Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Radio Spiricom posted:

i picked up the first volume of monster at barnes and noble the other day and i read six or seven chapters and i was hooked and plan to continue it. the problem is that i realized later on its like 150+ chapters and it seems like a pretty drastic undertaking. i'm already worried about my visual media consumption habits as is and don't need to add to them.

i guess what i'm looking for is manga recommendations for similar things that aren't as lengthy. doesn't *need* to be psychological drama/horror. i'd prefer seinen i suppose but i don't really care about demographic distinctions. i don't know anything about the technical aspects of comics the way i do with movies/tv and can pretty much be sold on the goodwill of the storytelling alone

some other stuff i plan on reading but have put on the backburner: berserk, all other urasawa, all fukamoto
catalogs to look through where the artist puts out mainly shorter work: taiyo matsumoto, daisuke igarashi, naoki yamamoto, kyoko okazaki (people more informed than i can give more thorough josei recommendations), gekiga authors like tatsumi, yoshiharu tsuge, seiichi hayashi, etc.

individual series: domu, ressentiment, nijigahara holograph is like a volume long and would be the first asano series i'd start you off on, the world is mine is 163 chapters but i'll always find any opportunity to plug it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
Terrarium in Drawer and Ashizuri Aquarium are both excellent single volume anthologies.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Baloogan posted:

um so are there any more workplace anime like newgame and the one about the girls who work in anime with the doughnuts shirobaka

like, slice of life in reality, protagonists out of high school sort of thing
I remember liking girlish number (seiyuu working on mediocre anime) and I guess wotakoi's also airing this season (mid-twenties office workers but otaku, though it might be better to stick with the manga)

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Waffles Inc. posted:

hey friends

my wife and I just finished 'Kids on the Slope' in a one day binge. it was beautiful, life affirming and wonderful! also basically the only anime my wife has ever liked

i'd appreciate any slice of life style shows that kinda flow along those lines: soap opera-y, etc--doesn't have to be music based or a period piece or anything like that, just kinda in that general genre

much appreciated!
If you want soap opera-y and beautiful, there's Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

littleorv posted:

Chitose is the best and my wife

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
Manga or anime that treats alcoholism as a main plot point or at least as a prominent subplot?

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Motto posted:

What are some original/standalone movies people would recommend from the last few years? I had the opportunity to actually go out and see a few (Your Name, Maquia, Liz, Night is Long) when they got theater runs, but I feel like there are probably a lot that slipped my mind between getting announced or received and becoming available in English one way or the other.
In this Corner of the World

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Wasabi the J posted:

I want more weird apocalypse and philosophy mixed up like Eva and Devilmam Crybaby.

Bonus points for depression inducing!
If you want manga, I recommend Fourteen and The World Is Mine.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Kokoro Wish posted:

Actually related (and not really looing for a recommendation, but if there is one, great), but has there been a series that is basic harem/romcom, but the main character actually ends up with another member of the harem romantically, as opposed to who would be considered the main/default girl? I'm guessing that the industry in general is too safely conservative for even that most of the time.

Also no School Days. gently caress you! :3:
ookami shounen wa kyou mo uso o kasaneru

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
Well first there needs to be more material to draw from unless you want to go all anime-original

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
Found your post from 2016:

Cock and Balzac posted:

I'm gonna have a bunch of spare time the next couple months, so I wouldn't mind some manga recommendations myself. Here's some stuff I've really liked:

parasyte
freesia
uncivilized planet
sanctuary
japanese tengu party illustrated
planetes
onani master kurosawa
ciguatera
witches
nijigahara holograph
solanin
bokurano
narutaru
cat street
the lucifer and biscuit hammer
emma
national quiz
short cuts
boku to issho
himizu
goodnight punpun

My only stipulation would be its gotta be finished. There's a ton of good ongoing stuff (historie, vinland saga, dorohedoro, soil, etc.), but I just can't live that month-to-month manga life.
You can safely read the bolded now

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Slider posted:

I know very little about anime/manga, but I've been starting to watch some animated films such as:

Your Name
I Want to Eat Your Pancreas
A Silent Voice

and enjoying them. I'm looking for similar drama/romance films(possibly TV) like the above. I would prefer to keep the scifi elements to a minimum, but not too picky, just recommend me other broad appeal stuff.

Other than these films the only other anime/manga I've seen has been s1 of One Punch Man which was pretty entertaining but not interested in action/superhero genre right now.
For TV stuff, Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
If you like Haikyu!!, I would recommend Run with the Wind from last year (and it’s a completed story, too!)

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
i remember being disappointed by big o 2 mostly b/c the early-00s digital look did not suit it at ALL

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

The Holy Queef posted:

I am actually looking for some Recommendations for wholesome manga personally.

Kaguya-sama
Kawaii Hito
Gokushufudou: The Way of the House Husband
Senko
Lucifer and the biscuit hammer

Something along these lines.

Not the isekai's or vrmmo stuff we got a thread on that and it's not what I'm looking for.
useless ponko
hokuou kizoku to moukinzuma no yukiguni karigurashi
kimi wa houkago insomnia
sangatsu wa oresama ni narimasu
no youna
hisakata no oto
kuu neru futari sumu futari

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Paper Lion posted:

but in terms of romcom representation, mmo junkie is ok but i would absolutely replace it with Tada Never Falls In Love or Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Comedy/My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU. i know you didnt ask for more stuff on your list but it seemed like a genre that was pretty underrepresented
i guess the advantage with mmo junkie is that it's a romance that takes place between adults instead of high schoolers, though it still indulges in will they, won't they? tropes

If you want a high school romcom that's a hilarious farce and weaves whole gags out of relationships never progressing, there's nozaki-kun
If you want a high school romcom with a similar sense of humor but also allows for gradual progress and character development, there's kaguya-sama
If you want a shoujo romcom that wholeheartedly indulges in romance, maybe some other poster can provide a suggestion

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

DetoxP posted:

I'm not a huge anime person in general - based off friend's recommendations I've tried quite a few (mostly shounen) but always trailed off from losing interest - but then I happened to watch A Place Further Than The Universe and absolutely loved it. I think I liked just the fact that it was heart-warming, somewhat cathartic, and relationship centered rather than action-centered. Just tell me what I should watch based off that please. (I searched the thread and mostly saw this being recommended to people rather than jumping off from that as a starting point). I'm open to sci-fi and fantasy but generally favour stuff that takes place in the real world, historical or not.
I'll third Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu. Also:

March Comes in Like a Lion seasons 1 & 2
Orange - I think the premise ends up being kind of goofy, but it has a lot of heart

Movies:
In This Corner of the World
Liz and the Blue Bird - based off of Sound! Euphonium seasons 1 & 2, which would also be worth your time, but it's honestly not a prerequisite for enjoying this one
Children of the Sea - the plot teeters on the edge of incoherence (and often drops off into it), but I also think it's so gorgeous with a spectacular climax that I think it would not end up not bothering you as much

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Azran posted:

If I liked Toradora, what else should I check out? I've heard good things about Kaguya-Sama: Love is War.
Yahari Oregairu/My Teen Romcom SNAFU - Three seasons, frontloads the youth drama which eventually combines with the bittersweet romance emerging in the back portion

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Rosalind posted:

Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju - This one was strange. The pacing was super off like it felt like I was watching the highlight reel from a longer show. For instance, the woman living with the older actor guy just suddenly declares that he killed her father and then the scene ends and we're off on this other scene a few days later like this huge reveal didn't just happen. I enjoyed the art and I liked the idea conceptually--they also do a good job making one guy on a stage telling a story interesting, but everything else just hampered it for me. Probably won't watch more. 4/10.
The first episode is more like a tease for the entire story. In the aforementioned moment you thought was confusing, it's narratively meant to make you wonder what the history is between those two and if the show will answer questions & resolve those inconsistencies. I'd give the next episode a shot since it ends up being fairly different than the first and more straightforward, if you don't like it then, you won't like the rest of the season. Rakugo Shinji imo is one of anime's strongest dramas, but it also doesn't really have a lot of the goofy stuff that endeared you to March Lion.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
as a tween, i was upset when toonarmi replaced gundam wing reruns with something called big o

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Anthony Chuzzlewit posted:

Can anyone recommend more quiet post-apocalyptic stuff like Girls Last Tour?
have you explored any of yokohama kaidashi kikou?

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

ahobday posted:

I'm looking for anime (and/or manga, which I mentioned because I can't find a manga recommendation thread) where the main character is very good/skilled. It can be in general or at a specific thing. An embodiment of TV Tropes' "The Ace": https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheAce.

Ideally the character won't have other flaws such as major personality flaws or emotional/mental problems that the plot uses to offset their skill. I'd like pure unrealistic excellence.

Instead of asking for a specific genre I'll say that any genre is fine as long as you think the anime (and/or manga) is extremely good/high quality.

The only example I can think of, which might not fit the "extremely good" criteria, is Food Wars, where the main character is very good at cooking.
if you want a manga you can breeze through in under an hour, misappropriation investigator nakabo rintaro

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
just throwing things out across the spectrum you may or may not have heard of:

boy's abyss
himegoto - juukyuusai no seifuku
dog and scum
dear sa-chan
believers
umibe no onnanoko
kakeochi girl (yuri)
sensei no shiroi uso
naraku no futari
kowloon generic romance
the last menhealer
kitanai kimi ga ichiban kawaii (yuri)
i would die to have your first time
natsu no zenjitsu
kimi ni aisarete itakatta
anata ga shitekurenakute mo
yakedo shoujo

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
Among that awards list, I don't really see Kodansha refraining from picking the series' it publishes

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Tales of Woe posted:

mal scores are good at telling you what the sort of people who watch anime youtubers think is good and bad, that's about it

Fangz posted:

Yeah there's lots of 6/10 shows I like a lot.
alright, what are everyone's fav anime that are rated below 7.00 on mal?

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

SexyBlindfold posted:

The upcoming Dungeon Meshi anime should have plenty of that once it gets the ball rolling. It mostly focuses on (edible) monsters but there's plenty of attention given to the environment and worldbuilding. You can check the manga to see if it's up your alley.
For something more chill, maybe Ancient Magus's Bride? I've only watched like half of the first season but there's some trips to fantastic locales. Leans towards drama, though.
There's also Drifting Dragons, but I'm guessing the 3d animation might put a lot of people off, so maybe check out the manga, the scenery art is gorgeous.

For manga-only options, there's Witch Hat Atelier, and maybe uhhh Heterogeneous Linguistics?
witch hat will also get an anime in the near future

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
it's naoki urasawa doing a prestige version of astro boy's "the greatest robot on earth" arc with all the political commentary from around the mid-2000s

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

pork never goes bad posted:

I've been enjoying some romcom type anime and manga recently but a lot of em are set in highschool and feature pretty gratuitous fan service of underage characters. I'm looking for recommendations that aren't quite so skeezy, both manga and anime. Things that are somewhat low fan service, with adult protagonists, cute character designs with distinctive individual partners (I'm interested in both straight and gay stories in this sorta space with any combo of genders - I really want the main protagonists to feel like they have a connection more than I have any desires for who the protagonists are or even how many of them there are, though prototypical harem stories have a hard bar to clear), and romantic payoff achieved in like not a huge investment of time. I haven't read or watched a ton in this sorta genre but for an anime Sign of Affection is an imperfect example from this season, kaguya-sama could be perfect if they were in college, and the manga for Hokkaido gals has just a bit too much fan service for my tastes and is a little slow. I'm hoping y'all can point me to some cool manga and anime.
for manga

completed:
futari ashitamo
living, eating, sleeping together
catch these hands!
the snow country hunting life of the northern nobleman and the eagle-like wife

ongoing:
cuprum's bride
mobuko no koi
more than lovers, less than friends

note that some of these are officially licensed and could be more difficult to look up on :filez: sites

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Bongo Bill posted:

Basically wondering what a manic pixie dream boy would even look like. Thanks.
love master from tsurezure children