Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Yo. Don't really watch that much anime, but I've been rewatching some of my old favorites with the extra time of not commuting every day. And as I'm close to having rewatched all I care to, it's about time to find something new. Help me here.

I tend to go for either wholesome, comedy, satire or mystery genres I think. Some shounen too more rarely. Plot has to go somewhere, characters have to be interesting, and music alone sometimes can save an otherwise mediocre show.

I haven't watched anything new since... 2013? To give you an idea, these are what I consider my favorites from that period:

Mawaru Penguindrum. Utena was my thing in the late 90's, early 00's. This is more of the same, though the former's ending was a mess.

Nozaki-kun. The jokes and characters just stayed with me and they still work.

Barakamon and Usagi Drop. Wholesome. Worked back then when they were new and still work now even though I'm in a very different mindset from back then.

Spice and Wolf. Strong characters, interesting commerce trivia. When I become ultrarich I'll be spending whatever money needed for more seasons.

Mankind has Declined. Sugary satire, unique setting, amazing lead character.

Also, stuff from 20 years ago that's still quality and worth a rewatch and doesn't match with any of the above:

Samurai Champloo. It's clever most of the time and just good fun even if unfocused most of the time. Being an ultra Rurouni Kenshin fan from before that, this blew me away as a far more interesting take on samurai-themed anime.

With that I hope there's enough here to find a recommendation that would be a good fit? Feel free to list either obscure or mainstream stuff (because I probably missed that too). Also, opinions on Mitsuboshi Colors which I saw half an episode of and seemed like my thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Much appreciated. I'll be starting with Nichijou and A Place Further than the Universe, and then work into checking the remaining of those recommendations.

Tales of Woe posted:

Sarazanmai is ikuhara's newest show and i thought it was good

I'll look into this, too!

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Apr 29, 2020

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Thanks again for all the recommendations. Small trip report: I have watched the first episode of four shows.

A Story that leads to the Antarctica: this is it! This is the sort of thing I was looking for. It has heart, an on-going plot and what looks like strong characters. I definitively want to see where it's going.

Nichijou: eh, maybe I'm missing something, but right now it feels like it's trying to get the audience to just go "LOL SO RANDOM" over and over. It just keeps throwing gags on top of gags without proper build-up or strong characters. I'll give it one more episode.

Sarazanmai: it's impressive how these many years on, I can't tell if Ikuhara is a bonafide genius or a hack that just got lucky. It's certainly more interesting than Nichijou. It's also the most formulaic I remember Ikuhara ever being. I'm curious enough to keep watching, though.

Hyouka: sadly, not impressed. It's gorgeous to look at, the animation is top notch, and the music is alright, but my first impression was "oh brother, is this going to be an Haruhi-lite with some bored girl dragging some apathetic guy around into doing something exciting for her?" Solving mundane mysteries as it turns out. Checked some reviews to confirm if there was an on-going plot that would show up later, but it doesn't seem to be the case. I'm sure the cast of characters will grow on me, but the first episode kind of left me cold.

It will take time to get through all these (at least three of them), but afterwards I'm planning to check Kaguya-sama, SSSS.Gridman, Kyousougiga, and Concrete Revolutio.

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Apr 30, 2020

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Got the chance to watch two more episodes.

Episode 2 of Hyouka worked much better for me than the first one. Nothing much even happened, but what they are going for with the humor suddenly clicked.

Episode 2 of Antarctica was a delight.

I'll give Nichijou another spin now that you guys helped me figure out what it's about. A different mindset when watching it will probably help next time.

Wark Say posted:

WRT Ikuhara, I don't think he has ever strayed too far from the structural formula that worked for him even back on his Sailor Moon days, so I think it's less him being a hack and more him sticking to what he knows, sorta like Metallica, AC/DC, Motörhead and other bands that have "stuck to their guns". Even on his 1 cour shows (both Yuri Bear Storm and Sarazanmai are 12 and 11 episodes respectively), he has stuck to the same formula, with obviously mixed results.

I brought up that argument not on the matters "here he goes with his usual gimmicks again" and more that "goddamn, it's been 5 minutes of episode 1 and I already went through 10 items from the Ikuhara checklist". It needed to be spaced out, slowed down a bit so the characters had enough room to breathe. I was hoping a shorter show would mean a more streamlined story, focused, instead it looked like the rationale was "if I don't do everything now I won't get the chance later!" It was weird.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Starsnostars posted:

I was skimming this thread for recommendations and it lead me to watch A Place Further Than the Universe which I loved so thank you anime recommendation thread.

I just finished it myself. It is a work of art. Left me with a stupid smile hours after the final episode.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

We're saved, thank god

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Not exactly an anime recommendation, more of a franchise thing. I'm looking into this cheap, bigass bundle of Attack on Titan books, novels, and even audiobooks and wondering if I should jump in. Now, I've never looked at this series, I don't know if it will be my sort of thing, nor if the quality stays strong throughout the whole run. So someone familiar with it let me know. What's the closest thing anime- or manga-wise to it? Would someone who's into Berserk like this? Are the characters and plot good? How's the anime adaptation vs the manga?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

This is probably the place in the subforum with the higher chance of finding people with encyclopedic knowledge of 70's/80's anime, so hear me out 'cause I need your help to solve a mystery that has been stuck in the back of my head for a long while.

In 1990 (yes, I'm old, thanks), I remember seeing on a local TV channel what was likely a shoujo anime of which I only recall tiny bits of the opening. Mentioning the TV channel itself won't help because it's completely obscure for anyone not living in my tiny European country, but I can tell you that any anime broadcasted there would have been from the 70's or 80's at most.

So, I what I can recall. Very kid friendly, the opening had a cheery song with musical notes flying about and surrounding a young girl, she's sitting (maybe atop some stairs or a book pile), and her head's bobbing to the tune. She may have been wearing a sailor fuku or just a plaid skirt. She may have had long, pastel pink or blonde hair. The background was likely black or just a dark color. That's it. That's all I remember.

I have no idea why earlier this year this popped up in my head, and it's funny how memory works that certain visual details are there but not completely, but it sure has been fun trying to find what show this was. In the process of trying to find it, I have rediscovered some other stuff I watched around that era but which I had forgotten too, including Majokko Megu-chan, and Candy Candy. And I also put a name to Kagaku Ninja-Tai Gatchaman which I religiously watched back then, but that I never bothered to look up even after playing Tatsunoko vs Capcom a few years back and recognizing those characters.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Dealing with IRL poo poo lately has left me in the need of cheering up with some funny entertainment. Saw elsewhere a recommendation for Gintama as a funny one and it's been amusing so far six episodes in. But this thing is huge! Does it keep the quality throughout? Hell, has anyone even watched all of those episodes?

If the quality takes a nosedive, I guess I could always rewatch Nichijou or something. Or I can hear some recommendations, too.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Srice posted:

The earliest eps are honestly the weakest parts of the show (still enjoyable though!) because like a lot of comedy anime of that sort it really improves after it gets all the character introductions out of the way such that it can just throw an assortment of characters into various situations without having to tell you what everyone's deal is.

Nice, that's just what the doctor ordered.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

RabidWeasel posted:

Kaiba is one of the most unique anime I've ever seen, it's hard to say if you'll love it but it's one of those things that everyone should at least try to experience. I should really rewatch it some time.

What's it about or does having the concept described spoil the experience and one should go in blind?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

thehandtruck posted:

I rewatched Samurai Champloo for the first time since I was a teenager and I like it better now than then, and I loved it back then. So now I'm looking for some "quality" shows because after perusing a few anime's I'm realizing just how quality SC really was so that's why I specify that. I like all genre's except comedy but obviously if there's comedy in it like SC and Bebop that's fine. Anything sad, soulful, etc is good too....if it's quality. If it makes me cry, all the better. I think I've tried every anime on netflix and just couldn't get into them.

Give Vivy: Fluorite Eye's Song a try. Very cool fight scenes, plot is alright and decently cool (if you don't think too hard about it).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLLpfJxQrFY

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Oct 3, 2022

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Bongo Bill posted:

Has it been long enough that we're allowed to resume recommending Legend of the Galactic Heroes?

Uh, what happened? That's always been a respected cult-classic series.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Julias posted:

It's just a joke about the thread title. Which is like 7 years old.

chiasaur11 posted:

It's respected, but the thread title is a threat to strangle anyone who recommends LOGH because it's been done so often.

silentsnack posted:

running gag of recommending LOGH regardless of what the was actually asked for.

Well, figures it would have been something obvious that I'd completely miss. Thanks for clarifying, anyway.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

I don't know if I would have enjoyed it as much when I was nine years old, but the season that just ended had Do It Yourself!!, a rather wholesome cute story about a group of girls forming an after school club to learn how to do DIY tasks together. If she doesn't find it "boring" right away it's certainly a good (and safe) show for a kid.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Endorph posted:

sherlock hound

Wow, this unlocked a long forgotten memory. I watched this in some form in the very late 80's or early 90's. Definitively recommended for a young child.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Narzack posted:

In particular, he likes a youtube guy named Jim Zim. It's nice, he's a very grandfatherly type.

Well, I didn't know I needed this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssgSapK3ZVM

Turns out I did. Just sitting here watching this gentleman calming my nerves with his voice, while he's racing his trains without sounding too nerdy about it.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

So, what's Pluto about exactly? I've heard it recommended over the years and still not knowing what's special about it.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

PRADA SLUT posted:

Needs recs for an adult woman (if relevant). Not necessary josei or love drama. If it mains women, they should drive positive action in the plot. Doesn’t have to be acclaimed, just good enough to the degree of like a western superhero TV show.

Humanity Has Declined (Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita). It's a surreal comedy and a cynical social critique, painted in the most colorful pastels you can imagine. The main character is... refreshing -- a deadbeat doing the work no one else wants in a world where humanity is approaching extinction, and that job being a UN mediator with an entirely new species. Said species are a bunch of weird smiling fairies, easily excited and ready to commit exactly all of humanity's excesses without a care in the world. It's pretty drat unique.

Barakamon. A young narcissist gets stuck in rural Japan on a remote island as a punishment for being a tremendous rear end in a top hat. It turns out to be a wholesome, coming of age work, where the guy interacting with the colorful cast of characters slowly grows and learns to adjust and even improve his calligraphy art. It's not as flashy as the above recommendation (nothing is) but totally worth watching. Low stakes, no complicated plotting, and an interesting setting.

Nozaki-kun. A fun comedy with a small cast of complete, utter idiots. One of them is producing shoujo manga and the others basically act as the assistants. The main point of view character has an extreme crush towards the author, who in turn is pretty oblivious to most things happening around him. That description alone does not make justice to the thing, though. Its the interactions between everyone in the cast and their daily life, plus the absurd premise of everyone trying to help out making a manga story for young girls, that makes this show standout as a really funny one.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Green Wing posted:

I'm sick as hell and all full of opioids and want to watch something light and cosy and preferably with gay ladies in it but gay guys also fine (or nobody gay at all if you must). I've been really badly out of touch with anime for ages so I just reqatched nichijou,food wars and dragon maid but am going to be zonked out on painkillers for days and need more. I never come in this forum but I know if anybody knows what's good it's you log

Cozy, gay ladies, not too long, Do It Yourself!! It's a story about a DIY school club, a very disaster prone girl trying to reconnect with her childhood friend, and a bunch of other fun dork characters.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

I had never watched a Gundam before, but a bunch of people mentioning it was extremely Utena made me watch. Very much worth giving this witch a chance.

Penguindrum and Princess Tutu are also great recommendations.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

The Colonel posted:

it just depends on how much you want to watch nine hours of dracula goring supernatural nazis

I'm sorry, but are you threatening me with a good time?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Natural 20 posted:

Genuinely despite the title this is easily my favourite of a lot of good ones mentioned above and I could write a lot about why I think it's quite so good.

Well? We are waiting.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The later arcs get weirder.

Okay, fine, you have my attention. I'll check this one out.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Azran posted:

I've been on a kick of lighthearted romantic SoL/comedies lately - Horimiya, Ookami no Otoko, Our Wonderful Days, Insomniacs After School, Futari Ashita mo Sorenari Ni, Nagatoro, etc. Any stuff you'd recommend?

You'll probably be into Shikimori's Not Just a Cutie then. Unless you are aware of it and think it's too mainstream?

Also, in general lighthearted romantic shoujo manga that I rather enjoyed sort of recently, there's Our Precious Conversations and Ran the Peerless Beauty. YMMV if you are not into shoujo manga.

A manga recommendation that I'm loving the hell out of it and I guess it's sort of comedy/SoL is Teppu about this tall girl who's really good at all sorts of sports without trying to the point of boredom, but when she finds two short girls being trained by a MMA champion, she gets heavily into it to find a way to beat them, since it's the first time she actually feels challenged. If you have any interest about martial arts, panels of characters doing the crazy eyes thing, and girls kicking rear end, get into that one ASAP.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Mentat Radnor posted:

If you somehow haven't read it, Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun is really excellent, one of the funniest mangas I've ever read. It's a 4koma romcom with emphasis on the comedy.

:hmmyes: This is the real answer.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

I would say things on the romance part have been speeding up lately. Even the most oblivious person in existence had a sudden realization at the end of Vol 13:

I mean, no pair of people drawn that way could be anything else but a couple,
but ya know, baby steps :v:

Edit: it's not a big spoiler or anything, just a funny face, but might as well mark it so since this is a recommendation thread.

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Dec 18, 2023

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

The Islamic Shock posted:

I'm two minutes into the second episode of the fluffy anime and I'm pretty sure by the end of it I'm going to be breaking into my neighbor's house to steal all of his insulin

Which fluffy anime are we talking about here? Is it Pui Pui Molcar?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Furnaceface posted:

Would also take recommendations on classic horror stuff, like an anime version of American Werewolf in London or Silver Bullet.

The original Boogiepop Phantom anime?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

DamnGlitch posted:

I’m not sure why they didn’t hype it to the hilt after squid games popped off.

Netflix is presently run by some of the biggest morons in the business. They lost so much ground in the last few years and have no idea what to do.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

doomrider7 posted:

Bundle imcludes, Vindland Saga, Medalist, Nina the Starry Bride, Blue Period, Shangri-la Frontier, The Drops of God, A Silent Voice, What Die Have to Eat Yesterday, Witch Hat Atelier, A Sign of Affection. Only two days left on it.

Some of these look cool, and I recognize Vinland Saga of course, it's pretty popular around here. I think I saw some ads for Witch Hat Atelier and said "hey, this artwork is pretty cute, well done". How are the rest of them?

Two seem to be about people who need sign language to get around -- is that reflected in a way it shows either of the authors are legit familiar with the experience?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

doomrider7 posted:

Shangri-la Frontier is the greatest videogame manga ever written and Medalist is by far one of the best sports ones same for Witch Hat Atelier and fantasy.

Well, there's certainly a lot of variety there for sure. Even the wine one looks at least worth a try just for the concept alone. Not sure how they managed thirty volumes of it, though.

Thanks.