Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
So, Evangelion. It seems like there are more version of the series than the original Star Wars, so where should I start, and what possible remasters might be released in the future? I've got a Blu-ray player, and I live in Europe, for what it's worth - and iTunes for TV isn't available here.

I'd obviously prefer some remastered footage, but not if it's butchered like Star Wars or Ghost in the Shell 2.0.

I assume I'm supposed to start with the original TV show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Appreciate it all, cheers. I think all this stuff was why I never got around to watching it.

I never use English dubs for anime, so as long as the menus are available in English with subs, I'm good.

From what I can see, the Platinum collection is only available in Reg2/PAL as individual copies - not as a box set?

ufarn
May 30, 2009
So am I right in understanding that the Evangelion episodes should preferable watched as Director's Cut?

ufarn fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Jul 14, 2016

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Uhhhhhh, so I guess that was the end of the Evangelion show. What's a good article to explain the what and why of whatever I just watched? Not necessarily some wiki explainer - something more general about the history of the show, too, perhaps?

And this was with the Director's Cut.

Eh, I'll check out End of Evangelion and see if helps make sense of things. Are those 1.11, 2.22, 3.33 versions just cute names for the Blu-ray movies or something else entirely? Dear lord this is confusing.

ufarn fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Jul 15, 2016

ufarn
May 30, 2009
How much better is the Blu-ray version of End of Evangelion? I've searched and searched, and I can't for the life of me find it in any shape nor form (in Europe/Region 2). Even the DVD is hard enough to track down as it is, but at least you couldn't be mislead to think it doesn't exist.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Then original Neon Genesis Evangelion doesnt have a Blu-Ray release outside Japan in any form iirc. Only the Rebuild movies do.
Ah, thought the American release had one, too. I only watch it with the original audio, but the Japanese release doesn't even have English subs as I understand. *kicks dirt*

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

it's out there for the less scrupulous
I know it's out there, but even then it seems to have eluded me. :smith:

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Came across Nadia: Secret Of The Blue Water on Blu-ray by coincidence. Is it worth getting into?

ufarn
May 30, 2009

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

What are the highest quality Netflix animes? Saw one punch and AoT
Kuromukuro is absolutely fantastic.

I never managed to finish BLAME.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
The anime is definitely not gorgeous. It's on the lower end of the 3D anime spectrum. Shows like Knights of Sidonia pulled if off much better.

Still better than the new Berserk, though.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Since people knew their stuff on Evangelion, I might as well ask here.

I want to buy the new Attack on Titan Blu-ray, but I get the impression that most bonus material including audio commentary - which is what I'm the most interested in - is just with the dumb US voice actors. Anyone know what's in Japanese and what's not?

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Audio commentary is always the US voice actors in DVD/Blu-Ray releases, you never seen Japanese ones added in with subtitles or anything like that.
Oh bummer, thanks for the heads up.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Studio Ghibli tend to emphasize the Pixar/Disney relationship, I recall there being a bunch of material on the English version on Howl's, but I can't remember whether it happened at the outright expense of original content.

With stuff like Ghost in the Shell (the anime), I don't think there was much English material, but that was before nerd culture went mainstream and people probably cared about US VAs being at cons and stuff.

I've never been too into anime aside from movies, and although I've never watched them with dubs, I haven't never thought about whether any original Japanese material was thrown out.

ufarn fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Jul 8, 2017

ufarn
May 30, 2009
I saw some really cool animation in some Gunbuster clips, and since it's Hideaki Anno, I want to check it out, but do you just start with the TV show?

There's also a bunch of cut or edited material, which makes this a pain to navigate - as usual.

Captain Invictus posted:

Not as gory, per se, but Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood might be up your alley.
Speaking of, I tried to buy this from Amazon UK a while back, but the Brotherhood version was the one most prominently featured in most places. What's the versioning on this, and where do I start, preferably with a Blu-ray option?

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Eela6 posted:

How do I get into Mecha stuff?

So far I've only really watched Gurren Lagann & NGE. I've never seen a Gundam. Should I watch a Gundam?

I tend to like upbeat stuff. Big plus if the music is really catchy. Recent shows I've liked include My Hero Academia, Sympghogear, Demi-Chan, Konosuba, & Assasination Classroom. That said, I don't mind serious if it pays off well.
Kuromukuro on Netflix is fantastic.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

ufarn posted:

I saw some really cool animation in some Gunbuster clips, and since it's Hideaki Anno, I want to check it out, but do you just start with the TV show?

There's also a bunch of cut or edited material, which makes this a pain to navigate - as usual.
Finished Gunbuster (not bad at all, but still very Anno), but thought I'd be better off asking this here:

ufarn posted:

Anyone happen to know where I can see wth the scrolling text at the end of Gunbuster ep6 says? Subtitlers were asleep by that time.

Also, what is the difference between the regular finale and the "b" version?

ufarn
May 30, 2009
I couldn't tell any difference, so that sounds reasonable.

And Diebuster also did the same as Gunbuster by making the original OVAs into a movie that you should avoid, rigth?

ufarn
May 30, 2009
So, uh, can someone explain all the different episode types or categories of Code Geass? It's got what I assume are the regular ones on top of "Picture Drama", "OP", "ED", and possibly more?

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Ohh, I didn't know they were known acronyms for anything, shows how much I know.

All this figuring out movies vs OVAs or shows + OVAs vs Blu-ray vs non-censored versions has made me paranoid about watching the wrong versions of animes lately.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Can someone help me with which of the FATE animes I should watch and in which order?

As far as I can tell, there's

1. Fate/Stay Night (2006)
2. Fate/Zero (2011)
3. Fate/Stay Night (2014)
4. Fate Apocrypha (2017)

I just want the cool anime battles known for its animation, so do I start with #2 or #3?

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Alright, I'll try them out chronologically and ditch the first to get some plot to get me through it. I can always skip ahead to the next show.

e: oh god there's ovas too

ufarn
May 30, 2009
So I kind of set the thread on fire with my Fate order question, so I'm gonna try with JoJo to see if it's less controversial.

Do I just start with JoJo no Kimyou na Bouken?

ufarn
May 30, 2009
So beyond the regular Attack on Titan anime, there are some spin-offs with OVAs like Lost Girls and possibly other stuff based on magas, too?

I don't really care much for stories that aren't by the original author, so am I missing out on canonical story stuff by Hajime Isayama anime-wise if I just watch the regular show sans OVAs etc? Or are you "supposed" to watch things like Lost Girls for the full experience?

ufarn
May 30, 2009
I accidentally saw some video of Annie on YT that I hadn’t seen so I figured that person got featured in an OVA, but the writing in S3 is silly enough as it is so I’d rather just ignore middling OVAs if they aren’t super canonical anyway.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
don't know whether to trust a writer with the name gun snark

I also remember some of the chibi stuff on some of the DVDs, don't recall a lot of extra content on my S1 Blu-ray, but maybe I'll take a second look at it.

Which Blu-rays are the OVAs supposed to be on, because my google-fu is failing me? CR doesn't seem to have anything, and I don't have my S1 Blu-ray with me right now.

ufarn fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Oct 21, 2018

ufarn
May 30, 2009
(first season of) sac is so good, i wish it were as mainstream as the movie

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The second season's fine. The movie, on the other hand...
It’s got some great stuff in it, but the plot is pretty weird. Definitely not a season to skip, though.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
I'm watching Fate/Stay Night which is absolutely awful with terrible art, but is there a version with a higher, let's called it production value?

Leave aside "the right order" hell discussion, are there any that are good just for the quality of it? I'm guessing Apocrypha might be the most fun in that regard?

ufarn
May 30, 2009
It's the 2015 version (ufotable) I'm watching atm on Netflix. I'm pretty much watching season 2 because I'm so mad at how little action there's been.

ufarn fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Nov 9, 2018

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Furnaceface posted:

Sorry I keep reviving this dying thread.

I need a good cry. That one episode of Re:Zero really got me and I want more of it. Bring on the sadness (tears of joy are also acceptable).
Violet Evergaarden. On Netflix. Has a bonus episode, too.

I dare you to watch it without getting misty-eyed. Yui Ishikawa (Mikasa Ackerman, 2B) also voices her, which is a nice cherry on top.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

QuarkJets posted:

I'm looking for a new shounen series

I just finished season two of Mob Psycho, and I'm all caught up on One Piece and One Punch Man. What's the current cool shounen hotness besides those?

I finished the DB Super episodes up through the multiverse tournament arc, it was super duper and I heard that they continued the series after that (even though that arc was such a good stopping point)? Is that any good?
Aside from MHA, Demon Slayer/Kimetsu no Yaiba is great, but you might want to wait until its first season is over so you can binge it.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
You should check out Gunbuster just for Hideaki Anno and the fun of comparing the show - from the 80s! - to Evangelion.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Not so much a recommendation, but what should my expectations for Vinland Saga be? Is the manga great-great, or just a nice thing to look forward to - especially with WIT Studio animating?

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Fun Times! posted:

Is there a rehost of ADTRWiki? The original says the domain has been sold.
You could still access it by IP address if you can find it, and it's just the domain that's been sold. Assuming that's the case.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
After watching/reading some of the monstrosity that is Gantz, I kinda want some good horror, and I was thinking some Junji Ito manga, especially since his works are finished and readily available to buy everywhere.

I have *zero* idea where to start and what is good; the only real requirement is that it's well finished a while ago so I can buy it in print in Europe.

I was thinking something like 2-3 stories, this way I can always slap some on a Christmas wishlist. Also some bookstores here seem to have Black Friday deals.

EDIT: Another thing probably worth asking is: which of Ito's stories should I not bother reading until I've gone through all his other, better, stuff?

ufarn fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Nov 29, 2019

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Thanks for the answers so far; another thing: are the onomatopoeia/sound words usually translated/transliterated in the English version of Ito's works, and how important is his use of sounds in horror? I hear a lot of people gripe about them rarely being preserved in translations, but Ito's style doesn't seem like something that would rely too much on them.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Finished No Game, No Life. I'm the biggest sucker for intelligent seventh-dimensional chess, but jfc the anime creepiness was a challenge to get through.

Fat surprise it's apparently a light novel or something.

Really makes me want to revisit Death Note.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Endorph posted:

death note, a series that definitely doesnt have issues with women
take a wild guess why i never finished it the first time around

ufarn
May 30, 2009
can't wait for the upcoming incel note chapter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ufarn
May 30, 2009
(If it is Gunbuster, be sure to watch the show instead of the movie btw.)