Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

Antlions posted:

You should try Legend of the Galactic Heroes, OP.

I'm in the middle of Rose of Versailles right now but I'm gonna be totally out of shows when I'm done. I'm looking to brush up on my 70s/80s anime, and the only things I can recall that I've seen are this, LoGH and Gunbuster. What other classics am I missing?

galaxy express 999 and urusei yatsura.

for things that aren't 1000 episodes long check out:

angels egg (a true work of real art by the master himself mamoru oshii)
urusei yatsura 2: beautiful dreamer (another movie by oshii, so good that people sent him death threats in the mail)
royal space force: the wings of honneamise (hiroyuki yamaga was only 24 when he wrote and directed this!! wow!!)
aim for the ace (teh movie (gunbuster cribs its general plot outline and name from this))
megazone 23 (parts 1&2 only!!! part 3 sucks rear end)
bubblegum crisis (its unfinished but it kicks some major 80s rear end)
goku midnight eye (the most easily recommendable of kawajiris 80s cyberpunk stuff)
riding bean (anime fast and the furious set in chicago for some reason??? whatever it owns)
project a-ko (ridiculous 80s parody anime)

theres a lot more though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

Antlions posted:

Thanks, I'll be sure to check them all out. Pre-90's is kind of just a big hole in my viewing experience, so I've got a bit of catching up to do.

it is for a lot of people!! dont sweat it though a lot of stuff is really good and a lot of stuff is bad but holds sentimental value for people. the 80s were a fascinating time because the bubble economy at the time allowed for studios to be incredibly prolific, ambitious, and experimental without really having to worry about returns and profit percentages

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

unpronounceable posted:

I'm having trouble thinking of recommendations for Shirobako for the wiki. I'm just really drawing a blank, and want some help.

otaku no video and genshiken are similar enough i'd say

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

Zas posted:

beautiful dreamer has such a huge place in my heart, and is another great example of death threats being the sign of S Class anime.

I've seen a ton of Oshii films but oddly enough not GotS (I'm the least authentic otaku). A buddy of mine invited me over to watch some GotS at one point but it turned out he was talking about the shows - Apparently he is meh on the films ::yare yare::

Have you read the Oshii/Kon collaboration manga? I wonder if it's good or if it suffers from Super Group Syndrome

assuming you are talking about ghost in the shell you absolutely need to watch the movies as soon as possible. it's interesting that he is meh on the movies - i am the complete opposite. i think sac is a boring procedural show made a mite more interesting with a cyberpunk sheen but the movies like all the best oshii movies are haunting meditations on metaphysics and specifically ontology. i think innocence is even better than the original.

i have not read their collaboration, but i will look into it as soon as possible. aim for the ace is absolutely essential too and you should watch it when you get a chance. smoking crow is doing an 80s shonen simulwatch where he was planning on doing 3 episodes of important 80s shonen shows. i'd be interested in doing an 80s simulwatch that covers stuff everyone else isn't planning (which still gives a lot of options but some of the best 80s material is being taken care of.) also sakurazuka is doing a good job with his movie thread which is mining similar territory. once things settle down i will take a look at what i would consider "important" that isn't covered by any of these things.

cheers :cheerdoge:

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

i think i'm the one that recommended it to you in the haruhi thread. hi. i would say at least finish bake. nise takes the stuff you're not really feeling, cranks it up to 11 and breaks the knob off. it's gratuitous and gross to the point of absurdity, where it almost comes off like an autocritique. i dunno, though. there are lots of ways to read it, i'm sure. it's probably my least favorite of all of them and it's sort of a necessary evil to get to neko/season 2 both of which are excellent

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

Y Kant Ozma Diet posted:

I am completely new to anime. All I've watched is FMA:B. Is anything on Netflix worth watching? I like your typical genre stuff. Sci-Fi, Fantasy, Horror etc.

This is kinda vague but like I said I'm just sorta starting to watch this stuff

pretty much everything good has been mentioned so far but i'll throw in a rec for genius party & genius party beyond.

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

Anonymous Robot posted:

Yo, recommend me something cool if you dare!

black lagoon, gunbuster, fist of the north star (the movie), space adventure cobra, dirty pair: project eden, riding bean, cyber city oedo 808, devilman ovas, dominion tank police, megazone 23 parts 1&2

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

Jose posted:

what are some good films to watch?

the last i saw was either redline or paprika and i've only seen a few. akira/gits obviously and then jin-roh and spriggan years ago and obviously a bunch of ghibli stuff and probably some more i don't remember

mind game, gauche the cellist, genius party & genius party beyond, angels egg, urusei yatsura: only you & urusei yatsura beautiful dreamer, royal space force: the wings of honneamise, macross: do you remember love?, bonjour galaxy express 999 & adieu galaxy express 999, the sky crawlers, neon genesis evangelion: the end of evangelion, rebuild of evangelion, patlabor 1 & patlabor 2, adolescence of utena, puella magi madoka magica the movie 3: rebellion, the disappearance of haruhi suzumiya

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

CelestialCookie posted:

Is there any other anime movies out there that have the same tone and feeling like Satoshi Kon's movies?

mamoru oshii trades in a lot of the same thematic elements

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

Astro Ambulance posted:

Just finished K-ON!
I'm not crying you're crying.

this is the appropriate reaction yes

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

Astro Ambulance posted:

Just finished K-ON!
I'm not crying you're crying.

did you watch the movie

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

lucky star is a great victory lap for kyoani after the success of haruhi and k-on is good. too

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

Unfortunately he dies if he sees panties too often.

same

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

Captain Invictus posted:

There's a manga called Dragons Rioting that's a cross between that and ranma saotome, in that you've got a pro martial arts kid trained in the mountains by his father his whole life but he's got a terminal illness where he goes into heart failure if he gets too aroused. He applies to some special all male martial arts school but oh no its actually all female! And they're all scantily clad martial artist badasses!! So he has to survive his daily school life both because of martial arts violence as well as avoiding pantyshots!!!

It's not as good as prison school in terms of being smart with its fanservice but it's good dumb fun and the main character is fantastic

that sounds fun but im illiterate

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

Help Im Alive posted:

What is smart fanservice

eroticism

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

what's some good shows like honey and clover, nodame cantabile, kids on the slope, and your lie in april?

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

welcome to the nhk

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

yes watch patlabor. ova and then the movies. the tv series takes place in a different chronology and is more supplementary than necessary but it's good too. i haven't watched the new files or the third movie so someone else can speak for those.

also watch gunbuster and diebuster.

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

Help Im Alive posted:

What are the good anime movies that aren't studio ghibli/satoshi kon etc ones that everyone knows because I haven't watched many

Radio Spiricom posted:

mind game, gauche the cellist, genius party & genius party beyond, angels egg, urusei yatsura: only you & urusei yatsura beautiful dreamer, royal space force: the wings of honneamise, macross: do you remember love?, bonjour galaxy express 999 & adieu galaxy express 999, the sky crawlers, neon genesis evangelion: the end of evangelion, rebuild of evangelion, patlabor 1 & patlabor 2, adolescence of utena, puella magi madoka magica the movie 3: rebellion, the disappearance of haruhi suzumiya

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

also neo-tokyo, memories, roujin z, robot carnival, colorful, tekkonkinkreet, barefoot gen, jin-roh, lensman, golgo 13: the professional, fist of the north star, space adventure cobra, yamato movies, ideon movies, gundam compilation movies, i'd be remiss if i didn't mention kawajiri but his stuff is not really easily recommendable, uhh lots more

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

Sarrisan posted:

I just finished Hunter-x-Hunter the other day and I'm surprised how much I enjoyed it. It was my first very long series, and also my first straight-shonen. Can anyone recommend another longish series that I might have overlooked for being too mainstream? I gave Fairy Tail the 1-episode treatment and was not very impressed.

yuyu hakusho naturally. it's not as fully realized as hxh and some of it can feel like a trial run for things that are better executed in hxh but it's worth a watch if you haven't.

fist of the north star and jojo's otherwise. dragonball if you haven't watched it for some reason. ranma 1/2 is neat but you don't need to watch all of it because after all the characters are introduced it mostly just recycles. yakitate!! japan takes shonen fighting tropes and transposes them to baking bread. its only 69 episodes though.

but yeah if you're interested in these types of shows you're better off just reading the manga than slogging through their 100+ episode adaptations especially in the days of 12/13/14 episode cours. they're timesinks and good if you're unemployed or whatever

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

Kingtheninja posted:

So I'm watching ruroni kenshin for the first time. I think it just showed up on Netflix. I remember adv put out samurai X anime back in the day and wondering if they were related? They look like they both had kenshin in them.

north american name for the ovas

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

i agree that howl's and ponyo are pretty second rate for ghibli but wind rises and kaguya are in leagues of their own for both directors

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

Y Kant Ozma Diet posted:

I just watched the original Ghost in the Shell movie and really enjoyed it. What else in the series is worth watching?

i love innocence but it elaborates on the deliberate pace, constant philosophizing, and overall mood of the first, rather than focusing on the procedural aspects. sac is definitely better if you prefer the latter, but i'm not a big fan. i realize i'm in the minority here.

if you like the movies just watch all of oshii's other stuff.

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

golgo 13

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

it's not as good as the movie but it's very entertaining and well done. i would say the only real downside to it is that it's extremely episodic, almost to the point that one could watch the episodes out of broadcast order and it wouldn't matter at all. it's also (obviously) a bit methodical and deliberate - it mostly just follows duke around from job to job. its great if you just want to watch a badass be suitably badass for 25 minutes at a time.

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

i picked up the first volume of monster at barnes and noble the other day and i read six or seven chapters and i was hooked and plan to continue it. the problem is that i realized later on its like 150+ chapters and it seems like a pretty drastic undertaking. i'm already worried about my visual media consumption habits as is and don't need to add to them.

i guess what i'm looking for is manga recommendations for similar things that aren't as lengthy. doesn't *need* to be psychological drama/horror. i'd prefer seinen i suppose but i don't really care about demographic distinctions. i don't know anything about the technical aspects of comics the way i do with movies/tv and can pretty much be sold on the goodwill of the storytelling alone

some other stuff i plan on reading but have put on the backburner: berserk, all other urasawa, all fukamoto

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

nah it's cool, i get that realistically doesn't make any sense probably. they're not (afaik) but all those are more long term goals than anything. more just looking for a quick diversion before i'm able to make time to read longer things is all. also i'm way too manic to space reading out

watching the show right now, don't want to spoil myself

Davincie posted:

franken fran, holyland, punpun, akira (is very different from the movie after a while), say hello to blackjack

thats just some random seinen that are either psychological dramas or horrors of medium length

read akira but the rest are unknown to me ty

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

Linnaeus posted:

I'm looking for shows that parody by copying famous scenes, like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Edt4LaYTBqQ

The only other such anime I can think of is gintama

school rumble also does initial d in the first episode. i forget how much of excel saga is 1:1 correspondence but like pretty much all of it is parodic in some way

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

Nude posted:

Hi I'm looking for a type of anime that does creative/weird things with the medium. Things like Ping Pong, Nichijou, anything by Satoshi Kon (Paprika). That's pretty much all I have as an example though. When I say creative I mean like interesting camera shots, or playing with different mediums (charcoal, watercolor), or weird cuts between scenes. stuff like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2v6iOVhw6mQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HW0v-NuudQw

I hope that gives you some idea of what I'm looking for oh and I know about Studio Ghibli of course. I basically want watch really weird tripy films.

adolescence of utena but it basically requires watching the series as a prerequisite to make sense of the narrative

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

genshiken, katanagatari, gatchaman crowds, hunter x hunter, patlabor, gunbuster/diebuster, kaiji, and i'll hesitantly recommend s1 of haruhi because it could probably go either way (though you would probably hate s2)

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

Sesquiculus posted:

I haven’t really watched anime since the late nineties, but a couple of shows on Netflix and the simulwatch thread here have reignited my interest. I’m looking for mellow, character-focused comedies, preferably with adult characters and not schoolkids. I don’t really have an interest in over-the-top goofy comedies or action stuff.

shirokuma cafe, wakako-zake

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

hello i havent posted in this forum in like a year. can someone recommend me some good romance or romcoms. new or old. i would prefer manga but anime is fine too.

i love nana, paradise kiss, honey and clover, maison ikkoku, urusei yatsura, touch, kimagure orange road, kimi ni todoke
i like ranma, mysterious girlfriend x, chihayafuru, ore monogatari, kare kano
i dislike toradora, snafu, chunibyo, welcome to the nhk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

i have not but it looks to be exactly what i am looking for so thank you!!