Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
The only *gatari you should watch is Ore Monogatari

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
There's no anime of it (which is a crime), but if you want interesting settings and world-building, Dorohedoro is king of the hill, no doubt.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Yeah it's great.

It's just not a very... coherent work. But treat it like a series of hilarious one-shots with some occasional callbacks and it's fine.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The art is good, you just don't like it, hth

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
This is really funny coming from someone with a Trails avatar

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Are there ever bad series with a good ending? (aside from a swift one)

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
You should probably watch One Punch Man even if you're not looking for actiony stuff, just sayin

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Gonna comment on two i've actually (partially) read:

Disagreeing with above on Hajiotsu, it's a bad execution on an already dumb gimmick. P. much a waste of time.

As for Hohzuki Island, i'd give a tentative Read It. It's by the guy who did Erased, but back in the days when he still needed to cram in fanservice to get published. It deals with similar themes as Erased (kids and bad things happening to them), but on a more traditional horror than psychological twist. Thankfully, from what i remember the fanservice is mostly kept to the busty teacher, but if memory serves a little fanservice won't scare you off anyways.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Srice posted:

Watch Nozaki-kun.

This, and

Nate RFB posted:

Daily Lives of Highschool Boys, which yeah it's hard for me to think of a better comedy, at least recently.

this. Nichibros is v. good.

edit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHZKuq8OezI

HenryEx fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Jul 15, 2016

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
It also had a fantastic first ending. It takes balls to just repeat your last joke verbatim, and they pulled it off and made it even funnier in the process.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Are you really comparing the developments and successes of a weak sheltered princess to what the literal superhuman mystical beings around her can do

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
That makes her strides just seem even greater though, since her reference points are so high up. It might be a cheap trick, but it works very well.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Throw me in as another one who's never actually watched the show, i just read the manga and based my opinions solely on that.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Dorohedoro has one of the best realized settings around, and is by (i think) a former assistant of Nihei so the environments are gorgeous in a grimy sort of way.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
You're probably looking for Sakamoto Desu Ga, or Haven't You Heard? I'm Sakamoto. It's a graceful tale about Bayonetta's son bringing joy, wonder and enlightenment to today's youth. Not sure if it's light-hearted, but it's either hilarious or emotional, depending on how you choose to look at it.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The end of TTGL was dead on and just how it should have ended

Not sure on the ending to NGE, i'm still trying to decipher it

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer

esselfortium posted:

If you can handle some serious raunchiness, Haganai is about a group of terrible people who all hate each other and treat each other like complete garbage, and it's hilarious.

I checked this out because i love :airquote:friends:airquote: being assholes to each other, and

holy poo poo, that is the most accurate Monster Hunter episode i've ever seen.
I recognize the map. I recognize the armor sets. She did a level 3 GS charge backstab on the archer! Jesus, i'm floored here

edit: oh my god, the stomping emote, i'm dying here

edit2: she's sleep bombing her team mate, this train just doesn't stop

HenryEx fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Oct 22, 2017

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I'm pretty sure i've used that exact combination of butterfly armor and greatsword myself in MH4U, it's too real

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Wark Say posted:

What's the closest there is for an anime about irredeemable scumbags played for cringe comedy? Sorta like It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia. I've been rewatching that show and I was wondering if there's something like it. I already watch Gintama, which contains plenty of jerkfaces, but nobody in Gintama is as reprehensible as The Gang (or at least that lasts as long).

Grand Blue should kinda scratch that itch, if the upcoming adaptation is any good.

One of my fav chapters is the band of boys going to absurd lengths to conspire against one of their own getting laid.

See if this stand-alone chapter entertains you (no real prior knowledge required): https://mangadex.org/chapter/10534

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Torquemadras posted:

There's another notable one where I don't know the name; it took place in a village where people are starting to have murderous delusions, and there's multiple iterations with the same cast, each time someone else going mad.

Dunno about the rest you mentioned because i think i never finished it, but this sounds like Higurashi no naku koro ni (localized to When They Cry, i think). It's structured into like 8 different arcs or something. The anime aged pretty badly, cuz it was done by a budget studio i think

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Mix it up with Sekiro instead.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
There's nothing quite like Dorohedoro unfortunately, aside from maybe the new series by the same author, but it's only been 10 chapters or so and it's a little early to say.

Dungeon Meshi builds world and characters extremely well, but it's "just" a very thoughtful and skilled approach and lacks the uniquely bizarre charm from Dorohedoro. Has an anime, i think??

Heterogenous Linguistics is an interesting puzzle since the protagonist constantly has to fight various language barriers to understand the people and world around him, which gives it an alluring mystery feeling.

The Golem Dad manga whose name i forgot also has nice worldbuilding mainly done through art instead of textdumps, and it's a very diverse fantasy world, too.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer

MJP posted:

I'll throw out a recommendation in the same vein: My Perfect Girlfriend. It's got a dynamic between the lead characters that's extremely close to a very real, Not Stereotypical Manga Japanese couple. They make bad jokes, get cutesy, and really seem to enjoy each other's company without being lovey-dovey. It's so real.

That's because it's sorta auto biographical. It's the mangaka's exaggerated tale of his life with his girlfriend.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
You mean something like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kO6EgutJLqA

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Yeah the first season is honestly pretty weak, and i had to power through it on goon recommendation alone, but from there on out, it's great.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I was about to say that most Isekai probably fit the bill, especially anything with some variation of "slow life" in the title, but yea, the Eminence in Shadow one is a good fit.
He's trying to be the all-controlling fate-steering "shadow behind the throne" figure and the world and all its inhabitants go to great lengths to interpret everything in his favor.

Pictured: The MC reacting to the world bending itself into a pretzel trying to make him look good

HenryEx fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Apr 29, 2023

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Doesn't Samurai Champloo have an episode where they burn down a cannabis field?

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Watched Wakfu with subs (didn't remember enough French from school to make it through) and it was pretty great. The main villain goes loving ham in French, it's a sight to behold.
It takes a while before the animators get a real handle on their toolkit, but when they do, oh boy. They can have some fun.

https://i.imgur.com/W9kxTvp.mp4

They somehow managed to make me give a poo poo about a three episode long soccer torunament, too. So i guess that's another recommendation from me.

HenryEx fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Apr 29, 2023

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Megamissen posted:

started reading this and it is very good

lmao

HenryEx fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Apr 29, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

When a Yandere appears, the target of her "affections" usually wants nothing to do with her. But are there any series where someone decides being a kept (wo)man isn't so bad and just rolls with having a crazy gf

This is almost literally the premise of "My girlfriend gives me goosebumps", but it's manga only, not anime.