Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I'm only going to recommend k-on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Droyer posted:

60s grab bag by Gorf Zaplen, Evangelion by Srice (this one may be delayed depending on when decent torrents of the blu-rays appear), The -gatari series by Namtab, Patlabor by me, and 80s grab bag by Smoking Crow.

Why does everyone keep missing k-on off this list

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

DrSunshine posted:

I'm in the mood for something optimistic -- is there anything like the manga/anime equivalent of Star Trek? Something set in a clean, optimistic future, about characters doing things in space or somesuch. Planetes was great, but a bit downbeat.

K-ON is very optimistic

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Torquemadras posted:

I feel like I've watched too many talky shows recently.

So please recommend me animes with ridiculously awesome guns and ridiculously awesome shooting of ridiculously awesome guns

None of that mecha stuff. I want hard-boiled shooting mans with ridiculous outfits. I watched Hellsing and that fulfilled all criteria, as well as having a surprisingly tidy and satisfying ending. It is what I shall measure all shooty animes by in the future.

Give me violence

Trigun

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Jose posted:

what are some good films to watch?

the last i saw was either redline or paprika and i've only seen a few. akira/gits obviously and then jin-roh and spriggan years ago and obviously a bunch of ghibli stuff and probably some more i don't remember

I recommend the k-on movie

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Captain Invictus posted:

Thanks sharky for posting untagged spoilers after I said I was ten chapters in you worthless poo poo

:qqsay:

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I was with him right up until "you worthless poo poo"

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Davincie posted:

im looking for good, finished and relatively long (not like 400 chapters but between 50-200 is ok) shonen or shoujo to read on the plane. little to no fanservice

Up yourself to the seinen game and read acclaimed manga K-ON

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

im gonna slap jack

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

young black jack

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

im gonna respond seriously and unironically to the guy making the chihayafuru jokes as though he is posting seriously

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

im the fat gaijin playing karuta

E: slowly

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Not much beats TTGL in terms of scale, so you should watch K-ON instead, and reflect on how little things can be important to people

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Pavlov posted:

But wouldn't the people watching K-ON have to stop touching their little things in order to reflect on them?

Reflect through action

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

DamnGlitch posted:

I sure am glad recommending LoGH is passe and pushing k-on constantly is the new fuckin thing to do.

I have never given a recommendation that is not K-ON, even in the last thread

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

aherdofpenguins posted:

I just watched 5 Centimeters Per Second and bawled my eyes out. It started out like a pretty typical romantic drama, but ended on way more of a mature note than I was expecting. I liked it a LOT, and would like to keep going with this kind of anime.

Does anyone have any suggestions for movies that are kind of like this that...

1) are not Ghibli

2) are emotional, but don't try to elicit cheap feels by killing off characters

Any help would be appreciated! I haven't watched any sort of anime in a long time, and watching that was a very pleasant surprise.

The k-on movie will give you intense feels

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Astro Ambulance posted:

I saw a recommendation somewhere on this board for an anime that was described as "like chai tea for the soul" or something like that, does anyone have any idea what I'm talking about?

I don't know specifics, but you should watch k-on

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Nate RFB posted:

Yeah that could be descriptive of a lot of things but for now I'll take a guess at it being...Non Non Biyori.

I'm pretty sure that's the real answer

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Astro Ambulance posted:

Pretty sure it was this, thanks! Also I just started K-ON because it looks cute.

Thank you.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Captain Invictus posted:

I'm reading through Eden: It's An Endless World on recommendation from the Convince With One(or more) Pages thread and I'm not really feeling it. I mean it's decent, and the artwork is great, the various storylines can be okay and the mechanical designs and such are fantastic, but it's basically the "you're gonna have a bad time" of manga. Are you a character in Eden? Chances are, you're gonna have a bad time. Are you a child or a woman onscreen at any point in Eden? You're probably gonna have a bad time. Are you a heavily armored power suit soldier or a cop? You're definitely gonna have a bad time. Are you a character who's been in the series for half its run, had a pretty nice amount of character growth, is a strong character in your own right, and end up with a happy ending? You're goddamn guaranteed to have a bad time. Nothing ever goes right, someone always sabotages [thing], everyone's a spy/backstabber.

It's like the author cannot under any circumstances let anyone come out of a bad situation well, or if they do, sure as shootin' something even worse will happen to them later on.

Oh and "having a bad time" means "horrifying, gruesome death by dismemberment, headshot, decapitation, impalement, riddled by bullets, explosion, immolation, evisceration, brain-fry, etc"

There's like, two characters I can think of who haven't yet been mutilated somehow and have been around for a long time. Hell, one of the others who was, just DID get mutilated. There was a comparison to Ghost in the Shell in there but I'm feeling like this is much more disjointed and incohesive than GITS, especially GITS:SAC.

I'm maybe halfway through though, just got to the part where Helena shows up again for just long enough to get her brains blown right the gently caress out
You should read k-on instead

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Strange Quark posted:

I can't believe Namtab is asleep for this.

:negative:

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

ViggyNash posted:

I finally watched the first two episodes of K-on and liked it. I blame you Namtab.

But seriously, it's a good show despite Yui being the blobbiest of moeblobs.

You did well and yui is the best

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Condiv posted:

i just got a lot of weed and i'm gonna get super stoned tonight, what's the best anime to watch stoned?

please no anime with chars that say uguu~ (unless it's by go nagai)

K-on

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

autism is no joke

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Bad Seafood posted:

From now on all posts advocating the existence of "Smart" fanservice must include a short paragraph detailing what separates it from "Regular" fanservice and "Stupid" fanservice.
Smart: I love it
Regular: I like it
Stupid: manservice

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

The Colonel posted:

i don't know what you expected when the tags were Ecchi Horror Tragedy

Something sexy

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

MSPaintClock posted:

I finally watched all of Legend of Galactic Heroes, it really was amazing.
But where do I go from here?

Someone recommend me something new- here are the precious Animes I love:

Kemonozume (My favorite ever.)
Tatami Galaxy
Mind Games
Ping Pong
Basically everything with Masaaki Yuasas name attached to it

Miyazaki Films
Hosoda Films

Mononoke
Kids on the Slope
Ghost in the Shell
Samurai Champloo
FLCL
Death Note
Trigun
Cowboy BeBop
Space Dandy
Berserk
Flowers of Evil
Sword Art Online

I like good story, animation and artwork. Even if not's anime if you think it fits my interests go for it.

edit: I might try to find where I left off in Monster and finish that, but save me the trouble and just recommend me something new.
May I recommend my favourite anime, k-on

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Kylra posted:

I've been feeling like I want to cry to something. Not the sappy romance happy kind of tears though. I want the kind that comes from irrevocable loss and/or struggling through some kind of intense personal suffering. Perhaps with some nobility mixed in, but not something that's just in the epilogue unless it's really powerful. Below is a list of some examples of the general direction of the kind of thing I am looking for. I don't mind if there's build up to it. Romance type stories are still acceptable recs here, but should probably be tragic in some way (see: Princess Tutu, Utena).

Princess Tutu
The end of Madoka TV
Kiritsugu's poo poo in Fate Zero
The more melancholic parts of Kotoura-san
Wandering Son
Utena
From the New World

It feels like there's a few others I should remember to list here, but they aren't coming to mind if so. I feel like Kino's Journey is supposed to be in here for some reason, but I can't remember well enough to say for sure.
k-on! You will cry at the end of k-on

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

You should watch all of one piece

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Pavlov posted:

Ok realpost. I'm looking for a show with the cinematography and directing of bakemonogatari, minus the pedophilia.

I've seen tatami galaxay.

Katanagatari

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

nisemonogatari

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Enough debate, watch k-on

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

All of monogatari has fanservice, but yeah nise really steps it up and if it makes you feel uncomfortable I can see why you'd stop at the toothbrushing

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Paying for vns

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Spiritus Nox posted:

I suspected I might get that answer.

What's up with Clannad in general, though? Is it just another High School Slice Of Life thing? Because I might be down for that at some point or another, but only if it does something interesting with it.

high school romance, it's good but definitely don't go for the VN over the anim unless you really like vns

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Clannad is good and kotomi/tomoya are the best

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

AnoHito posted:

No Game No Life might qualify, if you don't mind the overall tone being super upbeat rather than serious.

would not recommend

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

It will if we believe

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Meowbot posted:

I haven't really ever watched anime in my life but my friend was like hey you need tow atch some anime and recommended a bunch of shows to me (tokyo ghoul, ergo proxy, gungrave, count of monte crisco) but I'm not really sure if I will like any of that.

Things that I have watched recently and enjoyed were Black Lagoon and well thats pretty much it, I like things with guns and I do like a little bit of comedy but the thing I like the most important is the art style I am not a fan of cutesy art (I like cute things but not chibi I guess?)...

Old anime I used to really enjoy or remember enjoying were more violent things for eample I Remember SPriggan but I also really liked the humor in Slayers! and haven't found an anime as fun as that yet.

Any suggestions what I would like? Would I like something like Gunslinger girls or Canaan possibly Angel Beats after lookign at some other anime lists online?

I like a good story too but hell I can't remember if Black Laggoon had a great story or not. Sorry im not very good at this anime thing! Help please

Things important to me:

engaging story (not a zzz fest), funny female characters (like Revy from black lagoon), guns, really beautiful art, serious / grittier type of setting

It seems everything is about being in school and interacting with people. What happened to violently shooting people in the face to solve our differences?

k-on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Help Im Alive posted:

What do I watch if I DO want a zzz fest

k-on