Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Wasn't The Perfect Insider decent?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Furnaceface posted:

Im back and need a second round of suggestions for grown up shows. This time instead of comedy or upbeat/happy shows Im looking for mystery, drama, and suspense (not horror).

I cant think of anything off the top of my head that I may have watched in this area so dont be afraid to recommend popular shows that most people have watched.

e: Wait Ive watched Perfect Blue and loved it so stuff like that.
Monster, absolutely.

ERASED, as well.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Furnaceface posted:

Im back and need a second round of suggestions for grown up shows. This time instead of comedy or upbeat/happy shows Im looking for mystery, drama, and suspense (not horror).

I cant think of anything off the top of my head that I may have watched in this area so dont be afraid to recommend popular shows that most people have watched.

e: Wait Ive watched Perfect Blue and loved it so stuff like that.

Paprika and Paranoia Agent were both directed by the same person as Perfect Blue, Satoshi Kon.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

I started Paranoia Agent and Erased a bit ago but got distracted by a pandemic so I should probably finish both of those before I start anything new. Paprika looks neat so Ill give that a go too. I may have seen Monster.

I tried Promised Neverland as it was airing but it didnt really stick for me. :(

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Wow I was not expecting an explanation of the 2008 financial crisis in an episode of Psycho Pass lol

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Wow I was not expecting an explanation of the 2008 financial crisis in an episode of Psycho Pass lol
Gen Urobuchi is a lot of things as a writer/showrunner. "Subtle" is seldom one of them.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
Anime sometimes gives unexpected economic insights. Everything I know about futures trading I learned from Heat Guy J.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

Omg this mushi shi episode with the kid that had the water mushi in him was so :smith:

So I decided to watch the next episode because I can't go to sleep ending on that one and its the ep with the mother that can't love her kid :negative:

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Captain Invictus posted:

Monster, absolutely.

ERASED, as well.

HEAVILY seconding Monster. It is insane how long this show is and it is a slow burn but imo it's a masterpiece. If you are into reading manga, alot of Urasawa's work hasn't been adapted and it's some of the best work in fiction.

Speaking of learning of finance, Nobuyuki Fukumoto(author of Keiji) 's Gin to Jin is basically about all kinds of financial engineering, insider trading and stuff like that. I work in finance and absolutely loved that since he does go pretty deep. There is lots of great personal information there about the housing bubble of Japan's 80s in there as well.. It's only in manga though.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

Finished Space Dandy. I was worried when I first started the show, it was a little too horny. The weird episodes were really great though. On to Dorohedoro next

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Been reading the FMA manga and was thinking I should watch the anime instead, but does FMA Brotherhood start at the very beginning like the manga? I read the first episode description and it didn't sound like what I've read for the first three to five volumes.

Don't want to end up in some Fate situation where watching things the wrong way might spoil something.

It's one of those things I can only google so much without risking spoilers, so I'm gonna be that annoying person asking about it for the 100th time.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

FMA brotherhood covers the first few arcs in kinda fast forward because they assume you already watched the previous FMA anime which covered that same stuff rather slowly but diverges at halfway through because the manga was not finished.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Ah. I think I'll just enjoy myself with the manga and watch the anime when I'm done then!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
brotherhood's a really good adaptation of the manga, so it's definitely worth watching afterwards if you don't want to just go straight to the anime. if nothing else once you've finished the manga, you can go in around episode 10 of brotherhood, I think that's around the point it gets into the more regular pacing after speeding through the initial parts that are like 20ish chapters of the manga and extensively covered in the first anime.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ufarn posted:

Been reading the FMA manga and was thinking I should watch the anime instead, but does FMA Brotherhood start at the very beginning like the manga? I read the first episode description and it didn't sound like what I've read for the first three to five volumes.

Don't want to end up in some Fate situation where watching things the wrong way might spoil something.

It's one of those things I can only google so much without risking spoilers, so I'm gonna be that annoying person asking about it for the 100th time.
the first ep of brotherhood is original, to explain why it's not anything you've read. then it covers the first few volumes in fast forward.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Speaking of anime adaptations I might want to just read first, what's the latest on Made in Abyss? Did they just decide to ditch the show in favour of redoing it as a series of movies that barely cover the original show, or where are we at on that?

Was really hoping the anime would continue, but this post-S1 release schedule is starting to look worse than Attack on Titan.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

ufarn posted:

Speaking of anime adaptations I might want to just read first, what's the latest on Made in Abyss? Did they just decide to ditch the show in favour of redoing it as a series of movies that barely cover the original show, or where are we at on that?

Was really hoping the anime would continue, but this post-S1 release schedule is starting to look worse than Attack on Titan.

there's a third movie that covers new material, the ido front/bondrewd arc. i'm pretty sure it's one of the covid casualties so you can :filez: a camrip or wait

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Ah. Are the stories super compressed compared to the show, or are they worth it?

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

ufarn posted:

Ah. Are the stories super compressed compared to the show, or are they worth it?

never bothered with the films since i watched the tv series and there is definitely some degree of truncation since they split the series roughly in two for 110-120ish minute movies. also apparently i forgot they've already announced more anime is following Dawn of Deep Soul (the new material movie), but haven't said whether it's tv or another film.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
God drat anime, man, why does it have to be so complicated.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Endorph posted:

the first ep of brotherhood is original, to explain why it's not anything you've read. then it covers the first few volumes in fast forward.

To further expand it existed to let people know that the brotherhood anime would be following the manga plot beats instead of having its own ending.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
I was skimming this thread for recommendations and it lead me to watch A Place Further Than the Universe which I loved so thank you anime recommendation thread.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Starsnostars posted:

I was skimming this thread for recommendations and it lead me to watch A Place Further Than the Universe which I loved so thank you anime recommendation thread.

I just finished it myself. It is a work of art. Left me with a stupid smile hours after the final episode.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I've got a fair bit of nostalgia for Astro Boy 2003, which is apparently underrated. I do want to see how it holds up. The question is- sub or dub?

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I've got a fair bit of nostalgia for Astro Boy 2003, which is apparently underrated. I do want to see how it holds up. The question is- sub or dub?

I wanna say the dub edited out some stuff? Been so long that I can't remember what tho.

(The show also holds up extremely well!)

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Yeah, I heard the 2003 version edited out a bunch of stuff, and the official sub is based on the dub. As far as I am aware the unedited version hasn't gotten a translation. I've been holding off on watching it in hopes that there will eventually be one, but at this point its unlikely.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Sounds like I might be better off just watching the dub then, I remember it being pretty good. The name changes might be a bit silly, but O'Shay actually does kinda work for Oshida. Certainly shows a little creativity anyway.

As much liberty as 90s/00s dubs often take, I feel you're always best off with a more consistent artistic vision, and at least some of them are clearly trying to make something good that the networks of the time will air. From what I've read of the original manga, I don't think Tezuka might be too annoyed; there's clear efforts to incorporate multicultural ideas, and one of the pioneers of robotics in the backstory is specifically identified as Native American. Despite some common for the times stereotypes, the OG Astro Boy comes off as shockingly progressive in a lot of ways that you'd rarely see even today. The arc that stuck with me is the one with Astro being briefly in the service of a Japanese immigrant to the USA who only tells him about his own experience; suffering racism from white Americans, then noticing how badly African-Americans suffered under them, and then noticing they transferred the same attitudes towards robots.

Ghost Leviathan fucked around with this message at 17:11 on May 28, 2020

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

What are the best 6 or 12 episode anime series? Not too fussed about genre, but I like action and robots and Goku's and stuff

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

What are the best 6 or 12 episode anime series? Not too fussed about genre, but I like action and robots and Goku's and stuff
Planet with, ssss. Gridman for mecha?

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Endorph posted:

Planet with, ssss. Gridman for mecha?

Just wrapped both, big fan!

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

Baccano! (slightly longer than 12 episodes)
Madoka Magica

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

Gunbuster and its sequel Diebuster are like the perfect answers to this question. And FLCL is cool too.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

AlternateNu posted:

Baccano! (slightly longer than 12 episodes)
Madoka Magica

For some reason I thought Baccano was like some enormous 48 episode series, hell yeah.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Julias posted:

Gunbuster and its sequel Diebuster are like the perfect answers to this question.

I'll vouch for both of these. I think Diebuster's more fun for most of its run, but Gunbuster has one of the all-time greatest endings I've seen in an anime. They're both excellent overall.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

For some reason I thought Baccano was like some enormous 48 episode series, hell yeah.

That is Durarara which was written by the same author.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

feels like once you include 12 the list can just explode since single cour shows are common. anyway The Hakkenden OVAs, Katanagatari, and B The Beginning

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

Giant Robo: The Day the Earth Stood Still is 7 episodes.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

Giant Robo: Day the Earth Stood Still if you haven't already seen it

Geobreeders for action

If you can handle gore sex and cliffhangers Apocalypse Zero and Shigurui. Mad Bull 34 goes in this too minus cliffhangers

Cyber City Oedo is 3 hour long episodes

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

also seconding Hakkenden

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

drat i had both Geobreeders in my head but they blew out. doesn't hurt to list some classics in case they were missed: Read or Die and the original Birdy the Mighty (there's also a good show w/ one 13 and one 12 ep season)

Tenamonya Voyagers, also