Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Is it normal to be on episode 6 of Durarara!! and still be utterly confused? Digging the show but I don't even know what the heck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Can anyone recommend a fun shounen show that's on Crunchyroll? I've seen HunterxHunter and Magi, both of which I liked. I still occasionally watch One Piece despite how much I think the pacing is rubbish. Jojo's fun too if you consider that shounen. I've seen enough of Bleach and Naruto to know that it's not really my thing.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Thanks for the recommendations. I'll give them a shot.

I saw that Saint Seiya recommendation is like a side story thing. I know absolutely nothing about that franchise, will I be lost if I jumped into it?

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Most other mediums save that kind of character for adult women, however.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I'd like to know what they were smoking when they made that Escaflowne movie. "Hey, you know this really great series with likable characters and fun adventure? Yeah, lets remove all that and make all the characters assholes and be dicks to each other."

Such a bummer of a movie, especially coming off the series.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

DamnGlitch posted:

Or any other scene apparently

Edit: the movie was pretty great. Some incredible combat scenes and a much more solid premise than the second season. It also retroactively justifies the second season a bit, in my opinion.

How so? I gave up on season 2 after about four or five episodes because it seemed like it was going nowhere new, was just retreading what season 1 already covered but in a worse way and had the most insufferably obnoxious support character. Which, I guess, you could at least say is a plus when every other character has no character or personality.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

If you've seen the first movie, then take that as the tone of the OVA series. A good blend of silly and somber. The second movie, to me, marks Oshii becoming modern Oshii - visually interesting but too heavy with the philosophizing. I think the first film is probably his best since he does that but remembers about pacing.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Is there such a shounen or action show where women aren't either patronized at or sexualized? I've been binge watching One Piece lately and got through Dressrosa and it reminded me why I started to get a bit turned off the series - Oda just comes off as someone who thinks women are dainty delicate flowers should be locked away from the world lest a cloud block out the sun for a moment causing them to wilt and die instantly. Men are heroic and strong while women cry or are wacky. Only women who are aggressive are his standard "big lady" types so no one feels bad that the tits and rear end got beaten up badly by the bad guy.

It's a shame he's been moving in this direction for a while since he wasn't like this in the beginning. I still like the series but his conservative views on gender are starting to show in his art which is getting distracting.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Thanks for the recommendations, I'll try to look into them.

I think I'm just getting to the point with this stuff that I just notice it more than I used to. Action anime is the only anime I really watch and really enjoy - I like the over-to-top silliness of battles and yelling out special attacks. I'm all for a good laugh but certain patterns start to emerge and certain genders fall into archetypes that seem to rarely be broken. Even the clothes they wear (men wear pants, women wear skirts, always). Like, outside of Air Master, I don't think I've seen a lead lady protagonist outright say they loving love to fight. Those that do are either villains or are stylistically different from the "pretty" women that it's almost commentary that this is an ugly trait to match a physically ugly person so it's very undesirable or improper for women to have.

I've seen FMA:Brotherhood and Magi and the former is really good with its portrayal of women and the latter is decent. I haven't seen the two seasons on netflix in a while but I do remember there being a few boob jokes in there. I do like the world of that anime, though. It's neat.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I completely forgot Drifters was being adapted into an anime. I hope it's at least half as good as Hellsing was. That series went places.

Edit: Saw it was on Crunchyroll, watched the first two episodes. It is.

Jimbot fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Nov 16, 2016

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Is Akagi still playing against Washizu? Despite knowing nothing of Mahjong I really liked Akagi.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

AlternateNu posted:

Best slice-of-life that doesn't focus on middle/high schoolers and isn't Shirobako, Nana, or Usagi Drop?

Patlabor: TV Series

Giant robots, police procedural and slice-of-life all in one!

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

unpronounceable posted:

Do I need to watch other Lupin III stuff before jumping in?

Yes because it's Lupin The 3rd and it's all fantastic.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

wielder posted:

I thought that sequence was fairly impressive. Yamato 2199's cast really does tend to get better as time goes on and all the key players actually start interacting with each other. The remake does a wonderful job of combining good overall execution with improved cast dynamics and increased political stakes too. It's a shame that there was no full legal release of the series in the U.S. though. I am hoping that changes with the upcoming sequel.

They're making a sequel to it? My night just got better. Will it feature the USS Arizona?

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Bongo Bill posted:

Lupin the 3rd. Doesn't much matter which series.

The first is a good time capsule. It also has some pretty amazing animation for the time with things moving from the background to foreground while there's complex character movement going on.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I watched through Yona a little while ago and it was ho-hum. I honestly think she didn't have that much growth and making superhuman mystical beings her entourage did diminish what little growth she had, in my opinion. There isn't any real pay off, to be honest. You catch glimpses and when you think things will start getting interesting the show ends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

How's The Slayers Revolution seasons? I've been watching the first three seasons again and I forgot how good the show was. The new stuff as good as the old stuff? Worse?