Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
clearly there wasn't a big enough disagreement with him because the back half of the anime adds about as many gags with kimura as the front half does

i'd like to appreciate that the anime expands kaorin's role a lot since she's like. the one actual canonical gay character in the show. but, well. at least the author of the manga seemed to like her enough to put her in the anniversary manga and give her a gag that just 100% confirms she's a lesbian, and not, put kimura in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

nichijou is funny from the get-go, its mostly slapstick comedy and non sequitur humor though which is fairly different from azumanga's formula, so might just not be your thing. i'm the other way around where i love nichijou but don't find most of the azumanga anime funny

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
when i don't get a joke in nichijou i assume it's simply too advanced for me

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I kinda bounced off of nichijou

Nichibros rules though

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i don't think they have very similar senses of humor

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

yeah i kinda bounced off of nichibros because it was sold to me as nichijou but with guys and it wasn't that at all. the thing it is instead is fine but its got a lot of fourth wall/meta humor which i don't really like as much so it was pretty hit or miss

i guess the point i'm trying to make is that being school setting + sketch comedy causes a lot of these shows to get lumped together even when they aren't very similar in their approach to comedy. so if one of them's not working for you don't try to force it just because you saw it on a list with another thing you like

Tales of Woe fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Feb 11, 2021

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004
Interesting, I had also assumed Nichibros was very similar to Nichijou given the nickname and all, so that's good to know.

I think you're right that the non sequitur humor just doesn't do it for me anymore... in 25 years or so of watching anime, I guess there's only so many times I'm gonna be amused by random weirdness in a school setting before it starts to lose its appeal.

Falls Down Stairs
Nov 2, 2008

IT KEEPS HAPPENING

runawayturtles posted:

Interesting, I had also assumed Nichibros was very similar to Nichijou given the nickname and all, so that's good to know.

I think you're right that the non sequitur humor just doesn't do it for me anymore... in 25 years or so of watching anime, I guess there's only so many times I'm gonna be amused by random weirdness in a school setting before it starts to lose its appeal.

Nichibros is called that because its title literally also the word "Nichijou" in it, which just means "Daily Life" and it's shorter and punchier to call it "Nichibros" than "Daily Life of High School Boys". But the similarities basically end at being slice of life anime

I don't think Nichibros is too non-sequitur except insofar as the characters are idiots that act or speak before thinking. The basic joke in Nichibros is rather more "kids are kind of goddamn dumbasses, especially compared to how anime/manga usually portrays them" and I quite liked it because it made me nostalgic for the ways my friends and I were actual dumbass kids. Nichijou is more surreal visual comedy.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

watch k-on

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

Endorph posted:

watch k-on

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Watamote is so good my non-anime watching friends are getting into it now. One of my friends is real worried about his newborn daughter turning out as socially maladjusted as he is so I keep sending him panels and clips of what to expect in fifteen years.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

I have a hankering for the same sort of thing as DBZ - powerful martial artists with incredible powers, who level up enormously with some regularity, defending or saving the world from great evil in flashy and fairly long battles - but I've already rewatched DBZ a bunch, what's some other good examples of something similar?

Malsangoroth
Apr 2, 2015

Open Source Idiom posted:

Yo, I've been super out of the anime game. What's good these last six years?

Things I like:
- Madoka
- Ergo Proxy
- Lagann
- Big O
- Eva / Utena / Galactica Heroes
- Samurai Flamenco
- His And Her Circumstances

Things other people like but I'm eh on:
- Mob Psycho
- Parasyte

The last thing I watched and liked was the first episode of Made In Abyss and most of the new Boogiepop.

Hate:
- moe

Also what Crunchyroll originals are good? If any?

If you liked Eva and Ergo Proxy, and haven't seen it already, I'd recommend Serial Experiments Lain. It's old but it's of the '90's best in my opinion. If you're hankering for something more recent, SSSS.Gridman was my personal AOTY for 2018. Also, Attack on Titan got some amazing followup seasons that you might be interested in.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

I have a hankering for the same sort of thing as DBZ - powerful martial artists with incredible powers, who level up enormously with some regularity, defending or saving the world from great evil in flashy and fairly long battles - but I've already rewatched DBZ a bunch, what's some other good examples of something similar?

Hunter x Hunter and Yu Yu Hakusho come to mind off the top of my head.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

AnoHito posted:

Hunter x Hunter and Yu Yu Hakusho come to mind off the top of my head.

I was really enjoying hxh but wasn't getting that vibe, at least until uhhh the hisoka fight in the tower thingie, does it get there afterwards? Feels more like original DB than the dbz vibe so far

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

I was really enjoying hxh but wasn't getting that vibe, at least until uhhh the hisoka fight in the tower thingie, does it get there afterwards? Feels more like original DB than the dbz vibe so far

The author of Hunter x Hunter has an unusually high degree of creative control over the series for a shonen manga, and often kind of wildly changes tone / structure when he feels like it.

That said, there's a very long arc a couple of arcs after Battle Tower that has higher stakes and more overtly violent conflict. It's somewhat controversial among fans of the series (some people love it, some people can't stand it) but either way I think it's closer to what you're asking for.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
For some reason (maybe because of how it was sold to me?) I thought Madoka was mostly about shock value or something, but I keep seeing it recommended here. I might watch it after I finish Yuru Camp for maximum tonal whiplash :v:

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
remember to watch rebellion

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Azran posted:

For some reason (maybe because of how it was sold to me?) I thought Madoka was mostly about shock value or something, but I keep seeing it recommended here. I might watch it after I finish Yuru Camp for maximum tonal whiplash :v:

both the shock value and the distance between Madoka and any other given magical girl show are wildly exaggerated by a portion of its fanbase. it heavily foreshadows that something is wrong with the world it presents right from the first episode and the infamous "turn" is more about the characters realizing that for the first time, rather than the audience

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I really like Madoka as a rec. It's visually interesting, emotionally engaging and at 12 episodes + 1 movie it's very short for a complete series.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

Saint Seiya fits the majority of these criteria, and the original as well as the pretty good spinoff Lost Canvas are both on netflix in full.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

GorfZaplen posted:

Saint Seiya fits the majority of these criteria, and the original as well as the pretty good spinoff Lost Canvas are both on netflix in full.

I've never heard of this but it looks pretty tight! Thank you!

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

There’s a seinen/shonen adventure series from the late 70s/early 80s about like a blonde guy, with a fairly weird/old looking art style, that is famous but I can’t remember the name at all and can’t find it through google and MAL and stuff. What is it, or am I just insane?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

icantfindaname posted:

There’s a seinen/shonen adventure series from the late 70s/early 80s about like a blonde guy, with a fairly weird/old looking art style, that is famous but I can’t remember the name at all and can’t find it through google and MAL and stuff. What is it, or am I just insane?

space adventure cobra?

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Endorph posted:

space adventure cobra?

Yep, that's it. Thanks

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

icantfindaname posted:

Yep, that's it. Thanks

The movie is cool, the tv show is great, ovas are pretty mediocre

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Any horror anime worth checking out?

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

sponges posted:

Any horror anime worth checking out?

Shiki

(it's on hulu)

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

DamnGlitch posted:

Shiki

(it's on hulu)

This is basically the only good (recent) horror anime. Anime, as a medium, is not really conducive to the horror genre IMO.

But, if you can find it, I'd also check out Magnetic Rose. So good.

Edit:

Sakurazuka posted:

Another lol

Thanks for proving my point.

VVVVVVVVVVV

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Feb 20, 2021

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Another lol

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

AlternateNu posted:

This is basically the only good (recent) horror anime. Anime, as a medium, is not really conducive to the horror genre IMO.

But, if you can find it, I'd also check out Magnetic Rose. So good.

Edit:

Thanks for proving my point.

VVVVVVVVVVV

Memories is getting a 2021 Blu-Ray release with an English dub, so it shouldn't be too hard to find in a few months.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Memories is getting a 2021 Blu-Ray release with an English dub, so it shouldn't be too hard to find in a few months.

Oh snap. I'm snagging that.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

AlternateNu posted:

Anime, as a medium, is not really conducive to the horror

I’ve asked about horror anime before and this is always the answer I get

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Boogipop Phantom (original) is good and horror-y

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Wave, Listen to Me! S1 was really good imo, hoping for a 2nd. I enjoyed the manga a whole lot and I think it does it justice, very strong/satisfying final anime ep especially.

Not related to horror above, just pointing it out cuz I enjoyed it.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Also try “goblin box” it’s a little uneven and the subs are a bit jank but it’s interesting

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Good horror anime, many of which overlap into mystery or action for the reasons people have mentioned, but are still pretty obviously horror imo:

- Kemonozume
- Devilman Crybaby
- Ayakashi / Mononoke
- Requiem from the Darkness (aka Natsuhiko Kyogoku's Hundred Stories)
- From the New World
- Kitaro of the Graveyard (there are many, many remakes of this series; some of great, some are poo poo. i like the original 1968 one)

also Junji Ito is a master in the field but I would recommend reading the manga versions of any of the adaptations, his art is an absolutely crucial part of what makes his stories work and none of the adaptations really do it justice.

e: i actually really like the live action Uzumaki despite the fact that it cuts the entire third act of the manga. the effects are silly and cheap but they're uncanny in a way that actually captures the right kind of energy in my opinion. just don't think of it as a replacement for the comic

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Feb 21, 2021

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
Hi, hope this is the right place to ask about this. I had a DVD sometime in the mid-oughts. It was a film, I think about a pair of siblings in the direct aftermath of either the Hiroshima or Nagasaki bombings. I was reminded of it earlier but I can't remember its title for the life of me and I couldn't turn anything up on Google which was surprising. I was wondering if anyone knew the name of it?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Beartaco posted:

Hi, hope this is the right place to ask about this. I had a DVD sometime in the mid-oughts. It was a film, I think about a pair of siblings in the direct aftermath of either the Hiroshima or Nagasaki bombings. I was reminded of it earlier but I can't remember its title for the life of me and I couldn't turn anything up on Google which was surprising. I was wondering if anyone knew the name of it?

Grave of the Fireflies?

e: It's a firebombing, not the atomic bomb, though, if that disqualifies it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Beartaco posted:

Either Grave of the Fireflies or Barefoot Genji.