Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Just play around with a generator.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Insert name here posted:

The problem with that generator is that it just applies a filter over a screenshot so how it looks on there tends to not quite look how it does when you're actually playing.

Providing the generator was in response to the "Hey someone else find/make this for me" that was originally asked for.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

:frontear:

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

xiansi posted:

I am more than willing to try and discover new metalloids by exposing things to the gas emitted by MY ARSE.

Plz bring gold. 'Ordinary' gold will suffice. Have a mug. :ughh:

Hutton Mugs were the last new rare trade commodity creating event. This one should be galvanized gold or whatever it is with their ocean vents.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Alehkhs posted:

Any good routes for this? I might take a break from mining in my T7 and run a couple loops if there's a good one.

It was quite heavily camped when I went and it's 400+ ly out in the sticks.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

SkySteak posted:

Hey I apologise if this has been asked a few times but honestly, from someone who has played EVE a lot, and liked the stealth/exploration aspect of that game, is E:D worth picking up? Like is the exploration actually engaging? On top of that how much depth does the game have? I heard it was quite a grindy title until you get the stuff you want and then it picks up. Also how well does the game work for someone using a joystick?

Eve is too much, Elite is too little. But Elite doesn't have a monthly sub so I don't feel compelled to stick it out and log in all the time to update skill training.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I can't make the Sothis Gold Rush worth the effort. I only made a profit of 110k on 100 tons and it took FOREVER to get out there, and now I have to get back.

Even if we get it up to 50-100 stock of the rare commodity it still wouldn't really be worth the effort of doing those runs after the event.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Community Events don't reward well because not enough people do them to get them up to the high tiers because they don't reward well at the low tiers. It's a terrible cycle.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Missions have details like "effect on influence" and "effect on reputation". I'd start with the the high influence missions especially if they work against other factions in the system.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Sekenr posted:

Whoever missed the notice in laucher:

:siren: STOP EXPLORING :siren:

Seriously? I'm 14k Ly out and have been exploring with all my free time the past couple days. This is going all the way down the toilet?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

RubberJohnny posted:

That planet reveal is pretty poor, it's just a Perlin noise heightmap with a single texture and randomised rocks for clutter?

Even what we think of as single-environment worlds like Mars and the Moons have stuff like craters, chaos terrain, lava plains, canyons, dunes and different colours of regolith, even Kerbal managed a lot of that and that was a tiny indie game with a few newbie developers. It's nice to see not everywhere will have a thin atmosphere though, I was expecting them to rely on that to obscure distant LoD, like in Skyrim.

Seriously? You're going to whine about their first showing of an asteroid sized world not being diverse enough?

Give it some time.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
loving blow a gasket about an accidental reveal months before release.

Never mind that they just wanted to show off the functional bits and they still have months to pretty things up. Nope! Have to go furiously type up criticisms at the first conceivable opportunity because it isn't absolutely perfect yet.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
You are a prime example of the reason they don't show off changes until the last possible moment. Why would anyone want to deal with the neckbeard making GBS threads on it before it's ready to go?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Finally.

bonus: first Earth-like world that I've discovered.

Zesty fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Oct 10, 2015

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
An anaconda showed up so I scanned and left.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Shipon posted:

I really hope they solve this Exploration issue for your sake - you would have wasted this trip otherwise.

Yeah, the warning thread had been updated by the time that I woke up this morning that all is well.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Can I raise empire rep just through trading or am I going to need to regularly do missions?

Trading seems to be the easiest way to gain rep but will it generate rank progression missions?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Go make dinner or something? That isn't too bad at all if you have something else you need to do for 15 minutes.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Just got home from my trip to the core with a detour through long stretches of undiscovered neutron stars on the way home.

40 mil payout. :toot:

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Major Isoor posted:

Kill Warrant Scanner. It allows you to find out what bounties a ship has, outside the current system. (However if a ship has no bounties in the current system you're in, but bounties outside that system - e.g. in the Empire, but you're in the Federation somewhere - then it'll still be illegal for you to shoot them. It's just a bonus amount of cash for shooting ships that you probably would've shot at anyway, really)

Yeah, I recommend putting the KWS on the same function as your primary fire and you'll scan everything you're shooting down.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Interesting landing pad.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

I don't know why people freak out over these all the time. They're stupid but they're no Hutton orbital. That's 15 minutes right there. There's plenty I can find to do with a break.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Bedshaped posted:

A lot of smuggling jobs are unavailable to me because I have 'Unfriendly' rep with the Federation. If I could get jobs from Sirius or the Communist faction that would be good but I feel like all the best ones are with Fed Unite.

So what station is best to run out of around Sothis/Ceos in my case?.

Fehu is the Empire Sothis.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
What situations and builds are viable for a Silent Runner?

I made a Diamondback Scout Silent Running Build with Cannons to make it a sort of stealth bomber but I really can't find situations where that's actually useful. I don't really have the means to reduce a target's shields or lock someone down.

I think one of the issues is how vaguely I understand stealth mechanics. It's not clear at all how Signature vs Heat works without trial and error. Does firing weapons reveal you automatically? Will I ALWAYS be visible in supercruise or am I absolutely revealed to everyone?

I think they could really make this work if they added a way for stealth players to actually see how effective they are. Maybe a Signature display or some other method of telling if you can be seen by other players. I don't mind being visible if they look directly at me even if they can't see me on the sensors because the whole concept beats the hell out of "PRESS BUTTON TO BE LITERALLY INVISIBLE"

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

tooterfish posted:

There is a signature display. To the right, just above the fuel gauge.

Bitchin'. I'll have to play with it.

Still though, I'm having difficulty finding combat applications for a stealth build.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

That's the question!

Railguns I imagine would point an arrow to where you are exactly. While cannons are similar, I think it's a lot easier to long-range fire them and then bugger out of the area.

The main problem is shield reducing. I don't think cannons are particularly effective at it. Maybe railguns would be okay in a CZ. At least you can stop firing as soon as they start to turn around to remain hidden. I don't know how much heat it would give off though.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

tooterfish posted:

Lastly, you're always visible in supercruise. Hyperdrives use a lot of energy, so it's impossible to hide them.

THAT is super lame and what's hurting Stealth builds the most for PvP application.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Voyeur posted:

Errrr how exactly did you expect to sustain a speed of multiple times the speed of light? Row really fast?

Oh, pardon. I forgot realism trumps fun in these serious hardcore video games.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Traded in my Fer De Lance for a Clipper. 40mil more all together than my FDL but I enjoy it.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

deadlyrhetoric posted:

I have 50 mil. Should I jump on the iClipper bandwagon or just go back to hauling rares in my Asp?

It's going to cost more than 50mil to equip it out.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Paramemetic posted:

General method for grinding merits (don't grind merits) is to splash 334 nerds in haulers the first week and 153 every week after that for sick 50mill payouts + bonuses.

It's generally more fun to do fun things instead, though.

Not only that, but inbetween your mind-numbing grinding you're going to be getting interdicted by every loving NPC Powerplayer not aligned with the Empire which is a real bitch when all you want to do is gently caress around with something other than combat.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
How does the hauling portion of powerplay work? If you had a Type 9 with 500 cargo space and you get 1 merit per ton, wouldn't it only take 20 runs to go from 0 to 10,000?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Paramemetic posted:

20 runs and 45 million spacebucks.

Alright so small profit the first week, but then it's only costing you 23mil and 20 runs for a 27mil payout every week? As opposed to the interdict grind?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I want some of those themes they have for ships on other ships... like nationality flags.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

PvE fighty? You shouldn't really use B or C unless you're trying to be really economical at the expense of weight and power.

NEVER use E. D is lighter.

The Vulture doesn't need all the extra shield stuff, but I did upgrade your shield from a B to an A. The Vulture's defense is it's mobility. Lateral thrust around your targets while you laser them apart. Feel free to use whatever bulkheads you want. Lighter has more mobility.

Added Chaff.

Added a Advanced Discovery Scanner to your empty internal. If I'm doing missions I like to see the entire system that I'm in. It's not necessary though. Add more Cargo or something if you prefer.

Gave you a size 4 cargo container and put your interdictor in the size 1.

Toss a heat sink or two in one of those empty utilities if you want to smuggle or confuse missiles. Might have to turn off the cargo hatch module though.

This build is mainly for mission running. If that's not what you're looking for we can figure something else for you.

http://coriolis.io/outfit/vulture/14A5A4A3D5A4D3C1e1e0m00--4a032o662f.Iw19kA==.MwBhCYylgRigLEkQ

Zesty fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Oct 24, 2015

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

AbrahamLincolnLog posted:

I am so loving lost with the Powerplay stuff.

Aligned with Lavine. Go to one of the systems that has Crime Zones or whatever, start attacking enemy ships. Other Lavine aligned players target me, shoot me down, and I have to pay to replace my ship.

How do you do anything in this? I'm totally lost. Why are allied players shooting me down?

You're taking their targets. They're willing to suffer merit loss to dissuade you from playing.

Powerplay is ill conceived.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Sard posted:

So far, with merely 200 tons of Palladium delivered I'm stuck into the top 5% for the mining CG so if anyone was wondering, there you go. Pretty easy to get that, and I figure if you can manage 100 tons a day you'll have no trouble holding onto it. Brought FAS up to Koushpoos as well for the bounty hunting and jesus christ it's a mess. I've had NAT trouble or something in the past so I've never seen a really populated system before. How does this not devolve into a complete clusterfuck with PowerPlay participants?

But when the reward is a mere 5mil for being one of the top 5 it's kind of hard to invest that kind of time.

Community Event participation makes the game look a little lifeless sometimes.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I goofed around and updated the iClipper build. I didn't realize that stacking shield boosters would still all run at once.

http://coriolis.io/outfit/imperial_clipper/06A6A5A5D6A5D4C0v0v1k1k040404044k052b5e5959542o.AwRj4yrI.EwBhEYy6fO+EA===

Goals:
1. Get as close to 720 tons for maximum maneuverability.
2. Maximize survivability through shield and boosters.
3. Shoot stuff.

Thoughts?

This is what I run. If you want to do missions just replace one of the 4A Shield Cells with a Cargo Container.

You don't need kinetic weapons with a Clipper. If they're small your lasers will do just fine. If they're big you just need to ram them with all your pips in SYS.

Zesty fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Oct 31, 2015

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Harvestport a few hours ago in my stealthy ship.

:ssh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Wat

• Locked thread