Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
Will the Brian Blessed voice pack come to console versions or is that always going to be a PC platform perk because goddamn I would pay all the money to fly around the galaxy with a shouty spaceship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

AndroidHub posted:

Currently my plan is "Elite Dangerous Horizons: Gonna Die Historic on the Lunar Road" if anyone thinks they have a better title bring it forth.

Elite Dangerous Horizons: This Game Just Got Buggier.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

Danknificent posted:

That sounds fine to me. I have no idea what I'll end up doing, that's what I'll determine during the beta by doing different things; I'll get more serious when my stats are persistent.

Tell me about the combat skill cap. It's real time legit dogfighting, right? Are there any fighter aces out there? Does pilot skill factor into the game at all?

Dank, while you wait for the game I suggest you watch all of Isinona's videos on YouTube. He flies with flight assist off, aka hard mode, and while everyone else is trying make money and buy bigger ships, he's just pootling around making videos in small ships that have their own sense of narrative. Every video is a little space adventure.

Start with the big video that first got him noticed and start from there: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbaLJTGHkj8

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
It's now Q2, 2017, and 2.3 is out. That means my long wait for the PS4 version is almost over. Been lurking this thread for years, and I'm ready. Just a few more weeks and I can finally get into space.

Any other potential PS4 lurkers here? Add ParkingtigersX on PSN, we'll have to setup a goon PS4 group for this game and get ourselves organises (ha).

Been browsing the Frontier store in anticipation. Those ship kits for the smaller craft look fun. I can tell I'm going to throw a ton of money at making my pretend space car look prettier than your pretend space car. The true endgame.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

KakerMix posted:

There was a time when patches for Elite were substantial like they are now but were executed flawlessly.

I'm pretty sure you can lay a lot of current blame for slow updates and overall roughness on Frontier working on the PS4 client. A large bulk of their effort is going into prepping a new platform and new revenue source, and that cuts into existing work until it's done.

Saw the same thing with console Minecraft. It was out in PS3 and 360 and Vita, and 4J studios was doing a fine job of closing the gap with the PC version. Then they had to start working in the PS4 and Xbone versions and updates slowed to a crawl for months. Then once they were out the updates went back to full speed across all 5 platforms. I'd bet cash money it's exactly what is happening inside Frontier right now, and, you'll see an uptick in dev speed/updates post PS4 launch.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
Those corroded paint jobs are amazing. Does anyone know, would you be able to mix and match these Cobra spike body kit parts with the existing ship body kit set?

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

NoneMoreNegative posted:

I'm guessing you can mix bodykits as the parts from both kits should just show up in the wing / bumper / spoiler etc categories

Nice. Some of those non-spike juryrigged repair parts really give the ships a bucket of bolts Millennium Falcon feel. Very down for that.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

Trustworthy posted:

Awwww yeah can't wait to go scum up the loving galaxy

That ship looks like garbage. I love it!

Do you have any pics with the kit bits over a standard paint job? I'm curious to see how creative someone can get using these to "hot rod" a ship without going down the full Reavers aesthetic.

Hi, it's me, the guy who is interested in pretty princess ship dress up above all else.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
June 27th for the PS4 release. This thirsty boy finally gets to play, and not even the grouchiest of you thousand hour veterans can burst my bubble. So hyped.

It's going to be so weird, day one, in a galaxy where everyone is flying a Sidewinder, and mostly crashing into things wondering how the hell anything works.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

illBilliam posted:

Oh yes! I played this on Mac OSX until it wasn't supported anymore. Looking forward to starting anew on the PS4.

You and any other PS4 goons looking to get into space can add ParkingtigersX on PSN and we'll all be terrible in space together.

Pre-orders are going up today in Europe, and on the 30th on the US store. Bafflingly, they are still offering to sell the base game separately from Horizons for people who want half a game, but there will be a Commander's edition which puts them both together (along with a paint pack and a pre-order bonus gold Sidewinder skin). Also, a Legendary edition on physical disk which is E:D, Horizons, and 1,000 Frontier Points which is the real money currency used to buy things like ship kits from the Frontier website.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
I've recently been watching a YouTube series called "Sidey vs the Galaxy" by Archon Fury where he's trying to take down one of every ship in pvp in a Sidewinder. It's kinda glorious to see that small ships can, when flown well, armed and engineered correctly, and choosing when to fight and when to run, can dominate much larger opponents. Looks hella fun too.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

Fojar38 posted:

I like this video game, obviously, since I've put almost a thousand hours into it over 3 months.

But now that I have the biggest baddest ship I'm interested in the lack of a true end-game is really becoming noticeable.

By the way on a larf I bought an Adder the other day because I was wondering about what sorts of ships I missed on my path to my Corvette and it turns out that little thing is actually insanely fun to fly. I especially like the mini-van cockpit.

Watching this game from the outside for 3 years, waiting for PS4 (only 26 more days, holy poo poo) and my eyes are very open to the total lack of endgame. Thing is, it looks so easy with all the tweaks and stuff to skip over so many of those early game ships. Unless a player knows not to, there's no reason to not leap straight from a Sidewinder to a Cobra Mk III on their first day playing now. While hungrily waiting I've watched a bunch of "I just got this game" streamers and they all seem to jump over the Hauler, Adder, even the Eagle. Makes me sad that in a game with sound design as rich that some ships might never get played.

My plan is to go in, and take it as slow as possible. Enjoy making my own stories, and as described earlier "head canon" the gently caress out of it. I just want to focus on the moment to moment stuff of being in space, shooting some stuff, looking at pretty planet vistas, and running some missions that fit the character I'll be roleplaying.

I'm thinking of a soft rule where I spend a week minimum, real-time, with every ship in the game working my way up the list. Rather than return to some of the smaller ships at a point when I'm space rich and can A-rate everything immediately, I'll pimp the ship out doing things in that ship itself. Take on different roles for different ships that suit them, try a bit of everything along the way. That's my plan anyway.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

Verge posted:

Ok, I'm there. What do I do to find the ship? o.o

I watched the stream. You go to the second planet, align with Asterope, then fly 12k ls towards it. There's a distress call and a beacon right next to each other.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
One week until PS4, and in that fresh start environment I'm wondering which of the powerplay faction modules to go for first. I absolutely want to get packhounds, enforcers and the fancy shields. That FSD disrupter missile looks interesting too.

So, in a PVP environment where many people won't even know how all this stuff works, what's the best "surprise" to unleash on unsuspecting commanders 5 weeks from now?

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
Just caught an FD livestream, and the community guy said he'd seen all the comments about 2.4 just going to be "ugh, engineers grind and combat zones" and said he thinks people will be pleasantly surprised.

Could be nothing, and he later clarified he wasn't knocking CZs as good things to do, but his response to the common worry hinted that (in Frontier's eyes at least) that it won't be only that.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
For new PS4 players, I highly recommend this series of videos made for the Xbone version by YouTuber Hoopchi:

https://youtu.be/9XV-orVa0Jk

10 - 15 minutes long per episode, and he goes through all the stuff like controller layouts etc that most ED tutorial guides don't touch upon. I've watched a million hours of ED videos, I know all the advanced stuff, but found this series super useful because seriously, how do you get those dozens of buttons onto a controller? Well, this guy will show you how to navigate the map, docking, targeting, all that stuff while specifically dealing with it on a console controller.

Essential viewing for new console players imo.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

illectro posted:

I've never been able to setup a control scheme using console controllers that would let me comfotably fly with FA off with any level of control.

The suggestion I once saw, which I'm going to be trying, is to mimic FPS controls. Seeing as how those are ingrained in my muscle memory, it makes most sense. Left stick would be for forward/backward and lateral left-right thrust. Right stick for pitch and roll. Then vertical thrust on the left bumper and trigger. Left hand does all the moving, right hand ”looks".

Dunno if it will work out, but considering I've played hundreds of games using this basic setup it at least makes sense on paper. I'll find out in 3 days I guess.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
I'm going to get a Keelback, and name it Nick.

Nick Keelback.

i'm sorry

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

Montalvo posted:

I've asked on the PS4 thread too, but I'd love to hear some feedback from people who are playing this on console. It's a game I've always wanted to get into, particularly after how disappointing No Man's Sky was. Also, which version should I buy?

The versions available are:

Base game: $30. When PS store updates later, you'll be able to buy the Horizons season pass for an as yet unknown amount of dollars. Horizons is pretty much essential if you want to have the "full game" but they at least give you the option to buy in stages and see how it feels.

Commander edition: $60. This is the base game + Horizons + a pack of spaceship skins from the Frontier store. I went for this as I know I was already all-in on this game.

There's also a Legendary Edition on disc, if you're one of those people who still want physical copies of games. Same as the Commander edition, but instead of the skin pack you get 1000 Frontier Points to buy some pretty princess dress-up options from the Frontier store.

As for the game... well I was hugely disappointed with No Man's Sky, where by the third planet I was done. Meanwhile in the last 3 years waiting for Elite I've watched hundreds of hours of videos while pawing at the screen and whimpering. I've just spent the last 2 hours finding out that the flying is actually really difficult, getting my rear end handed to me by the Eagle in the training mission again and again... and I am *DELIGHTED* by this. It feels amazing to fly, the combat is really deep, and it's an actual skill that needs to be learned. A skill that right now I absolutely do not have.

Edit:

The default controls felt horrible to me on console, I spent rebinding everything (and you can rebind EVERYTHING), and it feels really great now. I think the controller is going to be just fine for this game, but considering how bad I am at flying, I'm going to hold off on my plans to learn flight assist off.

Also if you jump in, add PSN: parkingtigersx and illsense set us up a PS4 community called SpaaaaceGoooons so we can all wing up and piss about in spaceships together.

Parkingtigers fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Jun 27, 2017

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

Feenix posted:

poo poo I would be looking for in this game:

Immersion

deep controls but not hardcore flight sim " oh you forgot to say echo bravo at the end of your call to air traffic control and now you are loving grounded son!" minutiae.

Finding new cool poo poo to marvel at and such...

Occasionally shooting bounties and having that action be somewhat fun/not janky.

:)

Chewie, we're home.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
Don't listen to these jaded old grumps. If you just want to be in space, and feel like you are living your life as a pilot pootling around the galaxy, this game owns.

My life in space so far has been:
Taking some early data courier missions to small outposts where I have been able to make sloppy 4 minute landings away from prying eyes.
Salvaging cargo from 'sploded spaceships for fun and profit.
Almost burning alive by getting too close to a sun, twice, and that moment of panic where I have to both get away quickly, but the getting away quickly also generates heat.
Almost running out of fuel on a roadtrip to goon space, and needing to make a 12k ls detour to a very lonely outpost orbiting an isolated brown dwarf star, and it being surrounded by pirates.

I also spend a ton of time in the camera suite just looking at how goddamn pretty my spaceship is, watching the hardpoints and landing gear deploy. I'm basically a wobbly newborn horse of a space pilot right now, where I'm clumsy and bad at everything but finding everything fun and joyous.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
Feenix, come join the PSN community SpaaaaceGoooons and find some chill PS4 dudes to learn to fly with. Nice stepping stone to get winged up before joining the Diamond Frogs. The first hit is free.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

illBilliam posted:

PS4 Commanders:

Please befriend everyone in the community group SpaaaaceGooons so that we all can see each other in open. Also, play in open. We got your six :clint:

Yes, do this. Open means other human players around, who may attack you, or who may be cool new friends to make. Embrace the uncertainty, it makes everything more fun. My first PVP encounter was when a player ambushed my friend just as I was dropping in on his wing beacon. I couldn't avenge my buddy, but I had an immensely fun time in my first human vs human dogfight (and only the second time I had ever fired my guns at a ship in-game).

Video of that little fight here: https://youtu.be/5P8ysW-QtIs

Also, new PS4 goons, I have linked this series before but this series of short tutorials for the Xbone by CMDR Hoopchi is your flight school. It covers everything in the basics from menus, to key bindings, to landings, to the UI. This is your flight school training right here. Start with the 3rd one if you already grok the menus, but seriously with a game with as many things to learn as this one, it's downright daft not to at least browse through these very specifc absolute beginner vids. I can't stress enough how useful they are, especially as it all refers to controller bindings at all times, it's console specific training.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLbT8MSa-xHQp6uEX1KaGkwN1oOALfCD1-

Cobaltshift posted:

Can anyone tell me some about frontier points? I have 1000 from the legendary edition but I'm not sure what I should spend them on. Is there anything that's the most bang for your buck?

Frontier Points are how they handle cash money transactions across platforms. Buy more FP from the PS Store, use them in game through a special web browser link. 1000 points is $15 worth. You could buy a ship kit for 800 points, but it is just for that one ship. Skins are ship specific too.

Best value for money, is to buy some things that you can use across any ship. I bought the purple weapons modifier, which was dirt cheap and looked amazing. Especially as you can't change HUD colours on console, so having lasers that aren't the same colour as the UI is pimp AF.

See also nameplates, so you can display your ship name on the hull. I got a practical plate (they have 4 styles) and the ID plate (one pack only)

A bobblehead for the dashboard is worth a punt too. Bit of goofy fun, but it also helps get used to which way your ship is moving by its reactions. I got a wirefram Coriolis, which sits above my gimble display, and I love it.

Edit to add:

This is a little external view of my starting Sidewinder, the good ship Tadpole. This shows a ship kit to change the silhouette, a vibrant yellow skin, nameplates, and coloured lasers. I love my Tadpole, still flying it as I want to savour all the ships.

https://twitter.com/hongkonghermit/status/879743726477647872

Parkingtigers fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Jun 30, 2017

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
I have spent an absolute ton of hours the last several days having an accidental adventure. After logging in at Lave to cash in babby's first CG reward I decided to travel at least 150 LY more to get an invite from my first engineer. Thought maybe a nebula, Coal Sack looked close but was still 500 LY. Then noticed a goonmate was down in the Pleiades, about a similar distance. Figured why not, that's far enough and I'll go look for aliens.

It was 40 jumps in a Sidewinder, which I kept cooking on stars along the way because it can't jump more than two systems without a top-up. Utter madness. Had to do my first planet landing 12 jumps into the trip because I was at 50% health in most systems. Down in Merope I bought a Hauler so I can move around easier (omg big fuel tank and scoop thank you Jesus) and carry an SRV.

Haven't even seen any alien stuff yet, because rather than just look up the co-ordindates I have been flying around finding listening stations, finding clues in the messages, and basically Scooby Dooing around the region seeing how much I can find organically. And you know what? It loving owns. I've found two audio logs on mysterious giant space installations, then afterwards getting jumped by some spec ops pilots for snooping (got sploded the first time). Got a dead end in one system and just landed on a really far out planet and spent 90 minutes driving down into a massive crater with my '80s playlist on Spotify as my in car stereo, and then I flew over to my first black hole at Maia B and spent like 20 minutes just exploring the lensing effect and squealing over the mic to my mate about how balls trippy it is.

I've got 1.5 mill in the bank, still only in my second ship, and I've essentially gone as far towards anti-grinding as it's possible to go in this game, just pootling about gazing at stars and taking things easy. And I am having the best loving time of my life.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
Speaking of traffic jams at stations, check out these tourists I saw having a really bad day. https://twitter.com/hongkonghermit/status/882640555485806592

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

Mercurius posted:

Completely unrelated but the engine/weapon colours have allowed me to make the ultimate vaporwave Anaconda which I have naturally called Shazbot Syndicate because of your radio station:

Since we have a bunch of newbies, Kaker runs a :krad: streaming radio station full of the finest synthwave and electronica for your enjoyment while you spaceship at http://www.shazbotsyndicate.com.

If electronica isn't your cup of tea and you'd prefer to cruise around the black listening to some dadrock and announcements themed around Elite and the Diamond Frogs, Felix "3" Dyson runs the excellent Radio Skvortsov at http://radio.entropy101.com.

In that case, I'm going to pimp my '80s Spotify playlist that I have been curating the gently caress out of for over a year now. I call it #Project80s and it's up to 540 tunes, with another 120 on the prep list waiting to be filtered in.

https://open.spotify.com/user/hongkonghermit/playlist/7tiPWysRx7w8JrrmzC9Hom

Spotify integration on PS4 is awesome, you can hold the PS button on the controller and you get a sidebar of functions pop up. You can start your playlists from there, never even have to leave the game, Great tunes to have on shuffle when you're bimbling around the galaxy. It's basically my life's work at this point, the ultimate retro mixtape.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
I know most people have seen this a million times already, but this was *my* first Thargoid encounter and it was special to me. https://twitter.com/hongkonghermit/status/883056433624788992

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

Ratjaculation posted:

Same on my PS4, but if lag occasionally when going between systems but that might be my connection.

Performance is mostly fine for me, but it lags to almost single digit FPS in any instance with a capital ship. That includes the entire surface area on Merope (even while docked).

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
I've owned Elite for less than two weeks, and have already spent $87 on space barbie pretty princess dress-up and I regret NOTHING.

Hello, I have issues, don't judge me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
Shout out to me, making 14 jumps in a shiny new Adder, hold full of Xihe rares, going 150 LY to buy Soontill Relics for Elivira Martuk. Coming into dock I accidentally fired my weapons and got instagibbed by station security.

Shout out to me, about to make 14 jumps in a shiny Adder rebuy, hold full of Xihe rares, going 150 LY to buy Soontill Re...

• Locked thread