Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arach
Oct 3, 2003

Dive! Dive! Di... are you diving yet?
Grimey Drawer
Checking out the Beta. Feels like Bounty Hunting is back again with the Hazadrous RESs, lots of 300k Anacondas to pop. Someone of them even in Wings with Clippers. It's good stuff and with the longer time to kill with the penetration and powerplant changes it certainly worth while winging up for it.

Now if only I could actually find CQC matches.... :negative:

Arach fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Sep 20, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arach
Oct 3, 2003

Grimey Drawer
I wish CQC would hurry up out of Beta for a bigger player base, all you can really reliably-ish find is DM right now, and I'd much prefer the TDM rotation. I could gently caress in that Arena.

Arach
Oct 3, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Dante80 posted:

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=185551

Good update for anyone interested in trying CQC, it seems like matchmaking has been fixed.

I've heard that before, but I hope it truly is. CQC is great loving fun.

Arach
Oct 3, 2003

Grimey Drawer
I was originally looking at a X-55 when they were having shocking stock issues last year. Ended up going for the CH combo, don't regret it one bit.

A mate hooked themselves up with a T Flight, which I hear is a grand stick, but ... I lost my mind looking at the map and having to trim off control options I consider clutch. And I don't for the life me know how you guys manage not drowning in buttons and hats.

Even with my rig I'm using Shift modifiers, a plenty.

Arach
Oct 3, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Landings are looking pretty barren - and still kinda photoshoped - for something that's going to be Out, or at least in Beta in within 60 days.

Arach fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Oct 3, 2015

Arach
Oct 3, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Dante80 posted:

An example would be the first iterations of gas giants we got. We went from this to this

And I've been dying to go into atmo on a Gas Giant since they teased this during the Kickstarter and go scoopin' with style.

Arach
Oct 3, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Kryopsis posted:

Out of all the ships best suited for combat, which one has the longest jump range? Imperial Eagle?

Depends on the Price range we're talking about. If we're taking Sub 1 million ship class, Cobra or or Diamondback Scout would be the way to go, but expect the 4A FSD to run about 1.4 million alone, but they can still put up a fight.

Arach
Oct 3, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Update is up on Steam. 1.6 gb.

And a warm welcome to our new XBONE friends.

Arach
Oct 3, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Can confirm mining is p. good now.

As already mentioned. You get basically x3 to x5 more fragments than 1.3. No refinery bin management, and limpets are much smoother in practice. :iia:

Arach
Oct 3, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Type6 (edit: Possibly Diamondback Explorer, but I'm not too sure on Max Cargo), but if it's a fancy Vulture an Asp would be sweet.

Arach
Oct 3, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Methinks this leaked out of the Newsletter early.

:magical:

Arach
Oct 3, 2003

Grimey Drawer
For those that would poo-poo the glorious potato world as a boring height map as a non sphereical dull rock... it's kinda what they're going for...

Only suggestion I'd make is let's get a few more goddamn huge crater impacts on there.

Buzz is getting ready to punch some fools.

Arach fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Oct 9, 2015

Arach
Oct 3, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Naming ships will happen some day. I hope rather than just being some extra text there is some mechanics to go along with it, like a persistent ship reputation to boost trade, rep, bounties, merits, carto data payouts the larger the ship rep. Only to have it reset to zero upon ship death or losing 50% of accrued rep when swapping ships. Should develop at much faster rates for cheaper ships.

This was probably suggested in the ddf back in '12. But It'd be cooooool :coal:

Arach
Oct 3, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Chaff, Silent Running, Sinks you name it don't stop scans for poo poo. At large stations just beeline from 7kms straight through the toast rack, for Police interdictions submit, boost and engage cruise (not hyper). If they follow you to an outpost, well you'll eat the fine.

The fine isn't scary, it loving tanks your faction rep though.

Arach
Oct 3, 2003

Grimey Drawer

:vince:

Arach
Oct 3, 2003

Grimey Drawer

OriginalPseudonym posted:

The implication on this is that if I buy the "Horizons Preorder" now, I won't actually be able to play the base game until Horizons comes out? Is that accurate?

Yes.

Arach
Oct 3, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Sothis was never going to last. Took me from 660 million to over a billion total assets.

C'est la vie.

It was so much godamn fun, the flight time anyway not the board refreshing.

Moral to the story FDev - players will quite happily do missions, but your Elite ranked player base isnt going to dance for peanuts.

The mission payout scaling based on rank should be ramped up considerably at the last four ranks. Elite rank missions should be completely absurd.

Arach fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Oct 19, 2015

Arach
Oct 3, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Sard posted:

Oh boy oh boy oh boy oh boy

:siren:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AaV3FP5HJ48:siren:

Federal Corvette!

:allears:

Oh man. Do I want to fly air support for a wing of SRVs.

The beta must be coming up soon. It's just GOT TO. I neeeeeeeed it.

Arach
Oct 3, 2003

Grimey Drawer
I ended up dipping my toes into some Fuel Rat action this evening, and took on a few missions.

It's surprisingly fun, and kinda addictive. Real people whom are genuinely thankful you gave a poo poo for 10 minutes. It's awfully nice :angel:.

Arach
Oct 3, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Solid. Any comments I'd make would come down to personal preference, so that said.

I'd consider Cannons over Multicannons, because they're more effective against larger hulls and your beams are plenty to swat the little guys.

I'd say it isn't worth the extra fuel tanks - it rarely works out you're just ultimately reducing your maximum jump range because you're hauling more fuel especially so when you've got fast enough scoop on there.

Consider double chaff. It's guarantees escape in most bad situations. The Clipper can outrun just about anything, but it's a fat target. Dropping a booster, for an extra chaff and swapping to Gimballed Cannons also gives you the power overhead to have your Banks on when deployed.

Arach
Oct 3, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Anyone know how I get OpenTrack working in Beta?

Arach
Oct 3, 2003

Grimey Drawer
So I've been throwing a bunch of hours at the beta, and my basic and rambling take away is that ...

Landing is cool, but ... gameplay isn't there to support it in a meaningful way. The one fringe case I can come up with us the FSD booster may enable Commanders to reach previously unreachable systems and nebulae (ie Lemon Slice and Helix). So once Commanders are sitting on 300 of their little rocks to enough of the synthesis end of things for when they need it, there isn't any additional gameplay loop Planetside to get you down there.

Driving the SRV needs some more work, I feel the terrain has more control over the buggy than steering does regardless of speed, but that just may be as a result of using a joystick and not really bashing it out at full range for steering. It makes it a real pain to drive, I'm having to really use the Handbrake a whole bunch as a toggle to basically stop-go-stop when you need a bit more precision when driving around on big inclines, resource collection and docking. I'm just not feeling it with a stick, I'm tempted to bind in a Xbox Pad just for the buggy, but I fear it won't work well with the HOTAS and oodles of USB devices like my headtracking that are already pouring data into Elite.

Also did Roll in the SRV just break in Beta 3? Steering is still fine, but roll doesn't appear to be bindable separately.

Also "Vertical Thrusters" is just "Vertical Thruster" because even though it's boundable to an axis there is no down force thrusters as far as I can tell - something that would be super handy on low-G worlds for traction.

Landfall from the ship perspective needs some tweaks, but thrusters don't feel right when you go from 0 speed hover with the auto thrusters, to manual thrusters for descent and you just rocket down. Whatever numbers are running on the inside they're not equivalent and it leads to really odd situations.

Mineral collection is neat, the benefits are really cool, but it's a frustrating roll of the dice for encounters rather than "For this type of mineral I need to go ... here". I'd prefer if resource nodes came in large clumps at particularly interesting terrains rather than being a random scatter that they seem to be.

I'm LOVING the changes to the FDL. As my premier fuckin-in ship I'm glad to see it better - given the choice would have taken Distro over Plant though. The Corvette is arguably too good, the Cutter is arguably not good enough. FDEV really need to rethink the "Boom and Zoom" angle because none of the ships tailored in that way are much fun, perhaps they need to rethink where the bluezone on the throttle is in those craft. High location for snub fighters, low throttle location for high speed "boomers". Because bottom line the Cutter is cool ship, that's utterly miserable to fly.

The "reskins" Scout, Cobra, Viper look poo poo up close. The Viper basically looks like they've just thrown some additional mesh at it as if the old Viper is still there just clicked into the fatter outer frame.

Little UI changes are amazing. Navigation points being occuluded and bindable toggle for Orbit Lines is real nice.

Arach fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Dec 5, 2015

Arach
Oct 3, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Is there some trick to getting a Horizons steam key? It's not listed in Partner Keys in Store like the E:D one is?

Arach
Oct 3, 2003

Grimey Drawer

ManicJason posted:

That button is still missing for a lot of people, myself included.

Running the Steam E:D install as a non-Steam game still lets you run Horizons for now.

FYI: Button seems to exist for me now.

Arach
Oct 3, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Oh hey cool they added /played.

:psyduck: Oh god what have I done with my life. :psyduck:

Arach
Oct 3, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Roberts must know I'm in the Elite camp. I keep getting PTU invites for Star Citizen after I gave him :20bux: back during the Kickstarter in 1982.

A Tartan Tory posted:

- Use SRV jump boosts to beat the furthest traveled system from sol, which is currently around 65,380ly.

Godspeed. I had half a mind to try and reach some likely untagged Planetary Nebulae with FSD Injections, but after getting 300 rocks, and enough for a one whole grade 3 injection my mood rapidly went to "gently caress this".

Arach fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Dec 24, 2015

Arach
Oct 3, 2003

Grimey Drawer

xiansi posted:

There are 17 types of ice :science: and there's a chart:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ice#Phases

The top of the chart is *Tera* pascals!

Bonus points for being able to Google that (without using the word 'phases') and not have the top links be for Pokemon :sigh:

Watch out for Ice-9. It's a doozy.

Arach
Oct 3, 2003

Grimey Drawer
As a part-time fuel rat when I'm cruising around bored, the rats thirst for crazy long range rescues. Because its cool as poo poo to rescue anyone more than 100lys from LHS 3447.

If you are an Australian player I'm game. If your not then I wouldn't want to run 40kly only to have instancing issues :)

Arach
Oct 3, 2003

Grimey Drawer

iRend posted:

e3: Wow, I have 3 rats headed my way. This is just silly.

Coolies. I checked in on this one this morning. I understand you've got one UK Rat ~21 kLYs out, and two AU Rats on route from the bubble. If no fish were biting I'd jump in the Asp and head out, but it sounds like you're covered.

Arach
Oct 3, 2003

Grimey Drawer
So any quick fix to get my Steam install okay? I've got Horizons installed and E:D uninstalled. I'm guessing this might just be a whole new reinstall?

Arach
Oct 3, 2003

Grimey Drawer
I wonder if system requirements have changed from a 970 (last listed rift reqs) to a 980 (listed for vive/Horizons) for the Rift store.

Arach
Oct 3, 2003

Grimey Drawer
I mucked around with this idea a little. There isn't much of a difference, more than 2 seconds or so between locked 60 FPS Vsync and 130 FPS uncapped.

Arach fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Mar 21, 2016

Arach
Oct 3, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Helter Skelter posted:

Pretty much all of them. The Cutter is debatable, though, thanks to its poo poo maneuverability.

After a few days in the Cutter. It is kinda garbage, then I realized it has some overtop yaw action like the Clipper so you can do okay with it, but you need to lean hard into the yaw.

Arach
Oct 3, 2003

Grimey Drawer
:supaburn:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72tamMH57Is:supaburn:

Arach
Oct 3, 2003

Grimey Drawer
I wasn't part of Distant Worlds (but in my defence I did see Zulu Romeo's giant rear end in a top hat in the sky and hit Elite in exploration) but this was too cool not to get.

Arach
Oct 3, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Man I wonder how quickly Frontier is going to cave on building rep with engineers to get access to upgrades :allears:

http://us2.campaign-archive2.com/?u=dcbf6b86b4b0c7d1c21b73b1e&id=13b2599b4f

The Grind is fine - and after triple Elite and getting Cuter/Vette ranks I know the true depths of madness - but the dice roll for special augments has got to loving go.

Arach fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Apr 30, 2016

Arach
Oct 3, 2003

Grimey Drawer

tooterfish posted:

We bitch because we care. We care because it's fundamentally a good game.

Someone put this on a gold plaque and send it to Frontier .

Arach
Oct 3, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Logged on tonight to get started with Engineers.

Let's grab some Soontill Relics...

"Sorry guys that system's controlling faction is at war which has reduced production to zero. We'll increase that threshold"

Fine then. Let's head off to Merope and grab some MetaMaterials...

"Sorry guys Meta Materials aren't dropping anymore, we have confirmed this internally"

For fucks sake FDEV. Come on.

Arach
Oct 3, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Knifegrab posted:

:siren:Vive Users!:siren:

So its true they hosed up the patch notes but apparently they did change the UI scale for Vive Users they just aren't letting us control that scale, its done automatically. I haven't tried but apparently playing in the Vive is way better according to some, will try later tonight.

If the UI differences on Vive are suppose to be 'better' I don't think I agree. The UI icons look grossly low-res and stretched out - like the dock icon and the compass circle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arach
Oct 3, 2003

Grimey Drawer
I think the depth of the upgrades they've added is pretty compelling. I have to date been considered one of the people drinking the ED koolaid. Engineers makes me sad.

I wish going about getting those upgrades was in any way fun. It's loving miserable.

A few random thoughts from hitting this up pretty hard today and getting to Rank 3 with Farseer and Rank 1/2 with the other lot.

1. You're forced to equip largely pointless equipment (Wake Scanners) in the name scanning high wakes for drops. loving NO ONE WANTS TO DO THIS.

2. Particular drops being dropped from ships of various roles (such as traders) require you to murder them. Engineers will make evil space butchers of us all.

3. Having to find mineable only items for a particular upgrade requires you to outfit (or even change ships) entirely build your ship around finding one ton of gear.

4. Should you dare change ships to something a little better to find a particular cargo drop (mine or mission or something) good luck handing that off to the ship you actually want to upgrade.

5. We have to refresh Mission Boards and hope that one of those missions will give you materials that are found ONLY via mission givers. You then need to pray that it's a mission your ship is actually outfitted for and can actually accept. Hey FDEV - if I have a blueprint pinned, take the loving hint.

I think I spent half of my day scooping poo poo. I'm pretty done with scooping poo poo. I'm coming into 2.1 with 300 pointless rocks, I'm already at 100/200 data and 400/600 bits of junk. I will hit the caps, and be in a position where I'll won't be able to make poo poo.

The number of tiers on drops and the number of categories for them is *entirely* overwrought. Perhaps I'm just doing this to myself, because I'm going about this in a Courier - for no other reason than I think it looks rad but Engineers STRONGLY leans on having a solid multirole craft.

Arach fucked around with this message at 12:00 on May 28, 2016

• Locked thread