Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I like Durarara because one of the most terrifying and insane characters in the show comes of so normal at the start that when they revel their hand you start to wonder just at what point did they break.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Based on your "I'm embarassed to like this" list, watch Mirai Nikki. Imagine something as trashy as Elfen Lied or GANTZ except written by someone who a) isn't a complete shithead and b) knows how plot structure works. it takes that trash to wonderful, hilarious places

I will second this recommendation. It is a stupid story but it is also quite engaging and the characters are a lot of fun. Highlights include possibly the smartest villian in anime and a good example of just how terrifying a yandere can be.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Yes. That scene is rather graphic and I almost cringed when the trailer for the game decided that the best way to talk about berserk was to hint at that scene.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
What about a beat em up or a highschool anime do you not like? I am only asking as there are a couple shows I could recommend but they might include elements that you do not like. For example Fate/Zero includes a decent amount of fighting, but it is just as much about the intrigue and the character development of the various characters. Also what region of netflix are you watching?

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Pavlov posted:

Every year, I spend a bunch of time making maple syrup. I've spent enough time at it, that you might find me unusually opinionated about what you're putting on your pancakes. The place I go to do it is at my old school. I would love if the kids there actually gave a poo poo about this unique thing on their campus, but if one of them started saying they were going to dedicate their life to perfecting maple syrup, to the exclusion of everything else, I'd get pretty concerned.

I think there's like two different characters in Ping Pong who's character arcs are about how their obsession with the sport had become self-destructive. It's poo poo like that that sets the show apart.

How dare people want to dedicate themselves to an activity that combines both camaraderie, competition and exercise in one easy package.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Durarara has a decent dub.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Shageletic posted:

Sure if it's on Hulu. But gotta go through Durarara first and its sequel series, and I'm also going through Gundam Orphan edition and since I don't have a sick day for excuse, they might take me a while. Thanks for the recommendation though.

You should be set for a while then. Durarara and its sequel is 60+ episodes just by itself.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
It should be an interesting AOTY competition this year.

Edit: Would there be any interest/need for a companion thread which allows people to talk about the shows they have watched this year that were not released this year.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Ulio posted:

Log Horizon was one that was done really well. Because if you've ever played an MMO you know its more than just combat or meeting hot egirls. There is an in depth arc about trading in Log Horizon and guild wars. I mean I personally didn't like season 2 but loved season 1.

I am surprised that Log Horizon isn't talked about more. This happened less in season 2 but one of my favorite parts of the show was that they would introduce and explain concepts as parts of what first appears to be a gag but actually comes to really matter later on. What also helped is that the cast for the most part felt like actual gamers.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Konosuba is always good for a laugh if you haven't watched it.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Eela6 posted:

Just watch Brotherhood. You're not going to miss anything. I think the first three seasons are available on Netflix if you like streaming (at least in the US)

Hulu has the entire show.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Captain Invictus posted:

Turn a gundam is far, far better than just "good".

For gundam series for a newbie, there's 8th ms team, I hear the original gundam movies are good (or was it the Zeta movies), gundam zeta, Char's Counterattack, G gundam, and I hear iron blooded orphans is good.

Comedy option, gundam wing cartoon network dub

Iron Blooded Orphans is good but it does have a bittersweet ending.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I'm looking for something with a similar vibe to Mirai Nikki. This has been a bizarrely hard itch to scratch.

Basically, what I want is something fast-paced and bugfuck crazy, but with a legit good emotional core and good character writing in it. If it involves a Highlander-esque "there can be only one" situation and resulting ultra-convoluted plans piling up on each other, all the better, because I am a sucker for that poo poo.

Death Note comes pretty close, but doesn't really have the emotional core in it and is a little smaller-scale than I'd like, what with largely focusing on mind games between two people at a time, and not like 20 people at a time.

Fate/stay night and Fate/zero are even closer to the mark and would work perfectly, if I hadn't watched both UBW and F/z like six times each already and played through the entire literally-longer-than-War-and-Peace VN twice. They aren't quite as fast-paced and they don't have the occasional moments of "uh okay did this plot element just sneak in from a totally different show" MN does, but otherwise they hit everything perfectly, including the whole "everyone is constantly scheming against everyone else" bit.

Is there anything else out there like this, or am I basically hosed?

There is the Heavens Feel movie coming out in the future.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I ended up watching most of rahxephon a while ago but started to lose interest towards the end.

In regards to BigRed, have you watched the new Evangelion movies?

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Blood Blockade Battlefront might be worth a try as well.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
The Devil is a Part-Timer is a great show to watch.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Mirai Nikki should be watched just for having one of the smartest villains in any medium. Also it has a surprisingly good dub.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

What in particular are you looking for in a show?

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Ulio posted:

These are mangas I REALLY enjoyed Vinland Saga, Berserk, anything by Fukumoto(Kaiji writer), Baki The Grappler, Claymore. As you can see most of these are a bit mature. I don't know why but they don't feel edgey like Akame ga Kill which I thought would be the anime version of these types of mangas. Big mistake watching that show. I have been really interested in reading Toriko and Kingdom. Not sure how good they are but they might be weird/different enough to fit my taste.

Akame ga Kill is weird because for the most part it is kind of lovely, but it does also have a couple interesting moments that hint at the show being better then it actually is.

In terms of recommendations I would go with the first couple seasons of Soul Eater and then switch over to the manga once it veers towards original anime content. Also Hellsing Ultimate might be another show that you would enjoy watching.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
A bit late but one of the highlights of Hellsing is Seras taking full advantage of her vampiric strength and constantly wields ever larger guns to the point that isn't so much a soldier but an artillery piece.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
An advantage of Baccano is that if you like it then there is another anime done by the same author in a similar style called Durarara.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

AlternateNu posted:

Usagi Drop. So :3: (Can get real as gently caress.)
Arguably best Dad anime.

Make sure not to read the magna.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
The only thing I would add to Soul Eater is that if you like it enough be sure to read the manga as well.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I am not quite sure what I am looking for right now. I recently watched Boarding School Juliet, Koe no Katachi, and Rascal Does Not Dream of Bunny Girl Senpai so maybe something along those lines.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Davincie posted:

there's also my romantic teen comedy snafu for something severely less otaku than gatari

Assuming that is still directed at me then that is good recommendation hampered by the fact I have already watched and enjoyed the series.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Captain Invictus posted:

if manga is okay, you might enjoy Inubaka, it's about a girl at a pet shop that sells dogs in Japan and the dogs look like dogs instead of if you described a dog to an alien like a lot of mangas. be warned though, viz licensed it and then dropped it before finishing(I wish someone would pick up and finish the remaining 7 volumes), so it's not completely translated nor likely to be. but the translation in the scans of the official volumes are good, of course, even if the scan quality is garbo

there's one particular scene that just makes me tear up every single time I see it, it's really good.

Well that managed to get me to tear up as well.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Gamers (one of the funniest comedy of manners you'll ever see, just don't let the first episode fool you with its setup. It's a fakeout)

Rascal Does not dream of Bunny Girl Senpai. (Actually a really good character-driven show, and lets the protagonists HAVE a relationship rather than a will-they-won't-they thing)

Going to second both of these recommendations as over the last month or so I watched both for the first time and enjoyed every moment of it.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Neddy Seagoon posted:

What'd you think of episode ~6~? :allears:

I'm actually rewatching Gamers myself and just saw that one. It's one of my favourite anime episodes, full-stop. Are there any other anime series that pull the kind of misunderstandings Gamers does in such a finely-honed manner?

You mean besides the best thing ever?

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Dessel posted:

This is a slightly embarassing ask but... What are some of the best melodramatic maybe slightly trainwrecky "guilty pleasure" animes out there? Slightly "trashy" anime that's definitely not "a critic's choice" but entertaining to binge. Dramatic plot twists fit the type of show well.

I'd say the most obvious pick is Code Geass. Sword Art Online hits the spot too. Both include ridiculous power fantasies but that's not necessary. The protagonist coming into contact with powerful individuals/entities is almost preferable instead, honestly. Not sure I could stand them today but I guess Gundam SEED/Destiny fits the bill pretty well too.

edit: Currently airing reincarnated as a slime anime definitely does not fit the bill. The show has pretty much zero stakes from what I've watched.

I've actually watched Future Diary, and yeah it kinda fits the bill for sure.
v

Domestic Girlfriend might be what you are looking for.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Arcsquad12 posted:

Mecha shows with a more adult bent recommendations? I'm trying to find something that satisfies my need for giant robits without devolving into tits and rear end when the plot runs thin. I've seen Patlabor, Votoms and Flag, as well as most of the more adult oriented Gundam series. Anything else that fits that mould?

Iron Blooded Orphans might be what you are looking for.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Furnaceface posted:

FMA is not lacking in the muscles department either.

When compared to JoJo it is, but to be fair every show is lacking in muscles compared to early JoJo.

Also another good show to watch is My Hero Academia. It doesn't do anything new but almost everything it does is done extremely will.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Neddy Seagoon posted:

On a tangent, has there ever been an anime that actually went in a better direction than the manga?

There is one. I forget the name of it but the basic plot was salaryman adopted a little girl and was really cute. The thing is that the anime ended before the manga did and the manga ending had said little girl grow up and start dating her foster father.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Meme Emulator posted:

Speaking of power fantasies, are there any isekai where the power fantasy is a little more... ambitious I guess would be the word? Everyone gets a cheat power and then just uses it to free a few slaves (or make a few slaves) and fight back against someone who badmouths them or something. Is there anything about a guy who seizes power and remakes the nation

Overlord might be what you are looking for.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Considering that Snafu managed to get another season after such a long hiatus there is some hope for other shows that haven't been touched in a while to get a new season.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Lunatic Crossing posted:

Is the Senryuu Shoujo anime from last season a good adaptation? I skipped it because it sounded generic, but I've been reading the manga lately and it's really cute and funny.

I haven't read the manga but it was an extremely adorable anime.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Dias posted:

I'm super outta the loop when it comes to the year's anime, I've watched Sarazanmai which I quite liked and nothing else. What were the standouts in you guys' opinions? It feels like last year had more hyped poo poo.

Love is War is amazing and you should watch it.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Dias posted:

Love is War is the one about the girl and the dude that like each other but don't wanna tell each other they like each other, right? I assume it's a romcom then? I'm up for classroom shenanigans.

It's an adorable show about Tsun on Tsun combat that is well worth a watch before getting started on the manga.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Soul Eater constantly made me sympathize with the villains, up to a certain point where a character who was previously "kind of a jerk, but also... like... kind of fighting for her life given what the protagonists do for a living" is revealed to also be a horrific emotional abuser of her son at which point I stopped caring and dropped it.

Out of curiosity how far did you get into the series?

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I watched the anime up to the point I described, maybe a little further. It was years ago so I don't have an episode count or anything. If the manga does things in a different order or treats the characters in question differently I'd be curious to hear about it.

Medusa and her sister are basically rouge witches who do everything they can to gently caress with the worlds balance and are quite happy to target and harm their own kind to get it done. Witches in general do lean towards the chaotic side which is why there is the whole clash with Grim because he is an embodiment of order. Once that stuff is delved into and some change of leadership occur the resolution is very much about ending the conflict between the two sides.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Fooma posted:

Looking for a recommendation for a mecha + magic anime. Like where the mecha themselves are wizards or use magic instead of rockets.

I’ve watched Scrapped Princess and more on point, Wizard Barristers, and looking for things more in that style. Wizard Barristers was great in theme but not story or style.

I have the major streaming devices available but I’m thinking this will lead to more of the obscure stuff.

Would Escaflowne count?