Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I know enough people that prefer Monster over 20th Century Boys (I am not one of them) that I think it would be worth watching/reading Monster even if you did not care for 20thCB.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Torquemadras posted:

So far, it seems to be cool dialogue in super-stylish environments + fanservice overload. I might watch it for the style alone, but to be honest, I'm not confident where this show might go, since I usually have a strong dislike for harem tropes and a NOPEI'MTHEFUCKOUTOFHERE reaction to things bordering/consisting of pedo stuff. I'd ask in the Monogatari thread, but it looks like every single poster there has a Monogatari avatar, which does not convince me of their impartial advice :v: This thread is very informative, so any opinions on this? (Note: I will judge you by your avatar)

you would stop watching in nisemonogatari, probably

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
The only *gatari you should watch is Ore Monogatari

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Katanagatari is pretty good.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

monogatari owns if you aint' a busta.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

a dude who can't handle fanservice isn't going to make it through nise

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Davincie posted:

a dude who can't handle fanservice isn't going to make it through nise

...oh no

I... I had a bad feeling when it turned out the main char has not one, but two younger sisters
And there was a mysterious small girl in the corner of the room

:sigh:

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

But fan service owns

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

well fwiw, nise has the most fanservice by far. see for yourself though if you want to trust this untrustworthy goyim

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

littleorv posted:

But fan service owns

It does
Which is why I have such a good impression from the first two episodes

Davincie posted:

well fwiw, nise has the most fanservice by far. see for yourself though if you want to trust this untrustworthy goyim

It's worth a try!

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
Bakemonogatari is fantastic, and I can easily recommend watching through all of it. Nisemonogatari has a fantastic villain and it's also got huge chunks of entire episodes dedicated to absolutely loving bizarre fanservice. Gonna have to echo the statement that if you're gonna stop anywhere, it'd be on, like, the fourth episode of Nise. If not that, the eighth. It's a strange thing when the creepy middle-aged man who cons middle schoolers out of money has less weird scenes than the main protagonist.

Nothing quite as weird happens in Bakemonogatari, and definitely not with Araragi's sisters or Shinobu, so you don't have to worry about it there.

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Sep 21, 2015

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

i think i'm the one that recommended it to you in the haruhi thread. hi. i would say at least finish bake. nise takes the stuff you're not really feeling, cranks it up to 11 and breaks the knob off. it's gratuitous and gross to the point of absurdity, where it almost comes off like an autocritique. i dunno, though. there are lots of ways to read it, i'm sure. it's probably my least favorite of all of them and it's sort of a necessary evil to get to neko/season 2 both of which are excellent

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

I'm liking nise so far because it breaks free of the formula bake establishes to a degree and expands the world by adding new characters like kaiki and the exorcist pair

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

HenryEx posted:

The only *gatari you should watch is Ore Monogatari

The best *gatari is Doukutsu Monogatari.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
There are many good *gataris but my favorite *gatari is Katanagatari

satsui no thankyou
Apr 23, 2011
want something good and long to read or watch, read preferably. just got to the end of translated dorohedoro, really like Kingdom, HxH, LoGH, JoJos

fezball
Nov 8, 2009

satsui no thankyou posted:

want something good and long to read or watch, read preferably. just got to the end of translated dorohedoro, really like Kingdom, HxH, LoGH, JoJos

Full Metal Alchemist sounds like it should work, it has the journey parts of Jojo's/HxH with a fair amount of politics and intrigue in a steampunkish setting with a good deal of fantasy thrown in. There's two anime versions of this, with the first one doing its own thing pretty early on when they overtook the manga and the later Brotherhood then doing a proper adaption of the manga story while speeding through the early parts that the first anime had already done - both of them are worth watching, but reading the manga is still what I would consider the best way to experience the story.

satsui no thankyou
Apr 23, 2011
ive already read it :D

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Ravages of Time, Vinland Saga, the Arslan Senki anime or probably the early OVAs.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Also I liked Yu Yu Hakusho more than HxH so you should deffo take a look at it.

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

You'd probably enjoy Houshin Engi.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Droyer posted:

60s grab bag by Gorf Zaplen, Evangelion by Srice (this one may be delayed depending on when decent torrents of the blu-rays appear), The -gatari series by Namtab, Patlabor by me, and 80s grab bag by Smoking Crow.

Why does everyone keep missing k-on off this list

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
Make subs-only mandatory for participation in the K-On simul.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Torquemadras posted:

On entirely unrelated matters: can anybody explain to me what the gently caress is going on with the Monogatari series? I decided to check out the first two episodes, since it's by the Madoka director, and holy poo poo is this gorgeous. And tits. Those are good. (Re: Cutie Honey is cool and good) So far, it seems to be cool dialogue in super-stylish environments + fanservice overload. I might watch it for the style alone, but to be honest, I'm not confident where this show might go, since I usually have a strong dislike for harem tropes and a NOPEI'MTHEFUCKOUTOFHERE reaction to things bordering/consisting of pedo stuff. I'd ask in the Monogatari thread, but it looks like every single poster there has a Monogatari avatar, which does not convince me of their impartial advice :v: This thread is very informative, so any opinions on this? (Note: I will judge you by your avatar)

there's much worse stuff out there in the wide, scary world of anime IMO, but the bolded in monogatari is more than I'm willing to tolerate

Torquemadras posted:

...oh no

I... I had a bad feeling when it turned out the main char has not one, but two younger sisters
And there was a mysterious small girl in the corner of the room

there literally ends up being like 5 elementary/middle school children plus his sisters in the harem

satsui no thankyou
Apr 23, 2011

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

Ravages of Time, Vinland Saga, the Arslan Senki anime or probably the early OVAs.

Ringo Roadagain posted:

You'd probably enjoy Houshin Engi.

thx you

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Radio Spiricom posted:

i think i'm the one that recommended it to you in the haruhi thread. hi. i would say at least finish bake. nise takes the stuff you're not really feeling, cranks it up to 11 and breaks the knob off. it's gratuitous and gross to the point of absurdity, where it almost comes off like an autocritique. i dunno, though. there are lots of ways to read it, i'm sure. it's probably my least favorite of all of them and it's sort of a necessary evil to get to neko/season 2 both of which are excellent

Hi!

Yeah, that might very well be you! It's probably your recommendation + my search for more Shinbo stuff after watching the phenomenal Madoka series. Dude is just so loving good at depicting two people (or evil bunnycats) talking to/at each other.

In any case, I'm up to episode 12 now. It's actually far tamer than what I expected, which is consistent with the opinions in this thread, I guess... Some of the fanservice seems very appropriate and even stylish (pretty much anything with Senjogahara), some... not so much (oh, snake girl is the same age as Koyomi's sister? Well great, now I know where this is going :sigh: ). Overall, it's a really darn cool little show. It's really entertaining to see basically nothing but a dude getting verbally owned non-stop, and helping girls with their issues by being helpful. Plus the occasional nauseating violence/mutilation out of nowhere. It doesn't even feel that much like the dreaded harem show, surprisingly - there's one "main girl" right away, most of the female characters don't even seem that much romantically interested, and there's not that much of that horrible submissive waifu poo poo. Yeah, I know it's gonna be harem as gently caress eventually, I'm not blind. But hell, I could watch these 12 episodes just fine. You could take episode 12 alone and show it completely out of context - that's some genuine funny, almost self-contained romance story in 20 minutes, right there. (Seriously, ep.12 is by far the best - poor dad :haw: - and perhaps not coincidentally the least harem-like...)

Definitely gonna finish this season, and see how long I last through Nise until I start loathing it and skip to the next one! I guess it's true, there's really drat good parts and some really, really bad ones. How lucky that I'm a discerning viewer. :v:

The Devil Tesla posted:

There are many good *gataris but my favorite *gatari is Katanagatari

Also, how's this show? I gave the first episode a try, and called it quits when the evil ninja jabbered on, pulled out a sword, action scene seems imminent, then puts the sword away, jabbers some more, leaves. Does it get any less talky? I mean, that looks like a drat cool action gif, but I don't want to wait half an hour for ten seconds of it...

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

The talky is the point and katangatari owns

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

I'm gonna watch it.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Torquemadras posted:

Also, how's this show? I gave the first episode a try, and called it quits when the evil ninja jabbered on, pulled out a sword, action scene seems imminent, then puts the sword away, jabbers some more, leaves. Does it get any less talky? I mean, that looks like a drat cool action gif, but I don't want to wait half an hour for ten seconds of it...

I almost turned it off at about the same moment that you did but I'm really glad I didn't, the end of the first episode hooked me and it just gets better and better from there. It's never not-talky but once the journey actually starts the conversations get better and more and more cool and meaningful stuff happens. It's one of my favorites.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Is it normal to be on episode 6 of Durarara!! and still be utterly confused? Digging the show but I don't even know what the heck.

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

Jimbot posted:

Is it normal to be on episode 6 of Durarara!! and still be utterly confused? Digging the show but I don't even know what the heck.

Can't remember what was going on at that point specifically, but I'm gonna go with yes. Through the whole show there's a bunch of different stories all told from different perspectives, often happening simultaneously, and it gets pretty confusing sometimes. You don't necessarily need to understand every detail - I was pretty lost from time to time and it didn't lessen my enjoyment of the show any.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Jimbot posted:

Yes, personally I didn't enjoy it as much as Baccano, I gave up around episode 10

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Torquemadras posted:

Hi!

Yeah, that might very well be you! It's probably your recommendation + my search for more Shinbo stuff after watching the phenomenal Madoka series. Dude is just so loving good at depicting two people (or evil bunnycats) talking to/at each other.

In any case, I'm up to episode 12 now. It's actually far tamer than what I expected, which is consistent with the opinions in this thread, I guess... Some of the fanservice seems very appropriate and even stylish (pretty much anything with Senjogahara), some... not so much (oh, snake girl is the same age as Koyomi's sister? Well great, now I know where this is going :sigh: ). Overall, it's a really darn cool little show. It's really entertaining to see basically nothing but a dude getting verbally owned non-stop, and helping girls with their issues by being helpful. Plus the occasional nauseating violence/mutilation out of nowhere. It doesn't even feel that much like the dreaded harem show, surprisingly - there's one "main girl" right away, most of the female characters don't even seem that much romantically interested, and there's not that much of that horrible submissive waifu poo poo. Yeah, I know it's gonna be harem as gently caress eventually, I'm not blind. But hell, I could watch these 12 episodes just fine. You could take episode 12 alone and show it completely out of context - that's some genuine funny, almost self-contained romance story in 20 minutes, right there. (Seriously, ep.12 is by far the best - poor dad :haw: - and perhaps not coincidentally the least harem-like...)

Definitely gonna finish this season, and see how long I last through Nise until I start loathing it and skip to the next one! I guess it's true, there's really drat good parts and some really, really bad ones. How lucky that I'm a discerning viewer. :v:

The thing about the -gatari harem is that it doesn't follow most of the tropes of anime harems like Love Hina or Tenchi Muyo. All the girls are (generally) independently strong and don't actually need Koyomi, and he manages to be helpful and caring (if a creeper much of time) without being emasculated.

I will freely admit. I put the series down for a while after the toothbrush scene. But, I'm glad I came back to it. Despite the fanservice elements, the characters are just so drat well written. And Shinbo makes everything so drat purdy. :3:

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

The Devil Tesla posted:

I almost turned it off at about the same moment that you did but I'm really glad I didn't, the end of the first episode hooked me and it just gets better and better from there. It's never not-talky but once the journey actually starts the conversations get better and more and more cool and meaningful stuff happens. It's one of my favorites.

Well, I'll believe you. :v: Regarding series that I dropped but continued on recommendations, the only one I got burned so far has been Steins;Gate (YEAH I MEAN IT), so I'll try. At least most of the basic plot exposition should be out of the way... I hope.

Razzled posted:

Yes, personally I didn't enjoy it as much as Baccano, I gave up around episode 10

You know, I really liked Baccano when I watched it the first time - it was pretty much one of the first anime shows I watched -, but I have zero desire to watch it again, and in hindsight it's not THAT phenomenally good. Still good, just not great. So when I watched the first Durarara season, I started seeing the exact same flaws cropping up everywhere. Without the ingenious time jumps between three-four separate storylines, it just... isn't that appealing, and I got tired of the characters much faster. I remember being quite annoyed how often random character XY just happens to be passing by and is suddenly involved in the current shenanigans - the setting feels both way to small and contrived.
I really like shows that just drop hundreds of characters on you and then has them bounce off of each other - it's not chaos, it's just complex, and the plot doesn't give a gently caress that you can't follow along, it will all come together in the end. I felt like there was way less of that in Durarara, and way more focus on whacky/emotional characters which are rather annoying/whiny.
...also, every single character looks like a wiry deformed elf person. I'm not sure why, but I feel like Durarara has MUCH, much uglier character designs than Baccano.

AlternateNu posted:

The thing about the -gatari harem is that it doesn't follow most of the tropes of anime harems like Love Hina or Tenchi Muyo. All the girls are (generally) independently strong and don't actually need Koyomi, and he manages to be helpful and caring (if a creeper much of time) without being emasculated.

I will freely admit. I put the series down for a while after the toothbrush scene. But, I'm glad I came back to it. Despite the fanservice elements, the characters are just so drat well written. And Shinbo makes everything so drat purdy. :3:

I guess I'll see, because I'm enjoying it so far! The only "harem-like" shows I could ever stand were Higurashi and Haruhi - and I guess I don't have to tell anyone who knows both of these that they... have their own spin on it. I'm occasionally annoyed how passive Koyomi is, but it's turned around often enough.
I guess creepy fanservice (besides the good one :v: ) in this show is like a bad habit that won't go away.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

1) is there anything as fabulous and manly as Jojos

2) is there anything as feel good as Ore Monogatari without it being like literally nothing happening

3) I wanna watch those weird 90s ovas/ movies that freaked me out as a child with 0 context where do I start

THE AWESOME GHOST fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Sep 23, 2015

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

2) is there anything as feel good as Ore Monogatari without it being like literally nothing happening

When I think "feel good," I think Non Non Biyori, but I'm not sure it meets your "something happening" standard.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

StandardVC10 posted:

When I think "feel good," I think Non Non Biyori, but I'm not sure it meets your "something happening" standard.

I'll actually start it and see, I heard this before.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

1) is there anything as fabulous and manly as Jojos

3) I wanna watch those weird 90s ovas/ movies that freaked me out as a child with 0 context where do I start

1) Otokojuku and Fist of the North Star come to mind

2) As mentioned, Non Non Biyori is the most feel-good show there is, but it definitely falls into the "nothing happening" category. Yotsuba, if you're OK with manga. Maybe some of the stuff from the dad manga thread if you find unrealistically cute children to be feel-good? At least one of those has an anime (Aishiteruze Baby).

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Chihayafuru has many good feels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

barakamon feels