Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

I took my stream exploring the other day, looking for a Black hole simply because I hadn't encountered one yet.

Our destination was 40 Upsilon-2 Hydrae, choosen because it has both a black hole and a neutron star. It is also a very silly system in other ways. My ship is a Diamondback explorer kitted for exploring. Guns were left on because I wasn't going that far and you never know.

We came across this lovely little binary system enroute.

And flew between the suns, a move that some of the stream thought might be suicidal, forgetting that Space Is Big.

Really Big.

Last jump lined up.

Arrival. And the discovery that we have a friend - see the pink dot above the sun? That's not an entity in the system, but a graphical artifact, cause we think by the black hole's special shader effects. Stream decided that it was my fairy spirit guide and called it Navi. HEY LISTEN!

Black hole on the scanner

A quick look at how ridiculous this system is - 73 entities, mostly stars. Rubbish stars, but still, stars.

Here's what we came for, the black hole, observable via the gravitational lensing. Sadly the lensing doesn't apply to in-system things, only the skybox, but still, pretty.

A last look back at the system before flying away to sell data.

The neutron star was both boring and dangerous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

That's been out for a while. Their tshirts are really good quality btw.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Or Kibble.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

I have a feeling that the DBE has been replaced in shipyard lists by one of the new ships post-Horizons. Could people let me know if they spot them for sale anywhere? They're not in Xihe or Nisgayo any more.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

They really need to start adding tabs to the control configuration page

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

I had a mission to find 1 cannister of bootleg booze on a planet. Drove for hours. Found nothing except rocks. Checked some POIs, but none of them had cargo cannisters. :(

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Insert name here posted:

Does scanning stuff with the wave scanner by holding down the button actually do anything?

The wave scanner is on all the time. The button scanner is for data links.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

itsnice2bnice posted:

Has anyone else noticed that the SRV is a little buggy?

If it was a big buggy it wouldn't fit in your ship.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Capn Beeb posted:

Punched in LHS 20 into the galaxy map, only four hops away in my Type-6, hot dog

Could you check for me if it stocks the DBE? The website says it does, but the data is old.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

The sound design is so drat good in this game.

I know for serious PvP you might want to use mumble for comms, but tooling around in a wing the inbuilt voice comms is fine and the way quality changes depending on the condition and heat of the ships involved is great.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Falken posted:

Kind of want in on this but the number of negative reviews on steam is disconcerting.

I did love elite 2, freelancer and x3 though and i have an x52.

The steam reviews seem to be from people who've invested heavily in Star Citizen?

Issues with the game are mainly that you have to find your own fun - there's no plot and it does drop you in at the deep end, especially if you don't do the training missions.

If you do get it, join the Diamond Frogs and we'll point you in the general direction of fun. (Fun may involve ramming or touching scoops).

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Libluini posted:

Still, the best was when several Federal Corvettes decided they didn't want us there anymore and chased us off (well, mostly me). On our last run I literally escaped with 1% hull left on my Iggle. :v:
I unfortunately lost my Vulture in the same encounter - protip: don't fly to the rescue when you're still waiting for your shields to come back and you're out of chaff. You can't hull tank that many plasma blasts.

Total blast though with our various near escapes and coming back to station in various states of wreckage and broken canopies.

Oh yes, the first time your canopy goes is one of the true 'WTF!' moments in gaming. The sound goes weird, you hear your pilot's breathing and you get a scary count down for the amount of time left on your life support and you lose your HUD on the broken section of canopy.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

For the person asking about streaming, I have my own channel at http://hitbox.tv/angrymog and Elite is one of the games in my usual rotation, and we have just started up the Diamond Frogs channel at http://www.twitch.tv/elitediamondfrogs which will be either showing hosted Goons or native streams.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

I'm kind of poo poo, but I couldn't imagine playing this without at least a single joystick and having a full HOTAS is just gravy.

Though I was wondering if someone could give advice - the throttle on my X52-pro is bouncing back from something at full forward. It doesn't do it all the time, but mostly, and it's very annoying. I've tried fiddling with the force dial on the side but it doesn't do anything to adjust whatever its hitting inside. Is it time to take a screwdriver to the throttle and have a look inside?

Angrymog fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Dec 27, 2015

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

timn posted:

The throttle purposely has detents built in at 25% and 75%. You're not talking about those are you?

In any case they're annoying and there are guides online to remove them. Given the spectre of Madcatz though, I'm leaving it alone until the warranty runs out just in case.

Nope, it's past 75%, it def. feels like it's hitting something then bouncing back. Mines out of warranty so I might have a look in the new year.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Watching this makes me reallyl want an artificial horizon indicator inside the ship.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

LCL-Dead posted:

I would like to get in on the DF streaming if at all possible.

PM sent

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Cobra IV is a bit rubbish. Get a Cobra III or a Viper IV for multi - role goodness

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Kuvo posted:

why cant i accept this mission?

Best guess is that you don't have enough cargo space available.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Zigmidge posted:

Are the weapon outfitting conventions still the same as back in, say, July? Gimballed Pulses being a main staple, missiles are all poo poo, etc etc? What major changes have happened there?

Also, can I help diamond frogs without space facebook? I assume it's still just do missions for them?

Yeah, if you want to help Frogs without Spacebook, go to 63 G. Capricorni and do Frog missions. Do Not bounty hunt or turn in bounties in Frog systems.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

3 posted:

Weapon sizes carry with them damage penalties against larger sizes of ship. IIRC Class 1 weapons do 66% of their listed damage against medium hulls and 33% against large hulls, while Class 2 weapons do 66% of their damage against large hulls. It's not really a problem if you're not focusing on tacking larger targets, but it is something to consider.

There are a couple of exceptions to this, as well. Cannons and railguns (i think?) will always do 100% of their damage regardless of class or target size, and shield damage is also consistent between classes.

So basically if you have multiple sizes of weapon mount, stick your lasers on the smaller ones.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

HJE-Cobra posted:

Overhearing the public announcements in space stations is the best, too.

"Loitering is a crime punishable by death"

Different stations have different voices and accents too.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Handsome Ralph posted:

Minor crosspost from the Steam Holiday thread, but I'm debating grabbing Elite Dangerous while it remains on sale.

As someone who was bored to tears by Rogue Galaxy (and promptly got refunded for it), but enjoys games like Tie Fighter, Freelancer, etc. Is this worth a shot at 15 bucks?

Andn if you join up with the Diamond Frogs, we will give you a direction to fly in. (mainly towards explosions)

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

If the PP factions offered normal missions that generated PP via a separate section of the bulletin board that would go a long way to making it less grindy because you could then choose how to support a power.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Some dude on the official boards got to one of the edges in a sidey, but it had an upgraded FSD

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Even if it took a couple of real days it would be nice to just be able to pay for our ships to be moved. Charge what you'd lose on selling the hull.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

I would have thought that at the least you need enough money to buy the bare hull back; at least then you can sell that and refit something smaller.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

I'm on a civillian killing mission atm and I noticed that the bounty has become 12k rather than 6k.

Also, player ships count as civillians. On one hand I feel a bit guilty about shooting down what was probably a relative newbie in a cobra, on the other, I have 51 of the bastards to kill, so every little helps.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Dabir posted:

Seems to vary by system. Had a very similar mission the other day where the bounty was 12k for a murder, but then another one in a system where it was only 2k.

Just realised it's probably due to power play. I'll see who Carmenta is owned by when I log in

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Helter Skelter posted:

Parking enforcement at stations is very strict.

Loitering is a crime punishable by death.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Got a message today that my client is both too old and too new.

:frontear:

(I assume it's just confused because they're in the process of doing a server patch atm)

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

BRB pooping posted:

Make it possible to sell materials you have, collected while exploring or mining or whatever, to other players.

How about just making the engineers cost more if you can't provide materials? I don't like the idea of non-horizons players being locked out of this if it provides firepower upgrades.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Sylink posted:

Is there still a bug where if you contribute to a CG then never collect it until after the next update you get the max payout ? Those were the days.

That one's long gone IIRC.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Friendly Humour - best thing you can do is to join the frogs, come out to Frog Space and we'll set you up.

If you don't want to join the frogs just find a nice system to work out of. An easy and safe way to make some starting money is to drop in on weak signal sources, pick up the most valuable stuff and sell it on the black market.

Also, go to Low Res points, wait until you see the cops shooting at something and then join in when the target is nearly dead.

P.S Canons are terrible. Go for two Pulse lasers or one Pulse/1 MC on your sidey.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Also - don't let people know - but we do have a IFF (Identify Frog or Foe) system in the Frogs. Just requires you to be on Discord.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Get out of the 'newbie' systems ASAP - they are not safe in open. If you don't want to play with Frogs just find a nice quiet system that you like the look of and call it home.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

..btt posted:

I have no idea what you're doing wrong, my X52 pro has worked fine on Windows 10 since the day the disk images appeared on MSDN across 2 motherboards. Can you try older drivers or something? Maybe some incompatibility with some other hardware or software you're running?

My X52 pro had a hiccup with the drivers, but I pointed it back at the local driver repository and it found the correct ones again.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Mikojan posted:

Apologies is this has been covered before but: will player factions be a thing? And will it eventually have an effect on the game world?

Who knows. We have a faction that we put into the game and has our lore listed on the system description, but we ourselves aren't flagged as members of the faction by the game.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Inverness posted:

So apparently in the time that I took a break from the game I was given a free Viper Mk IV.
We did that for you.

IIRC the Viper IV is slightly fightier than the Cobra III, but not as fighty as the Viper III. It is a fine multirole ship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

This all sounds like standard QoL stuff, but the engineers will be on planets, so you'll need Horizons to get to them.

• Locked thread