Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Dirty Pair is a cool 80s series and you can just watch Project Eden to see if you'd be interested in it since it's a cool intro to the series

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Animation Runner Kuromi is also about making anime, though it's almost entirely driven by gags so it's not quite the same as Shirobako.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Dozeworthy posted:

Should I watch the original Space Battleship Yamato or 2199?

2199 did a fine job at updating the original to something more palatable for modern audiences while keeping what people liked about the original, so I say go with that first unless you're interested in the series from a historical perspective.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Hell, same.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

What I watched of it seemed pretty dry and slow, though I'll readily admit I'm not a big space opera fan and I can see why that crowd eats it up.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Is Guilty Crown any good? Caught a preview for it at the start of the second Blu-Ray of Michiko and Hatcin and it looked okay.

It's the worst kind of bad, the boring kind.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Chas McGill posted:

Tatami Galaxy will seem pretty profound.

What the heck it's already a v profound show!

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

The 2003 series is pretty solid. And it looks fantastic too since they put a lot of money and effort into its production.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Ippo is in high school early on but since it's about someone who pursues pro boxing, he graduates and boxes full-time

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Torquemadras posted:

I have decided I need more mecha anime in my life.

What's a good starting point? I've seen three shows that are mecha genre - Evangelion (I loved how beastly and horrifying the "mechas" turned out to be), Giant Robo (Giant Robo feels suitably GIANT and awe-inspiring) and TTGL (liked how goofy the mechas were, but battles seemed rather arbritrary to me; totally loved the ever-increasing HELL YEAH factor towards the end & the nonsensical scifi aspects, though). Not sure what exactly I'm looking for; I guess I want shows where you feel the sheer weight and size of awesome, earth-shattering war machines, and I've always had a heart for... "pseudo-realism", I guess? I dig that whole scifi aspect where the technobabble is obviously fake, but they try to somewhat acknowledge physics, things break down and are maintained, there's elaborate safety procedures and whatnot, all kinds of stuff that ALMOST make giant mechas seem reasonable.

I've heard good things about Patlabor - maybe I'll start with that series (...or the movie? Not sure how the two are related)!

There are two timelines for Patlabor but they're only really important because one of them is directed by Oshii.

That timeline is the first OVA and then the movies (Technically movie 3 is part of it too, though it was made many years later without Oshii helming it)

And the other timeline is the TV series and the second OVA.

OVA + the first two movies is the best way to get into the franchise.

As for other shows I'm gonna recommend Shin Mazinger. It's a modern take on one of the oldest mecha around, and it's directed/written by Imagawa who had the same role with Giant Robo. While it's not as excellent as Giant Robo is, it's still a worthy show in its own right.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Early 2000s stuff has aged rather poorly in many cases since so many studios were trying out new tricks.

A lot of early digital coloring is the worst, it's so garish that everything feels wrong.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

The Colonel posted:

diebuster and gunbuster are both cool with lots of super rad animation, i think it just comes down to preference with both of them

also i haven't seen wings of honneamise yet but i don't know what i'd call the most beautiful movie i've seen, cause gently caress there are some really incredibly animated movies out there. i don't really even know if it would be possible for me to pick one as the most beautifully animated i've ever seen

I think I'm gonna give a cliche answer and say Akira, since there's hella detail in everything and lots of motion to boot.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Help Im Alive posted:

What are the good anime movies that aren't studio ghibli/satoshi kon etc ones that everyone knows because I haven't watched many

Oshii directed a bunch of cool films. Other movies that come to my mind are Akira, Mind Game and while I'm not a huge fan of the guy, Shinkai directed some movies that people quite like.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Help Im Alive posted:

I dunno how I forgot to put Mind Game on the list, it is probably the best one

I haven't seen any of the other suggestions though - thanks everyone. I dunno why movies aren't recommended more often because I'm too lazy to commit to 26 episodes of something

I think it's just that a ton of anime movies aren't available to stream legally and these days if it's not streaming it might as well not exist.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Paperhouse posted:

I'm actually watching that at the moment, it's great and I am considering going to the manga to carry on with it

How is Billy Bat compared to Urasawa's other stuff? I still think Monster is the best, though I am loving Pluto. 20th Century Boys fell apart a bit for me, but it was excellent until the later volumes. Thanks for the recs, will look into them all

I've only read a bit of Billy Bat but it seemed comparable to some of his best.

Earlier this month there was an announcement that it's on its final arc so I've been waiting for it to end before going on a binge.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Please do not slander the fire sisters, tia

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

-Blackadder- posted:

Have there been any recent good (I'm not sure how to describe them) Gambler/Strategy duel type animes? I'm basically talking about stuff in the same vein as Kaiji, Akagi, One Outs, and Liar Game. And while not being exactly the same I guess Death Note qualifies as well.

Not anime, but the Gambling Emperor Zero manga is by the same guy behind Kaiji and Akagi so it should scratch that itch.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

The first movie is a recap of the first two episodes followed by an original story so it's worth checking it out if you want more.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

If length is a concern then G-Reco is a great choice since it's a manageable 26ish eps and is the best they put out since Turn A

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Cake Attack posted:

Chihayafuru

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Cake Attack posted:

wait does canada actually have different licensing on CR then America?

For Canadians if you're not a paid subscriber then older titles aren't available but that's about it afaik

Srice fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Apr 5, 2016

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Anno was booted off the show so he didn't direct the last third or so. Still worth watching tho.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Nude posted:

Hi I'm looking for a type of anime that does creative/weird things with the medium. Things like Ping Pong, Nichijou, anything by Satoshi Kon (Paprika). That's pretty much all I have as an example though. When I say creative I mean like interesting camera shots, or playing with different mediums (charcoal, watercolor), or weird cuts between scenes. stuff like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2v6iOVhw6mQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HW0v-NuudQw

I hope that gives you some idea of what I'm looking for oh and I know about Studio Ghibli of course. I basically want watch really weird tripy films.

Masaaki Yuasa is the director of Ping Pong and all of his stuff is like that so that sounds like a safe choice to start off with. Mind Game's an amazing choice and is still on Netflix. It's a good showcase of what he can accomplish with a movie budget, the style frequently changes and it has one of my favorite depictions of God in a visual medium; the protagonist can't possibly comprehend what God would actually look like so what he sees is something that changes its appearance at an incredibly rapid rate.

Past that, Tatami Galaxy is phenomenal (and it's on Hulu) and the rest of his shows are worth checking out but you'll have to resort to fansubs for those.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Shin Mazinger is good but if you only watch one Imagawa anime, you can't do better than Giant Robo

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

There's so much money lying on the table that the original series and EoE will be license rescued at some point, but until then there's no shame in pirating the blurays.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I'm really surprised NGE hasn't gotten a Blu-Ray release in recent years, especially with the Rebuild Movies coming out.

It did! It's just not (legally) available in English. I'm sure Funimation would love to get the rights to it but considering the clusterfuck with 3.33 it sounds like those deals are rough to say the least.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

The blurays look gorgeous and I can't wait to own a copy with English subs in the year 2525.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

The Devil Tesla posted:

I would also not be shocked if Funimation has a rights to the awesome Eva blu-rays but is sitting on it for whatever reason.

They've been open about how the Rebuilds sold incredibly well for them, so if they do have the rights I'd place money on the Japanese side of things bogging it down. They'd want to tell everyone it's coming as soon as they're able.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Watch Nozaki-kun.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

The Aim For the Ace movie is pretty cool, I wouldn't put it on par with Ping Pong by any means but like Ping Pong it gets quite creative with its visual direction.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Bad Seafood posted:

FLCL's dub is good, fools!

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Megachile posted:

I had a couple of years where I watched a bunch of anime and had a list of things I thought were really incredible from the medium. But for whatever reason I haven't watched anything new (other than Mushishi S2 and new Ghibli films) in a few years, and presumably there's a bunch of great new stuff out there.

I particularly liked things like Mushishi, Ghost in the Shell Standalone Complex, Paranoia Agent, Tatami Galaxy, Planetes, Spice and Wolf, Haibane Renmei, Kino's Journey. A broad spread in terms of subject matter and flavor, but united by a toned-down, subtle approach aiming at "art" as much as "entertainment" (if that's not too crass of a dichotomy). I'm not against action, but let's say I'm somewhat averse to overt anime-isms (eg things like Attack on Titan or Madoka Magica are a bit much). What new stuff has come out in the past few years in the vein of those shows? Thanks!

Since you didn't bring up Ping Pong I'm gonna assume you haven't seen it. You should watch Ping Pong, as it shares the same director as Tatami Galaxy so I figure that's the best place to start for recent anime given the titles you named.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

If you mean the villain reveal then yeah that's around when a bunch of problems cropped up for me and the rest of the series became a lot less interesting as a result.

I don't feel the ending is terrible per se but it could have been so much better.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

So when Pavlov says "it's a good show if you can get past that it's about sports" I'm like, yeah it's stupid to dismiss a great show because you're a nerd and didn't do sports in high school and don't care, but I think he knows that too and that's why he's saying it.

There are too many people that genuinely throw shade at sports anime in this manner for me to give anyone the benefit of the doubt.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

As someone who has watched a bunch of sports anime that metaphor doesn't really describe them at all because there are always plenty of characters with desires and dreams outside of one sport they like to play, even the people that want to make a living doing said sport.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Lupin Part 4 technically came out last year but with the weird way it aired it's eligible for the 2016 anime of the year vote. More people need to watch it!!

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

unpronounceable posted:

Have there been any noteworthy dubs released in the past few years? Panty and Stocking is pretty much the best, the Toradora dub is just really solid, and GitS Arise was good, even if Mary Elizabeth McGlynn wasn't voicing the Major. Are there any others that people have found notable? I know Funimation has been turning out a lot with their simuldubs, but I haven't heard much about those one way or the other.

Space Dandy is probably one of the best dubs in quite awhile, it really helped that they were able to have more cooperation than usual with the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

If you only watch the Gunsmith Cats OVA and also Riding Bean, then it's a p fun time