Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose

punch drunk posted:

I'm trying to figure out what works best for a 360 controller. Are horizontal thrusters or yaw more important in dogfighting? I'm not looking to be elite top killer pvp but I don't want to start off playing gimped.

You need both, really. Fine aim adjustment without yaw would be hell and every thruster matters. I'd take yaw if I had to choose though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose

RearmingStrafbomber posted:

Operation Last Dance (for the Viper MkIII) begins the journey toward the core.

Hold on, are you flying it into Sag A* to replace it with the new one?

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose
Well, this happened.

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose

Ciaphas posted:

Is there an out of game outfitting/shipyard search engine somewhere, short of flying to high-tech systems and checking manually? I know about eddb for trade routes already, but I don't see any module search there.

http://ed-td.space/en/30/Find+Outfitting
http://ed-td.space/en/18/Find+Ship

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose

Arrath posted:

I might try a Beam/Shotgun setup on my Vulture. :allears:

I used to do beam/shotgun, it was fun as hell a while ago, I bet it's amazing with the larger ammo store. The vulture's cap can fire a single beam almost forever with 4 weapon pips and a single C3 beam is enough to kill pretty much anything. I used to save the shotgun for when I was outnumbered and needed to finish someone off real fast.

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose

cheesetriangles posted:

I play in solo mode with a type 6 running the same route back and forth making good profit and it's only three jumps. It's a good podcast or Netflix type experience. Is the type 7 my next logical upgrade is there anything besides that to consider. I have no real idea how to play the game other than flying from point a to point b maxing out my cargo hold each time.

An Asp holds a little more than a T6 and is much more agile. It's a good middle spot on the way to the T7 for trading.

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose

Romes128 posted:

Does anyone know if customer service can transfer your credits and ships from the Xbone to pc? I built a pc and want to get all shooty fun times but I really don't want to start over.

How much did you have on xbox? You can get rich pretty quick with help.

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose

Transmetropolitan posted:

I bought this game right before the 15th and my crowning list of achievements is:

- Getting owned

This is a pretty harsh game, it just dumps you right in the deep end of the pool and doesn't really explain itself at all. Don't feel bad about struggling to figure out what the hell is even going on and what you should do, that's just the first step of getting into the world.

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose
Ok Horizons just went from great to loving amazing in my eyes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVMO8T1c2hU

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose

Dongattack posted:

Is there a quick way to check the total sale value of my current ship and it's modules?

Multiply your insurance rebuy cost by 20

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose

DrProsek posted:

:buddy: Thanks y'all for the help! Sounds like playing solo isn't a problem at all. Good bye :20bux::20bux::10bux:, you won't be missed!

Even if you plan to play by yourself feel free to stop by #elite on synirc, it's usually pretty lively and we're all about getting new players started out right.

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose

IrvingWashington posted:

I was gonna bother goons again and ask what ship I should buy next for ~fun times~ but I just realized I can sell them for almost all the spacemoney back if I hate one, and that is pretty cool.

That's one of the best things about this game, you're totally able to try things and you can always safely dump money into whatever you're flying and pull it out later. I wish more games would give you that freedom.

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose
So we've been hanging out at Frost in open piling community gifts into Pythons and sharing them (and frog carols) with the pubbies who pass by. We've made at least a couple dozen's people's nights over the weekend and probably delivered several thousand gifts between everyone. This is what this game is really about right here.

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose

things are happening

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose

Amethyst posted:

What is this

Got this mixed up with the PGS thread, nevermind.

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose

Spanish Manlove posted:

I discovered I own a viper, would it be useful as baby's first actual spaceship?

It's really good at shooting things and fairly bad at hauling cargo or going long distances, it depends on your play style really. IMO you should keep it as a shooty boat and get something less combat focused for everything else, at least until you can afford to replace it with a Vulture.

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose

CascadeBeta posted:

I mean I shift between 100% and the blue zone, as needed. It doesn't seem to matter how well I maneuver, because even if I'm hiding behind asteroids, I'm still somehow getting shot.

Edit: When I hit boost nothing happens.

What are you flying and how is it outfit? No boost sounds like an undersized distributor.

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose

Shine posted:

e: This is my build. It's a little risky because the FSD goes down with hardpoints deployed, so it'll take time to boot up if I need to run away, but getting into PvE trouble in a Vulture isn't an issue unless you do something reeeaaallly reckless.

Is there more to flight performance from thrusters than the difference between ship mass and the optimal mass? It looks like you could drop to D and gain jump range and enough power to get the FSD running and still be nowhere near optimal but I have no idea if D just plain turns worse than A or something.

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose

H13 posted:

Goddamn. The grind to go from a 5 million ship to a 50 million is pretty drat brutal if you're doing Res hunting.

The most I get from ships tends to be around 250k per ship, but that's only if I'm lucky and Clippers spawn. Is there any way to make more money doing Res hunting or is that about right?

...I want to make 14.4 million from a single run of anything!

Many of those who got over this hump did so by abusing bugs, there's not really much else to do about it.

Community goals are pretty good money too, though. Sometimes.

You can make a little more money from bounties by pledging to one of the anti-crime Powerplay factions and hunting in their territory.

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Best ship/paint combo:

This is my jam, right here. iCourier for life.

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose

Natsuumi posted:

Go to a little place called Mitterand Hollow and you'll see them orbit. Boy will you see them orbit.

Seriously do this, it owns.

Or if you don't mind spoilers check out:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XC98rYDvj04

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose

Hamelekim posted:

If you hit (x) or set your thrust to zero while the jump countdown is occurring, you stop automatically before you ever reach the star's danger zone. It is super useful and I do it all the time now when I don't wan't to risk overheating or don't want to check the star type.

You can also do that at any time during the jump, the throttle position on the HUD won't change until you hit supercruise on the other side but it totally works, if you go into freelook you can see your pilot model moving the throttle in the cockpit.

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose

timn posted:

I would unironically enjoy riding the tram around the inside of the docking bay.

E: every time, even if I didn't have to

Elite: Dangerous: Longshoreman

Not gonna lie I would love the hell out of that

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose

I don't know what opinions bad posters have ascribed to me for having the temerity to say "this game isn't poo poo".

Don't really care either.

Man I was with you about the NPC changes being bad but you don't really have a leg to stand on calling anyone else a bad poster.

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose

DancingShade posted:

I can have fun farting about in an iCourier doing random poo poo.

Fun is what you make it. :shrug:

Farting around in an iCourier is one of the greatest joys there is.

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose
drat, that's a glorious bug right there. Posts like that really show how actually competent they are at development, most companies couldn't even dream of getting this far on such an ambitious idea. It's pretty clear this is their first big multiplayer game but I still feel confident they'll work it all out into something amazing.

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose
This is one game where clearing your save could absolutely make things more enjoyable. There's not really a huge difference in the gameplay between starting out and being rich as gently caress, you don't have to grind to unlock some endgame where all the real fun is. Why not reset and try something different if that's what you feel like doing?

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose

Chomp8645 posted:

Either I'm not getting something or this game is extremely loving boring. I want to make sure it's not the former before I give up.

The game itself is just a sandbox, it's up to you how you want to play in it. Flying around by yourself chasing more money and bigger ships will get boring real quick.

The community is really vibrant and active and goons have become really good at inventing stuff to do for fun, check out the PGS thread for the Diamond Frogs and see if that sounds interesting. Being a spaceman is a lot more fun when you're working together with people.

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose
You do the same stuff you're doing now, but for reasons. If you go into a Diamond Frogs system and shoot all the NPCs from the other factions you will lower their influence and raise ours. Or run missions out of a Frog station for the same reason, or trade or turn in exploration data or whatever. It's all the same gameplay but with an actual purpose: spreading our faction's influence.

Why do we want to spread our influence? No reason really, it's just fun. Especially watching the pubbies froth and rage about THE GOOOONS ruining their world, by uh, flying around and playing the game or whatever I guess.

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose
Yeah, it's nothing like EVE. That OP is no joke, that's the real history of what we've been up to, but the way it plays out in game is pretty much just the same gameplay you've already seen.

Since other players have to choose to play in open it's not like you can go around griefing them. That's not what it's about.

Mimesweeper fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Jul 4, 2016

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose

Good Dumplings posted:

What is your deal with insisting that your idea of fun is the only way

Look at his post history in this thread and you'll understand, you should just ignore the guy like everyone else does.

I'm not sure why he's so obsessed with poo poo stirring in a video game thread but, hey, to each their own.

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose

magic mountain posted:

Look at his post history in this thread and you'll understand, you should just ignore the guy like everyone else does.

I'm not sure why he's so obsessed with poo poo stirring in a video game thread but, hey, to each their own.

Nice meltdown.

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose

this counts as an actual meltdown btw :grin:

:nallears:

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

the last 3 pages of this thread:

that thread on the fdev forums is the gift that keeps on giving

nice meltdown gif

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose

2spooky4me posted:

I made by 1.5 billion credits by playing the game and doing Community Goals every week :shrug:

Most of my space riches came from barely participating in community goals.

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose

ChewedFood posted:

What do you mean sign up to find out? I did the cg with the definitely-biological-weapons/"pesticides".

Let me explain what I'm asking for. I started playing this with goons when it came out. I am in group James Griffin. There was always a huge amount of data and planning in the thread detailing what our collective mission was and how to go about spreading the goon way. It gave me direction. I am not smart enough to figure out all this meta game stuff and would like Kermit or whoever is leading us now to tell me what to do.

That's all done on Inara and Discord now. Just check the PGS thread and sign up with the frogs.

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose
All this talk about ganking ignores the fact that even if players wanted to get together and have a big friendly honorable battle the instancing would ruin that too :toot: It's a big deal, and it's not all that strange for someone looking at a video game in 2016 to expect multiplayer to work.

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose

Kavros posted:

At least in my case it was "Elite Dangerous: Because I Really Don't Want To Live On This Planet Anymore"

:same:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose
Someone's been staring at the dot.

• Locked thread