Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
Man, the Kaushpoos Community Goal has reminded me why I love this game. Sneaking past pirates with a full load of gold by dropping out of frameshift randomly, easily escaping from three anacondas that did interdict me because anacondas are fat and slow, and of course getting into arguments about queuing:

I started wondering why I'd got bored of this before I came back to it, then I remembered that PowerPlay encourages people to stay away from each other rather than have fun. :frontear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
I've been away a bit and see a lot of love for flak cannons here - have they been buffed?

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
To echo all the above, everything becomes easier once you learn to use Up and Down thrusters, as then you can just fly over a pad and thrust directly down. My problem at the start was trying to land my spaceship like an aeroplane, with predictable results.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Veotax posted:

I've never really cared about getting an optimal build since I mostly just fight NPCs, but this is what I'm flying right now. How does it look, any recommended changes?

Also, that link works right?

Link works, but upgrade your thrusters immediately, even if only to D. The Vulture is great at combat because of its combination of Large hard points and maneuverability, and more of the latter is just great. Also, upgrade everything that's currently E to D, as it's a straight upgrade that's pretty cheap.

Think about adding chaff on your empty utility mounts - even one is helpful when you're engaging multiple enemies.

You've got a Class 3 Cargo Rack on a Class 4 mount. If you must have cargo space you might as well have as much of it as you can. I would take out the rack and replace it with a bigger Interdictor for easier interdicting, and replace the one you have with a Detailed Surface Scanner - I assume you have the ADS to make a bit of extra cash while moving between systems, and the DSS will double the payout. Alternatively you could take out the scanners and swap out the cargo rack for a Shield Cell Bank, while retaining a 1D interdictor.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

X-Ultron posted:

Is there any downside to running a lower class, higher rated power plant if it'll provide all the power you need? This would be to get lower weight and better heat efficiency without as much cost. Example: 3A power plant in place of a 4E.

Literally no downside whatsoever. In fact, the best Asp-E outfits for exploring normally run a positively tiny 3A plant. For combat though, you might want to stick with a larger plant in case of... mishaps.

Veotax posted:

I tried doing some of the new hostage rescue missions a little while back but they seem impossible without a Hatch Breaker, do they payout enough to be worth installing one?

You can do them by shooting out the cargo hatch if you don't have limpets, but they're too fiddly and unpredictable to be worth the money.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

slidebite posted:

Jesus, I just got my rear end kicked by an NPC. Went to a hazardous RES to try to do some hunting and spotted a Federal Gunship in a wing with 2 explorer Asps. Figure, hey, I'll take out that Gunship quickly and then kill the asps. Well, the Gunship took about 3x as long to kill as it should have and the asps just kept pounding on me. Finally turned on the Asps and realized they were almost through my shields again so popped another cell and they collapsed them just as it got online. Well poo poo, started taking a bit of damage but just thought I'd jump to the close by star base to repair up. Spooled up frame shift and just as it was about to jump, mass lock. I was going towards the belt (couldn't see it, it was in a system with a ring gap and it was dark). I start to hear the windscreen cracking and notice I'm down to 50%. poo poo, I'd better jump to a system. Panic, pic any system and JUST as the frame shift gets to the last bar to jump, killed.

$3,000,000 rebuy for my Python :(

Oh well, that's my story.

Hey, what's the trading route tool to use nowdays? Need to do some trucking.

The Funship and the FAS are beasts in HZRES, as they all come packing high-end armour which magnifies their base armour to ridiculous proportions. I never take them on when they're in a wing and I'm not. Especially in a wing with Asps, because they like toting railguns.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
Some post-Horizon exploration pics:

I found this guy 6,000ly from Sol, marooned in the bafflingly rusted remnants of a crashed ship. There's no way a normal human could've survived that long in an escape pod, so I reasoned he must be a Space Zombie and refrained from picking him up. This judgement was boosted when I found an identical pod 5km away from this one, this apparently being a Zombie Moon.

This was the first Metal Rich world I found without an atmosphere, although disappointingly this meant there were no open rivers of lava. However, it seems that different worlds have different spawn frequencies for synthesis materials, and if you want vanadium, head to a metal rich world. Every other asteroid on this world had it.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

TomR posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xEbWIg6lJA&feature=em-upload_owner

Edit: This is me having just found the barnacle. I knew I would find aliens out here.

Did you find them before the guy in the thread? If so, congratulations! Also, KILL THEM ALL.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
In similar news, I HOPE YOU LIKE ALIENS

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
No, it's on a planet - it's something planet Lat: 2X.XX Long: 9X.XX/

Edit: Binary Planet

Aethernet fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Jan 14, 2016

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
Am there now. It's another barnacle. The metaalloys really look like seeds. Will get pics.

Edit: apparently there is a crashed anaconda too

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
The Conda is good for one particular thing:

Sick nasty jumps from its rear end. Aside from that it's just a source of rare materials from respawning cargo racks, although Frontier being Frontier, some of those cargo racks levitate:

I also got this shot:

The Meta-Material is the weird seed looking thing. You know, if I was a space-borne creature and I wanted space-travelling creatures to take my seeds around (like Space Bees) I'd make them valuable too.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Akion posted:

So I am doing Robigo runs to turn my Python into a murder machine. Just finished one, will probably do one more and should have the money.

Planning to run 2 C3 beams in the top slots and a C3 cannon in the bottom. Would I be better with some different loadout? I don't like loving with fixed weapons so this seems decent.

I run 3x C3 pulses and 2x C2 frags, all gimballed. The pulses can fire forever with four dots to WEP, and the frags just eat hull in close proximity.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
So I logged back in to check out the new patch after playing other stuff for a few months. While flying through a random system I got a message from a faction leader to hunt down some lost transmission gear in a crashed ship in a system a jump over. I head to system, pop my discovery scanner and identify the planet it's likely to be on. When I arrive in the vicinity of the planet I get a purported location for the crash site, which flickers around as I grow closer, requiring me to hunt over several dozen kilometers until I finally nail the location. I land, and take my SRV out of my ship. As I pick up the first container, I hear whump from behind me, and turn around to see the green glow of my ship's prismatic shields activating as they come under attack. My radio screams, "SHIP UNDER ATTACK" as more missiles land and my SRV races over back to the ship, hurrying inside. Takeoff begins, and I put all dots into SYS in an attempt to stay alive and look for the attacker on the scanner. It's an Elite IEagle. I manage to get off the ground and cannot get the fucker off my tail until I switch off FA and pivot on the spot to face him. He dies pretty quickly.

I land, and pick up the rest of the gear. When it's onboard, I get a message from the faction leader saying that they now need it urgently and I'll get a bonus if I can get it to a planet 10 ls distant within 2 minutes. Realising this is unlikely, I jump into Orbital Cruise and circle round the rock I'm currently on to find the destination, and speed towards it. I then get a message from a pirate I'd evaded in the first system saying something like, "I have you now!" before interdicting me and sending me screaming into the second planet at, well, inappropriate speeds. Thankfully I end up close to the port I'm heading for, and manage to squeeze in... ten seconds after the bonus deadline.

Whatever you think about the engineers, the basic stuff of the game - missions and faction engagement - is now far, far better than ever before, and I'd have this down as the best update yet, even with engineers factored out.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
There are some difficulties with player-run economies beyond a global clearing house. If I'm in Open, drop some extractors and shift to Solo, do my extractors come with me?

Because I want to be able to shoot extractors owned by people hiding in Solo.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

This was a slightly glib point about instancing issues and the pleasures of e-sociopathy. However, there is a serious point about how player-owned anything anything would work in a framework that finds it difficult to get players in the same system into the same instance.

On open/solo, see the Open v Solo foreverwar in the Brown Sea for why this will never be tackled.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Main Paineframe posted:

No, of course not. Also, when people say "player-run economy" I'm pretty sure they don't mean "literally dropping canisters for each other in some secluded space instancr", the whole point is to get away from that crap.

What do they mean, then? Direct trading? Auctions?

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Dabir posted:

I like playing in open, but sometines my connection is super bad so I play in solo cause that cuts the matchmaking servers out of the equation. Should I be penalised for that by having all my stuff taken away? Am I 'abusing the system' by being able to play the drat game?

Yesterday I had to log into solo to actually get into the instance for an engineer's base. While I have a lot of sympathy with the idea of splitting the BGS between the two modes, in practice this would lead to situations where players could sit in stations flipping modes and arbitrage between them. Given the utility of players being able to access both you mention, I can't see it being changed - which is why I also think player-owned anything is unlikely.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
The upgrades do make a difference, but even an upgraded Python is going to have a hard time with one of the new Elite Anacondas without popping shield cells like candy. One on one at least; space coppers got an upgrade too.

Pythons should still be able to dunk on everything below that class though. While it's much harder to keep a bead on the more manoeuvrable ships, it is still possible.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Experimental Skin posted:

I just took an Elite Anaconda solo in my Python without using one SCB. It really depends on the loadout the NCP rolls. Also just took and Elite FDL using one charge.

Yeah, I've run into one using only multicannons. But also one using rails and plasma. And a Python that ate shield cells continuously; I swear it must've cooked itself before I finally blew it up

How are fellow Python-fliers dealing with switching roles with modded weapons? Have I missed a way to store my cannons when switching to mining?

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
drat. I really want a Space Warehouse, not just for weapons but for all the tonnes of random cargo necessary for upgrades. I'm a Space Millionaire and I can't even rent a storage closet.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
Good news on the mats capacity expansion. I'd have whacked it up to 10k so players need never think about it, but I suppose I can continue dropping sulphur by the dozen of [non-specific unit].

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Luccion posted:

Well, to be fair, I don't believe you should have an easy time when outclassed by that much. An Anaconda is better in virtually every combat category that is measurable than a Python. The one thing the Python should be better at, maneuverability, is only slightly so.

Oh, I completely agree - the 2.1. AI is absolutely an improvement inasmuch as it's made me actually wary of elite-rated pirates. I actually had to run away from an elite Python yesterday as I run without armour and it got my shields down after I finally ran out of cells. It probably makes it quite sucky to be spacepoor though.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
Seeking recommendations for FdL loadouts. I just bought one for combat missions as pythons don't really cut it in 2.1. I tried C4 beam with 4x C2 multicannons, but it didn't seem to put out enough oomph to take down the elite Corvettes that sit at the end of assassination missions now.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Dabir posted:

C4 beam, missiles everywhere else, blow their drives if you can get behind them and their guns if you can't.

Cheers to you and the other chap who responded, but the game has subsequently refused to spawn assassination missions for me to try these loadouts on. I did switch to 4xC2 pulses and a C4 cannon, though, which chews through large hulls very handily.

I also tried Dirty Thrusters. They feel like cheating. I can now out-manoeuvre sidewinders.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

quote:

- All shields now regenerate at double rate when in supercruise

Yesssssssss. Cutting downtime for big fat shields is great news.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Nickiepoo posted:

Are there any decent youtube dudes that are worth watching at work while I try to piece together how to actually play this beautiful gently caress of a game?

I like Isinona for combat, and Obsidian Ant for beautiful videos with a slightly grating Midlands accent.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
I've been quite enjoying the new spin on base raids 2.1 has brought. Previously raiding hi-sec bases earned you about 1m per go, which was lousy money for the time invested. Now it's the best way bar none to get data.

I'm hoping they'll expand this gameplay into end-game 'raid' equivalents to get parts for purple upgrades. Certainly, winging up to blast through a Thargoid swarm before landing SRVs to capture a base would be cool.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
High security bases are the ones with three plus signs next to their name, or occasionally just labelled 'high security'. They'll have around 5-6 data terminals, all of which need to be scanned within a time limit to get data. I recommend attacking with your ship first to kill any defending vessels and to lure out Goliaths, which are an arse to kill in your SRV.

Edit: also some bases will have big fuckoff guns that may do a number on your ship. Lure the surrounding vessels away rather than attacking directly.

Aethernet fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Jun 23, 2016

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Groggy nard posted:

I may have mentioned it before but oh my god gently caress SPECIALIZED LEGACY FIRMWARE

This is how you find Specialised Legacy Firmware:

Orbiting around Earth (and possibly other inhabited Earthlikes) are abandoned satellites, identified as 'Encoded Data' Signal Sources. Scanning these satellites is guaranteed to give you at least one SLF, and is by far the fastest way of finding them.

e: bonus shot:

Aethernet fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Jun 29, 2016

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

LCL-Dead posted:

:frontear:

C'mon now.

Yes. Also, to slightly change my previous point, the satellites aren't guaranteed to have SLF, but they have a very high drop rate.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
They are very slowly moving in that direction by having some non-rare commodities only be available in particular regions, which does make the Bubble more differentiated, but I would agree that more flavour would be great.

On the other hand, most of the 'flavour' they added for the homes of player groups reads like a Jonny's First SciFi story. Check out blurb for whatever A Different Kind's home system is.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

timn posted:

AHAHAHAHA :unsmigghh:

Rolled the max +25% optimal multiplier with a +10% side effect added on top.

Christ. What ship is that on?

Just added a 5* FSD range upgrade to my Asp, taking it up to the heady heights of a 42ly range. Been wondering whether it's worth tinkering with the power plant - a smaller Overcharged one would run into heat issues, while one with lower thermal output might not produce enough power.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
They toned the AI way back down in a patch after 2.1, and many of them are still braindead. Elite and Deadly enemies do get engineer mods and can still ruin your day, but they're much worse at actually doing the ruining than they were immediately after 2.1.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
It does take your ship into account. In my Python I get Dropships and their cousins, in my Asp I get Diamondbacks.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
Shield cells fill a given amount of MJ which you can see on the Outfitting screen when you buy them. Shields should* display their effective MJ on that screen too, but if you've tinkered with them it's more difficult to say. Once you know the total MJ of your shields you can figure out how much a cell restores using the first figure.

*Am currently beyond the rift and can't remember whether that's true.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Yeah, never fly straight at the star to scoop. Fly towards the outside of the exclusion zone at a tangent and don't let your heat get above 65% or so! :eng101:

If you are a crazy person like me, you can do this while you are firing the discovery scanner, then drop your speed to 0 and point at the star to scan it while you refuel. Never not scan all of the things.

Nah. Fly at the star. When you leave supercruise, reduce your throttle to just below the blue zone and immediately start scanning the star. Slam on the brakes when your fuel scoop reaches 3/4 capacity and you'll stop at just around max input. The two biggest time sucks when exploring are the time it takes you to scan the central star and the time it takes you to scoop fuel. Having tried the flying around star thing, this way is much faster for both.

Disclaimer: results may vary for ships that aren't my particular build of Asp.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Libluini posted:

The travel-engineers were always confusing to me, since Frontier never fixed the bug with your travel distance always shown at maximum possible distance. When I'm looking at my display stating the completely wrong fact that I travelled 65k+ light years, is the game using that wrong number or is it just a display error and engineers are actually using your true travel distance?

In my case I can't test this, because even the true number would be about four times as high as what the most demanding engineer wants. Someone would need to make a new account, see if he gets the same display error and look if he gets invitations from engineers based on the error.

Confused by this - it's explicit in their descriptions that it's 'distance from start' i.e. the furthest you've been from your start system, which is exactly what's recorded in your statistics.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Libluini posted:

Not in mine. When I checked last time, my display of that number was still bugged.

What does it show? It can't get higher than Beagle Point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
The graveyard is allegedly coming in 2.2. Given there's lots of wreckage models already, it can't be that difficult to implement.

• Locked thread