Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Just so no one gets their hopes up, there is no and probably will never be any pvp with the faction stuff. You can fight other players but it has absolutely no bearing on the faction/power control of stuff beyond making whoever loses sad and maybe they do less for their side.

On top of that everyone can choose to play in a solo version of the galaxy and they have the exact same impact on factions/powers as anyone playing in the multiplayer version.

Maybe we'll organize some sort of pvp events with other player groups but that doesn't translate into territory control. It's not like eve where you shoot each others stations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

DarthBlingBling posted:

It used to be 300cr for any ship killed...

They've tried to 'balance' it 4 times now

They don't seem to want conflict zones to be profitable compared to any other thing.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

My previous go to spacegame was Evochron and it had no restrictions, you could accelerate as much as you want in any direction and keep adding to your velocity. Combats usually became jousts with ships speeding by at several km/s trying to land as many hits as possible as they streak past each other.

I prefer it the way ED does it. Sacrifice realistic physics for more enjoyable combat.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

No way to make a ramming macro on console is a major enough reason not to mix PC and Xbone together.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Exploration Python! :v:

http://coriolis.io/outfit/python/04D5D5A4D6D6D5C---------3f-----432i2f.Iw18eQ==.Aw18eQ==

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

GaylordButts posted:

Who is Emperor's Dawn? :confused:

Homegrown terrists.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Siets posted:

• Finally, not sure what it is, but NPCs seem to be dealing more damage and are more threatening in general. Several times tonight, I had to run from fights that I used to not have to run from. It feels like damage has been slightly increased from NPCs across the board, but it may have just been me tilting now that I realized I have another 2500 merits to go before tomorrow's reset which is probably not going to happen with these lovely mechanics being the way they are.

They put some actual penetration mechanics in now instead of the previous "your lasers go right through the ship I guess, whatever" and one of the repercussions is apparently larger lasers do more damage to hulls of smaller ships. Could be that?

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Space Skeleton fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Oct 8, 2015

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Gort posted:

Where's the best place to buy/outfit ships again? It blows my mind that the game's this old and you still have to go bargain hunting across the entire galaxy every time you want to get a new ship.

http://ed-td.space/

Players have stepped up and made some nice tools. They rely on people reporting what they find ingame and it turns out ED players are happy to help fill in the gaps.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Agoat posted:

Is online supposed to just dump you into space without any exposition? I have a contract but no idea how to get these military signals or whatever. Playing on Xbone.

It just kinda turns you loose at a major hub area of the Federation and lets you go at the galaxy with zero direction, yeah.

Protip: taking missions in a sidewinder is usually a bad idea BUT sounds like you grabbed a mission a 'winder can probably accomplish as long as you have a large enough cargo hold. If they want you to go out and find military signal cargo to bring back try cruising around the system it says in the mission (might not be the one you are in but it'll be close) and look for signal sources, probably weak signal sources. Jump into those and look for white contacts on your radar, that's loose cargo pods. Hunt around this way and you will likely stumble onto the items you are after pretty quick.

To scoop cargo you open the cargo hatch (it's on the right panel but you can also have a key bound to this) and then fly into it, watching the mini-game-like indicator on your middle left dashboard. When it's blue and centered you can scoop it.

#elitedangerous on irc.synirc.com is a great place for instant help too.

Space Skeleton fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Oct 13, 2015

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Anyone know of an imperial system like Sothis? Would be a great way to get imperial ranks while getting paid.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

deadlyrhetoric posted:

idk man. tbf, after 5 refreshes or so, the most i could get was two missions for 8-9 mil total, about half each.

it took me about 2.5 hours round-trip in my Cobra with an A FSD including the endless witchspace glitch and stopping to fuel scoop the few OBAFGKM stars on my route to and from.

i made a cool 1 mil on the rare gold for sale at sothis.

not to look a gift exploit in the mouth but people on this forum are talking about bringing in 9-figure sums and my experience doesn't match that rate of dollarydoos-per-minute.

It is a bit random but in an Asp you should be doing about 20-30m a run. Sometimes more. You can get on a bad streak of missions while refreshing though. If you have a low trader rank it might be more like 10-20m a run til you get that up but smuggling is the fastest way to raise it.

As you get more trader ranks you get more higher paying missions with fewer refreshes.

Try to save at least 10 tons of space for gold to sell at Skvortsov though, it helps DF a lot if several of us are doing that.

Space Skeleton fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Oct 17, 2015

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

deadlyrhetoric posted:

thanks. do i need to sell the gold at mother goat to increase our influence? or anywhere under our control?

Sell it at stations DF controls, so Skvortsov.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

SynthOrange posted:

Welp mining was boring as gently caress. What else is there to do? Smuggling's okay but long runs are pretty dull.

In the current CG you can be an anti-imperial terrorist and also get paid. I'd do it for free but hey, money!

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Galaga Galaxian posted:

As someone who doesn't give a poo poo about open world PvP, I wish more guns were more viable in PvE.

I did a bunch of kill missions today using railguns. It worked out great. You just can't bounty farm with them for very long but for missions the ammo isn't a problem.

I don't bounty hunter at all anymore so I'm just using the weapons I prefer. For CZs ammo will still be a concern though.

Space Skeleton fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Oct 18, 2015

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

PseudoFaux posted:

This has been brought up before, but after a 6 and 1/2 minute jump, I've got to ask, what the hell is going on?

I want to , but I wanna get enough to Aclass a DBE before frontier fixes sothis. I just wanna grab a random direction and just start cruising.

Are you in solo? Sounded like the long loads were mostly a solo issue.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Adult Sword Owner posted:

Wait but how

I'm trying to spec one out and I can't figure out how to get 500 ly range

http://coriolis.io/outfit/asp/05D5D5A4D4D5D5C----------050402f3f300f2.Iw18WQ==.Aw18WQ==

Do I have too many cargo racks?

Scooping is what I hate most about the run

http://coriolis.io/outfit/asp/04A5D5A4D4A5D5C------00040404f6040240020101.Iw18WQ==.IwBhrSumg===?bn=Long%20Hop%20Asp

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

They said in the stream that there would be different SRVs and that they also want to have modules and such for them eventually.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

What's the power like? Really annoyed at the limitations of the Vulture power-wise.

e: This looks like a dude who can shoot things and not have a power issue

http://coriolis.io/outfit/imperial_clipper/26B5A5B5D6A5D4C27271b1b0n0004042d4f5d355829272h.Iw18aQ==.MwBhrSuiyA==

:science: http://coriolis.io/outfit/imperial_...20Poison%20Dart

That will take any PvE this game can conjure up to throw at you, chew it up and spit back out credits.

Important to realize that the clipper is a weapon. When their shields are down it's 4sys 2eng and BOOOOST for the ram to knock them silly.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

That's a lot of lasers hmmm

I chose lower quality components because I can scare up 75m + insurance in relatively short order but breaking 100m is more dedication

Also you have no KWS, shame

Kind of wish there was a way to test drive ships so I can make an informed decision

The extra money from a KWS really isn't that much in the grand scheme of things. More shields means less downtime means more bounty hunting, if that's what you are into and then later when doing missions or CZs you don't have that wasted slot. Gotta dance with those triple clipper wings and the like in a HazRes so you can get those big bucks and a KWS doesn't help.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

I really like the pewpew combat in my clipper and between interesting combat situations I mostly do missions or haul. Interesting combat being CZs I care about and PvP.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

On the flip side there is a lot of fun to be had in the cheaper ships so more money and bigger ships doesn't necessarily mean more fun or better flying.

I got a bunch of money and ended up back in the courier for when I want to be serious for PvP or whatever because it's just so drat fun and good at it. I use a clipper for less serious stuff like general PvE because it's super style and good at taking missions of all kinds.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

They pretty much said they are avoiding showing us much more now so that we experience it for ourselves. I was hoping to see him fight a ton of enemies but maaaaan did he suck at moving and shooting.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

That is opt-in though, if you don't pledge to anyone in Power Play no one harasses you except the odd pirate every now and then. Or cops if you are a bad criminal person.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

I almost never get randomly interdicted unless I am on missions or have a large bounty in the system I am in. Very rarely a pirate sniffs around but only if I'm hanging around in supercruise for a bit.

The most I get interdicted is while hanging around a system with a pirate faction but even then it's not that much unless they are the controlling faction, but that stops if you ally with them.

Space Skeleton fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Nov 6, 2015

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Slashrat posted:

Got home from 3 months in the void last night, and just finished uploading the album from the journey. People who are not sick of pretty Elite screenshots yet can find it here: http://imgur.com/a/0XGPx

Did turning all that data in pop you straight to allied with DF?

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

The Clipper is supposed to be "fast but not maneuverable" but in reality once you hit the magical 720t with A rated thrusters it starts turning like an Eagle. I wonder if the Cutter will be the same.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

How much do you reckon a fully fit cutter will set me back?

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

We're getting onboard ship manufacturies which can make ammo so at some point you'll be able to have that module + raw materials in your cargo and craft missile reloads in space. That'll be sweet for medium and large ships.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Tirranek posted:

As a guy still in an Eagle with a desire to possibly fly an FDL one day, please tell me what you mean in intimate detail :allears:

There's only so long I can swing this around making engine noises:

It's getting megabuffed.

Zorgon Peterson has offered all of its FDL customers a free upgrade kit: slight improvements pitch and roll rates, a larger power plant housing (size 6) and more efficient cooling systems.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

For resetting what you're trying to do is get into an instance you didn't start. You have "your" instance with your stuff, which rotates missions as time passes and that is what you see in solo. When you're the first person in a station instance that is still your instance and if someone else shows up in your instance they see the missions generated for your instance.

The goal for swapping to open is to get into an instance started by anyone who happens to be there. With private it's to get into an instance started by another person in that group, which is pretty common when doing high traffic activities like Robigo or Fehu because there are a lot of us. When you go to solo you're checking your missions.

If you're seeing the same missions in all three then you are not loading into anyones instance, just your own, which can happen a lot during off-hours.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

bah

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Could you edit out the mumble info from your post?

If people would like to join the mumble the info is in the PGS thread.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Don't buy games because they might be something you want to play in the future, buy the games you want to play as they are now.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Parkingtigers posted:

Dank, while you wait for the game I suggest you watch all of Isinona's videos on YouTube. He flies with flight assist off, aka hard mode, and while everyone else is trying make money and buy bigger ships, he's just pootling around making videos in small ships that have their own sense of narrative. Every video is a little space adventure.

Start with the big video that first got him noticed and start from there: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbaLJTGHkj8

Isinona is playing a very different game from most of the players in ED. He cruises around and just does whatever takes his fancy without considering what is optimal for credits or what ship is OP. It's some form of roleplaying pretty much and he's having a blast. I like to cruise around just doing whatever "feels right" myself, it tends to put a drain on my credits but it's a lot of fun.

He is still putting up videos and I sure as gently caress wouldn't want to get into a fight with him the way he can run circles around people in a Viper.

Space Skeleton fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Nov 24, 2015

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

ED is $15 on Steam right now. If you preorder Horizons while owning the base game it's $15 (10gbp) off.

Just putting that out there for the people who wanted to get the game but didn't want to pay extra.

You would also get the free Cobra when Horizons drops which is not a bad ship to just get handed as a newbie.

Space Skeleton fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Nov 25, 2015

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Xtanstic posted:

I've been popping in and out of the thread for the past year waiting for a good time to pick up E:D. I just wanted to clarify the situation. Horizons will drop in December and will bump E:D back to a full price of 60$ right? If I get the base game for 15$ now, I'll still have to pay full price for Horizons in a month?

If you buy the game now it is $15. If you buy Horizons while owning the base game now (or for a short time after Horizons launches) it is $15 cheaper than usual.

Full price Horizons is $60 but includes the base game, but you cannot play it til Horizons launches.

No matter what you will pay $60 to get ED + Horizons as a new player. Now you have the option of getting the base game to play now while we all wait for Horizons while still spending the same $60.

Space Skeleton fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Nov 25, 2015

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Being a pirate is a (slight) money drain but it's not super expensive to get into. You don't do it for profit, you do it for fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

For anyone not currently following the PGS thread: :frogsiren: CAPITAL CLASS SIGNATURE IN GAKIUTL

The Federation has deployed a capship to bolster the Gakiutl Gold Electronics & Co and help them try to pull off a win against us in our war.

• Locked thread