Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zutaten
May 8, 2007

What the shit.

How do you know the right thing to blow up during Cut the Power missions? Or do you just blow everything up and consider any fines as operating costs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zutaten
May 8, 2007

What the shit.

Daztek posted:

The Adder looks adorable :3:

The Adder is my favourite looking ship because, paint it white and you're basically flying around in a space shuttle with slightly more maneuverability than the real space shuttle.

Hauler too. Spacevans forever.

Zutaten
May 8, 2007

What the shit.

Annath posted:

Where is a good place to buy metals to bring to Worlidge Terminal?

I spent most of yesterday trucking Bertrandite out to Forstchen Landing in Lokitaka Mu for a tiny profit (I refuse to fly out empty, it feels like a waste) and bringing Palladium back for about 350-400k in my T6.

Zutaten
May 8, 2007

What the shit.

RattiRatto posted:

Is mining any good?
If yes, what ship/ how it works? I have seen only mining lasers and refineries, missing anything?

If you want to get into mining, there's a Community Goal out in Varati starting soon for Palladium. Get paid for the Pd you mine and get a big cash payout at the end of it depending on how much is mined in total and how much you drop off. The CG payouts add up.

Zutaten
May 8, 2007

What the shit.

Dishwasher posted:

Anyone taking the death march with the Gnosis ship to check out Thargoid territory before being brutally murdered for Youtube and promo videos?

I'm on board with my DBX because as a space trucker who is really bad at combat, this is finally a "game event thing" I can actually take part in.

Zutaten
May 8, 2007

What the shit.

The Protagonist posted:

How do player factions get a megaship? How do you make a player faction? How do you even hear about this?

Canonn is special. They're the group that basically devotes their entire lives to figuring out Elite and its mysteries. So they got rewarded with a faction in their name, and more recently, were the subject of a community goal to build a new megaship, which succeeded and brought us the Gnosis. Canonn leadership also apparently has the ability to move said ship anywhere they want to, up to 2500 light years at a time, every Thursday (when the servers update) by asking nicely. Tomorrow will be its maiden voyage, and it'll be leaving the Varati system for... Somewhere in Hyades? I think.

Zutaten
May 8, 2007

What the shit.

Eldragon posted:

Its funny how one can have hundreds of hours sunk in this game, and I have no clue any of this is happening.

There's not a lot actually "connecting" you to the universe at large. Even the concept of "player groups" are for the most part just people who have decided to roleplay as members of those madlibs-named npc minor factions like The Progress Party of HIP 11706 or The Purple Gang based out of wherever and do missions off the board benefitting them and help the simulation expand their influence.

That's not really engaging in any sense of the word but it's all you've got until you get the attention of the devs and they plop in an npc group with a fun name like Canonn or SA's own Diamond Frogs. Then you just go do the same thing but for them.

Zutaten
May 8, 2007

What the shit.

Mike the TV posted:

They abruptly stopped the process while they still had lots of ongoing applications, so lots of people got stuck with nothing after a long time waiting. It was kind of lovely, and the only info about it was in one post in the application thread on the main forum.

Dev communication for this game is some of the worst I've ever seen. It's always one post tucked away on the forums.

Same with a few posts up where people were talking about not knowing anything is even happening in game. I browse the reddit every few days and that's the ONLY way I know what's going on in the universe, because the Friday newsletters always come too late to take part, and galnet is somehow worse than a print newspaper for timely access to current events.

Zutaten
May 8, 2007

What the shit.

Katsuma posted:

How in the hell are you even supposed to find all this interesting Thargoid stuff? The game is so opaque. I've played the game enough to get a fully combat fitted and engineered python, but the community goals are mentioning resources I've never even heard of and have no idea how to acquire, and people are talking about fighting aliens that I've never seen and have no idea where to look for or how to encounter.

Do I really need to go trawling mountains of posts on forums and Reddit (ugh) just to be able to find the interesting stuff? Is it expected that I rely on the word of some unemployed 40-something who's played the game 12 hours a day, every day, for years? I just don't get it, and it's discouraging.

Even Reddit is starting to post topics about how it's stupid you have to check Reddit to learn anything, so maybe this will get their attention?

Zutaten
May 8, 2007

What the shit.

Fojar38 posted:

Ironically with the recent updates No Man's Sky does certain things better than Elite does, although calling it a "space sim" is definitely rather generous

No Man's Sky has gradually changed from a terrible Look At Weird Stuff Simulator to a good Look At Weird Stuff Simulator but the flight handling is still just not good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zutaten
May 8, 2007

What the shit.

Blind Rasputin posted:

The type-10 is a sloppy slow rear end ship to fight anything in. I haven’t tried using it agains thargoids but the only way would be to use turreted weapons which do not have as much damage as the fixed ones. The anaconda is my favorite big ship.

Turrets are ok for the T10 because any drop in damage is made up for by not having to spend 80% of your time trying to bring your guns to bear, in my opinion.

• Locked thread