Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
I'm in the mood for something optimistic -- is there anything like the manga/anime equivalent of Star Trek? Something set in a clean, optimistic future, about characters doing things in space or somesuch. Planetes was great, but a bit downbeat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

a kitten posted:

Bodacious Space Pirates.

Yes, i'm 100% serious. That's almost exactly how I would describe it.

Ah, I never tried that when it was airing because of the wackadoo title! I guess this merits a second look. Thanks!

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Namtab posted:

K-ON is very optimistic

K-ON is not set in the future or in space!

littleorv posted:

Legend of the Galactic Heroes

I'm working through this slowly, and it is not optimistic and Star Trek-like! :(

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Zero_Tactility posted:

Escaflowne is an excellent show with great music, great robots, and hilarious technobabble bullshit.

UNMEI KAIHEN!!!

DrSunshine fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Oct 6, 2015

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

I'm looking for a fantasy show that has a witch girl with short hair and glasses. I swear I've seen it somewhere before, in passing (either that or that character archetype is rather popular).

I don't think it was the Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, though.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Anyone here ever watch Ichiban Ushiro no Daimaou? It was, like, the only ecchi/fanservice-heavy anime (besides Golden Boy, so from this century) I've ever seen that was actually good and funny. Mainly because the protagonist actually had a spine and took most things in stride. Does anyone know anything like it that's equally entertaining?

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

AlternateNu posted:

<--------------------:colbert:

I don't recognize that character!

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

DisDisDis posted:

Yokohama Shopping Trip

ARIA and Polar Bear Café.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Does anyone know what show this gif is from? I have to see it just on this alone.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Adlai Stevenson posted:

Uchouten Kazoku/The Eccentric Family. It's on Crunchyroll.

--

Still makin' my way through my suggestions, trying to have a trip report put together soon-ish

Aha! Thanks so much!! Now I've got a strange new anime to enjoy. :)

There's something really oddly familiar about the character designs and art style. Kind of reminds me of Zetsubou Sensei or something.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

I loved Lovely Complex and want to watch another comedy show with Osaka accents. Is there any other show where they feature prominently? I've watched Sket Dance before too, by the way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

The Colonel posted:

azumanga daioh

Unfortunately, I already even own the DVDs of this one!

sinky posted:

Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi

Oh, I've heard of this. I will try it.