Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Antlions posted:

You should try Legend of the Galactic Heroes, OP.

I'm in the middle of Rose of Versailles right now but I'm gonna be totally out of shows when I'm done. I'm looking to brush up on my 70s/80s anime, and the only things I can recall that I've seen are this, LoGH and Gunbuster. What other classics am I missing?

I think you should watch Patlabor. It's a mecha comedy cop show with a cast of fun and lovable characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Linnaeus posted:

oh like other shows? working!! probably

if you want something that goes along with shirobako's themes, maybe space brothers?

can't really think of anything that fits shirobako completely :D

Isn't there some other anime about making anime?

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Torquemadras posted:

I'm looking for real spooky anime, guys

I finished Higurashi, and it was pretty good. Looked like garbage, but I was genuinely interested in the story, and I loved all those scenes where everyone is loving crazy and everything goes wrong in the worst way possible. Also - I'm not even sure if this needs to be spoilered, but oh well - I'm a total sucker for time loops. I actually started cheering when they started remembering earlier loops towards the end of the first season, and they just kept topping that in the second. I'm really glad this show wasn't afraid of throwing completely bewildering poo poo at you all the time, only to go back and explain every little thing. Felt very... tidy, almost. This show had that satisfying feeling of completing a puzzle, piece by piece. (It was a loving marker, not a syringe :stare: ) I'm a little disappointed it wasn't as amazingly vile in the end as it was for most of the story - but I guess it's more upbeat after all.

Also watched some of Shiki, and by gawd, do these people have ridiculous anime hair. Feels very much in the same vein as Higurashi, though, and I'm strangely enjoying having dozens of characters introduced at once, only to desperately try to keep track of them while they bounce off of each other and poo poo goes wrong in the worst way possible very fast.

So now I need more horror anime. Looking especially for the sort that gets really mean-spirited towards it characters, and only gets more intense towards it conclusions. Big fan of mystery / puzzle plots, too. The shorter, the better! I'd like to think I'm desensitised towards bad animation, now that I've gone successfully through two seasons of Higurashi and most of Shiki, but, uuuuuuh... not too low-budget would be nice, too.

Spooky animes, please :ghost:

If you like higurashi you'd probably like its semi-sequel Umineko. It has many similarities but is also its own thing. The anime is real bad though, so if you're interested you should try either the original vn or the manga.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Neo_Crimson posted:

Any recommendations for Super Robot shows? I've watched, and liked, Gurren Lagann, G-Gundam, Gunbuster, and Diebuster. I've tried Shin Mazinger and GaoGaiGar, but couldn't really get into either.

Giant Robo is a fantastic 7 episode OVA series by the same director as g gundam and shin mazinger. If you don't mind old manga I'd also recommend the Getter Robo saga.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Zas posted:

It's also one of Anno's all time favs so I wanna check it out for that reason alone.

I'd love to see you run some kind of 80s anime event here, I'm sure your knowledge of film theory would give it an interesting dynamic

There's actually an 80s simulwatch by Smoking Crow in the works.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

It might be a while though, there are many simulwatches planned.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

MonsieurChoc posted:

Is there like a list or something?

60s grab bag by Gorf Zaplen, Evangelion by Srice (this one may be delayed depending on when decent torrents of the blu-rays appear), The -gatari series by Namtab, Patlabor by me, and 80s grab bag by Smoking Crow.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Seconding the Patlabor recommendation. There's also a Patlabor simulwatch planned, so you could wait for that.

Also, there are no Evangelion OVAs, so i'm not sure what you're talking about.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Anonymous Robot posted:

Re: Patlabor

I've always thought the movies looked cool. I'm more looking for a TV series to watch though. I did try watching the Patlabor series a while back and did not care for it much, but I've heard the OVAs/movies are tonally different, and better.

The movie continuity and tv continuity have different strengths. The movies have the best action and thriller moments, while the tv series has better characterization and humor. Which you like more is a matter of personal taste.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

I love it when people act like anime is the only medium ever to have female characters that are just there to be cute and/or sexy. Nothing else has ever done that, no sir.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

gmq posted:

Hi guys, I'm still looking for anime (in Crunchyroll) that'll make me cry out of happiness/heartwarming.

Thanks! While the first season was too chill to make me cry, the second season episode with Renge and Candy Store got me all teary eyed.

My love story

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

gmq posted:

I remember reading somewhere here that it was awful?

From what i heard the manga ends in the worst way possiblr, but the anime ends long before that point and is fine.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

boom boom boom posted:

What are some good short robot shows? Like, two cours at the most?

Giant robo: the day the earth stood still

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Hmm... Martian Successor Nadesico?

Seconding this. Nadesico owns. Don't watch the movie though

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Jimbot posted:

I'd like to know what they were smoking when they made that Escaflowne movie. "Hey, you know this really great series with likable characters and fun adventure? Yeah, lets remove all that and make all the characters assholes and be dicks to each other."

Such a bummer of a movie, especially coming off the series.

See also: Nadesico

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

epitasis posted:

hello friends they ran me out of the vita thread for trying to make it my anime chat thread. I would like a show to watch, if it is easily accessible on netflix or crunchyroll then all the better. doubly better if it has dubs so I can watch while playing video games but subs are fine too

really good:
welcome to the nhk
fate/stay night
steins;gate (the vn anyway)

also good:
my teen romantic comedy snafu
fate/zero
madoka

good video game viewing:
sword art online

eh:
the one where theres a death jr and a girl with a sickle
jojos

bad:
death note

I am pro-babes and anti-giant robots. thank you

wtf

Seriously though, try paranoia agent. It reminds me of Welcome to the NHK in many ways, although it's a bit more psychedelic and hosed up.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Davincie posted:

im looking for good, finished and relatively long (not like 400 chapters but between 50-200 is ok) shonen or shoujo to read on the plane. little to no fanservice

Taiyou ni ie is very good.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

I don't think there's much that beats TTGL in terms of scale, but scale isn't necessarily an indicator of quality. As others have said, try the gunbuster+diebuster combo.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Bad Seafood posted:

He Walked In On Some Folks Watching Anime And You Won't Believe What Happened Next; At 2:14 My Faith In Humanity Was Restored.

I'd read this LN

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Pavlov posted:

Is baccano not a japanese word? I usually just assume anime names are japanese words.

It's italian. I don't think any japanese words have a double c

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

ViggyNash posted:

I finally watched the first two episodes of K-on and liked it. I blame you Namtab.

But seriously, it's a good show despite Yui being the blobbiest of moeblobs.

Don't call Yui fat. It's rude

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Torquemadras posted:

Hey, what's the resident anime expert opinion on Darker Than Black? I've been looking for some sci-fi-ish action shows after having watched Psycho-Pass and Cyber City Oedo (which is so goddamn awesome, had a huge grin during the entire show :haw: ), and at least the first season seems to be well-liked. The basic premise sounds like shonen standard fare, though, which I'm not too keen on. Worth a try?
For the record: I dislike stupid rock-paper-scissor / Calvinball fights, and I got REALLY annoyed by the philosophical streak from Psycho-Pass...

And unrelated, another action show I've heard stuff about : Giant Robo. I'm not really a fan of the mecha genre, but I LOVED TTGL and depressing-and-disturbing-Evangelion...

Giant Robo is absolutely amazing and you should definitely watch it.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Torquemadras posted:

Whelp. I went ahead and watched me some Darker than Black and Giant Robo. It'd be kinda silly to choose, since I can watch both no problem, but of those two, Giant Robo is the CLEAR winner.

Goddamn that was awesome. Only two episodes in, and there's almost nothing not to love. The main kid is kinda useless, and I'm not sure why he's even necessary, but I'm sure the show will get around to that, and it's acknowledged by other characters. Other than that, I don't know what I love more: that the default mode of piloting giant robots is apparently to cling to it while yelling, that two eps in cities are getting levelled left and right, that there's a Taoist monk heroically jumping through traffic as a horse, that Giant Robo feels properly giant, or that it's just full of ridiculously good-looking motion (often involving explosions and/or giant fists).

Yeah, I see now that was entirely unfounded. :shrug:

But I have to say, I'm... kinda disappointed by Darker than Black. I made it six episodes in. The first four had cool action, some sweet silly powers that didn't overstay their welcome, and what felt like an utterly bleak and hopeless story. But somehow, that fell apart for me with ep.5/6. It kinda... looked incredibly dull. Not sure what was different. Short action scenes that looked static and disappointing, unmoving shots all over the place, generally boring to look at. Maybe I was missing the dosis of people being mentally broken from the first four. As it stands, it's suddenly kinda unappealing. And to be honest, with that preview for ep7, I'm... not inclined to continue.
Maybe it was just a budget issue for these two, but it looks like I'll have to skip to the good episodes with this one if I'm ever gonna pick it up again... Whatevs. Imma watch Giant Robo now.

NUCLEAR POWER :haw:

I'm glad you're enjoying Giant Robo, it is very good. If you want more by the same director when you're done consider checking out Shin Mazinger Z

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

To TorqueMadras: It's worth noting that Giant Robo is very loosely based on a 50's manga of the same name by Yokoyama Mitsuteru, and the now stereotypical robot that you control from the inside was popularized by Go Nagai's 70s manga Mazinger Z

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Off the top of my head i can't think of a single mecha that requires you to hang onto the side to operate. Daisaku controls Robo through his wristwatch, he does not need to be in physical contact with it.

Also Torq, when you're done with the show I highly recommend checking out the commentary track. I found it really cool and interesting.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Luna Was Here posted:

Hi, I'm not currently looking for a recommendation but rather a show I watched long ago. Sorry if this isn't the thread for it but I figured I'd give it a shot

It was about a famous detective who got killed, and his spirit inhabited a child's body. The series followed him as he continued to solve murders and also tried to solve his own. It's graphical style is similar to yu yu hakasho if that helps

It sounds vaguely like detective conan/ case closed, but i think that's about a detective being turned into a child due to a chemical potion, not spirit possession.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Blhue posted:

you need to be autistic to like it.

:thejoke:

That's a bad and lame joke, I think

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Davincie posted:

tatami galaxy isn't really time travel, but it has a lot of the same themes of repeating something over and over until you fix it

Higurashi no naku koro ni also does this. YMMV yet again though

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

AlternateNu posted:

Both of these series are a couple of my guilty pleasures. Zipang has a certain number of :tviv: moments (and I'm Navy, anyway), and despite Higurashi's really bad Deen adaptation, I liked the concept so much, the execution wasn't so much of a hindrance. (Still no Steins;Gate, though.)

if you liked higurashi that much, the original vns are coming out on steam, albeit slowly

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Macross 2 was not written by Kawamori, is not considered canon by anything else in the franchise and is generally considered to be pretty bad

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

CommissarMega posted:

Been watching Patlabor, and I'm loving the poo poo out of it. Seeing how 'normal' the robots are, as opposed to being superweapons or even military-only vehicles, is something I never knew I'd find appealing. Any other mecha shows like this?

Patlabor's kind of one--of-a-kind in that sense, unfortunately.

However, it might interest you to know there's a Patlabor simulwatch planned for sometime next year.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Torquemadras posted:

I have decided I need more mecha anime in my life.

What's a good starting point? I've seen three shows that are mecha genre - Evangelion (I loved how beastly and horrifying the "mechas" turned out to be), Giant Robo (Giant Robo feels suitably GIANT and awe-inspiring) and TTGL (liked how goofy the mechas were, but battles seemed rather arbritrary to me; totally loved the ever-increasing HELL YEAH factor towards the end & the nonsensical scifi aspects, though). Not sure what exactly I'm looking for; I guess I want shows where you feel the sheer weight and size of awesome, earth-shattering war machines, and I've always had a heart for... "pseudo-realism", I guess? I dig that whole scifi aspect where the technobabble is obviously fake, but they try to somewhat acknowledge physics, things break down and are maintained, there's elaborate safety procedures and whatnot, all kinds of stuff that ALMOST make giant mechas seem reasonable.

I've heard good things about Patlabor - maybe I'll start with that series (...or the movie? Not sure how the two are related)!

Patlabor is fantastic, but it's strength doesn't really lie with the robots,so to speak. There are 2 Patlabor continuities. The first consists of the roiginal OVA series (clled the Early Days) and all three movies. The second consists of the tv series and the second OVA series (called the New Files). Both are worth watching. I should also mention I'm planning a Patlabor simulwatch sometime later this year, so if thats of interest to you you might want to hold off.

In more general Mecha recommendations, your request of psuedo-realism is a bit tricky. Many series have moments of it but rarely stick to it, so to speak. Nonetheless, here's a short list of good mecha shows:
Gunbuster, and its sequel Diebuster
Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket (perfect if you want to dip your feet into gundam)
Shin Mazinger Z (Same director as Giant Robo)
If you're not averse to old manga, I suggest you check out the Getter Robo saga (consisting of Getter Robo, Getter Robo G, Getter Robo go, Shin Getter Robo and Getter Robo Arc). Getter Robo was cited as the main inspiration for TTGL, and it's very easy to tell if you're familiar with both. You might also want to check out the OVA Getter Robo Armageddon if you're unsure about the manga, although I personally dont care for it much.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Oh also I forgot, you might wanna check out Daiguard. It's a comedy drama mecha show which plays realism for comedy.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

Sounds like he'd like votoms if he wants pseudo realism, right? Isn't that like the defacto "real robot" series alongside patlabor?

VOTOMS is good, but I find it difficult to recommend a 50-ish episode series. also he said he wanted " I want shows where you feel the sheer weight and size of awesome, earth-shattering war machines" and the VOTOMS mechs are tiny and not very impressive power-wise

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Torquemadras posted:

Checked out the first episodes of Patlabor OVA, Daiguard and Gunbuster.

I gotta say - these three show their age... But I'm not picky. Patlabor was entertaining, and I like how the big mechs were basically big tools. Characters were pretty cool ("Go get your mech yourself, then!" "OKAY" -zooms off on scooter and actually DOES IT-), so I'm definitely gonna check out some more of it. Not too enthralled by Daiguard, honestly - I don't really like the mech's look, but who knows. Might watch this later. And regarding Gunbuster...

...just finished Episode 6. :toot: What the gently caress. That sure were some two and a half hours I meant to spent on work. Instead, I watched the deadliest football of all time, incredibly merciless and unceremonious love interest death, existentially terrifying time dilatation, an astounding amount of anime tiddies and robots doing pushups. Also, the second-best sudden shift to color in anime I've seen. One hell of a ride. Again, it does show its age, but I really didn't care.
In summary: :c00lbert: (or rather :kamina: , I guess?)

Imma watch Diebuster know

I can't disagree with that - those two shows have good stories. And as I mentioned, it wasn't the script that sunk Fate/Zero for me (except for the ATROCIOUS Calvinball battle scenes, but I guess you can blame much of that on the weird established incomprehensible magic rules of the universe). Psycho-Pass was okay, but I got annoyed by several quirks of the story, easy as that; Fate/Zero's problems for me were... Man I could rant forever about that. I hated the first episode on first sight, but then the story was actually compelling and I really liked all the actors in that hosed up battle royale, so I stayed with it. And honestly, I was enthralled. It plain didn't outweigh everything else, though, so I called it quits after episode 17 or so (as I said, I actually liked the story...). I blame the director. Dunno. :shrug:

A tip before starting Diebuster: Go into it with an open mind. It is not more gunbuster, do not expect it to be

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Torquemadras posted:

Okay so I watched all of Diebuster. It's good and I might actually like it more than Gunbuster. Action is sometimes a bit incomprehensible, but drat that is some good looking anime right there. Also, ridiculously awesome mechs. I don't like space that much as a setting as opposed to - I guess - ground-based mech action, but no complaints here. Also, no, I refuse to believe Nono's dead, she's out there somewhere crawling out of a singularity :qq:

Last comment:

You son of a bitch

I'm glad you enjoyed it, I really love Diebuster's ending and how it ties in to Gunbuster

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Help Im Alive posted:

I would say that's one of the ones everyone knows

I guess to be more specific since my request wasn't very helpful what are the good anime movies that aren't
- Studio Ghibli
- Satoshi Kon
- Redline
- Akira
- Grave of the Fireflies
- Cowboy Bebop
- Girl Who Leapt Through Time
- 5cm Per Second

(because those are the ones I've already seen)

Patlabor the Movie, and Patlabor the Movie 2

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Torquemadras posted:

Well, I tried to get into Patlabor. First the TV series, and when that didn't click for me, I tried the OVA. Yeah, and... I'm not that into it. :shrug: I dig the "realistic" aspect of the mechas, and it's occasionally really drat hilarious - Episode 4 of the OVA in particular was a pitch-perfect parody of kaiju movies, holy poo poo - but I'm... just underwhelmed by the mechas. And I don't really like the cast enough. Hm. I wasn't expecting another Diebuster (which instantly shot right into my Top 10 anime because I loving love FLCL and, as I discovered, cool mechas), but I'm still underwhelmed. Oh well.

So, let's try this the other way around! Any insanely hot-blooded and ridiculous mecha shows out there, in the vein of TTGL and Diebuster? (I think I ran out of comparable Gainax shows...?) Well, scratch that request for realism, now I want stupid awesome mecha action. I heard something about Code Geass being good, as well as season 2 of that being total rear end.

Any suggestions for the advancement of my mecha education are greatly appreciated. :toot:

Giant Robo the animation: the day the earth stood still.

Getter robo manga, yet again

shin mazinger z

G Gundam

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

GorfZaplen posted:

Onani Master Kurosawa...

In a similar vein, Molester Man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

For every midriff days or MMK there's a hundred ones that are just as bad or creepy as their premises sound

How would you know, if you never give them a chance?