Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf
Is this game still good? I'm wanting to play again but I haven't played since season 1. Do goons still have a presence in this game?

E: when is season 3 generally expected to roll out? Are they on a 1 year cycle or are they doing the "it'll be finished when it's loving finished" routine?

One in the Bum fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Oct 5, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf

Libluini posted:

Neither, we're still in season 2. We're in the beta for 2.2 right now. Drops in a couple days, then 2.3 and 2.4 are probably following in Winter/Spring 2016/2017.

Don't expect season 3 before Summer next year.

Edit:

And yes, we still have a large presence in the game. See the other thread.

Awesome. I think I'll be jumping in this weekend. I read the pgs thread last night and just want to gage if people were still playing or if interest had fallen off. Do you guys play exclusively in open? I remember being on a goon private group server during season 1 when Harry's monkey balls hangout was the place for goons. Looks like you've moved on to another system.

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf

INTJ Mastermind posted:

Why do people pay real money for paint jobs in a game without real multiplayer or a decent third person camera?

At least you have a functioning game here. Look At star shitizen. They pay $750 for picture of a space ship for a game you can't even play yet.

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf

Sylink posted:

How do the tourist visitor beacons work? I have the passengers and I'm at the target one but nothing happens to the mission?

There is a bug on missions that have multiple destinations. After you scan the first beacon, sometimes the mission is not updated with the location of the second beacon. If you can manually find the second beacon, the mission will still work, but good luck with that.

I had it happen and got frustrated to the point I just said "gently caress it" and ejected the passenger.

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf

Sanzuo posted:

Is the "sell all modules before trading in your ship" rule still in effect? Or did they update that?

I still do. Haven't heard that they changed anything.

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf

Shlapintogan posted:

Looks like gems are still working. What's the cool new place to offload at?

Any anarchy system with a blackmarket. I'm using boyajian vision in rautandji and getting almost 61k per can.

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf
Looks like draco is out of civil war. :rip:

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf

Libluini posted:

Still two women away from equality, but well, progress!

That's because women dont understand vidya game development.

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf

Max Wilco posted:

Why is it recommended to avoid Saitek products in the OP? I picked up Elite: Dangerous during the Fall Sale, and I haven't had a chance to play it yet, but I found my old joystick, and it turns out it's a Saitek ST290. Are Saitek products not really well made, or is there some other reason?

If you already have a stick, use it. I have a pre-mad catz era x52 and it works great, even after all these years. My friend bought the x55 about a year ago and has had good luck with it. But if you're looking to put money into a new product, probably best to avoid the risk and go with another brand. The recent sale of saitek to Logitech could revive the brand, but there's no way to know if the product you buy today isn't a pre-logitech manufactured product.

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf
Elite may be grindy af but it's still the best spaceship game were going to see for years to come because Star Citizen is never going to be an actual thing

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf

Bettik posted:

All this talk of playing in Open - who the hell would, ever? As far as I can see there is zero upside and potentially a few downsides.

Open play is truly mystifying to me.

Never not open! I like seeing other players, it at least keeps the pretense that this could be a multiplayer game.

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf

Propagandist posted:

17 Draconis is doing it's thing again, :getin:

Hot drat! Time to get paid bitches!

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf
I use mines. Park directly over the skimmers, about 130m up. Drop mine and start logging off when it's about half to the surface. The mine will get all 6 skimmers, missiles only ever killed 3-4 per shot.

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf

SteamyV posted:

New to this and about 400ly away from 17 Draconis. Is there something specific that makes it better than other systems in the Civil War state?

You can stack massacre missions and there is a surface base that spawns skimmers that count as mission kills. Kill 6 skimmers and re-log and the skimmers are back. You can complete all your missions in a few minutes and go back for more.

Other systems closer to the bubble offer a lot more missions of other varieties, making it more time consuming to stack massacre only missions. They also don't always have a surface base with skimmers that are owned by the faction that is at war.

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf

sethimothy posted:

http://yourock.fyi/image/firsttodiscover.jpg

(timg bbcode doesn't like this image and it's a fullsized screenshot so I'm not just gonna post it so raw link it is!)

Such a small thing, but I'll be honest, finding something in this universe is something I've wanted to do since I first picked up the game and the fact I pretty much tripped, fell, and landed on it (especially in the middle of a place it looked like someone had otherwise picked clean) is a big deal for me. So thanks for encouraging me to come out this way. :D

Gratz on the find!

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

don't worry you have until March 1 to buy them :downs:

Or Jan 3. Euros do their dates weird!

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf

Chrysophylax posted:

Right now in the beta it's still a bit iffy what all of this means, but there's exactly a 20 missions/20 passenger split everywhere.

So 20 missions, and none will be locked for lack of cargo space, rep, etc. ? That could be somewhat helpful. What about the possibility of getting mining missions if my ship isn't equipped as a miner or combat missions when my ship is configured as a cargo hauler? Is their system smart enough to figure out that level of granularity?

Oh who am I kidding, I know it won't be "smart" about anything.

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf
Something different I'm doing this time around is that I'm not suiciding back to paradisio. Some missions give engineer commodities, including modular terminals, so I'm using a ship with enough cargo capacity to carry them all back to the bubble when this is all over. Last time draco went to war, I threw away enough modular terminals to unlock Qwent. This time I'm gonna make sure to keep all the mats for later use.

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf

Tippis posted:

GAAAAAME!!

I find this really neat neutron highway — 4 stars in a row, 160–200 Ly apart, letting me clear about 750 Ly in just those four jumps. BAM! “Could not connect to matchmaking server” (while in solo). Get back in to find myself sent back 14 jumps before the first neutron star, over 1.2 kLy away.

I hate you, Braben, and everything you stand for! :argh: :argh: :argh:

At least it looks like all the system scans still are counted, so it'll be a quick re-tread without having to scan all those water worlds again, but still…

I got rolled back too. Thought it was just me but looks like it's not an isolated case.

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf

Apple Craft posted:

Delete that post before Frontier sees it and likes it.

:vince:

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf

Gonkish posted:

Been trying to get back into Elite, and I picked up an Anaconda with a fighter bay. I have a 7A shield gen in the thing, three class A shield boosters... and the shields are made out of tissue paper. The optimal mass for the shield gen is like 1060t, I'm at about 1070t without cargo (0 cargo in combat, obviously)... and a single Python can and will chew through a full shield AND half my hull before I can kill him? What am I doing wrong here? I have no idea, it's been months since I actually sat down and tried to kill anything in the game. Seems like every single NPC ship can out-turn me, outshoot me, has better shields, better weapons, infinite chaff that lasts forever, etc. My chaff does nothing, they all seem to be perfectly accurate... it's weird. Not even my fighter can do poo poo and it has fixed weapons. Every single ship is an immortal god, and I'm frail as gently caress. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. :smith:

Try putting a thermal resistance engineer mod on the shield generator and 6 boosters. 3 boosters get resistance mods and the other 3 get heavy duty. With a mix of tank 4 and 5 mods, you should be hitting the soft cap for resistances and shields will be much more tanky.

Also consider biweave shields instead of the regular for the increased regen rate.

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf

I said come in! posted:

Has there been much in the way of quality of life options and general accessibility for scrub tier players? When I originally played this game, back at launch, it was on a friends account and I found the game had an impossibly steep learning curve that I could not figure out.

By now, there are plenty of YouTube videos and forums threads about how to do most everything. Just alt-tab and get your google-fu on.

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf
Some people have no idea what qualifies as an "exploit" anymore. Every part of the 17 Draco pinata is a confirmed working as intended game mechanic. Mission stacking, 6-8 figure payouts, skimmers counting as mission targets, no mission reset on death, all within the design of the game. Maybe it's too powerful as-is, but that's far from an actual exploit. gently caress forumdads!

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf

LividLiquid posted:

Yeah, I just started too, and though I've amassed about half-a-million credits in two days or so just hauling data around and bringing cargo with me on the runs, there's this whole other game out there that people are playing that I have no idea how to get into and all the guides always assume you know things you don't.

There's a pretty steep learning curve with this game, but easy to pick up and tough to master is how a game should be, probably. I'm just having a hard time expanding my knowledge beyond pick up data, buy cargo, fly to X, sell data, sell cargo. Rinse, repeat for faction gains of almost nothing to stations and corporations I'll never see again.

But if Freelancer was any indication, I'll fly around space for hours just watching a number go up by varying increments.

Join up with the frogs. Following along in discord will help you get into the game more and give you the sense that things are happening around you. Then when you're feeling up to the engineer grind, do that so you can min max your ship.

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf

Breetai posted:

Passenger hauling

Speaking of passenger missions, does anyone why a single missions reserves the whole cabin even if it's not full? It sucks rear end to have 16 seat cabins occupied by 3 passengers and being unable to fill the rest.

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

(it just helpfully doesn't explain why this is relevant).

I should be shocked by this. But I'm not the least surprised because :frontear:

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf

Pilchenstein posted:

Do the cutter and corvette cost about a billion each to a-rate?

With lightweight hull plating, you're about half a bill for a vette and about 600 mill for a cutter

And cheaper if buying in discounted systems.

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf

Breetai posted:

So why is a missile launcher best for this?

Because your targeting will not lock on to skimmers like they do for normal ships in combat. Dumb fire missiles allow you to manually aim at the ground and the explosive damage will hit all nearby skimmers.

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf

DarthBlingBling posted:

"control your NPCs"

OK bub

HA! I wish we could control our NPCs. But I'd settle for not being interdicted by npcs when I'm ally to them. I'm max ally DF and still get indicted by npc frogs WHILE carrying mission cargo for a DF mission.

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf
For anyone considering a hotas purchase, I recently bought a CH Products Fighter Stick and Pro Throttle. It's in the same price range as most saitek hotas and much higher quality. Also cheaper than a TM Warthog by about $150.

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf

Breetai posted:

So from what I'm seeing, the gravy train is about to end, but it's still possible to farm the dregs as long as I don't mind becoming Wanted and practicing my fast docking/trying to make the 10Kls trip back to the station without getting interdicted and killed?

Eventually they stop giving the massacre missions until the next war starts. There is some delay from the time war ends to when missions stop because they are already in the queue. If you're online and getting missions, go for it, if you're not already in system, best to wait until the next war starts. It seems as though people are actively pushing the system to war as fast as possible so the wait may not be long.

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

So, I'm trying to unlock Ram Tah to get those :sicknasty: utility mods, and his requirement is 50 classified scan databanks. Okay, sound excessive, but maybe they are easy to get, right?

Wrong :trumppop:

They come from scanning transport ships, I'm finding them at a rate of ~1/100. So, here I am, flying around high-population systems in trade lanes scanning random transports and passenger ships in the hopes that 17 of them will drop this one mat which is used for nothing else...

Like, who sits around and thinks "let's make people fly around systems not even doing anything for hours on end so that they can really feel like they earned it."

Gameplay Status: ~immersed~ :pcgaming:

They come as mission rewards too. I got all 50 from the 17 draco loot pinata.

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf

Pharnakes posted:

Also just got this, trying to follow this advice but not really sure how? How do I find a good system? what is a good system anyway? I've done a couple of missions and could afford an eagle, which seems like it would be better for combat than a sidewinder but I made most of my money doing a couple of crash site rescue missions and I don't think the eagle with it's 2 cargo capacity could do that since the lander takes up 2 itself.

Yeah, eagle is not that good for general mission running

Pharnakes posted:

I'm having a problem where I take a mission from a station go out and do it then when I come back there is no more missions available, even though when I left there were plenty. Sailing around from station to station randomly takes so long, is there no way to find out in advance if there are any missions there without docking?

Missions are randomly generated when you open the mission board. When you get to a station and there are no missions available, you simply got a bad rng roll. Log out and switch game modes to get a fresh mission board. Rinse and repeat until you have all the missions you want.

Pharnakes posted:

I tired hanging out at a nav beacon but not much seemed to turn up, and often those that did would die before I could even identify them as being hostile because it seems I need to get absurdly close to a ship for it to be a recognised target? Like I could visually see these ships on my screen but until I slow boated over there and practically rammed myself up their rear end my computers couldn't see them? In the end I identified the friendly police and just followed them around since they seemed to have sensors that wouldn't compare unfavourably to the average late stage diabetics eyesight but then I found they were massively faster than me and as above I often couldn't get to the fight before it was over.

Target the ship and point your nose at it. You can scan from much farther distances. Bind keys for "Target next s hip" and "target next hostile".

Pharnakes posted:

it seems if I bought this eagle I would stand a better chance with that, but like I said at the moment 100k of my 130 k came from picking stuff up off planets so I'm not sure I can afford to give up that capability.

E: apparently also some missions pay you out in items as well as cash, and if you have insufficient cargo capacity to take the goods you can't accept the mission? I'd happily wave a couple of units of technobabble just to be allowed to do the mission and take the cash. SO if I did get the eagle that would restrict my mission option even futher.

Yeah, it sucks. Once you buy the eagle, you can change mods on outfitting to get more cargo space, but you'll be giving up something else. with this setup, you could have a cargo capacity of 6T and not give up your shield generator.

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf

Pharnakes posted:

In the end I bought the eagle and since it had enough jump range sailed down to the goon system from the op. In Capricorni I found some res sites, but when I flew over to them and sat on them for 10 minutes or so I didn't find any ships with bounties. A couple of times ship's where fighting each other but none of them had bounties so I didn't join in at all. I notice the system is Anarchy, does this mean that there are no bounties applied because there is no law? On the other hand when I read the E:D wiki about res sites it seemed to imply that anarchy would result in better spawns.

In the end I settled for doing courier missions for the Diamond Dogs to get some reputation and maybe get some better missions or something, I don't know. Also is the goon group in this more or less dead? There's loads of people in discord but hardly any playing E:D. Or is everyone just out getting slaughtered tonight.

Sounds like bad rng on not getting bounties. Because the game is all peer2peer instancing, you can jump out of the res site, go to supercruise turn around and jump back to the res site to reset the instance.

Anarchy systems will still have wanted npcs but anarchy aligned factions, like the frogs, will not issue bounties for wanted pilots. Thus, the frogs will not benefit from turning in the bounties.

The goon group is still very much active. I think discord displays the names of everyone even if they're offline so it may seem to be less active than it really is.

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf

Astroniomix posted:

Don't the massacre missions only spawn during a war?

There is a delay between war ending and when the mission board stops giving massacre missions. So there is a window of time to grab some last minute missions but you'll get a bounty when you kill the skimmers.

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf
Credits in this game are less like a currency and more like xp in an rpg. There is no player economy, no trading, crafting or any of the typical things you'd expect to see in an mmo (engineers might be analogous to crafting except you can't make money off what you can make engineering). They could replace the credit display in the ui with a progress bar where you unlock bigger ships with better mods as you fill up the meter and it wouldn't be functionally different from how it works now. 17 drac (or sothis/creos, precious gems, etc.) is really just like power leveling in WoW. No one there cares if someone gets to level 50 without grinding like they're "supposed" to in games like that.

Now, if we actually had player to player trades, player crafted ships and modules and an auction house like system, there would be more reason to have tighter controls on these bonanza situations.

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf

Photex posted:

Someone talk me out of buying this game, I've been looking at it forever and

The game is good. Play with goons and make pubbies cry.

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf

DancingShade posted:

The Marco Qwent invite will take 2-3 days of mission board scumming before it spawns.

That's not a joke.

That's just bad luck. I got mine in less than 10 board refreshes.

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I bought this game on a whim, what do I do?

Check out the diamond frogs thread in PGS. Jump into the discord and we'll get you started.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

reminder that if you judge the value of a game by how much you can gently caress with "pubbies" you're probably a broken human being :dings:

The most fun I've ever had with online games was when rival player groups were at odds with each other to the point that loving with each other became THE game over the actual designed mechanics.

• Locked thread