Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Arach posted:

Checking out the Beta. Feels like Bounty Hunting is back again with the Hazadrous RESs, lots of 300k Anacondas to pop. Someone of them even in Wings with Clippers. It's good stuff and with the longer time to kill with the penetration and powerplant changes it certainly worth while winging up for it.

Now if only I could actually find CQC matches.... :negative:

I could gently caress in Hazardous RESs, gimme 300k-600k cr anacondas erryday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Paramemetic posted:

Multicrew will come with ships you can poo poo out of your anaconda to roleplay a Protoss Carrier and that is all that I require in life to be fulfilled.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5e6eG6bXAQ

Needs more pylons.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

It's really sad because Saitek's stuff was really high-quality until Madcatz bought them in 2007. Madcatz fucks up everything they touch :(

I've got a non-Pro x52 from 2004 and it still works like a loving champ, I've abused the poo poo out of that stick and it's still perfectly aligned and all my buttons, scrollwheels, and hats work flawlessly.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Sep 28, 2015

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Hammer Floyd posted:

(Note: Does it sound like the computer says "Friendship Drive" to anybody else?)

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Shine posted:

With that said, I agree 100% on Goku being able to defeat Kenshiro and there are many facts that back this up with the proper research online.

Excuse me Kenshiro can definitely kick Goku's rear end, but I'd buy that Goku could beat Superman.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=po77bJk1DdI

I mean he turns around what would obviously be a killing blow without even doing anything to the guy.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Reason posted:

Has anyone managed to get the pinky trigger on an x52 to work when setting up keybinds in Elite? It doesn't seem to register when I try to bind pinky + other key.

You have to go into your Saitek Profiler software and delete all of the extra modes beyond Mode 1, 2, and 3. Then you unbind the pinky switch in that software by right-clicking it and selecting "unassigned", and save the modified profile as something recognizable (e.g. Elite.pr0). Once that's done, load that profile when you plug your stick in and it should allow you to bind the pinky switch properly. The profiler uses the pinky switch as a modifier for Mode switching so Elite won't see it properly unless you do that.

E: It sounds complex as gently caress but in practice it takes 5 seconds.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Oct 15, 2015

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Adult Sword Owner posted:

Here we see the majestic Anaconda carefully laying its eggs in a nearby asteroid

So did a few million surprisingly quickly in a Hi mostly because of incidents like above. Buuuut two things

1) Wow I just realized my shield is literal poo poo
2) I run out of power FAST with 4 weapon pips, and I even take massive amounts of heat. What am I doing wrong?

Here is me

http://coriolis.io/outfit/vulture/24A5A4E3D5A4D3C0v0v0k---42f32j4v2h.Iw19kA==.Aw19kA==

Feel free to mock the shields

Do you really seriously have a class 3 C shield in a class 5 slot?

This might work a lot better.

http://coriolis.io/outfit/vulture/24A5A4A3D5A4D3C1e1e0k0400025j452o2566.AwRj4zyA.AwiMIy3Ug===

This Vulture should be pretty solid, beams on a vulture really are pretty bad due to the fact that it doesn't radiate heat well, nor does it have a lot of power to spare. You want a B Shield cell bank to get the extra charge out of it, and each cell is ~50% of your shields.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Libluini next time you come home from the black, here's a neat game to try with random exploration if you ever get bored of just jumping system to system.

E: I'm probably gonna try this when I reach the core, and do that for about a week or 2 before heading back home to sell data. I'll obviously forego the lives portion because I'll be ~26000 LY from home, but it should generate a decent amount of "First Discovered" systems for me.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Oct 20, 2015

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Because frontier just grabbed all the levers and yanked them backwards. What's lovely is the people on the forums crowing about how happy that they are that the missions got nerfed because how dare you expect to make credits in a somewhat reasonable amount of time because the old elite games you had to work so much harder for everything.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUgo831-1DU

This is great :3: best copilots ever

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

I can tell i'm gonna get tired of the SRV noise, it's like they fired their sound guy and replaced him with an idiot.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

AndroidHub posted:

To anyone who was doing Sothis Gold hauling for money, they have noticed that it was bugged and have made it so that it caps at 20 again.

:frontear:

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Finally after a long-rear end time I have found the Milky Way's brown eye

Ignore the spiderweb of cracks on the canopy, I am. :ohdear:

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

chaosapiant posted:

I'm making this trip now. How long did it take? Every time I feel I've travelled some distance, I zoom out and it looks like I haven't moved.

It takes ~12-18 hours of flight time at a steady pace, 9 hours if you're moving at a breakneck speed. Of course that's only counting time you're not faffing about doing other poo poo, it took me 5 days 3 hours 44 mins 40 seconds to complete the trip, due to work and other poo poo.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Libluini posted:

:psyduck: I always feel so lazy when people do this poo poo in a couple days. It took me 7 weeks to cross half the distance when I travelled to the galactic edge. And this is counting only the time I was actually playing steadily.

Even if I could force myself to stop everything except jumping, it still would take me at least 30 hours, 60 is more likely. That's still about two weeks to the center of the galaxy if you have other stuff besides Elite to do.

I still stopped and honked at lots of poo poo, and scanned more terraformables than i could count and a handful of earthlikes too. My return trip is going to be considerably slower, probably taking the better part of a month, i'll probably get back around the same time Horizons drops.

E: Im gonna include some pics I took on the trip.

A binary pair that was <1 ls apart, the lithium dwarf was almost entirely inside the crash line of the larger star, it's impossible to fly between the two.

Some rock ring I dropped into on the way to the core, no idea where, but pretty nonetheless.

Yay more binaries, and you can actually fly between these two.

A small, crispy, ringed planet that is orbiting very close to its B-class star.

Love can bloom even when two ships are caught on the edge of the largest gravitational singularity in the galaxy.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Oct 24, 2015

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Libluini posted:

This reminds me, I had some big fight long ago on the official forums because I was of the opinion A-scoops are a waste of money if your B-scoop is already large enough. I don't want another fight so I won't recount all my arguments here, but I personally disagree. Sometimes B is enough.

And yeah, I learned the hard way I'm not of the right temperament for fast travel like Orange Juche does it. Back when I travelled to the Taurus Pulsar, I thought when coming back "6k light years? I should be able to do this in 7 hours, two days tops!". Nearly burned me out and it still took me 9 hours for 5k light years. :shepface:

I prefer the slower way, on some days I even only play CQC!

Oh no, I definitely felt the siren song of burnout calling, and it took all my energy to reach Sag A*, as it was I loitered there for about 14 hours just sitting, and then jumped about 200 ly up above Sag A* and logged out, due to not really wanting to continue going anywhere right now.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

slidebite posted:

I have yet to come across a single black hole. Anywhere. And I've had it since beta.

:saddowns:

Although I haven't been looking either so

Maia B is the closest one. Black holes are extremely rare, and they're worth the trip to go see.

Maia is about 450 LY from Goat Space, so you can go there and be back in about 30 minutes, and if you check around and scan all the things that short little jaunt is worth about a million credits with an Advanced Discovery Scanner and a Detailed Surface Scanner.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

TheresaJayne posted:

Yes we need to own Jita
:frogout:

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Adult Sword Owner posted:

* Says SR should break scan locks (I don't think it does?)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPYH8gB2uTc

Here's concrete info on how SR works, with testing.

Small ships:
Target lock not affected at <250m
Target lock lost after 7s if >250m

Large ships:
Target lock not affected <550m
Target lock lost after 7s if >550m

Simple as that, internal heat doesn't matter, what modules you're running doesn't matter, it's either it works or doesn't. I would guess you would not be able to lock a target outside those ranges if it already had Silent Running going too.

So if a Stealth DBS is outside 250m and has silent running on, it is unlockable unless you had locked it prior to it triggering silent running, and even then you lose lock if you don't close within 250m in those 7s.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Oct 30, 2015

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Parallelwoody posted:

Yeah if you aren't slamming full throttle and boosting through the slot then you're doing it wrong.

If you're not strapping yourself into a suicide sidewinder or eagle and slamming yourself into 200 million credit monuments to autism that go speeding in and out of spaceports at a deadly speed you aren't doing the game right.

E: as soon as I get back to the bubble i'm going to head to a well-populated area and do this thing.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Now that I've hit the neutron star belt above the galactic plane, I've really slowed down. I think I've moved about 500 ly back towards home, and I've basically scanned everything I jump to, I'm moving home at <1ly per jump atm. Ill probably speed up when horizons drops, but until then there's no reason to rush back.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

tooterfish posted:

You don't faceplant into those things, they faceplant into you.

Yeah those High-G arms swing around at an absolutely terrifying speed, it's really just best to fly around their arc completely than to risk getting tagged by one.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Libluini posted:

Uh, I don't want to disappoint you, but you're aware Jita is in another galaxy in another game, yes? Just in case, you also can't fly the Death Star nor the Enterprise in Elite.

Some nerd paid a lot of money to name a system Jita. In an ironic twist, there's nothing there.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Sultan Tarquin posted:

I've always wondered how the ships dissipate heat in the vacuum of space :ohdear:

Infrared radiation, it works, they use it on IRL space stations, but the radiators are loving huge, so space magic.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

They've also added an Onionhead T-shirt.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Pilchenstein posted:

A fair bit from playing boths sides of that big combat CG ages back and a huge chunk from a weekend running Sothis missions before they nerfed them.

Is Thrudd's still the weapon of choice for finding routes? What's considered a good cr/ton rate these days?

Thrudds is long loving dead, https://eddb.io/ is where it's at atm, though always always always the best routes will never be in an online tool.

There's some other neat looking one but it's really difficult to read and gives inconsistent results.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Literally Kermit posted:

We will probably have irl coffee mugs before we ever get in game decals.

Vistaprint will gladly make irl coffee mugs if you have a transparent DF logo. $12 USD.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Dongattack posted:

How do you find minerals and whatever that the SRV can interact with on planets? Just drive around aimlessly or is there more to it?

Use the Wave Scanner, as the scanner travels left to right across the HUD you will hear a noise and see a bright line in the general direction of where the thing is. As you get closer the tone will change and the line will get shorter and more defined as to where the thing is. It doesn't define distance so you still need to use the Mark I Eyeball and your regular scanner to help pinpoint the thing you are looking for, but it will get you close enough that those things will work.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Anyone bitching about relieving tedium in this game should just go ahead and nail their genitals to a block of wood.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

TheTrend posted:

Hey I'm pretty ok with ship transfer being hideously expensive, so as to allow you to trasnfer from time to time as your base of operation changes, and taking maybe 24 hours to move a ship vs it being instant. I think all of that is a-ok and not too harmful. That said I'm an EveLite Dangerous kinda guy.

This is a bad opinion by a bad person.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

I don't have 24 hours to wait if I want to move a ship, it'd be DOA as a feature because it would be much easier to just go loving get the bastard myself. Also, paying a significant chunk of the ship's value is a pain in the dick, but bearable, as long as I get the ship now, not next week. I'd rather not pay a significant chunk of cash to get my ship moved to me to be honest.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

illectro posted:

Flying through the core in my 39ly range Asp and I'm reduced to one letting one jump at a time, this is painful. Help a bit if I set the load slider to pretend I have 100% cargo and lower jump range, but the game just grinds when I try to plot more than 100ly ahead.

There's a magic number calculator you can use. You can either read this thread and make a google doc with the formula in it to figure out your jump plot range, or download this tool and have it do it for you.

Having done multiple trips through the core, this is the only way to do it and stay sane.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ysqGpTD1NM

Video link for people who can't read.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Aug 22, 2016

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

DreadLlama posted:

Bet you someone flushed their ring down the space toilet. That's why they want their poop back.

Space goatman lost his space wedding ring

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

I updated this game and went to check out one of the generation ships because why not, Generation Ship Thetis is appropriately creepy as gently caress. Go there and listen to the logs in a dark room with headphones for maximum effect. It's orbiting Nefertem 6A if youve not been there yet. Now I need to go and visit more and check random systems for listening posts.

E: someone needs to do that spectrum analysis poo poo on the last log entry, it's just a broadcast of the signal the generation ship picked up, I kinda want to find the originating planet of the malicious signal.

E2: tried to run it through a spectrum analyzer on my phone but it wont let me zoom in on the waveform :rip: not gonna pay 5 bucks for the ability to do it either.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 13:20 on May 13, 2017

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

:eng101: Fun Fact: with the neutron highway, the Colonia trip was about a quarter the length of my original, pre-horizons Sag A* run in a 32ly DBX! :smithicide:

:smith::hf::smith: yeah I made the same Sag A* trip in a pre engineers DBX. I'm on a scoreboard somewhere I'm pretty sure.

Number 162, would have been like number 2 instead of 14th for the DBX class (got to within 2k ly of Sag A* with no breaks under 13 hours) but my PC poo poo the bed and I had to wait on Newegg to deliver a new power supply.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 13:52 on May 13, 2017

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Fojar38 posted:

Wait there's a list of people who have made the trip to Sag A? Where is it? I wonder if I'm on it.

If you want to be on that list look up the a
Sag a* challenge via google and follow the instructions in the post. If youre going for the buckyball classic list (what im on) you cant use engineered ship or the neutron boost highway.

Its pretty grueling tbh you want to die but when you get there and submit the time it feels pretty cool

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

TyroneGoldstein posted:

Feels good. :unsmith:

Took a month, with detours around 37K LY.

I have a post on here somewhere back in 2015 when i reached Sag A* for the first time, and there was a dude there in an Asp and we took a screenshot with Sag A* in the background. It was very much a "Dr. Livingstone, I presume?" moment.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

jubjub64 posted:

Had anybody here listened to the "We are Legion, We are Bob" audiobooks? Man, something like that in ED would be amazing.

yeah i read them, they're pretty good.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Blind Rasputin posted:

How do I go about getting that diamond frogs decal from the CG? I’ve turned in the mission and can’t seem to find it anywhere.

6-8 months for delivery :frontear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

AzureSkys posted:

I started to head there and at the beginning of my 12 jump trip I encountered a dwarf star. I thought I'd see if I could try the FSD boost thing for the 1st time in my Asp X only to not have the yellow border not show up as I approached it. So just as I hit the jet I was forced out of supercruise. It took a fair while of bouncing around as all my modules failed until I finally blew up.

Needless to say I've not done any rescuing yet.

You need to remember to untarget your destination system. You will not be able to high-wake out of the star's jet. Do a supercruise jump and just fight to keep your ship aligned in the general direction of the supercruise escape vector.

Source: I did this last night because I was in too much of a hurry to properly line up a pass, escaped with a canopy at 20% all other modules at ~50% and my hull at 60%.

Also thirding the flying through the very end of the star's cone. Do not attempt to fly through anything but the very tail end of the star's cone, just line up with it with the star behind you and fly outward away from the star through the cone, so that unless you get flipped 180, you won't crash into the exclusion zone.

I've flown through several dwarves now succcessfully, haven't tried neutrons but I assume they will be much easier.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Dec 15, 2017

• Locked thread