Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Professor Bling posted:

Goddamn I cannot find an Imperial Eagle anywhere.

Anyone else having better luck?

Fabian City, HIP 20277

Also Fed Assault Ship review: I really like the Fed Assault Ship

Nostalgia4Infinity fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Oct 7, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Literally Kermit posted:

Get a refinery. The more bins, the better. It is all automatic now as long as there are empty bins

Get a collector control module. Make sure it is size three. 3A is best, drones from it last 12 minutes and you can have two at once. You can have another module and another two drones at once, but launch them from a different fire group (you can't launch two at the same time)

If possible, put on a prospector module. It can be a size 1, they tell you what a rock has and may also boost yield

Get as much cargo space you can. Go to the munitions screen and buy "limpets", enough to fill a little more than half your cargo space.

go to the Frey system, fourth world. It has a pristine metallic ring and is not far from 63 G. Capricorni

Oh wait, did you equip mining lasers? gently caress. Luckily there is a station that sells them 62 ls away. Go there and get some, refuel, etc

Back at Frey 4, head to the inner-most ring. Set up your fire groups so you can launch a prospector, mining lasers, etc. you will need some lasers for killin' unless you got friends at your back. I slap on a KWS so you can scan pirates- yeah, go back to the station. And learn to read all instructions before starting things.

Okay, back at Frey 4, inner ring, here we go: fire a prospector. Ignore any failure messages, surprise, it is bugged. If your cargo scoop is open, it will briefly close it to program and launch the limpet (drone). Switch groups and get your collectors out. Oh boy!

Once launched, the prospector is selectable and if you are smarter than you look, will actually hit the rock. It will tell you what types of elements are in it, how much, and how much left until the rock is depleted. Shop around and look for gold, platinum, palladium, osmium, and jesus christ yes, painite. Plenty of other metals and minerals here to grab but try to make sure you prioritize any of those five.

Get somewhat close. Fire mining lasers into rock. Make sure cargo scoop is open. Now the fun part - watch your refinery and cargo hold slowly fill up! When depleted, move on and go back two steps and repeat.

Hold full? Take dat pure profit to a high tech or a refinery. I suggest Xihe which is a high tech refinery. Now check the bulletin board for mining missions. If you have the minerals take and complete for not only massive increases of money, but reputation and eventually rank missions as well!

When you get tired of gaming the bulletin board (missions reroll regularly) sell your other minerals and metals at the market and head back out! Hi-ho!

Think I'm going to outfit a minerconda and roll out that way :cheers:

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Collector drones will also snatch up mining shards from NPC's :getin:

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Sex Robot posted:

All this game did was make me wanna play Eve online again.

okay

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Shipon posted:

I really hope they solve this Exploration issue for your sake - you would have wasted this trip otherwise.

I saw something on the red dots that indicated that they had.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Anaconda :haw:

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

The can land at medium pads and the FAS had pretty excellent hard point placement relative to the clipper.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Not enough ammo :(

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

It came from the reddits:

:stare:

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

chaosapiant posted:

Anyone read any of the Elite novels? I'm thinking about reading one....

The ones I've read are pretty good if bog-standard science fiction.

I'd recommend Elite:Reclamation since some of its plot threads have made it in game.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Pilchenstein posted:

Once or twice, yeah.

These smuggling missions, how much cargo do they ask you to run? Is it an excuse to bum around in a sidey again?

It varies but I don't think I've seen over 20 or so units.

It was actually an amazing excuse to get back into a Cobra since I feel like that is the perfect smuggler.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Drake_263 posted:

loving hell. For some reason, painite plus drones equals instant transaction server failure. I was mining earlier today. FIVE times I found a rock with painite, started mining, and the instant a drone with a painite fragment reached my cargo hatch I'd get booted out of the game.

What in the actual gently caress, :frontear:?

I've been mining painite just fine? :shrug:

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Weren't C4 beams leaked/teased?

With the Fed Corvette having two C4 hardpoints, I certainly hope they expand the offerings for the huge slot.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Voyager I posted:

I'm glad you're having fun exploring, but the reality is Elite has excellent core gameplay being squandered by a shameful paucity of supporting systems. Loadout choices are fairly shallow, and most combat boils down to milling about at one nav point or another poking away at a stream of mixed respawning NPCs. There hasn't been a good space fighter released in ages and this game has the fundamentals to be fantastic, but apparently no will to do so.

You get that your opinion, while valid, might not be universal.

Right?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

frank.club posted:

No he's right about the core gameplay being good. Frontier just needs to focus more on adding stuff to do and diversifying possible goals and gameplay styles. I think they're working toward that, too. Whenever they set a goal or promise they deliver. CQC is good fun and even if you don't buy horizons you'll more than likely have access to the new ships and be able to play in their hopefully redone missions. Power play is just a disappointment personally because it seems poorly thought out and personally not fun.

E: but hey I never ever have to engage in power play either!

No I get it, but I don't think Elite is ever going to scratch that super involved hand-crafted itch. I think that was more Star Citizen's thing and it's a shame that who mess is going down in flames because as originally pitched I think it could have found success. Elite is always going to lean heavily on procedural generation because that's pretty much the premise of the game.

frank.club posted:

I just want to name my ship

Oh my god, yes.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

So any suggestions on smuggling and not getting caught?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

A kinda iClipper.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Aren't there still million credit payout missions?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

TorakFade posted:

You just have to kill a bad guy every five minutes and you're making 1.5 mil / hour if you get good, 100k dropships/clippers spawns. In a vulture that's not too hard :getin:

Much luck with rerolling the instance needed though, at least before haz res were introduced...

You can also boost that by quite a bit by pledging to/hunting in Space Mom's territory.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

SynthOrange posted:

I wouldnt be so negative if this game did anything right. I enjoyed playing it but after while the half assed... everything just gets hard to ignore.

At least I had a pretty spaceship for a little while. :unsmith:

Bye Felicia.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

~30 minutes in a HazRES

ALD faction bonuses are kinda ridiculous.

Nostalgia4Infinity fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Oct 20, 2015

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

orange juche posted:

Libluini next time you come home from the black, here's a neat game to try with random exploration if you ever get bored of just jumping system to system.

Huh, that could actually be interesting.

Good way to map regions as well.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

frank.club posted:

Then why we're all the other non long range missions cut back too?

It's too bad the switching modes exploit wasn't fixed instead of this. Fixing the game's problem instead of just cutting the fun stuff would be cool

Cutting their spawn rate is probably easier than changing the way missions and instances are handled.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Chrysophylax posted:

Ok so I made the shittiest video that tries to illustrate translation vs rotation using big ships. Hopefully it shows just how important it is to spend as little time as possible turning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DReR08mjP_c

Pictured: abusing the anaconda's nearly perfect vertical/horizontal boost capabilities, and strong thrusters in general. Throttle set to the blue zone at all times.

Kinda makes me want to kit out a combatconda. God knows I have the $$$ for it.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Siets posted:

Well now that I have around 300 mil in the bank, I would assume commodity trading in an Anaconda would be the best income per hour? Anything else in the game that beats that?

Not really. Welcome to the End Game.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

The iClipper is probably the best ship in the game.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

frank.club posted:

I have an anaconda. I've beaten the game

Now combat fit it with A grades and mil-spec armor :gibs:

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Can confirm that Combatconda with A-rank thrusters is a lot of fun :getin:

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

frank.club posted:

I'll get on that as soon as I actually lose my mind, for real.

Here's my build:
http://coriolis.io/outfit/anaconda/...?bn=Combatconda

It isn't optimized and there's a bunch of poo poo I hardly ever use (FSD interdictor for one) but I pull out most of the components and I can still haul 400 tons of cargo. (Still the best way to get cash, IMO -- especially to start fitting out an Anaconda.)

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

CG to build a station out in the Pleiades is go.

https://community.elitedangerous.com/galnet/uid/5628b4e29657ba887cc6c8a6

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Paramemetic posted:

As the official Clipper fanboy in this land, I feel like I should come give some words of advice on Clippers.

1) Clipper is not Vulture maneuverable. It has very weak vertical thrust and its pitch rate is not as quick. It's one of the few ships that you really need to FA off and abuse thrusters to pitch adequately with.

2) That said, Clipper is aaaaamaaaazingggg at lateral thrusting and yawing. It will lat thrust and yaw better than any ship in the game besides Couriers. Clipper is for ghost riding various whips.

3) Any guns on a Clipper are good guns, provided they are gimballed. You can turret the medium slots if you're lazy, then if someone does that annoying "fly right overhead on you" thing, you just roll over and let them eat those lasers again.

4) Anyone who is saying they routinely dunk on Clippers and so on must be talking about PVE, because PVP they are one of the top two ships, period. Sometimes you get pilots who are bad in them and cannot ram, especially now that they are rank-free, but generally Clippers are bad news bears and also ramming owns.

5) Ramming owns, ram everything. The Clipper is a large kinetic weapon with some lasers attached. If you're real pro, remember you have giaaaant wings, so if you miss the ram the first time, just roll violently as you are passing under and try to slap them with your fin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0qMT2YBIcg actual video of me in a Clipper starts at 28 seconds

Can confirm everything in this post.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Ranks for the Cutter/Corvette would be great so I can start working on that now.

Also concept art for the Cutter :getin:

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

I thought that was adopted into the clipper. I would be more than okay with a Clipper except bigger.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

gently caress I'm buying that :negative:

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

chaosapiant posted:

Does anyone have fun just playing the game, or is making money fast the only thing folks enjoy?

Sure seems like it sometimes.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Clippers can't dock at outposts. Probably their only drawback. :frontear:

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

3 posted:

why did i do this :negative:

Because you're a man of distinguished taste?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

An FAS build for folks who want a break from the iClip:
http://coriolis.io/outfit/federal_assault_ship/26A6A5A5D6A4A4C0u0u2727000l04044a045e6g242f.Iw18cQ==.Aw19gjJxA===

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

AndroidHub posted:

Well I hit the 15% contribution mark at the Kaushpoos CG (its at around 4k tons right now) and decided to look around for better routes. I found that doing a round trip to Teng-Hui Dock in WOLF 315 nets me about 1900cr a ton round trip, silver from Teng-Hui for roughly 1150cr a ton, and advanced catalyzers from Neville Horizons for about 750cr a ton. It's 38 lr, which will be about three jumps in any bulk trading vessel, but Teng-hui is only 28ls from the drop-in once you get there, so I think it's well worth it.

Are you sure of that system? Wolf 315 only has outposts.

And Teng-Hui Dock which is nearby has no metal :confused:

Nostalgia4Infinity fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Oct 26, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

AndroidHub posted:

Sorry that should be Wolf 325, I was going to 315 as well at some point and mixed em up.

Ah so, thank you :)

Vire posted:

Cool glad to hear it. I am not scared to try to make my own fun and I am glad to hear its still viable. I would like to just smuggle and kinda han solo it in the game but if it offered like no reward for doing so and I couldnt work my way up dunno if I would want to bother. Ill try to track down that demo thanks.

Keep in mind this game is more like MS Flight Simulator and less like Wing Commander.

Nostalgia4Infinity fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Oct 26, 2015

• Locked thread