Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Captain Invictus posted:

yeah, the child slave harem, the official renaming the initial female antagonist to "bitch" by the king and who, if posts here are accurate, gets raped to death later in the series, the conspicuous abrupt aging up of the child sidekick character to be more marketable as a sexy anime lady(but she's still like 10 years old, but with an adult body), the character being freed from slavery only to demand to be enslaved once more because she likes it(or some poo poo I forget the actual reason), shield hero is king corn on isekai poo poo mountain. rising of the incel hero

obviously there are far worse series out there, but shield hero is one of the most reprehensible mainstream ones.

edit: oh yeah the kickoff to the shield hero being exiled in the intro was a false rape accusation by the princess noted above. it's a bad series

It was because that way surely the protagonist can trust her because he's been so tragically betrayed by everyone and :rolleyes::fh:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

nrook posted:

Is Be Blues any good?

Thought it was kinda average tbh. There's some fun bits and the occasional moments of brilliance but its 500 chapters long and i'm not sure the highs are enough for that time investment. If I hadn't started reading during the first year of covid when I had a bunch of free time I don't think I would have stuck with it.

It has a strong start and there's some parts throughout that really feel like its about to find what its doing and hit its stride but I don't think it ever manages it. If you want to dig into a long sports manga you could definitely do worse but I don't think its anything special.

Best thing about it was keeping up with some other stuff the fans translating it were working on was how I found Ao Ashi, which is a Soccer manga I like a whole lot more.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Thought it was kinda average tbh. There's some fun bits and the occasional moments of brilliance but its 500 chapters long and i'm not sure the highs are enough for that time investment. If I hadn't started reading during the first year of covid when I had a bunch of free time I don't think I would have stuck with it.

It has a strong start and there's some parts throughout that really feel like its about to find what its doing and hit its stride but I don't think it ever manages it. If you want to dig into a long sports manga you could definitely do worse but I don't think its anything special.

Best thing about it was keeping up with some other stuff the fans translating it were working on was how I found Ao Ashi, which is a Soccer manga I like a whole lot more.

Ao Ashi is good. If you haven’t, check out Days, it’s also enjoyable imo, same person that did the Overdrive cycling manga.

HanzoSchmanzo
Apr 11, 2011

What shows this season are appropriate for a 9 year old?
My daughter's an anime head, and really excited about following stuff as it comes out now.
She's huge into Bofuri (and I know season 2 just started), One Piece, Spy x Family, Saiki K, Nichi Jou, Assassination Classroom, Snow White with the Red Hair, Show By Rock, Slayers, and any magical girl show.

I normally watch everything before she gets to it, but as she's gotten older, she's become able to handle and process more, and I've had less and less time. Saw Handyman Saitou recommended here, and gave it a shot (with her), and part way through the first episode, the wizard starts talking about a warrior with a GREAT BIG WIENER, and they only partially censor the wiener.

Mortified.

Anyhow. Any help you guys could offer would be much appreciated.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

if she likes magical girls are you watching precure because there's like 17 seasons of that stuff. a new season of it starts at the start of february, sky precure.

besides that mou ippon should be alright, its just middle school/early high schools doing judo and some jokes around that. and there's an ongoing digimon series airing rn, digimon ghost game. there's some very light horror stuff in it but its still aimed at kids like the digimon show you probably remember.

also its not airing rn but if she likes show by rock and magical girl stuff there's like 150 episodes of aikatsu and 100 episodes of aikatsu stars thatd probably work for her that are also kids music shows like show by rock.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Tsurune probably won't have anything particularly offensive, but she might also find it boring.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

HanzoSchmanzo posted:

My daughter's an anime head, and really excited about following stuff as it comes out now.
She's huge into Bofuri (and I know season 2 just started), One Piece, Spy x Family, Saiki K, Nichi Jou, Assassination Classroom, Snow White with the Red Hair, Show By Rock, Slayers, and any magical girl show.

I normally watch everything before she gets to it, but as she's gotten older, she's become able to handle and process more, and I've had less and less time. Saw Handyman Saitou recommended here, and gave it a shot (with her), and part way through the first episode, the wizard starts talking about a warrior with a GREAT BIG WIENER, and they only partially censor the wiener.

Mortified.

Not from this season, but Killing Slimes for 300 Years, Bakarina, and Didn't I Say to Make my Abilities Average, Duke of Death and his Black Maid, Faraway Paladin. From this season, The Magical Revolution of the Reincarnated Princess and the Genius Young Lady(Jesus that's a mouthful) and Endo and Kobayashi's play by play. Will post more when they come to mind or send by PM if that's an option.

Edit: Shadows House is another good one.

doomrider7 fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Jan 19, 2023

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

if shes watching one piece my hero academia would probably be fine

edit: and boruto but iunno how that plays if you havent seen naruto first.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Digimon Ghost Game is nearing 60 episodes and is still really good, if she can handle some light horror for kids

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

If she likes pokemon at all, the newest show that just ended(Journeys) and newest film, Secrets of the Jungl, are both wonderful.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

I don't know if I would have enjoyed it as much when I was nine years old, but the season that just ended had Do It Yourself!!, a rather wholesome cute story about a group of girls forming an after school club to learn how to do DIY tasks together. If she doesn't find it "boring" right away it's certainly a good (and safe) show for a kid.

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!
On a whim I decided to check out Amagi Brilliant Park and now I really regret sleeping on it because I found it a real joy.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

HanzoSchmanzo posted:

Mortified.

yeah, unfortunately even with pretty mundane series like Handyman Saito, they do often slip in dirty gags like that, I completely forgot it had that joke, I think that was a single page gag out of the entire manga. It can be hard to avoid entirely without sticking to exclusively-for-young-children series. Here's some suggestions, with trailers to give you an idea about them.

Flying Witch would probably be right up her alley. A young witch moves out to the countryside to continue her training, and all the adventures she and her friends have.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tlS3BXTq7wQ&hd=1

Tiger and Bunny, corporate-sponsored superheroes fight crime. Was really popular when it released, and I think a second season is coming at some point. Aside from Blue Rose's outfit, I don't really remember anything more upsetting than like, some of the poo poo that goes down in One Piece.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLnIX8yRBiY&hd=1

K-ON! might interest her as well. Cute girls doing cute things and playing music. Can't find an official trailer for it though.

Have you watched any Ghibli moves with her? There's plenty of excellent ones she would probably enjoy like Spirited Away, Kiki's Delivery Service, etc.

I feel like Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood might be something she'd enjoy, but while it's extremely good, it's also unflinchingly violent and brutal, so probably hold off on that for a few years. It's the series that frequently tops "best anime of all time" lists so it's probably going to come up eventually if she continues being into anime.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Man idk tiger and bunny is pretty good about not having fan service but theres plenty of violence. Fma is totally out of the question.

9 years old is like “Pokémon” and I’m sure lots of other shows I’ve never watched.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
The Witch Hat Atelier anime should be good, whenever that comes out.

The manga is great for all ages if you want to read something instead of just watching it

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

i would recommend tonari no seki-kun

e: thinking about it there is one episode which might not be appropriate (episode 13)
its not that bad but it would not hurt to screen it ahead just in case, episodes are ~8 minutes so it would not take long
other than that the series would be perfect

Megamissen fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Jan 20, 2023

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

thetoughestbean posted:

Digimon Ghost Game is nearing 60 episodes and is still really good, if she can handle some light horror for kids

Hell, just break out good old Digimon Adventure and Adventure 02.

It was good enough for kids in my day! :corsair:

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

In retrospect the first couple seasons of Digimon were kinda slow and plodding at times but they should still be really fun for a nine year old.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I didn't see a general manga thread so I'm asking here, hope that's ok. Read and loved:

-jojo (just watched the show then finished steel ball run and jojolion)
-berserk up to the recent volume
-hxh up to the end of the chimera ants, then watched the anime of the next arc.
-blame
-i enjoyed gantz when I read it about 20 years ago but it's sort of a bit cringe now to come to think of it.

Did not like (I'm so sorry):
-one piece: hated the art, the story was ok. Got to the wierd island, which iirc had fish people.
-naruto. Read up to about 3 volumes from the end, couldn't finish it. Bad.

I read stuff on mangadex and want to read preferably FINISHED stories, or stories that are proceeding at a good pace. I remember an old rec for assassination classroom, I might give that a go.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

So I don't care at all about whether people like One Piece or not (I haven't read much of it but what I have I love) but "they got to the weird island" is the least helpful possible frame of reference and I love it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

redreader posted:

I didn't see a general manga thread so I'm asking here, hope that's ok. Read and loved:

-blame
-i enjoyed gantz when I read it about 20 years ago but it's sort of a bit cringe now to come to think of it.

-one piece: hated the art, the story was ok. Got to the wierd island, which iirc had fish people.

I read stuff on mangadex and want to read preferably FINISHED stories, or stories that are proceeding at a good pace. I remember an old rec for assassination classroom, I might give that a go.

if you liked hxh you could check out the author's previous work, yu yu hakusho, it has a janky ending since the author had massive burnout at the time but is otherwise pretty good. he also wrote a shorter comedy manga, level e, if you found hxh's comedy funny.

if you liked berserk you could check out vinland saga. historical viking war/drama stuff.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

redreader posted:

-blame

If you liked Blame, have you tried Tsutomu Nihei's other work? To a varying extent his mangs generally feature a lot of surreal biomechanical abominations and nonsensical pseudoscience explanations, with the occasional "nanomachines i guess?" as an excuse to draw Really Weird poo poo happening.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Dorohedoro is a great manga

It kinda lines up with what you like if I squint a bit

Worth mentioning there's a very good anime covering the first bit of it

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
The Dorohedoro anime's good but I'd say the manga is deffo the best way to experience it. Q Hayashida's art style is very unique and it doesn't quite translate into animation.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
Thanks for all of the responses!

I loved dorohedoro, I read the whole thing. Forgot to mention it.

I started reading biomega then forgot it (I think it was too expensive to buy in order to carry on reading it, but now I'll try it on mangadex, thanks for the reco!). Is there anything else by him that's good?

I watched yu yu hakasho up 'til something like ep 50 then got burned out.

I have not read vinland saga. I saw that it was popular but didn't really see why so it didn't pique my interest but if it's good I'll take a look.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

If you liked dorohedoro q's next manga dai dark is pretty good. Far from complete but there's a decent chunk out there now, I gave it a read through not too long ago and had a lot of fun

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Vinland saga is a very well written and illustrated and takes a huge right turn status quo changer that is one of my favorite in all of I’ve seen in fiction after the first arc.

There is a season out covering what is functionally the prologue / first arc from a few years ago and the second season just started airing.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
Binged the first season of Vinland enjoyed it quite a bit. MC is kind of annoying angry mofo but it's not all centered on him as a character at least. It's a little funky that it's in Japanese but we are supposed to assume certain scenes are English/Danish/French

Second season is striking a very different vibe but still has me pretty hooked.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
I suppose I was also wondering what to watch next while working out since I started with LOTG then finished all of JoJo (finally) up to stone ocean and then finished the HXH chairman arc. Looks like it's Vinland Saga then, thanks. I don't work out enough so that should last a few months, at least.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

On that note the best “get you to wanna work out” anime is hajime no ippo, which has 3 seasons and about 110 eps and 2 films

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

DamnGlitch posted:

On that note the best “get you to wanna work out” anime is hajime no ippo, which has 3 seasons and about 110 eps and 2 films

Definitely this.

Also Run with the Wind is good inspiration to go out and get running

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

DamnGlitch posted:

Just be warned you'll have to search around for season 2 (new challenger). Crunchyroll has Season 1 and 3, the movie, and OVA, but not season 2.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i think the entire show's on youtube on unofficial uploads. not great quality but crunchy's streaming always loads really slowly for me

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Unfortunately some of the season 2 episodes got unlisted

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLfr8oU5rfDjCxeq1kTT_p0p689uecykXL

But better than working off nothing

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Just hit up Nyaa.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

If you read manga / watch anime on an old Fire / android tablet like me this is a must.

https://github.com/jmir1/aniyomi

You can select different sources. Generally been able to find older stuff that I can’t get on CR.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i understand the reasoning but it is incredibly funny seeing them work the yomi part in that name

kater
Nov 16, 2010

I unno maybe I ask here but I’m currently on a fantasy girl boss princess manwha kick. I’m current on:

The Monstrous Duke’s Adopted Daughter
For Better or For Worse
Kneel Before Me
Betrothed To My Sister’s Ex

Looking for recommendations on things I’m just bouncing around randomly. About to dive into Isnt Being A Wicked Woman Much Better or Who Made Me A Princess.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
Three that I've read and are decent:

- Not-sew-wicked Stepmother
- Don't come to the Villainess's stationery store
- The Duchess's 50 Tea Recipes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
If you're okay with "trying to keep head above water (and attached to neck)" types of girlbossing, you might try "I'll Save (A Decent/This Damned) Family," which the scanlators can't seem to agree on the title to.