Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Ulio posted:

Got the Viz/Shounen jump subscription. What are some good shounen jump manga's that are completed? I am currently reading Toriko, enjoying the manga way more than the anime adaptation.

Yugioh holds up surprisingly well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Pick IBO back up, that show rules

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

klapman posted:

gotta be honest before I make too many recommendations I have to hear how Kakegurui doesn't fall under pervy bullshit cause that show is unbelievably horny

if it's specifically horny stuff used in a gag context that annoys you, I'd recommend Devilman Crybaby cause it's a very fun and snappy show that's over and done with in ten episodes

I watched one episode of Kakegurui and needed to go take a shower from how slimy it made feel

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Defenestrategy posted:

Looking for an isekai anime that does interesting things with the genre besides OP nerd gets harem because they the bestest op fightmans and everyone loves them ezcept for the baddies. Preferably a dub, double points if the crux of the story is something with a horror bent to it.

Already watched Im a spider, Overlord, and currently watching realistic hero.

Isekai Ojisan

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Ping Pong the Animation
Planet With

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Julias posted:

As someone who hasn't seen it, i think irresponsible captain tylor fits the bill, someone correct me if I'm wrong.

I was going to recommend the same thing

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Fairy Tail is horny but like… horny in a childish way that isn’t bad for a middle schooler to read

A lot of these titles are suitable for kids. I’d recommend Witch Hat Atelier, Blue Period, Your Lie in April, Drifting Dragons, Heavens Design Team, and Cells At Work as all standout works that I’d be comfortable giving to a seventh grader

thetoughestbean fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Aug 10, 2022

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

AlternateNu posted:

Your Lie in April is pretty basic, but deals with a lot of heavy poo poo like abuse, trauma, and terminal illnesses.

It made me cry multiple times.

Young people eat that poo poo up though. There’s a reason The Fault in Our Stars got so big

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Kaiba is more of a visual experience than a narrative imo

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Vinland Saga is on Netflix if you want cool viking action

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
All-Rounder Meguru is very good and pretty far on the realism end of the spectrum

Also watch Ping Pong

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Mononoke is pretty tense and spooky, certainly worth a watch

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Parasyte the Maxim is pretty good action-horror if you like that sort of thing

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

SexyBlindfold posted:

Ousama Ranking looks amazing and has some great character moments, but like so many promising shows it kinda comes apart by the final act. Past a certain point the story just can't keep itself from piling more and more twists and bullshit motivations, which is a shame since the initial premise was solid enough.

I disagree, I think Ranking of Kings is incredibly compelling from start to finish

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
The Night Is Short, Walk On Girl is also in continuity with Tatami Galaxy and is a pretty good movie

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

ninjewtsu posted:

I, too, am really bummed that grimgar won't ever get a second season

At least the books are available in English, so you can continue with the story if you want to

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
In fact, the final book has already been translated and released

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Digimon Ghost Game is nearing 60 episodes and is still really good, if she can handle some light horror for kids

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
The Witch Hat Atelier anime should be good, whenever that comes out.

The manga is great for all ages if you want to read something instead of just watching it

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Villains Are Destined To Die and The Remarried Empress are available physically in English if you want a paper book

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Thunderbolt Fantasy has a soundtrack by Sawano Hiroyuki so you know it rocks

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

BigRed0427 posted:

Hey everyone, thanks to stumbling upon Saskai and Myaino, I'm now on a bit of a BL kick. I'm looking for more recommendations, either anime or manga. I would prefer stuff where the seme doesn't act like a total doushebag towards the uke.

Hirano and Kagiura, by the same creator

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Ulio posted:

Any thriller/mystery/horror type anime similar to Shiki, Higurashi, Monster? Don't mind manga's either, if they are easy to find digitally. I've heard Naoki Urasawa's other works are good but don't know which one is similar to Monster in that sense.

Blood on the Tracks, or anything else by Shuzo Oshimi

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Doctor Teeth posted:

Looking for good sword & sorcery fantasy manga (or anime I guess but preferably manga). I'm reading Berserk currently, have ready Fullmetal Alchemist and I bought the first volume of Seven Deadly Sins. Preferably not adaptations of journey to the west or warring states stuff (nothing wrong with those, just not what I'm looking for). Preferably more serious than comedic; I don't mind some comedy but I'm not looking for full-on parody, for example.

The Heroic Legend of Arslan is a fantasy series that got an manga adaptation by Arakawa Hiromu, the creator of FMA.

There’s also Yona of the Dawn if you want a long-running series (forty volumes and still going!) full of very pretty men

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
ODDTAXI is definitely underrated and worth a view. It’s a fantastic one season intrigue/thriller show.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

chiasaur11 posted:

I agree that it's worth a view, but underrated feels like an odd way to describe a show that's almost universally praised, and that managed to claw its way from obscurity to smashing every goal in its DVD box set preorder campaign.

It's a lot more obscure than something like MHA or Attack on Titan, but it's also gotten enough adoration that "underrated" feels like one of the few compliments it doesn't merit.

I never see people who aren’t goons talk about it! I guess I just don’t have a sense for what’s been well-received beyond the smash hits

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

PastaBakeWizard posted:

What are some good fantasy anime or manga that aren't isekai and don't do the thing where it takes place in video game logic/the character has a stat screen and class abilities like they're in a video game? Big fan of western fantasy books and very into anime and mangoes but I don't really think I've ever seen a classic fantasy setting played completely straight in anime outside of Berserk.

Witch Hat Atelier is pretty good and still ongoing.

Delicious in Dungeon is fantastic, I echo the other people recommending it, it’s wrapping up soon so will probably end in a few months.

Girl From the Other Side uses a European medieval setting but mostly takes place in the wilderness so it doesn’t come up too much.

Frieren Life After Journey’s End is a very good read if you like subdued melancholy (also still ongoing)

I’m told that Slayers is pretty fun.

There’s tons of Korean comics set in a standard European fantasy setting but most of them that I’ve read have been isekai, not good, or a combination of the two.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Pseudo Harem is really good. I love it a lot

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Eden: It’s An Endless World, maybe? It’s a very different work, though

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
I quite liked Eden, fwiw. It’s uneven but the author was trying for something and I appreciate it

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Serial Experiments Lain isn’t horror but learning about the beliefs of its lead writer Chiaki J Konaka is

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

The Colonel posted:

the beliefs of chiaki j konaka, which are unmentionable (wrote a dumb scene in a 2007 horror anime where a guy denies climate change and wrote a digimon tamers play with some dumb attempts at topical jokes about american internet culture filtered through a japanese internet context that changes the meaning of a lot of the buzz words he was using that he admitted was bad and he regretted writing)

He’s pretty big conspiracy theorist, he actively follows people who promote far-right beliefs, before, he’s told lies about the covid-19 vaccine—we’ve had this conversation before.

I don’t know why goons rush to launder this guy’s reputation

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Sakurazuka posted:

If you write Lain and The Big O you can do whatever else you like

I like his work a lot! He still sucks though

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
The Apothecary Diaries has some deaths in it but it’s a pretty comfy mystery series

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Shadows House is really freaking good

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Furnaceface posted:

In the mood for something different than my usual go to genres. Feeling like a good drama+comedy show could hit the spot, though I honestly have no idea where to even start.

Anything is fair game, even teenage drama if its handled well enough. Just no idol or magical girl shows.

Skip and Loafer

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Azran posted:

I've been on a kick of lighthearted romantic SoL/comedies lately - Horimiya, Ookami no Otoko, Our Wonderful Days, Insomniacs After School, Futari Ashita mo Sorenari Ni, Nagatoro, etc. Any stuff you'd recommend?

Will do!

Skip and Loafer

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
You don’t have to watch any show and don’t need to justify it but I wouldn’t say Golden Kamuy is light on action

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
ODDTAXI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
For manga, I’d recommend Doughnuts Under a Crescent Moon, Even Though We’re Adults, and Run Away With Me Girl.

Doughnuts and Run Away are short and sweet, although the latter has some depictions of an abusive relationship (I don’t think there’s anything too much for a fourteen year old unless they’re kind of sheltered).

Even Though We’re Adults isn’t finished in English yet (seven out of ten volumes have been released) and may require a bit more life experience than a fourteen year old to fully get? But it’s a remarkably kind story about how life is complicated.

Our Dreams at Dusk is more about LGBTQ+ people in general with the main character being a gay teen, but there’s prominent lesbian characters and it’s a fantastic four volume series that made me cry.

And if you liked Utena I think you should try out Rose of Versailles. Exactly how gay it is a matter of debate but it’s undeniably massively influential to the scene