Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Yo, recommend me something cool if you dare!

Stuff I enjoyed:

Gundam 0080: War In the Pocket (To me, this is the Gundam series that gets the character-driven melodrama right where almost every other Gundam series gets it so dreadfully wrong. 08th MS team is cool until it shits the bed in the last 3 or so episodes. MS IGLOO is ok.)
Kaiji (Manly-tears gambling anime with Marxist sensibilities? It's like it was made for me. I tried Akagi and didn't enjoy it as much. Partly due to the Mahjongg focus and partly due to it not being quite as fun to watch a character who has an iron grip on everything compared to one who's really struggling. That's not to say the "mastermind hero" can't be entertaining.)
Lupin III (I watched the Fujiko Mine series and enjoyed it until it began having a tighter serial narrative towards the end. The leery rape stuff with Fujiko was tasteless and the plot was close to nonsensical.)
Armored Trooper VOTOMS (I've seen and enjoyed Armor Hunter Mellowlink as well.)
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure (COME BACK JOJO)
Mononoke (I didn't enjoy MuShiShi.)
Cowboy Bebop (Another case where the episodic series is very cool but the tendency towards a serial narrative near the end descends into poor writing and overly 'anime' stuff. Samurai Champloo just didn't do it for me.)
Yu Yu Hakusho (A childhood favorite. I'm not opposed to a shonen series if it's good- see JoJo. The combination of the supernatural stuff and the street punks is funny, but it ends up in 'interminable tournament' territory after a while.)
Cromartie High School (Anime comedy is very much a miss for me, but this one was absurd in juuuust the right way. Any comedy anime is going to be a hard sell for me. I watched the dub of this, which I think was the right choice in this case.)

Stuff that didn't do it for me:

Fullmetal Alchemist (Tried both series. There are a lot of elements to like here but it just doesn't come together. Too much goofy, tonedeaf anime poo poo going on. Protagonist isn't likeable.)
Baccanno! (Again, a cool setting and idea, but the complex, layered plot got revealed over time to involve a lot of hand-waving and happenstance, and a lot of the dialogue and character writing were really bad. I liked the Bonnie and Clyde duo.)
Trigun (gently caress this series for having the coolest setting and the most irritating protagonist with the dumbest narrative and conflicts.)
Evangelion (Some awesome design, and the OVAs have some of the most beautifully animated sequences around, but the psychobabble and cargo-cult religious symbol stuff comes off as juvenile in a bad way.)
Attack on Titan
Probably almost all moe/slice of life stuff.

Anonymous Robot fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Oct 2, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Droyer posted:

Also, there are no Evangelion OVAs, so i'm not sure what you're talking about.

Evangelion: The movie: Recut: End of Evangelion 2.1: All You (Need) Is Love

Davincie posted:

strongest man kurosawa, one outs and stop using anime as a bad word when literally all you're talking about is anime

There are very characteristic styles of writing, characterization, and physical gags that are unique to anime that I find repellent. They are not present in every anime, but in lots of them, and I find it deleterious to my ability to enjoy them.

Strongest Man Kurosawa looks cool. I don't really read manga but I might check it out.

Re: Patlabor

I've always thought the movies looked cool. I'm more looking for a TV series to watch though. I did try watching the Patlabor series a while back and did not care for it much, but I've heard the OVAs/movies are tonally different, and better.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Radio Spiricom posted:

black lagoon, gunbuster, fist of the north star (the movie), space adventure cobra, dirty pair: project eden, riding bean, cyber city oedo 808, devilman ovas, dominion tank police, megazone 23 parts 1&2

Thanks for this, I'm digging these old school OVAs.