Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
To those of you who have played this (or played this on PS4)

This video, here:

https://store.playstation.com/#!/en...p-now:null:null

Makes the game look fairly exciting... and pretty.

Are these just extremely rare and otherwise contrived moments that will never happen? Are they cutscenes in a lot of cases? Or just CGI game trailer? Does it look that pretty on a PS4 Pro?

I'm hovering over the buy button.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
poo poo I would be looking for in this game:

Immersion

deep controls but not hardcore flight sim " oh you forgot to say echo bravo at the end of your call to air traffic control and now you are loving grounded son!" minutiae.

Finding new cool poo poo to marvel at and such...

Occasionally shooting bounties and having that action be somewhat fun/not janky.

:)

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Like, I don't mind actual downtime. Sort of like a really nice mobile idle game with better trappings.

If it's ALL downtime, that's a different story.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I bought it. Now let's see how long it takes for me to realize I hate it. :\

;)

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Stsrts game.
Oohs. Ahhs.
Does training.
First one good.
Docking still installing. Does basic combat Training . "Nice, he's harmless, you only need a couple more hits"

Chases around ship peppering him with bullets for the next 25 minutes....

pauses to gripe on internet.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Alright so right at this moment I'm kind of pissed. I'm doing the Combat Training. 1 guy on screen. Flying around.

The game is stuttering (it's on Performance settings) I'm on a Pro. It's also screen tearing. I watched a PS4 livestream with the devs and there was screen tearing and they were all like... "oh hey, it must be our capture device we don't see that here on our end."

What a bunch of lying liars.

When I say Stuttering, I mean the other ship, and my turning, are moving kind of jaggedly. It just cropped up a few minutes ago.

[edit] Restarting fixed it, so far. Weird, almost like a memory-leak behavior.

Feenix fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Jun 28, 2017

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I took a video for posterity. Will post later.

Also, I complained about how long and hard it was to shoot in COmbat Training. Upon my reboot, I'm doing this again... and there is a snap-to lead reticule that either was not there before or I unwittingly turned off. So, sort of walk that gripe back a little. :)

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Look how janky this got!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scHPBlY_exU

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

I don't really see any visual issues. What exactly is the problem?

Other than that, you don't even have the enemy targeted. Your guns can't converge on something they're not targeting, and it can't give you leading guidance for the same reason. The minigun needs to be lead, but the laser doesn't.

Maybe its not coming across in the video. But trust me. It's not smooth. It's much smoother when it started and after a reboot.

Also, no, there is more to it than you say. Even when I was targeting him the first time, no snap-on reticule came up. It looks like it toggles on and off (thanks tutorial! for not telling me!)

I wasn't trying to track him there but show how not-smooth and screen-teary it had become for some reason.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Ok so doing the docking training. I'm in the base (Azerban City) I'm over the target circle area of the dock. My landing gear is down. I'm facing the way the chevrons are pointing me (back outside). I just keep sparking and bouncing off the ground and now I'm out of time.

What the gently caress.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Granted it's been years since I've done it so I don't recall if you even have to for the training mission, but did you request landing permission from the station?

Oh, Yes. Definitely. I did that. I'm all good... I even have the countdown window for my docking.

Wolfechu posted:

If it's telling you to face the exit to land, somethings hosed up, you ALWAYS land facing the arse end of the station.

It's not TELLING me to face the exit. It's TELLINg me to align with the chevrons on the pad. Which... are pointing to the outside. Sooo... naturally.

I will try that though.. :)

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
YEah that was it. This tutorial still leaves a lot to be desired. But there you go! I did it. :)

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I just want to reiterate how peeved I am that there is ample screen tearing and judder on Pro on Performance Settings when the Devs were on a PS4 Live stream a week ago like "oh, hey, people are saying there is screen tearing on our stream. We totally don't see it! Must be the capture device! Don't worry!"

That is some underhanded poo poo.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Hey game, I appreciate you tried to show me the ropes in Tutorial mode. You think maybe you could tell me how to access my loving email inbox up top left? I have 3 messages and no way I can tell to read them...

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Man your inevitable meltdown is going to be amazing :discourse:

(Not excusing frontier but we’ve been down this road before.)

Eh. I mean, it's not worth ruining my day over. Just kind of lovely for the devs to act like it's totally not something that happens in their game. Just about everything I do has some kind of stutter or pause before it executes. Screen tearing. Low rear end framerate (Single digits) when it pans back to center before it opens the galaxy map. Super low framerate as it spins up the FSD.

It's really unfortunate. Hopefully the game sinks its hooks into me before I get tired of how badly this seems to run.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Buccaneer posted:

Try Arena mode

I hear no one is there. Is that to say it's better or worse?! Lol!

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Can you dial up or down the six's is headlook sensitivity? I'm having to crank my hand like 90+ degrees.

I will look later, just asking while phone posting.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
So I tried to Supercruise and I got all hot (maybe I was too close to a star? I don't know...) it beeped about aligining with Escape Vector. How the gently caress do I find what that is?

[edit] Found it. That tiny rear end blue dot.

NExt question. I got a mission to pick up trade data on GD215. I found a nav beacon. The mission says I'm supposed to "Search Signal Sources".

What am I supposed to be doing??

Feenix fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Jun 29, 2017

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Was trying to do a mission and not sure if I got lost or the target was moving. (Some kind of signal scan) but I kept overshooting. It's like my choices are "SUPER CRUISE AND loving BLOW PAST EVERYTHING BY A MILLION MILES EVEN IF I DECELERATE FULL ABOUT 10 SECONDS OUT" or "EXIT SUPERCRUISE WITH ENOUGH TIME AND HAVE TO loving GLIDE FOR 45 MINUTES."

Anyhow, that'll probably come with practice but it is annoying the poo poo out of me.

Right now I'm limping to the ONLY thing I can reach, sadly... and it's taking forever. 3.97LY (unchanging in Supercruise...) 4.1d slowly counting down.

What the gently caress can I do here?

[edit] OUt of gas. Can't find a place to refuel.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

This is awesome. Not sure if on PS4 though. All the same, think I'm just gonna destruct or whatever. Not that rich, not holding cargo. Still learning, still first ship, etc.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I've been doing such crazy things as flying, turning and looking around.

I'll post some videos in a bit.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Nice piece of fish posted:

You are loving with us, now, right? You are aware of the difference between jumping and supercruise, right? Default two different buttons?

I am aware of the difference.

Supercruise for fast in-system travel.

Hyperjump for loading new system instances.

I was flying towards the one that far away because it was the ONLY thing that wasn't red "low fuel" on my navigation tab. I'm still new to to this game so there's a lot I don't know because that's going to take some time, but I was flying in the ONLY direction it didn't tell me I couldn't make it to. I can't Hyperjump. Was that a different system? I guess I'd never make it there, either.

Ok! PS4 PRO videos of lovely performance. I'm on Performance settings, standard FOV.

Screen Tearing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hPuQb2Hjnc

Screen Tearing and also jerky framerate: Fighting 1 ship in Tutorial
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scHPBlY_exU

Screen Tearing flying in a straight line with nothing else on screen:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmY0NrMwhNE

A few seconds in, the planet/scenery "jumps" or the game has a massive frame skip gap. This happens a lot. (11 seconds in)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDHptofR9Jk

The one video I haven't shown (didn't capture one yet) was how hardcore the game frame rate lags when you look back forward right before the Galaxy Map or System Map loads...

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Also has anyone mentioned the "sweet spot" of 7 seconds eta to drop down your speed to the blue zone in super cruise, ensuring you don't overshoot your destination?

Yep. I've been trying that. Except if you slow down at 7 seconds (or start) it's either still been too late, or you seem to find yourself still kind of far away. May just need to learn it better, but that HAS been what I have been trying to do.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I saw some talk about 4 pips of "energy' / 'resources' you could assign depending on the situation.

(ie: more shields, more thrust, etc...)

Where do I find that? How do I do that?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

tooterfish posted:

Here, I did a super technical diagram in mspaint for you:

You have 3 subsystems: Engines (ENG), weapons (WEP) and systems (SYS).

Capacitor is the amount of energy available to each individual subsystem, it will drain when you perform certain actions (for example boosting drains ENG, recharging weapons drains WEP, recharging shields drains SYS). Allocating pips to a subsystem will make its capacitor recharge more quickly, and in some cases give a passive bonus to that subsystem too (pips in ENG increases your base speed, pips in SYS increases your shield's damage resistance etc).

Each subsystem can use four pips max and you only have six pips total to go around, so you have to make trade offs. Some people switching out pips in a fight constantly, depending on the situation. Upgrading your power distributor will increase the total capacitor available, and the rate at which they recharge.

YEs, thanks to both you and pik_d.

Just trying to find out now how I fiddle with those pips and redistribute on PS4.

[edit] While I'm askin dumb poo poo.. man I feel like I need a walkthrough of how to even use this Galaxy map. It's loving dense and hard to read and I don't know how to even get to a different lower layer in order to mark a waypoint to my mission destination. Yikes.

Feenix fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Jun 29, 2017

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Hexenritter posted:

Hey new PS4 people, hope you're having fun with this.

Just a quick tip for you if you're having a hard time finding stations in systems you've jumped into. Near the sun in inhabited systems is a nav beacon. Target it, fly to that magic 1Mm distance while going slow and drop out, just like you do with a station Now, on your left display one of the tabs is contacts, select the nav beacon and head toward it. Let it scan for a few seconds and it should upload the locations of all local stations.

Also, planetary transitions are more art than science so just give it a little time and practice.

Maybe I don't understand how to scan? I am 35m away from the Nav Beacon. I have it locked. How do I scan it? Usually I scan a ship or whatever by pressing X on it and letting it scan a few seconds.

I am not sure how to scan the Nav Beacon.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Thanks guys! :) I am so used to these multi-button commands I forgot about raw-dogging the D-pad.

And I am afraid of just hitting buttons. I did that when I was near a space station when I thought I needed to back out of a menu and I hit O and boost into the dock. LOL.

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

IMO, SA =! Google

Better hope I don't see you in space.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Just gonna say, I was out in the middle of nowhere, and all the sudden I see like 5 ships fly in. One is a pirate with a Wanted level and a bunch of other ships. (Can't tell if NPC or Players) They come streaming by, and I'm still in that "holy poo poo there are too many buttons what do I do?!" phase.

So somehow, I get my poo poo together and am like... scan scan scan... WANTED... ok... SQUARE BUTTON, AIM, FIRE FIRE FIRE OOOH OOOH I'M DOING THIS! and he blew up and I am 22,500 richer. Thanks for listening.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Hexenritter posted:

Triangles are ships that have deployed their hardpoints, and hollow blips, triangle or otherwise are players. Players also have the CMDR prefix.

Enjoy your pew pew money.

Oh yeah, I know how to tell them apart. It's more that poo poo happens fast and I can't have my brain track everything fast enough, etc... :)

But thank you for the tip. :)

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

It took me ~18 months to figure out that the Nav Beacon you target in supercruise and the ACTUAL Nav Beacon are two separate things. hth

gently caress.

I guess I should thank you that I don't have to wait 18 months to figure that out. :)

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
*logs on*
*is not even sure he's 100% sold on the game yet*
*buys Frontier Points because he needs to be sick nasty*

[edit]:

Nameplates, engine thrust colors, laser colors. Are these all ship specific?

Also: AM I going to be in this starter ship for a long rear end time?

Feenix fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Jun 30, 2017

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Ok, so they are multi-use. That's good. My second question was merely to determine if it was a one time use if it was a waste to buy cosmetics for a ship I'd toss soon, or if I'd need to be in the starter ship for like, 40 hours.

Thanks! :)

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I'm sure it probably doesn't matter, but do we have an agreed upon Nameplate style?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Mike the TV posted:

I still occasionally use my Sidewinder after playing for 3 years, but it's personal preference. If I were you I wouldn't buy a paintjob until you find a ship that you absolutely love - you'll know the feeling.

I'm doing Nameplate, Lasers and Engine thrust. I'm going to hold off on ship kits and paint jobs until I find my groove. )

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I promise you, I am googling around. I still don;t understand missions that involve Search Signal Sources in _________.

I'm just flying around unsure of what to do.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Just found my first shipyard. No Adder, just an Eagle. Should I get an Eagle? Or hold out for Adder. Multi-purpose is kind of the best option right now, but, I don't know, Eagle is kinda sexy. Less cargo, I guess

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Ok I found an Adder. Gonna take the plunge!

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Help me out here a little... I read up on the wiki and it sounded like the Adder had 4 hardpoints. But the Adder I just bought has 2? Also I thought it had space for 1 crew, but it says I dont have adequate space. (unless 1 crew meant just me?)

[edit] NM on the hardpoint. It's a medium one and I see it now. Just empty.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Been away, and busy. Just getting back into this. Just bought a fuel scoop, yay!

I just took a decent mission that says go find 6 units of SIlver from a Suitable Market and return them to the space station.

I thought it said to access the Trade Routes to find a good price or whatever. I just accessed trade routes and got a ton of colored lines... I bought Trade Data for 100 Credits from a random destination on one of those lines. How do I utilize this into, and generally commodity-trade?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

A. Beaverhausen posted:

I hope someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but any refinery system should have those. Refinery or industrial, I can't quite remember.

Thanks! Also, if I want to roleplay a bit outside of the game space I can bring up the EDDB and pretend I'm just using some kind of galactic internet database, I guess :p

• Locked thread