Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

fezball posted:

Did you watch Hellsing TV or the Hellsing Ultimate OVA? The TV series only followed the manga for its first half, and then made up its own ending which is prettty universally agreed to be vastly inferior to the manga. So if you only saw TV, Ultimate will still have plenty to offer.

I can't really think of a good gun-centric show right now (maybe Trigun, but that one is more goofy than violent), but if you want awesome crazy action with minimal talking then Redline should be a good one.

I watched the TV version an eternity ago and stopped because it was kinda boring, then I discovered the manga and went through the OVA at record pace! Watched Redline too, so there's that.

Talking is fine if it includes badass/hardboiled/cheesy oneliners :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fezball
Nov 8, 2009
If you're fine with manga as well then I'd be a lot more confident about recommending Trigun - the Anime isn't bad, but once again kinda fizzles out with an anime-only ending long before the manga story even starts really ramping up. Late manga Trigun gets ridiculously overblown in the best ways (although Nightow's drawing style isn't for everyone).

Also, because you probably missed my edit on the last page:

fezball posted:

Edit: I totally forgot about Black Lagoon, that one is pretty much Stupid Gun Violence: The Anime.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
I'd actually say the Trigun anime tells a better, more powerful story than the manga, but it's true the manga reaches some dizzying heights of insanity.

Nightow's action sequences are supremely garbled, however.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Torquemadras posted:

I feel like I've watched too many talky shows recently.

So please recommend me animes with ridiculously awesome guns and ridiculously awesome shooting of ridiculously awesome guns

None of that mecha stuff. I want hard-boiled shooting mans with ridiculous outfits. I watched Hellsing and that fulfilled all criteria, as well as having a surprisingly tidy and satisfying ending. It is what I shall measure all shooty animes by in the future.

Give me violence

Gunsmith Cats OVA

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
I finished watching the Trigun anime recently, and I really liked it. It's a lot of fun, Vash is a really good protagonist and the first few episodes are a lot of lighthearted, goofy action, with the later ones having some really cool, more serious stuff mixed in. I think it actually ends at a pretty good place, one that feels very fitting for the tone of the story.

Trigun: Badlands Rumble is also a really fun movie with plenty of action that matches both the tone of the early and late show as necessary, it doesn't dive anywhere into any of the main plot of the original series and is more of its own story much like the more self-contained ones in the show itself. It also has a cool cowboy bounty hunter lady as the main heroine. You can watch that at any time, all you really need to know is who the main cast of characters are. I recommend it.

fezball
Nov 8, 2009

Bad Seafood posted:

I'd actually say the Trigun anime tells a better, more powerful story than the manga, but it's true the manga reaches some dizzying heights of insanity.

I don't even disagree here, the last few episodes hit me really hard - the manga has some events that I think are equally powerful (most notably the one mirroring a certain character's anime-only ending) , but at that point the story has reached such a huge scope that they do get drowned out in all the noise somewhat.

Still, the request was for something crazy and violent, and for that I think the manga is the better choice.

quote:

Nightow's action sequences are supremely garbled, however.

That one is 100% correct of course, but weirdly enough the action flows nicely once you've made your peace with having not the slightest idea of what half the panels are even supposed to be.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
Actually, I just remembered that Cyber City Oedo 808 has some pretty kick-rear end action. You can watch it with the alternate soundtrack, and even with the dub for added effect.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Torquemadras posted:

So please recommend me animes with ridiculously awesome guns and ridiculously awesome shooting of ridiculously awesome guns

None of that mecha stuff. I want hard-boiled shooting mans with ridiculous outfits. I watched Hellsing and that fulfilled all criteria, as well as having a surprisingly tidy and satisfying ending. It is what I shall measure all shooty animes by in the future.

Give me violence

Trigun

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

The trigun anime is shooty but it's not very violent, at least for like half the run.

I love the trigun anime but the manga is a much better product. The anime original ending wouldn't even bother me if the last episode wasnt mostly a fuckin clip show.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

DamnGlitch posted:

The trigun anime is shooty but it's not very violent, at least for like half the run.

That doesn't sound like something that should be a complaint

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Torquemadras posted:

Outlaw Star

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

fezball posted:

Did you watch Hellsing TV or the Hellsing Ultimate OVA? The TV series only followed the manga for its first half, and then made up its own ending which is prettty universally agreed to be vastly inferior to the manga. So if you only saw TV, Ultimate will still have plenty to offer.

The first TV series barely touches on the manga because it only had two volumes to work with at the time it was made. After that it goes right off the rails.

Torquemadras posted:

Give me violence

It's not a series, but if you can find volumes of it go read BLAME!

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Knorth posted:

That doesn't sound like something that should be a complaint

Torquemadras posted:

Give me violence

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

I'd recommend something but then I remembered Hellsing Ultimate is pretty much the only gunviolence show I like.

Let me know if you ever wanna see two dudes chopping each other up with swords though, I'll set you up.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

I know, still stand by my point

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

The Colonel posted:

Actually, I just remembered that Cyber City Oedo 808 has some pretty kick-rear end action. You can watch it with the alternate soundtrack, and even with the dub for added effect.

Is Cyber City Oedo that movie about the cryogenically-frozen prisoners who work off their centuries-long sentences by helping stop crimes? gently caress, I ain't thought about that one in years, and I ain't seen it since Laserdiscs were being produced :v:

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

I sense someone talking about... GUNDAM!

Bad Seafood posted:

Let me know if you ever wanna see two dudes chopping each other up with swords though, I'll set you up.

Hit me. I've got Champloo down on my backlog but I need more. I should probably get back to Chevalier too.

Unless it's something like Shigurui. I'm not exactly afraid of gore or anything but I've never been one for the good old ultraviolence.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The White Dragon posted:

Is Cyber City Oedo that movie about the cryogenically-frozen prisoners who work off their centuries-long sentences by helping stop crimes? gently caress, I ain't thought about that one in years, and I ain't seen it since Laserdiscs were being produced :v:

Yes, and it owns, especially the Manga Ent dub with the redone soundtrack

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Reds posted:

Hit me. I've got Champloo down on my backlog but I need more. I should probably get back to Chevalier too.

Unless it's something like Shigurui. I'm not exactly afraid of gore or anything but I've never been one for the good old ultraviolence.
Sword of the Stranger is good for what ails you if what ails you is a lack of sweet sword fights. It's a movie though, not a TV series.

Similarly, there's also always Ninja Scroll if you're willing to put up with the anime equivalent of an exploitation film. Includes rape as a plot point though, so if that's a flat door slam then steer clear.

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

I sense someone talking about... GUNDAM!

Bad Seafood posted:

Sword of the Stranger is good for what ails you if what ails you is a lack of sweet sword fights. It's a movie though, not a TV series.

Yeah, SotS is pretty much the go-to for really nice sword action. Anybody got any series that fall on the lesser known side? I've probably cleared through most of the better examples by now.

Oh, and has anybody else watched The Tower of Druaga? I was recently rewatching it and the first season was way better than I remembered it being. I'm looking for another show with that sense of fun.

fezball
Nov 8, 2009

Reds posted:

Yeah, SotS is pretty much the go-to for really nice sword action. Anybody got any series that fall on the lesser known side? I've probably cleared through most of the better examples by now.

Shura no Toki is pretty good. It is a series about a dynasty of unarmed fighters popping up all over japanese history and beating up prominent historical figures. The TV series has 3 mostly separate arcs (Miyamoto Musahi, Jagyuu Jubei, Shinsengumi).

I really like the way this series handles its fights - the main character's fighting style is really straightforward and brutal (you don't see any gore, but the sound design and animation really sell it), and while mooks get dispatched in seconds the "boss fight" of each arc has a lot of effort put into it. The last (and longest) arc does suffer from really spotty animation quality at times though.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

drat, I was trying to remember the name of that just the other day for some reason. Thanks!

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Seconding/thirding that Cyber City Oedo owns really, really hard.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
you wouldn't know a god drat vampire if it jumped out and bit the end of your dick

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Bad Seafood posted:

Similarly, there's also always Ninja Scroll if you're willing to put up with the anime equivalent of an exploitation film. Includes rape as a plot point though, so if that's a flat door slam then steer clear.

This was one of the first anime I ever saw when I was 12 or 13, a friend had it on VHS and we had absolutely no idea what the gently caress was going on at that bit but I rewatched it a few years later and suddenly felt really awkward that we watched it several times on the big TV in his living room :v:

At least the rapist is an unapologetic complete rear end in a top hat who dies really quickly and the whole thing is full of loving terrible people so the super violence is cool and fun. It's pretty decent but probably hasn't aged that well and nowadays I'd rather watch HnK for some of the old nostalgic 'bad guys getting multilated extremely violently'.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Ninja Scroll actually holds up rather well. It's tightly paced, well-directed, and well-animated.

It's biggest detriment is honestly just that Kawajiri loves his shock schlock, which understandably sits poorly with some people.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
For some reason kissmanga has had issues sending out update emails for various series so I've been checking the latest updates feed daily, which has resulted in seeing some...interesting series there. I am sure that this is unmitigated garbage but the name of the series and the summary on kissmanga made me laugh

quote:

Kiss My rear end: After defeating a demon, Yakushiji Teruki is bound by a demon that brings pain to humans, in the most unusual ways that demon is bound by Shiki-kun through.....hemorrhoids, which is an illness in his anus...yes anus. All of a sudden, a girl by the name of Miura confronts him, what does she, the unsociable classmate want from Shiki-kun and his....anus? Find out!

Anime

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I've never read berserk, but a friend has. I want to recommend vinland saga, would it be comparable to berserk in tone, or are they wholly separate beasts? I think he'd love it but he's really resistant to recommendations in any form because he's a stubborn poo poo, so I want to compare it to something he loves to pique his interest, and he sure as gently caress loves him some berserk. But if they're too different I'll try to think of a different way to get him interested in it.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

It's not very much like berserk; initially I guess it might be a little like the golden age but it lacks any kind of magic or fantastic stuff and the second half of the series is much less blood gore and ultraviolence and it a much more philosophical.

If you wanna interest him tell him it updates on an actual monthly basis and the plot progresses.

EDIT: uh maybe I came at this from the wrong direction. Berserk is ultra violent and grotesque and massive in length and has a very different feel IMO than Vinland Saga. The ONLY thing that remotely berserk-esque in vinland is the horse punch, which is way over hyped and represents very little of what vinland saga is about, and Thorfinn's really hosed up dreams about the people he's murdered (The imagery more than the sentiment, if that gives you an idea of what percentage of VS is like Berserk)

I think you are right and he will probably like it because it's very good and gritty BUT the comparison to Berserk might color his expectations the wrong way and he'll become one of those idiot babies that complained about farmland saga.

DamnGlitch fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Oct 13, 2015

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Captain Invictus posted:

I've never read berserk, but a friend has. I want to recommend vinland saga, would it be comparable to berserk in tone, or are they wholly separate beasts? I think he'd love it but he's really resistant to recommendations in any form because he's a stubborn poo poo, so I want to compare it to something he loves to pique his interest, and he sure as gently caress loves him some berserk. But if they're too different I'll try to think of a different way to get him interested in it.

READ BERSERK ALREADY YOU FUCKTARD IT'S A LITERAL WORK OF ART IF YOUR CHIMP BRAIN CAN'T PROCESS WHAT THAT MEANS FOR gently caress'S SAKE

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Okay

When it's done :smug: Thanks, I'll keep that in mind!

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Offer to read Berserk if he'll read Vinland Saga.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

hello friends they ran me out of the vita thread for trying to make it my anime chat thread. I would like a show to watch, if it is easily accessible on netflix or crunchyroll then all the better. doubly better if it has dubs so I can watch while playing video games but subs are fine too

really good:
welcome to the nhk
fate/stay night
steins;gate (the vn anyway)

also good:
my teen romantic comedy snafu
fate/zero
madoka

good video game viewing:
sword art online

eh:
the one where theres a death jr and a girl with a sickle
jojos

bad:
death note

I am pro-babes and anti-giant robots. thank you

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

epitasis posted:

hello friends they ran me out of the vita thread for trying to make it my anime chat thread. I would like a show to watch, if it is easily accessible on netflix or crunchyroll then all the better. doubly better if it has dubs so I can watch while playing video games but subs are fine too

really good:
welcome to the nhk
fate/stay night

also good:
fate/zero
madoka

good video game viewing:
sword art online

eh:
jojos

bad:
death note

wtf

Seriously though, try paranoia agent. It reminds me of Welcome to the NHK in many ways, although it's a bit more psychedelic and hosed up.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

epitasis posted:

really good:
welcome to the nhk
fate/stay night

also good:
fate/zero
madoka

good video game viewing:
sword art online

eh:
jojos

bad:
death note

high school dxd??????

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

gently caress off back to Games

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

epitasis posted:

really good:
welcome to the nhk
fate/stay night

also good:
fate/zero
madoka

good video game viewing:
sword art online

eh:
jojos

bad:
death note

Buh?

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

epitasis posted:

really good:
welcome to the nhk
fate/stay night

also good:
fate/zero
madoka

good video game viewing:
sword art online

eh:
jojos

bad:
death note

since you thought nhk was really good, you can try tatami galaxy. no dub though

for dub shows, i would recommend baccano and durarara. durarara is on cr, and i think baccano is on netflix

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

cool I will try some of these eps later, thanks yall

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

epitasis posted:

cool I will try some of these eps later, thanks yall

have fun :D