Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
Bakemonogatari is fantastic, and I can easily recommend watching through all of it. Nisemonogatari has a fantastic villain and it's also got huge chunks of entire episodes dedicated to absolutely loving bizarre fanservice. Gonna have to echo the statement that if you're gonna stop anywhere, it'd be on, like, the fourth episode of Nise. If not that, the eighth. It's a strange thing when the creepy middle-aged man who cons middle schoolers out of money has less weird scenes than the main protagonist.

Nothing quite as weird happens in Bakemonogatari, and definitely not with Araragi's sisters or Shinobu, so you don't have to worry about it there.

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Sep 21, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
Make subs-only mandatory for participation in the K-On simul.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
I'll just keep thinking of Nisemonogatari as the season that gave me Kaiki Deishu and Platinum Disco.

I don't think you'll have to worry too much with Nekomonogatari. If you were fine with the cat girl Hanekawa fanservice in Bake, it's all just that.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
Space Dandy is awesome, but it's not really much of an optimistic space show as it was a vehicle for crazy directors to make really fun stories with little-to-no interconnection and lots of really amazing art and animation.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
I finished watching the Trigun anime recently, and I really liked it. It's a lot of fun, Vash is a really good protagonist and the first few episodes are a lot of lighthearted, goofy action, with the later ones having some really cool, more serious stuff mixed in. I think it actually ends at a pretty good place, one that feels very fitting for the tone of the story.

Trigun: Badlands Rumble is also a really fun movie with plenty of action that matches both the tone of the early and late show as necessary, it doesn't dive anywhere into any of the main plot of the original series and is more of its own story much like the more self-contained ones in the show itself. It also has a cool cowboy bounty hunter lady as the main heroine. You can watch that at any time, all you really need to know is who the main cast of characters are. I recommend it.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
Actually, I just remembered that Cyber City Oedo 808 has some pretty kick-rear end action. You can watch it with the alternate soundtrack, and even with the dub for added effect.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

mabels big day posted:

What are some good normie animes?

One-Punch Man

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
Try watching G Gundam, I guess.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Pavlov posted:

Only if you can stand 50 episodes of japanese slapjack.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Pavlov posted:

I mean they could at least mix it up and activate a trap card every once in a while.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
karuta is the game of the strong

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Pavlov posted:

My favorite part is when they slap the card.

i haven't even watched through all of chihayafuru and am not a massive fan of it but jesus christ

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
poo poo, maybe I'm the real aids

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Quest For Glory II posted:

barakamon should be recommended over k-on in pretty much all respects

K-On has nicer animation, though honestly thinking about it I don't think they're quite comparable in what they set out to do.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

epitasis posted:

whats k-on

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WnRidgJJ3bE

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Drinkfist posted:

Well you can sit back down.

Actually, he can keep standing up. He can grab some stilts and stand even higher, even.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Drinkfist posted:

Good. The fall hurts more that way.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Torquemadras posted:

And unrelated, another action show I've heard stuff about : Giant Robo. I'm not really a fan of the mecha genre, but I LOVED TTGL and depressing-and-disturbing-Evangelion...

Even outside the realm of giant robots, Giant Robo is a really awesome action OVA.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
Smart Fanservice is like the Smart Bomb from Star Fox 64: it's big, it gets all over the place, and it's always useful in a pinch.

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Nov 24, 2015

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Smart Fanservice: "This character has sweet tits, it's a footnote irrelevant to the show at-large".

Regular Fanservice: "Oh hey, a trip to the hotsprings/beach/pool for one episode".

Stupid Fanservice: "THESE GIRLS PRANCING ABOUT IN HALF-NAKED OUTFITS IS KEY AND ESSENTIAL TO THE GRAND DRAMATIC OPUS OF THE PLOT BECAUSE :downswords.:"

so, uh, you're saying that smart fanservice is fanservice, regular fanservice is a fanservice episode, and stupid fanservice is fanservice that is silly or is the anime strike witches

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Kingtheninja posted:

I'm planning to marathon Macross in an effort to lead into the new show. I'm working my way through the original series, then planning to watch Macross 7 for the first time, then frontier. I'm wondering if it's worth checking out Plus, Macross 2, or Zero and when to fit them into the order if I do.

Totally watch Macross Plus, do not skip over that one. It's one of the best entries in the series.

I don't know anything about Macross 2, but I do know Macross Zero is supposed to be really bad, apparently.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Pavlov posted:

Endless Eight is bad.

Endless Eight is actually bad.

Endless Eight: it's bad.

It's bad (Endless Eight).

Things that are bad: Endless Eight.

Things that are not good: Endless Eight.

Endless Eight is not good.

Eight Eight is actually not good.

I'm gonna Endless Eightack you.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Captain Invictus posted:

poo poo! I saw a promising series based on the summary, which brought back memories of a horrible old wii game called Escape From Bug Island that was gloriously dumb, and was hoping for more of that.

Nope, just giant rape bugs, thanks japan :negative:

i don't know what you expected when the tags were Ecchi Horror Tragedy

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
Are you watching the Patlabor show, or the OVA + Movies? When you're done with whichever one you're watching, you should also watch the others.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
It doesn't quite have his usual style, but Yuasa's first job as director was on the pilot for Vampiyan Kids and it's a fun, short watch.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

CommissarMega posted:

The show, at the moment. How are the OVAs and movies compared to it?

the first ova hits the same tone in a few episodes, they're mostly comedic but they've also got a lot more tense moments and really cool action. the first movie is a cool detective mystery/action thing, and the second movie is a really slow-moving philosophical political story, all of it is among the best stuff Mamoru Oshii has directed

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
a lot of philosophical stuff in oshii films probably goes over my head but i still thought it was a really cool movie.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8fw51qtTY4

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
diebuster and gunbuster are both cool with lots of super rad animation, i think it just comes down to preference with both of them

also i haven't seen wings of honneamise yet but i don't know what i'd call the most beautiful movie i've seen, cause gently caress there are some really incredibly animated movies out there. i don't really even know if it would be possible for me to pick one as the most beautifully animated i've ever seen

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i'm just gonna say that tamako love story is my favorite feel-good movie of all time and i like it

my favorite movie in general is definitely mind game though

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
both of the patlabor and both of the ghost in the shell movies are ridiculously beautifully animated, or at least patlabor 1 is when it matters

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Help Im Alive posted:

I would say that's one of the ones everyone knows

I guess to be more specific since my request wasn't very helpful what are the good anime movies that aren't
- Studio Ghibli
- Satoshi Kon
- Redline
- Akira
- Grave of the Fireflies
- Cowboy Bebop
- Girl Who Leapt Through Time
- 5cm Per Second

(because those are the ones I've already seen)

tamako love story

it's technically a sequel movie to tamako market but it really stands on its own, tamako market is only even really worth watching for a handful of stand-out good episodes

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
metropolis is a good movie, also

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvAdqU7WBYg

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i'm going to recommend tamako love story again, cause it's cute and short

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Nate RFB posted:

Kaguya? Yeah that one was alright I suppose if only for the visuals, but then you get like a 12 year gap between it and Spirited Away (a movie that I at least don't care for, anyway). I guess The Cat Returns is kind of interesting since it kind of has a connection to Whisper of the Heart. But the rest? Give me Patema Inverted over any of them, easy.

what the gently caress, are you seriously calling howl's moving castle, ponyo, and the wind rises terrible films

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Nate RFB posted:

Arrietty is definitely terrible, though.

i mean it's definitely nowhere near some of their best but at the very least i remember it having some really good animation

but yeah, the wind rises is loving fantastic

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Brasseye posted:

I just finished Usagi Drop and while different to any other series Ive seen I really enjoyed it. Can anyone recommend something similar?

I can recommend that you don't read the manga.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Paperhouse posted:

Is this also the manga recommendation thread? I've only ever read one manga (20th Century Boys), now I have quite a bit of time at work where there's nothing to do and one of the only unblocked sites is a manga site for some reason. I'm going through Pluto at the moment, help me find what to read after. Obviously I like Urasawa a lot, and am particularly interested in seinen stuff that's more sci-fi/mystery/thriller/fantasy than comedy or slice of life. Any recommendations are appreciated because I really don't know much about manga at all

Billy Bat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Torquemadras posted:

Well, I tried to get into Patlabor. First the TV series, and when that didn't click for me, I tried the OVA. Yeah, and... I'm not that into it. :shrug: I dig the "realistic" aspect of the mechas, and it's occasionally really drat hilarious - Episode 4 of the OVA in particular was a pitch-perfect parody of kaiju movies, holy poo poo - but I'm... just underwhelmed by the mechas. And I don't really like the cast enough. Hm. I wasn't expecting another Diebuster (which instantly shot right into my Top 10 anime because I loving love FLCL and, as I discovered, cool mechas), but I'm still underwhelmed. Oh well.

So, let's try this the other way around! Any insanely hot-blooded and ridiculous mecha shows out there, in the vein of TTGL and Diebuster? (I think I ran out of comparable Gainax shows...?) Well, scratch that request for realism, now I want stupid awesome mecha action. I heard something about Code Geass being good, as well as season 2 of that being total rear end.

Any suggestions for the advancement of my mecha education are greatly appreciated. :toot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DlhtVgB7QuY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTgRgF6b3y8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-55YJpaDys