Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Hunt11 posted:

Blood Blockade Battlefront might be worth a try as well.

This one.

Also depending on your tastes Wark, you might like -Killing Bites.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

RabidWeasel posted:

Luluco is like the most perfectly distilled essence of Studio Trigger and everyone should watch it unless you absolutely hate stuff like Dead Leaves / Panty & Stocking / Kill La Kill

...it's really not at all like those last three things.

Anyways from that list i can wholeheartedly reccomend the 2003 kino's Journey to Jenny Angel, and I'd say Konosuba is definitely worth trying out, it's a fantastic comedy with a lot of heart.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
While I never finished Karin, it's an interesting concept for a series with some neat ideas, trapped within some of the most cliche school romance tropes from the early to mid 2000s. While it wouldn't be my first pick as a reccomendation, it's still enjoyable in its own right and at least worth checking out a couple of eps if the premise sounds interesting.

I'm also a sucker for the OP.
https://youtu.be/fCLtFJEh3Kk

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Also, there's two Vampire Hunter D movies, the second one, Bloodlust is amazing, and I can highly recommend it to anybody.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
I can also wholeheartedly reccomend the Kizumonogatari Trilogy for some really awesome and creative (and at times downright hilarious) fight scenes, with some surprisingly introspective discussion, and gorgeous visuals and directing.

Julias fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Mar 31, 2018

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Captain Invictus posted:

um, clearly the best japanese vampire media is the manga for My Monster Secret. Obviously.

Just don't watch the anime adaptation, that is all.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
I'm surprised nobody mentioned Haibane Renmei yet. :hr:

Julias fucked around with this message at 02:57 on May 2, 2018

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

GorfZaplen posted:

It's insanely messed up that people keep mentioning 00s series when they said they want something 90s as gently caress!

Plenty of early 00s series have a late 90s aesthetic to them, smdh

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

This.

.hack//sign really should have been half the length, but it's alright, though your enjoyment of it will probably be proportional to how much you like slow paced, navel-gazing talking scenes.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Ulio posted:

Any good shounens to watch, manga only if there is no anime of it.

I have watched the big ones.

Gonna throw you a curveball and say Zatch Bell (Gash Bell).

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Waffles Inc. posted:

hey friends

my wife and I just finished 'Kids on the Slope' in a one day binge. it was beautiful, life affirming and wonderful! also basically the only anime my wife has ever liked

i'd appreciate any slice of life style shows that kinda flow along those lines: soap opera-y, etc--doesn't have to be music based or a period piece or anything like that, just kinda in that general genre

much appreciated!

GorfZaplen posted:

March Comes.in Like a Lion

Eela6 posted:

if you want beautiful and life-affirming, watch A Place Further Than The Universe

These are both excellent choices, especially March.

You might also enjoy Ano Hana, and if you read manga, 100% read Solanin

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Eela6 posted:

I'm just getting into Soul Eater. It's a relatively modern Shonen with a great sense of style and fun characters.

It looks great, too - it's got the same director as Star Driver.

I don't know if it holds up all the way through but it might be worth a shot!

Ignore the naysayers-the ending gets a bit rough, both in the anime and the manga, but it's still enjoyable up to the end-and if you do jump into the manga afterwards, start reading from the battle for the brew, since lots of small things start to diverge.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
No, Gits is pretty much a completely different story taking place in the same world-setting and using characters with the same names

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Pondex posted:

I'm looking for really good gunfights: the anime. Something like Heat/Ronin/John Wick/100 bullets.

Bonus points for some spycraft/detective work.

Anything?

Look at the description of this video for a few choices. Not all of these (in fact most of them) don't have a gun focus though.

https://youtu.be/BxWVIaHdkbo

Julias fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Jun 25, 2018

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

DisDisDis posted:

whatever you do, watch starlight revue

:hai:

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
I'd also reccomend Serial Experiments Lain or Paranoia Agent

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Guy Goodbody posted:

What are some good horror/spooky anime to watch this Halloween season?

Boogiepop Phantom, Shiki, Yamashibai

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

GorfZaplen posted:

Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust

This is the probably the best Vampire Anime

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Guy Goodbody posted:

I'm totally up for horror-themed anime too

Better than Interviews With Monster Girls?

It's a movie, but yeah, I really enjoyed the atmosphere, the tragedy that unfolds, the world building and characters, and the cool action scenes.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Baloogan posted:

Kobayashi?

:thunk:

Coaaab posted:

Manga or anime that treats alcoholism as a main plot point or at least as a prominent subplot?

The closest thing I can really think of is in Jungle wa Itsumo Hare Nochi Guu (Haré+Guu), where the main character Haré's Mother is an alcoholic. The show doesn't dive too much into addressing it as a problem, though it is a significant part of her characterization, is a vehicle for comedic moments by being a motivating factor, and potentially informs/implies things that fill in the gaps for her backstory/history.

With that said though, it does at least play a bit more of a significant role in Halé + Guu Deluxe (essentially the second season, in OVA format), where she gets pregnant with a second child, and so multiple times characters have to hide alcohol/prevent her from drinking. This leads to one episode where, after the kids raid the house for alcohol, Haré gets tricked into drinking by Guu and it basically becomes an Anti-underage drinking PSA

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

a computing pun posted:

i think it's actually Welcome to the NHK?

This came to mind, even though the two shows are going for two completely different things. I'd also say NHK is more optimistic about changing things for the better than Bojack.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Wark Say posted:

Amanchu! was a good time. There's a 2nd season, but I haven't watched it. Season 1 is a super banging, grade-a cute, feel-good girly anime, tho'.

I very much suggest you never watch the second season of Amamchu. It is, quite the opposite of a feel-good anime.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Captain Invictus posted:

Spoil it for me why the second season is bad

Tl;dr: It's homophobic in its portrayl of romance, whether it intends to be or not, amongst other gross aspects.

It's a slap in the face to anybody out there watching the show, especially if they got drawn in because they heard the first season was pretty gay.

It's doubly gross because the boy is a loving 12 year old kid, his feelings on love aren't gonna be the same as an adults, or even an older teen, and the portrayal of this the show by the characters very much says 'oh, gay love isn't as valid as straight love', which, is loving garbage

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
I'll admit my takeaway is fairly strong and not everyone will see it that way, but I feel that the fact that many people did take away similar feelings says a lot about how the situation was framed.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

AnoHito posted:

I'm looking fro some VN recommendations, since I've gotten onto kind of a streak of playing them.

Things I've liked:
999/Virtue's Last Reward
Ace Attorney
DanganRonpa

I generally like VNs that have some kind of gameplay/choice system. If it's not going to have any real interaction, I'd rather just read a book.
I don't really care what the genre is in particular, though I guess a lot of the ones I like skew towards sci-fi and/or mystery.

The House in Fata Morgana

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Sakurazuka posted:

I just finished 428 Shibuya Scramble and it's very good

Oh yeah, thanks for the reminder that this came out in English :sweatdrop:

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

icantfindaname posted:

What are other (shonen) manga from the late 80s like Dragon Ball but not cyberpunk, or like sports/boxing stuff like Baki?

Saint Seiya
Literally the first couple of arcs of Jojos

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Paperhouse posted:

help

I have a very long flight and I thought it might be good to have a shounen to watch since they're fast paced and you can just keep watching for hours on end. I haven't watched any shounen since Bleach and Naruto when I was a kid, except for Hunter x Hunter which I did really like. What's the next best thing after HxH?

Others have already Mentioned Yu Yu Hakusho. I'd also reccomend Soul Eater as it's got a great cast of characters, can be funny at times, and the world and music is just so stylish it gives it a really cool, unique vibe. Also has a bunch of cool fight scenes that switch up fighting styles frequently.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
They also explicitly called it Faye/Stay Night, which is the old show, and not the Ufotable one.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu is definitely a treat-it's one of my favorite anime from the past few years.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Furnaceface posted:

Sorry I keep reviving this dying thread.

I need a good cry. That one episode of Re:Zero really got me and I want more of it. Bring on the sadness (tears of joy are also acceptable).

Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu

Ep 8 of Zombieland Saga this season.

Natsume's book of friends has some good eps too.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Ibblebibble posted:

A Silent Voice is a good tear-em-up.

Yeah, for movies you can't go wrong with A Silent Voice.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Dias posted:

Are there any decent soccer anime other than Captain Tsubasa and I guess Inazuma Eleven? I'm in the mood for dumb sports anime and rewatching the former (well, watching the remake).

Here's a whole list for you, though I can't personally vouch for any if them.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/myanimelist.net/amp/featured/1546/Top_18_Best_Soccer_Football_Anime_and_Manga

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Seconding Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Nanigans posted:

I've gotten in slice of life/comedy/drama anime in the past year or so after having previously only watched shounen/action stuff.

Some of my favorites are:

March Comes in Like a Lion
Shiro Bako
Silver Spoon
A Place Further than the Universe
Laid Back Camp

I just finished Silver Spoon tonight, and while I plan to continue on with the manga, I'd like some recommendations for other shows similar to these, please!

Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu sounds right up your alley.

Also, coincidentally enough:

Everything Burrito posted:

Natsume's Book of Friends has an excellent cat

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

so i'm looking for dumb OVAs/movies. the gorier and more titty-filled the better.

things i've already seen that fit and at least mildly owned:

Ninja Scroll
Karas
Bio-Booster Armor Guyver
Mad Bull 34
Violence Jack
Devilman
Mazinkaiser SKL
Megazone 23
Strait Jacket
Detonator Orgun
Crying Freeman
the first Urotsukidoji movie
Hellsing Ultimate
Genocyber
MD Geist
Armitage III
Baoh
Black Magic M-66
Metal Skin Panic MADOX-01
Angel Cop
Bio Hunter
Hades Project Zeorymer
Baki
the Highlander anime
Demon City Shinjuku
Cyber City Oedo 808
both Vampire Hunter D movies

things that were not to my taste:

Mnemosyne
Wicked City
Kite
Urotsukidoji past the first one
Mezzo Forte
Blood Reign: Curse of the Yoma
Ninja Resurrection
Psychic Wars

i am genuinely considering the possibility that i have seen everything in this niche worth seeing and then some.

as you can see i am not prudish about content beyond kind of not liking rape or really gross sex stuff, and i can tolerate both in this context, just... not preferred, the less the better. i am also fairly not discerning about quality.

Seconding Dead Leaves as a really good choice, also Hell Target (this one is pretty awful)

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Dessel posted:

This is a slightly embarassing ask but... What are some of the best melodramatic maybe slightly trainwrecky "guilty pleasure" animes out there? Slightly "trashy" anime that's definitely not "a critic's choice" but entertaining to binge. Dramatic plot twists fit the type of show well.

I'd say the most obvious pick is Code Geass. Sword Art Online hits the spot too. Both include ridiculous power fantasies but that's not necessary. The protagonist coming into contact with powerful individuals/entities is almost preferable instead, honestly. Not sure I could stand them today but I guess Gundam SEED/Destiny fits the bill pretty well too.

edit: Currently airing reincarnated as a slime anime definitely does not fit the bill. The show has pretty much zero stakes from what I've watched.

I've actually watched Future Diary, and yeah it kinda fits the bill for sure.
v

Definitely Guilty Crown

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Is Sword art online a good anime if I want something to tide over my inner teenager until attack on titan/my hero academia come back?

In addition to other suggestions, I'm going to reccomend Soul Eater. Black☆Star is your friend.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Captain Hotbutt posted:

This might be a hyper-vague or weird recommendation request.

I'm looking for a show or movie where the characters solve their problems through being good people, or the issues they face don't necessarily facilitate the characters being terrible to each other. Maybe they learn to be a team, and they don't backstab each other to achieve their goals. They basically have to do the right thing, and they choose to do it with their buds being by their side.

It sounds like I'm asking for conflict-free, lovely plotless anime, but that's not the case. The closest thing I can think of is Brooklyn 99. The characters have their disagreements, but at the end of the day, they still come through because they like each other. I'm a little burnt-out on backstabbing secretly-evil characters, or everyone just being lovely to service a plot.

Twin Spica

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
I still recommend Twin Spica

https://youtu.be/LyRNeS8dm70