Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
Is it true, is Frontier the Capcom of PC game development?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

So I think I'm gonna take another exploration trip. First one was in an Asp, should I do it again in that ship? I have 55mil in assets.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm trying to do an imperial navy promotion quest to bring in a stolen black box or something, do I just go look for unidentified signals in the specified system?

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

The latter

But it's only in space in that scene I think?

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

So the expansion is ~$45 if you already own the game. I have a feeling I should get it at that price rather than wait for it to go up when the loyalty discount ends.

Is there a comprehensive list of what content is going/expected to go in the xpac?

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

Literally Kermit posted:

Other than the player factions blue-balling, this update owns. Mining is so much more fun and time effective now! Can't wait until they loving nerf that because fun is never allowed :suicide:

Care to give a quick rundown of the how/why/where of mining in this release?

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

Can't get into the game, trying to start gives me an unable to load commander data error, anyone else see this?

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

Tried mining on my Asp with 2x medium lasers. Only annoyance is they run out of juice pretty quick, but they dig faster than 4 drones can collect everything. Anyone have an Asp fit you'd care to share for mining?

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

lol check out the traffic report in Sothis:

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

A Cobra is a good ship to run the rares circuit in.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

When can I get Horizons on Steam?

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I've set up my Asp for deep space, but the weight and power requirements of the planetary vehicle hangar kind of fucks up the build I liked. Plus, I feel like I need a shield now, because planetary landing isn't as straightforward as using a landing pad. I blew up a DBE with a maneuver like in the GIF above already while learning.

I have a point I'm still unsure on, but does the higher quality power plants actually improve thermal dissipation?

EDIT: Does anyone have that whitish-blue instrument color scheme handy?

EDIT: I have a loaded out Anaconda in mothballs as well cause it's a chore to fly. Has anyone made a deep space + planetary exploration fit for one they'd care to share?

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

So before I submit this bug report/ticket, has anyone had non-0% progress on their Imperial/Federation rank? Or had it move?

I'm not sure I gained % on the bar but I did get the federation navy ascension quest I was due for. I just never go to federation space so I hadn't seen it until today.

Does anyone have a link to a thorough guide about how to scout out excellent trade runs? Like if I've got a Type-6 and 125mil in the bank, it seems like I could make a ton of cash smuggling (imperial) slaves. However, I could really use some instructions and maybe some facts about how prices are determined.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

What even is the point of multi crew and fighters? Do so many people want to get into non-CQC PVP fights that this is something FDev needs to be on top of?

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

Chomp8645 posted:

Technically he said "delivery contracts". It's probably special stuff going to locations that don't get regular delivery service and/or it's straight up drugs.

It's probably not bulk cargo in any way, shape, or form. In fact almost certainly the opposite and he's taking small quantities of things simply because it would be too small a job for a real cargo ship.

Yea like if an anthropologist wants a jumbo jack or something. That's basically what the zero-cargo courier missions in Elite are.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

The gently caress does this even mean? Is he actually talking about ED? Or is the problem because he's trying to play it on a pong paddle or something.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

Yolomon Wayne posted:

It would be awesome if the passenger missions paid more if you had a nicer ship.
LIke a python would be normal pay, but a beluga or orca would give double.
Completing in under 50% of the time frame could give extra-extra and something like that.

Heavily doubt any of this will be available when it goes live, but one can hope.

Yes, Crazy Space Taxi please.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

In joystick news, Mad Katz sold Saitek to Logitech.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

Any currently good locations for lazy trading on M or L pads? I've taken a long break and it's too soon to get serious about anything.

EDIT: Right now I'm doing the rare commodities CG, only 1h53m left on the clock to dock at Hutton Orbital.

EDIT EDIT: Made it. What dumb station. Got 45 mugs and 11 gin tho.

Crimson Harvest fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Oct 19, 2016

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

Trying to source a 7A FSD for this Space Whale. Found a 7B but not gonna waste time modding that poo poo.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

Yeah but it's not always trustworthy. Basically the only source tho.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

Someone spoil me on the current cheesy way to get chemical manipulators, i blew up like 30 type 6s and got nothing.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

Sard posted:

Find an anarchy system with a tourist beacon and set up camp at it. Passenger ships will spawn in every couple minutes, they're easy to kill and the Beluga always drops a bunch of good hauler materials.

I think HIP 16094 is one such system.

Thanks. Killed 9-10 ships at that beacon and still haven't got what I need. Maybe someday the RNG will smile on me.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

I just went to Colonia and back in a Corvette... :smugbert:

I'm flying to Colonia in realspace :c00lbert:

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm probably not going to get better than this for FSD optimized mass upgrades, right?

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

...not without a hundred or so rolls.

Cool. I'm trying to make this Python good to haul some dang cargo and do exploration, what other mods should I work on?

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

Had a pretty easy time finding Vanadium for power coupling upgrades

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

apropos man posted:

How did you get that sort of range on your Python? I got 27 before I stuck military hull on it. Now I'm down to 25 :-/

Is it fitted for only light combat?

The hardpoints are empty and the power plant and distributor are downranked.

EDIT: The distributor isnt downranked in that screenshot but i downranked it. It's fitted like you would an Asp Explorer for cargo/exploration.

EDIT EDIT: Are proprietary composites still found at signal sites in Federation Election systems? It would be really nice to be able to play the game without all these dubious external resources.

Crimson Harvest fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Apr 4, 2017

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

Finally got what I was looking for, and a pretty good haul of it:

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

Did you fill the base pipes with sand or something?

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I've been working on engineers, currently trying to get an invite for Liz Ryder but the invitation isn't coming up as promptly as I'd like. Otherwise this is going pretty smoothly, but my Python doesn't even hit 40LY yet.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

apropos man posted:

I think you should look into a different ship if you want 40ly. By the time you achieve that in a Python you'll be flying an empty hull.

That's no criticism of the Python, just don't expect it to be leggy AND useful.

I guess it depends what you decide useful means. Mine's doing 36.7 unladen right now and I haven't yet been able to engineer lighter-weight components on all the modules that support them. I'm not sure that will get me where I want to be but I'm at least going to try.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I hosed up my binds and I can't figure out how to restore it. Used to be I could engage FSD with Dpad Down+B (xbone pad), and the same combo would drop me out of supercruise when approaching stations and the like. I'm unsure if its a limitation of not allowing multiple binds to the same button or just not being able to find the function in the settings.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

Is there currently a go-to station for long-haul cargo missions, or am I back to ferrying Imperial Slaves around for a while? I'm like 75% of the way through Tycoon and I'd love to cap that.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

Wow it takes a grind up to Dangerous combat rank to get sensor upgrades? Hell.

Is the Vulture still the go-to in newb combat ships?

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

Not having much fun with fixed frag guns on the Vulture, I think I must just be bad at combat piloting. I'll try something else I suppose. Beams any good on a vulture?

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

Breetai posted:

Traditional consensus is large pulse or Beam lasers on a vulture. Since they made grade 3 cannons and multicannons you might want to try one of those as a substitute, but generally speaking what you're trying to do with the vulture is to take advantage of its high​ maneuverability and it's outsized power distributor.

I personally prefer Beam lasers to pulse lasers, because even though they tend to drain your distributor a little faster, they do a slightly higher base damage to hull.

DancingShade posted:

Large efficient burst lasers with a charge enhanced distributor and you can pretty much do vulture combat with only 2 pips in weapons.

Am I meant to fit a size 5 shield on there/ Because I don't have enough power with a 4A reactor to mount any pair of large lasers.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

Breetai posted:

Oh, and sorry, meant to say burst not beam, beams are poo poo vs hulls.

Thanks. The beams worked out OK, I managed to do 3 assassination missions, but the enemy Fer de Lance was really difficult. I'll give bursts a try.

As for modifying this beast, I feel like I'll be less annoyed if I just have it shipped to the various engineers rather than try and fly it myself. drat 8 ton fuel tank.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

Angrymog posted:

Well, you can kind of do that - get in jumpy-ship, then call it over when you're there. Immershun timers tho. :(

Time isn't really my limiting resource, it's enthusiasm. I can order the transfer and do a million other things more fun than jumping 15LY at a time and refueling 75kg per second.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

Wow that asteroid base is really cool. I wonder if you can get lucky and have a a passenger want to visit one.

• Locked thread