Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

I'm thinking of picking this up on Xbox. I played the demo a while back and remember that the controls for flight and menu navigation were quite cumbersome and overwhelming to say the least. I really just jumped into it without training though. Crashed hard my first few landings. It's a beautiful game and the sound effects/environments are great.

Do the controls get easier with some practice? What's the overall experience one Xbox? Can you use the headset for voice commands?

What's the easiest way to start playing solo and make money/get moving with the storyline and all. I think I'd mainly like to explore and shoot pirates and get big ships. Reminds me a bit of X3 tbh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

This game rocks on the Xbox. The visuals and sound effects are probably what does it. I got myself into a cobra mk III with c class modules after about an hour of RES sites. I hear horizons and everything might drop for the xbone in the next month or two and that's going to rock.

How does this power play stuff work and how do I get involved in it? What are conflict zones?

Is there a way to find which stations sell what modules?

I'm hoping for a single kind of do all ship that I can long range explore (want to see earth and some of those nebulas) and do combat in. Is that the cobra or is there something better? I got an eagle too, which is really fun to fly. I probably won't do any trading.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Did the Xbox version get a big update? What was included in it? I noticed when I get near a planet an orbital mode starts but I can't seem to land on the planet at all without my ship overheating and exploding. Is there a special fsd way of flying through orbit to land?

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Is there a beginners guide to engineers and horizons and all the stuff to do? I just got it on Xbox, made my first planetary landing and landed as a big rear end planetary city. Just god drat they knocked it out of the park. I don't have a clue what to do though. I've noticed that at resource sites killed ships drop some sort of materials. What are those for? They don't fill up my cargo or I can't seem to sell them. The first engineer I have in my menu is redded out too. I'd love some help.

Also, I get killed pretty quickly now. How do the number/letter ratings work for gear? I'm trying to get better shields and weapons but I think I've messed up because me eagle turns like a brick now.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Dolemite posted:

Well bummer. I was hoping that even though the types of accounts are different, you could "sync" the possessions, money, etc. from the PC account to your Live account and vice-versa.

I definitely don't want to start over again if I bought the Xbox version. But, I might reconsider. How does the Xbox version of the game compare in terms of graphics? And does the Xbox version have any slowdown or stuttering when landing on planets that plagued the PC version? I'm already using an Xbone controller on the PC, so I'm used to playing on a controller.

I've only played the Xbox version but I think it works well and it's good. Of course, the graphics do seem better on PC from the videos I've seen, and I wish I could customize HUD color like they do. It works though and is chill as gently caress to go roaming around the Galaxy. Since I don't personally know PC graphics first hand, I find it beautiful and the few planets I've landed on it worked well. No crashes either. I'm still in my first cobra and trying to get my sol permit and love it.

The best drat thing about this game is the sound effects. They are worlds away better than any other space game.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

I just want the sol permit, and one mission only increases my federation rank by 10%? It's going to take a while.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

I'm using a cobra mk III as my all around ship and its working pretty well. The more I kit it out the better it gets. It fights well too with a lot of power micromanagement. I think I want a viper next.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Am I reading right that it has incendiary rounds? Is there an added like, flaming dragon effect there?

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

I'm up to a mil now and have a fairly well kitted out Cobra mk III. What's the next step up combat vehicle wise? How would I, say, kit out an asp explorer for far travel and go to an engineer site, get good guns, and bring them back to my cobra?

Or am I forced to collect materials in the same ship as I go to the engineers site with? There's no way to transfer them to an asp for movement?

Does aligning with a power play person and doing stuff for them help in any way at all? Those weekly 500k bonuses seem pretty nuts.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

MisterZimbu posted:

"Furthermore, in order to provide a more realistic experience, ships will no longer be able to travel faster than light."

"Furthermore, traveling at relativistic speeds will now be accurately modeled. 5 minutes of frame shift time will now equal ~1 month of in-game time. Your expected commodites pricings may change."

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Still the best elite dangerous video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8R4JbYmKb4U

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Been playing this game for maybe two months and on the way to some Hutton station out in alpha Centauri did I just realize your ship has two types of fuel. :cripes:

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Dabir posted:

The thin, solid bar runs your systems, and when it empties it refills from your main tank. The main tank also powers the FSD.

Oh good god. I noticed the thin solid bar and that it was almost empty. I thought then that it was my system fuel and the large bar was my jump drive fuel. The station was still... Really far away. So I said gently caress it and FSD'd out to a different system.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Once in a system, is there a way to see what a station sells and which missions it has without docking? It's a drag to dock all the drat time. (Without Using that website)

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

I like the new engineers mechanic but I've only unlocked Todd the blaster guy and I have a hell of a time grinding for these cracked and modified firmwares and other materials. What is the easiest way you guys use to farm these things? I tried a base raid which was cool and fun but I couldn't find the last data node despite driving all over the place. Took an hour of time too.

I may finally have enough for a vulture and I'm thinking dual large pulse lasers. How's the engineer grind for pulse laser mods?

Do you guys use the power play bonuses for RES bounty grinding? I've started to make maybe 2mil an hour on a good one but always wondering how to make money faster.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

If I'm cheap and just want to explore out to some nebulas and stuff dumping 10mil into a diamondback explorer would do more than enough, correct? Save a lot of overhead vs an Asp.

Ship looks like poo poo though.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Ciaphas posted:

I've been waffling about making a bit of money switching between rare trading (booooriiing omg), mining (relaxing in a not-boring way) and missions. Guess something else to try before things kick in to high gear with the Dangerous Games might be exploration, which I haven't done at all.

At my budget and ships (Cobra 3 and 4, Viper 4, 2.4mcr) what can I buy for roaming around the galaxy a bit, maybe landing on the odd interesting-looking planet? Or should I wait until I can afford something else?

This is why I asked about the diamondback. I think it's perfect for this.

Too bad they just stole the ship model from battlestar galactica.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

What's more important with a vulture fit? Shields or armor? How do I fit this thing for max RES killing. Right now I've spent enough to get A grade power core and distributor, and shields. I kept a planetary landing bay in it (probably a horrible idea).

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

My vulture doesn't have the jump range to leave the system without an A class FSD?

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Ok I am now rocking this vulture and can make 3mil an hour in a RES. Pulse lasers are kind of lame feeling though. What other weapons are good to use on this?

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Nicetalga4Meltdown posted:

Also multicannon :getin:

I just put two C3 multi cannons on the vulture. You just made this game stupid hilarious. Anaconda power plants melt in a single clip. Since the thrusters on the vulture can keep you inside almost any ship's turn radius you can pop just about anything without even being in the firing arc of their guns.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

I don't know how it would be possible to afford a clipper or cutter when RES farming isn't really that profitable. Unless people are actually making 3mil an hour for like a month or two at a time.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

I don't understand conflict zones. I go to a low intensity one, side with a faction, about two seconds later a hundred NPCs are on me and blow me up. Like, what in hell kind of mechanic is that.

I've even tried to stay with the green pack and not shoot until they do, but that doesn't work either.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Flying around in this machinegunning vulture I almost like NPCs interdicting me. :getin:

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Which engineer takes all those shield scans? I have about a billion of them.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

I just left for the coal nebula on my first exploration trip. Exploring and scanning poo poo is actually pretty relaxing, and drat do you see some cool things out there. The first time I jumped into a close binary star system though holy poo poo.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Just found my first ringed planet I could land on. Amazing. One jump out of the coal dark region (which turned out to be dark as gently caress)

Had a little picnic.

Now headed back across to that American and Elephant nebula.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

It's those boat rocking mechanic sounds your ship makes while cruising at near 100c. The ocean is near.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Eek. I'm way outside the bubble right now in my first Asp and didn't put heat sinks on it and my distributor is kind of just big enough for one boost if I need it. I have already jumped into binary systems but thankfully on their outside edge.

How many jumps until I die from a tragic space accident?

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

One thing I've noticed while out here is that some planets have that blue ring around them as if you can land, but I get close and end up getting the message "dropping out, too close." I go into orbital flight first but never drop into actual glide mode. What am I doing wrong there?

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Made it to the North American Nebula tonight.

The nebula lighting is much more pronounced than I imagined. Pretty worth the trip.

I think I'll bebop around on the trip back in and then do some missions until the July patch hits and materials gathering gets easier for the engineers.

I only saw one earth like the entire time out and about. Three water worlds, and named a ton of planets. I felt like the systems were repeating themselves in an area with a brown dwarf and four pink rocky planets for a stretch.

How far out do you have to go to start seeing neutron stars and black holes?

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

I heard they were reworking the in-game model for the dyson sphere out there.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

What just happened

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Whoa. That planet is that close to a belt?

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Only like 90 jumps until I'm back in the bubble.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

loving hell. Been exploring for probably 5 days, two nebulas, probably 150 systems scanned. I am throttling down to reach the long sight base and don't realize how fast I'm actually descending and lawn dart my asp right into the loving surface. :cripes:

I kind of wonder how much money I lost. I know I didn't personally name anything more cool than a gas giant with rings and a water world. Oh well. I can probably make the money back in 30 minutes of RES but kind of likes the exploration naming bit.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Wait I was wondering this too. On the Xbox the map is a little funky. What is the best way to find these star clusters full of cool stuff? Just turn on non-sequence and zoom in/out a ton until you spot a cluster?

I think next trip in heading as close to the core as my patience will allow. Exploring is more like listen to podcast/audiobook while scanning.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

When is the new patch coming that lessens the grind for engineer components and such? I totally lost interest in this game because finding those components is so stupid.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Wait what. You can get out in your srv and repair your ship??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Isn't that the Independence Day Resurgence ship hieroglyph symbol everyone in that dumb movie was ranting over?

• Locked thread