than the combat so far so that'll come in very handy when I stop being a complete newbie and break over 150k creds :D

zooted heh
Oct 16, 2005

str8 mercin burgers my nigga

CapnBry posted:

haha were never going to get it

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

a big fat bunny posted:

loving really. What is the update on the Frog sticker goddammit. i didn't haul an absolutely unnecessary amount of freight just because i had nothing better to do.

Actually that's exactly what you did. And also what I did. I want my sticker. It is going everywhere on everything.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

We've been informed that the Frog sticker will be in the patch when it hits live.

I will have words with FDev in person at one of the live meets (April 14th) if it's not and hasn't been rectified by then.

coupedeville
Jan 1, 2012

MY ANACONDA DOM'T WANT NONE UNLESS U GOT CUM SON!

Angrymog posted:

We've been informed that the Frog sticker will be in the patch when it hits live.

:awesome: gently caress yes can't wait

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?
I am relatively new to the game and have started on the Empire rep grind. I've had both Federal and Empire at 100% with a none rank for quite a while. Is there a trick that I'm missing?

edit: to get the rank up missions.

LASER BEAM DREAM fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Feb 23, 2018

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i can’t remember if it shows up on bulletin boards or if it’s messaged to you directly these days but you need to do a special “rank up” mission to get the next rank

the good news is even if it’s stuck at 100% any rank increases you earn still count, they’ll be reflected in your progress to the next rank once you do the right mission

Behotti
Apr 30, 2008
Fun Shoe

Angrymog posted:

I will have words with FDev in person at one of the live meets (April 14th) if it's not and hasn't been rectified by then.

Will the sticker be available to be purchased? I wasn't around to haul massive amounts so space cargo but I don't wanna miss out on a Sweet frog sticker. :smithfrog:

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Knifegrab posted:

Is it true other people can hear your scanner honk now? If so I may finally go exploring...
If they are close enough, they can hear it, though I don't know what the range for the audio is.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?

Cowcaster posted:

i can’t remember if it shows up on bulletin boards or if it’s messaged to you directly these days but you need to do a special “rank up” mission to get the next rank

the good news is even if it’s stuck at 100% any rank increases you earn still count, they’ll be reflected in your progress to the next rank once you do the right mission

Ha, just got my first on a mission board. Just had to bitch about it I guess.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

tooterfish posted:

It's not a private server in the technical sense, but it behaves exactly like one as far as the end user is concerned.

Solo mode does basically the same thing, only the member list is just you.

I like it because it's mostly a solo experience, but I'll still occasionally run into another commander. And when I do, instead of it being a 14-year-old working out his mean stepdad issues, it'll just be a normal person who I can give a friendly :o7: to

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Someone figured out that if you use \n \ on your ship name it creates a line break
https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDangerous/comments/7zi8wd/til_you_can_have_line_breaks_on_ship_names/?st=JDZE938R&sh=cf065187

I’m uh, going to change all my ship’s names now to
I Ii
II I_

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
think I'll go with

B
E
N
G
H
A
Z
I

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Blind Rasputin posted:

Someone figured out that if you use \n \ on your ship name it creates a line break
https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDangerous/comments/7zi8wd/til_you_can_have_line_breaks_on_ship_names/?st=JDZE938R&sh=cf065187

I Ii
II I_

Can someone explain the significance to me, a dumbass?

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Can someone explain the significance to me, a dumbass?

nah, explaining it would completely ruin the joke. your loss.

besides, :. :; is far superior

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

You’re telling me you are not fully leveled in SA’s most obsessed over meme?

And you call yourself a commander.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Blind Rasputin posted:

:(

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

Blind Rasputin posted:

His loss, really

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Blind Rasputin posted:

I Ii
II I_

someone who isnt afraid of getting banned should set their name to "\b\b\b\b\b\b\b\b\b\b\b\b\b\b\b\b\b\b". (\bell)

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Bohemian Nights posted:

His loss, really

Oh gently caress, I was thrown off. I meant originally what the Reddit posts meant not his, but yeah I see it now.

Promethium
Dec 31, 2009
Dinosaur Gum
New player question: I'd like to rank up in Federation to check out Sol and other systems, but also want to pledge to one of the Empire powers to use their modules. Would it be a bad idea to work on these at the same time? I can deal with it if it's just mildly inconvenient, but would rather not get shot at constantly just for touring around.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Behotti posted:

Will the sticker be available to be purchased? I wasn't around to haul massive amounts so space cargo but I don't wanna miss out on a Sweet frog sticker. :smithfrog:

No, but there will be arrangements for future frogs to get stickers. Same way people who weren't there at the DGs can get GalCop stickers.

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fa0b2Kd2xhU

Found this funny because it's true.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

CapnBry posted:

You really need a Detailed Surface Scanner more than anything else because the payout from scanning a single Earth-Like world or Water world it will pay for itself. Someone else mentioned a Cobra but I like the Hauler because it has mad jump (25ly!) distance with an A-rated drive, no engineering. I'd go store up 500-550k credits and get that ship. The most important things are the DSS, and the FSD, then I like to D-rate everything just to lighten it up and increase the jump range.

Once you've got it, go scan a few systems on the road. Figure about 250k per planet you get a detailed scan from, don't bother scanning the star or any other planet. Get about 2-3M spacebux worth of data if you can without running out of gas (8-12 planets) then go turn in and get the good scanner, a fuel scoop, and maybe A-rate your distributor, powerplant and thrusters if you feel like you want to. At that point you can just go start a-scannin'. I would collect a minimum of 10M before you go turn in each time but it is up to you how interested or bored you are with it.

Ships you might enjoy buying along the way now that you're a space famous space explorer:
Cobra MkIII - I was in this one for a long long time doin' rare trades back when that was the bees knees. Good cargo capacity, ok fighter, good jump range
Vulture - The best fighter there is in the game by my metrics, which you should take with a grain of salt because I am really bad at this game.
Asp Explorer - The best affordable do-it-all. Great jump range, good cargo, not great in combat. I use this as my grocery getter (engineer poo poo) because it gets around so well and has space in the trunk.
Dragonball Explorer - My exploration ship. Has a little more range than the Asp once engineered, but not really any cargo space. I like it because the engines sound like I found them at the garbage dump and they might go at any time.

Quoting to find.

I played the original elite obsessively, but never got into this one, thinking I'll buy a joystick for it.

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

squeak... squeak... SQUEAK!
Lipstick Apathy
So erm.... started my first bounty mission to kill 4 blue pirates and in 2.5 gas tanks I have managed to find 1 that wasn't going beyond the speed of light for 15 minutes.

I might be doing this wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Go sit at either the beacon or a REZ site in systems with that faction present and they'll eventually show up.

• Locked thread